Would you be embarrass to tell someone you don't watch sports?

• 108 results
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By falserelic

Poll Would you be embarrass to tell someone you don't watch sports? (543 votes)

I wouldn't have a problem admitting it, don't care what people think. 76%
Depends on the circumstances or the people I'm around with at the moment. 5%
Yeah I usually pretend that I'm into sports when I'm not, I don't like admitting the truth. 1%
I love sports I just want to see the poll. 19%

This happens to me at work alot. People would assume I'm into sports when i'm not. There's times when I tell the truth and other times I don't. Though if I lie about it nothing good comes out of it. Since most of the time I have no idea what the person is talking about. It could be a certain player or game that's going on, and I usually have no idea whats happening or care for that matter.

Sports never clicked for me. Only one that I was into for abit was ufc. At the time I was taking tae kwon do lessons, but overtime I even got bored of watching it. In general I find sports to be boring for me...and sports games aswell.

Sometimes it can be embarssing admitting the truth. Since I'm a 6'2 toned African-American most people think I play football or basketball, but when I tell them I'm not into sports. They'll have a very dumb-founded look on their face.

• 
Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Zeik

There's plenty I am embarrassed to admit about myself, but not caring about sports is not one of them. I could not care less if people think I like sports. Maybe it would be different if I had bunch of co-workers way into sports.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More embarrassing to act like you do only to go all 'deer in the headlights' when they ask a followup. Speaking from personal experience on that smh

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I would hope that not liking sports isn't a hard thing to admit. Besides, if someone doesn't like me for not liking sports, then that's a pretty good measure of their personality, landing them firmly in the "ignore unless needed" category.

I understand the appeal but athletic competition has never done anything for me.

SumMexican75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being fat makes sports my natural enemy.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I run a lot so sports are like that but with other people, which probably sucks. I don't know. I'm Australian. I'll probably be deported if I openly broadcast my lack of interest in sports.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not in the least. I tell people all the time. No one in my family ever watched sports, so I never got into them either. If anyone has an issue with that, I couldn't care less.

I do understand most sports a bit from going to an occasional baseball game and playing sports video games as a kid.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Fuck. That. I have never met anyone who has dismissed me for not liking sports. Your interests are never ever going to line up 100% with another person. If something you're (dis)interested in genuinely affects a person's opinion of you(excluding initial judgments, people are always going to need things to base impressions off of before they get to know your personality. Even then, unless you both go awkward silence mode a disagreement can turn into a good conversation just as easy as an agreement) then they're just saving you the trouble of having to talk to them.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Who the fuck cares.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been in an NFL fantasy league for a few years now and I didn't watch a single game of football last season (other than one time at a sports bar). My friends know that I'm not really interested in sports anymore and nobody cares.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

No, you don't have to like everything.

I like sports, but if people talk about some other thing I'm supposed to be into I'm not gonna pretend.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like basketball and football. I'll admit that I love basketball, but football? I'd rather act clueless than talk about the state of my favorite team... I'm a Raiders Fan... It hasn't been great over here for a long time...

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I do care what people think - but not enough to lie about what I do or don't like.

That said, even in the military I have yet to find someone who's reacted poorly to my saying I don't like or play sports.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#13  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

Eh not liking sports doesn't seem like it should be very high on a list of things that you should be embarrassed about. People assume a lot of things by the way we look unfortunately. If they can't get pass the first impression then maybe it isn't worth starting a conversation with them.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I care what some people think, but I still say I don't like sports. I've never met anyone that thought less of me because I don't care for sports. It isn't that big of a deal, especially not big enough to stress socially over.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

There's plenty I am embarrassed to admit about myself, but not caring about sports is not one of them. I could not care less if people think I like sports. Maybe it would be different if I had bunch of co-workers way into sports.

This for me as well.

I could understand hiding the fact that you like anime and other really nerdy shit like that, but hiding the fact that you don't like sports sounds absolutely bizarre to me. I don't think I've ever met a single person who has judged me based on whether I like or dislike sports before.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

As a person whose mood sometimes depends on the result of a Red Sox or Bruins game, I'll say you should never be embarrassed to say to don't like sports. That said, give sports another shot. They are a ton of fun.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better question is: would i be embarassed to tell someone i don't watch pro wrestling?

