#1 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

In the past I have always used disposable razors, not the really cheap ones but stuff like Gillette sensor 3. There has never been a problem with them but as i get older and the skin on my face has lost some of its elasticity I notice my skin is very irritated after shaving even when I use sensitive skin razors, I have been looking at different options available but all i can deduce from the packaging is that different competitors have different amounts of blades. 

if you have been in the same situation and have tried many of the different brands or if you just have a favourite one, let me know because I'm getting pretty sick of shaving the hair off my face to replace it with a bright red beard.

#2 Posted by Three0neFive (2304 posts) -

I've been using the same Gillette disposable razor for almost a year now

You're all just pussies.

#3 Posted by lancer75 (88 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:

" I've been using the same Gillette disposable razor for almost a year now  You're all just pussies. "

I shave with a sword, you're also a pussy.
#4 Posted by Nasar7 (2813 posts) -

Get the schick hydro 5. Once you get used to it, you will never go back.

#5 Posted by raiz265 (2242 posts) -
@lancer75 said:
" @Three0neFive said:

" I've been using the same Gillette disposable razor for almost a year now  You're all just pussies. "

I shave with a sword, you're also a pussy. "
I use flames.
#6 Posted by FlyingRat (1446 posts) -

I use an electric razor. The last time i did otherwise was several years ago and then i used very cheap disposable ones, so i don't think i can help you, mate...

#7 Posted by StaticFalconar (4850 posts) -
@lancer75 said:
" @Three0neFive said:

Yo I use an actual razer blade like the kind you cut crack with.  lols 

But yeah to the OP, if your face really is that sensitive, then I recommend you buy a ladies razer that they usually use for the legs since from the commercials it looks like thier razer is completely surrounded by gel or something that makes your skin not feel scratched. Or you can just man up and start using shaving cream if you haven't already. 
#8 Edited by buzz_clik (7030 posts) -
@lancer75 said:

" @Three0neFive said:

I haven't shaved in 11 years. Ecce homo, kids.
#9 Edited by Six (613 posts) -

why isn't anyone suggesting the obvious?  don't shave... just keep a trimmed beard.

"i don't always shave, but when i do, i drink Dos Equis."  isn't that right Zack?

#10 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11415 posts) -
@Six said:
" why isn't anyone suggesting the obvious?  don't shave... just keep a trimmed beard. "
This. I was just about to say that real men don't shave. The longer your beard, the realer you are (which is why I keep my beard fairly trimmed, and why two thirds of ZZ Top are the realest dudes around). 
#11 Posted by yakov456 (1925 posts) -

Spend some cash and go with a wet/dry electric. The refills for those reusable razors are insanely expensive.

#12 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

try out an electric razor maybe that will help. you should just not care about your skin being irritated with it.

#13 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@raiz265 said:
" @lancer75 said:
" @Three0neFive said:

I use flames. "
I don't shave, so I have this sweet-ass beard now. Y'all are pussies.
#14 Posted by npeterson08 (502 posts) -

The blades inside electric razors can get dull and need to get replaced (not nearly as often as disposable razors), and can be fairly expensive ($30ish). 

I've used an electric razor all my life and I find my skin gets really dry during winter, which wouldn't be an issue if I used shaving cream and a disposable.

#15 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (464 posts) -

I remember when I was young, I used to covet any facial hair I could muster, and was genuinely excited at the prospect of having to shave - as it somehow made me more of a man. 
Cut to years later, and I'm so fucking tired of having to put in the effort, I can't imagine why I ever looked forward to it. 

That aside, your problem is probably the shaving cream you use. A blade is a blade, no matter how many of them you strap onto a razor.

#16 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

for some reason razors keep winding up int he half price bin at my local grocery store, so I've had a chance to try out a wide range of them. The Gillette Fusions are the best of the ones that I've used, but I would never pay regular price for them. I use a Mach 3 and it really is much better than those bulk ones. I also prefer it to the disposable Mach 3s, because it has some weight to it.

That said, razor blades cost orders of magnitude more than its reasonable. If you buy anything beyond the bulk disposables, you are getting royally ripped off. I think its worth it, but I also wear button shirts so I guess I'm just another pussy.

#17 Posted by RobbieMac (535 posts) -

I use a Schick Quattro (4 blades obviously) and I also have an electric razor if I am feeling lazy or just cleaning up.  Not sure if you use aftershave, but if your skin is getting irritated I highly suggest it, works wonders (though it can burn a bit when you first start to use it).  Though to be completely honest the number of blades doesn't matter too much, just take a look at at a straight blade.  It is a single blade, but it is by far the closest shave you will ever get.

To be honest razor blades a rip off, that is why if you are looking to save a buck just stick with the disposables and try aftershave.  If that doesn't work you could always do electric since you get no irritation from those.

#18 Posted by joecool626 (22 posts) -

I have tried many different ways of shaving and, depending on your budget and desired end results, a reusable razor is a good choice. I used disposable razors and it felt as if though those would get dull rather quickly. I then switched to an electric razor. That was fine but the machine would require a lot of up keep. I miss kept it and it went bad real quick. You have to be real careful how you clean and lube it. I have since then switched to a reusable razor and the blades seem to last forever. I shave every other day to avoid razor bumps and burn on my neck, witch may have something to do with the blades lasting so long.  

The most important thing to keep in mind for a good shave is the routine you use. Any type of shaving has a regiment that should be followed to get a comfortable result.For a razor, disposable or not you should always wet your face with warm watter to soften the hair and use a quality shaving creme. Try to lessen the strokes that you take as much as possible to prevent unnecessary irritation. That should be followed by a good astringent to make sure that your face is disinfected to prevent break outs. Then finally a good after shave balm to help your skin recover from all the micro cuts that it gets from shaving.  

Also make sure that you dry whatever instrument you use to shave. Rust is the main reason for dull blades.

#19 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

I've used an electric razor for a while now, one of those phillips ones that suck up most of the hair, and it works pretty well, my skin is also a lot better for it, I used to get spots from shaving but alas I no longer do.

I also have a pretty beard going on, if I do say so myself.

#20 Posted by matti00 (675 posts) -

I had the same problem as you, I got quite sore skin after shaving. The other problem was, being clean shaven made me look about 12 years old. Listen to the people, if you have sore skin, get an electric razor and try out a stubble or trimmed beard look for a while. Your neck will thank you for it!

#21 Posted by Marz (5672 posts) -

electric shaver with a measurement for 5' o clock shadow is all you need to look awesome.

#23 Edited by PenguinDust (12641 posts) -

I use the Gillette Fusion Power and its branded shaving gel.  I found that electric shavers didn't provide a close enough shave for my face and standard disposable blades were very short-lived before becoming irritating.  Then I found the Fusion Power and it's worked wonders for years now.  It has 5 blades that vibrate giving it the best qualities of an electric and a standard razor.  The refill packs are a little more than I think they should be but for me, one cartridge lasts for 6 weeks and so when I buy 8 cartridges in a pack, I'm good for a year so its price tag is absorbed easily over that time.  I read there is a new & improved version out now called the Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power with thinner blades for a smoother shaving experience.  I don't know if that's true, since the old one works well for me.   

I'm not sure what type of shaving cream or gel you're using, but that can be a contributor to your results.  As I said, I use the Gillette Fusion Hydra-gel; specifically the one with Aleo for sensitive skin.  At some point in my aging, my skin became more sensitive and I'd had to avoid some products because of it.  I didn't used to be that way, but I am now.  I get really itchy on the affected area if something is wrong.  There are certain shampoos and body wash/soaps that I can not use anymore because of this.  The same is true of my shaving gels.  I suggest you switch to an aloe infused gel that's made for extra-sensitive skin. 

#24 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

thanks guys, some helpful ideas there

#25 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1642 posts) -

Since people being helpful in this thread,I'll chime in.
 Does anyone know how to stop razor bumps from appearing?They're ruining my face and forcing me to let this horrible facial hair of mine grow.

#26 Edited by Tebbit (4486 posts) -
@buzz_clik said:

" @lancer75 said:

" @Three0neFive said:

I haven't shaved in 11 years. Ecce homo, kids. "
People with beards: ruining it for the rest of us since 2000. 

@Lemoncookie01 said:
" Since people being helpful in this thread,I'll chime in.  Does anyone know how to stop razor bumps from appearing?They're ruining my face and forcing me to let this horrible facial hair of mine grow. "
Just go slow as hell. Like, painstakingly slowly. 
#27 Posted by Phr4nk0 (350 posts) -

I got myself some hair clippers just like the ones they use at the hairdressers with the clip on measurement comb things. Cost me like $20. I use a number 3, run that over my face, takes like 2 minutes, blow it clean, then repeat about a month or 2 later depending on how lazy I feel. Don't wet my face first so no need to worry about rust. Dont bother with upkeep or whatever and have had it for 2 years now.  If it breaks I'll buy another... $20 every 2 years doesn't exactly break the bank.
#28 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1642 posts) -
@Tebbit: I already shave slow,If I went any slower the shaving gel would dry on my face.
#29 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

I'm too lazy to shave. I literally forget when I'm supposed to until I have this jungle pretty much. Tis gotten real bad sometimes.