I would be. Very. :'(

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#18 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I have no problem admitting that I do not watch a lot of sports, all my friends are aware of this. That is not to say I don't enjoy sports, I just vastly prefer playing them than watching them. As far as what sports I actually watch: a couple Chargers games a season, a couple NJ Devils games a season.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone who would think less of me because I didn't watch sports isn't someone who I'd be concerned about anyway. The poll is oddly biased toward watching sports being the norm.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know anyone that would actually care if I watched sports or not.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Hailinel

Absolutely no one I know would care whether or not I like sports.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I like sports, if you don't care about it I don't think anybody would think any less of you dude. Being a sports fan can sometimes be the saddest thing in the world, go ask people from Cleveland.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't care most of the time but when there is a World Cup or Olympic Games I get excited more than most so I don't know if I should call myself a sports fan or not. I don't care much about domestic leagues jus the international stuff with countries competing and I am not afraid to admit that I don't know much about Premier Leauge or Champions Leauge. Don't know anything about American sports like American Football or Baseball or Basketball. Babe Ruth and Micheal Jordan is all I know about that.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Sports Sports Sports!

I dont see how you can be a gamer and not be into sports.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind telling people I'm not into sports (Despite being from Australia, where it can be a bit of a religion...), now, telling people I'm into cricket and Dota 2, that could potentially be embarrassing depending on the audience.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I like sports so this is a hard thing for me to personally answer. I can say, however, that if someone else told me they weren't into sports I wouldn't give two shits. People can like or dislike whatever they want, someone not liking sports wouldn't make me think any less of them.

snoojis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only watched sports when my friends at the time were into them. Like a couple years ago I liked watching Hockey with a couple of people. Without them I wouldn't have cared less. Now... whatever.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Why haven't you seen sports?

it's only like 2 minutes...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Loading Video...

for some reason, this came to mind when I read the thread.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's way worse to explain that the only sports I'm interested in are curling and soccer. I'm American, so people think I'm trying to be obtuse. In actuality, I just happen to find them compelling. But, anyone who judges your leisure time is kind a douchebag anyways, so it's a moot point I guess!

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Flappy

Sports are good for both the body and the mind. Well, that is until you get too invested in your team and their success (or lack thereof) has an effect on your emotions.

On the flipside, talking shit about other fandoms is an amazing feeling that everyone should experience. Wanna vent? Talk shit about the New York Knicks! Even when they're winning, they're still pretty garbage. It's an easy way of picking up my spirits after I think about Dwyane Wade's knee issues.

Or the fact that Kobe Bryant has like, 2 more years in the league. :(

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love sport, but I certainly don't look down on people who don't care for it. Its all personal taste. What I do find annoying is how people are ADAMANTLY anti-sport for no good reason and have to tell you how much they hate it.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sports are for nerds.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Sports are for nerds.

sport statistic nerds are the worst

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sterling
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Of course not. That'd be silly.

Silly to be embarrassed for, and silly for someone to give you shit for not watching sports.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely not. If someone can't get over the fact that you don't like the same things they do, that person is a lady/man-child and probably isn't worth talking to in the first place until they grow the hell up.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Daveyo520

Sports are cool too :(

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By egg

damnit op, why did you make this thread? Now the NSA knows that you don't like sports. Have fun at Gitmo!

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking as an Australian, it generally seems like a good idea to follow AFL since it basically functions as a common ground which everyone can talk about.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V-Sports is where it's at these days.

All these meatspace lameazoids don't know anything.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Pretty sure most people who know me know I don't care for sports anyway.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only embarrassed when I say it in front of a crowd and my pants suddenly drop.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CaLe

It's even worse when you're not at all interested in music of any kind, but even then I've no problems telling people when they ask. If someone asks about sport I just tell them I enjoy watching tennis, because I do.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rebel_Scum

I'm shocked when I'm surrounded by a group of guys and they aren't into sports. If its one individual then I'm like meh ok next topic.

@crysack said:

Speaking as an Australian, it generally seems like a good idea to follow AFL since it basically functions as a common ground which everyone can talk about.

Hmm, I'd disagree with that. AFL is only popular in Vic, Western Sydney and a little bit in Brisbane and Perth. Give it 20 years and then yeah you'll have a stronger case.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I broadly don't care. I make exceptions for things like the Olympics or World Cup, wherein it's so big that it's a lot easier to pretend you care than get into the inevitable scuffle with the one guy who super cares that you don't care. Of course maybe that says more about the company I keep and the demeanour I used to uphold than anything else.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got into American Football but before that I wasn't really into sports. I'd tell people if they asked and be prepared to start answering questions about "why not?" as if I'm some kind of lab experiment because I don't watch soccer.

Toby999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I've never cared about any sport at all

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Fuck no!

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Of course not. Why would I be embarrassed about something like that? I love when someone asks me if I saw "the game" last night or asks for my thoughts on a certain situation, and I say "I have no idea what you're talking about." Or I'll get an incredulous "why not?", as if they almost cannot comprehend the idea, and I'll tell them it's because sports are fucking boring, man. People can like what they want, I don't give a shit, but I honestly don't get people who intensely follow several sports, nor do I understand where they get the time to keep up on all that shit.

I do loosely follow basketball, though.