#30 Posted by Toxin066 (3330 posts) -

If you must shave, go with some sort of straight razor. Sharpen it on your own and also be a badass at the same time.

#31 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -

I use disposables simply because I'm so bad at losing my razors. However, I do have to say the absolute best shave I have ever had is a wet-shave at the barber. I've been meaning to go back.

#32 Posted by Getz (3159 posts) -

It's been so long since I've shaved with a razor. I just use a bare beard trimmer. It leaves a little bit of stubble behind, but I can pull it off and it's less hassle.

#33 Posted by lazyturtle (1229 posts) -

I've had this problem. I currently use a Mach3Turbo (or whatever the hell they call it now, it changes nearly every year). The blades run about $1 apiece, about what disposables cost me. I can get 2-3 shaves per blade...no clue what you get on your disposables. So cost wise, its about the same but gives a much more comfortable shave. Also try shave lotion afterwards, it helps a lot.  Also, check with the manufacturer..you might be able to get a free razor. Its like crack, they know if you try it once you're not going anywhere else (too much trouble). 

A word on electrics: I've tried 3 electric razors now..I've given up on the idea. They will give you a shave, but its never as close as a blade will do. Plus it takes a month of shitty shaves to get a decent one (some crap about how your face needs to get used to it). 

#34 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

#35 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
#36 Posted by melcene (3034 posts) -

I've used the same Gilette Mach 3 razor for years now.  Blades are kind of expensive, I'll admit, though the blades usually last me quite a while. 

Also: 

@Lemoncookie01 said:

" Since people being helpful in this thread,I'll chime in.  Does anyone know how to stop razor bumps from appearing?They're ruining my face and forcing me to let this horrible facial hair of mine grow. "
I learned an awesome trick for razor bumps (in any area).  After shaving, apply Neosporin.
#37 Posted by tineyoghurt (358 posts) -
@drag said:
" @buft: Get a decent metal safety razor, a thing of beauty. Then replacement blades cost pennies compared to the ones for the razors with a billion blades on them which are an absolute disgraceful rip-off.   Or just a nice electric shaver if your skin is really that sensitive.  "
This is a great stuff. The main problem with a safety razor is that you have to spend some time in the bathroom if you want the really close shave.  

Oh, why not, here's a weird youtube video on the matter: 

#38 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

I use a Remington R5130, but I'm getting a Philips 4050/32 trimmer for a more beardly experience. 

So we'll see how that goes.

#39 Posted by dudeglove (8308 posts) -
@buft:  Check this dude out at the 3:10 mark. He gives a rundown on a traditional wet shave.

#40 Posted by Sweep (8984 posts) -
#41 Posted by Xeiphyer (5612 posts) -

Have you tried shaving while in the shower? Having water flowing over the area you are shaving helps it stay nice and smooth and avoid irritation. 

I've never gotten razorburn while shaving in the shower, but for the record I use disposable razors and am 20 =P

#42 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I use gillette shaving foam before I shave and afterwards I use aftershave to get rid of all the redness. Maybe get some after shave. Also have two razors, one disposible and the other one electric to get the rest. It's a good strategy. You won't be going too rough on the skin trying to get the rest of the hairs and stuff.

#43 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

When you said a reusable razor, I thought you meant a straight razor. If your skin is getting badly irritated, maybe you're using the razor too long and the blade is becoming dull.

#44 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -
@Six said:
" why isn't anyone suggesting the obvious?  don't shave... just keep a trimmed beard.  "i don't always shave, but when i do, i drink Dos Equis."  isn't that right Zack? "
I support this post in its entirety.
#45 Posted by Example1013 (4807 posts) -

I've used really cheap, bulk-bag disposable razors for the past 2 years, but at the beginning of this schoolyear when I went to college, I got one of those ProGlides Gillette makes. I have to say, the ProGlide really does give a much better shave than disposables, without question. Like, it's a night-and-day difference. I also have a trimmer in case I want to grow out my beard a bit, but I just shaved every inch of face yesterday because the beard was fucking with my archering. 

I really hate shaving, though, which is why I have an electric razor, a trimmer thing, and a reusable razor with disposable heads. 

I'd love to shave with a straight razor, but that would probably take too much time, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have one of those in my dorm room.