Would you boycott art because you dislike the creator?

• 154 results
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Poll Would you boycott art because you dislike the creator? (401 votes)

Yes, if the creator's an asshole, I don't want them to have my money. 28%
Yes, but only if they use their money to fund things I'm morally opposed to. 18%
I'm not sure. 10%
No, I don't believe my opinions about the artist should affect my enjoyment of their art. 30%
No. If Hitler made a badass album, I'd totally buy it. 13%

So my brother wrote this long post on Facebook about how we should all boycott the Ender's Game movie because Orson Scott Card is "a bigot and a Mormon." I feel like this is kind of an interesting attitude considering that before he knew Card's opinions, he was actually pretty fond of that series. There have been a lot of things that people have backed out of supporting due to the controversy surrounding them, things like Pax and Penny-Arcade, Chick Fil A, Roman Polanski, and even FEZ. I'm curious what you guys think about all of this.

Personally I feel like if there's something worth buying, then I wouldn't let the creator get in the way of my purchase. If they go and spend their money on something awful, I don't really care, because they earned that money fair and square by creating something I enjoy. Am I a homophobe because I love chicken sandwiches?

• 
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By davidwitten22

The fact that he calls him "a bigot and a Mormon" makes your brother sound like a bigot himself. I bet your brother doesn't know a thing about Mormons.

What I'm suggesting is that I don't want to buy your brothers album.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I guess it really comes down to how you feel about hate sex.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#153  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I've had a STRONG dislike of Jamie Foxx ever since seeing the following clip, but I had to push past that to watch Django Unchained. Fuck White House Down, or whatever other movies he's in, though. He's right up there with Christian Bale in the "piece of shit bully" category, for me.

Loading Video...

So yeah, it basically depends on how much I was bothered by the initial offense, and how much I want to see / hear / play whatever project they're currently associated with.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#154  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@truthtellah said:

@shadowconqueror said:

The author is dead, man.

What author are you referring to?

Orson Scott Card is still alive.

He's referring to the literary philosophy that the author's intent doesn't matter when analyzing writing, and people should be free to interpret art in whatever way they want regardless of how the author wanted it to be interpreted.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@shadowconqueror said:

The author is dead, man.

He's referring to the literary philosophy that the author's intent doesn't matter when analyzing writing, and people should be free to interpret art in whatever way they want regardless of how the author wanted it to be interpreted.

What?

I mean, I understand your point regarding interpretation of art. It's a valid perspective on looking at artwork, but I'm not sure what it has to do with someone worrying that their money will go to someone who will use it to do things against their interests. I'm guessing you're possibly just making a joke.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@arbitrarywater said:

@truthtellah said:

@shadowconqueror said:

The author is dead, man.

What?

I mean, I understand your point regarding interpretation of art. It's a valid perspective on looking at artwork, but I'm not sure what it has to do with someone worrying that their money will go to someone who will use it to do things against their interests. I'm guessing you're possibly just making a joke.

Eh, I dunno. I took an English class once or twice and wanted to sound smart. I have no idea what that guy is actually trying to say, other than maybe he doesn't care if money goes towards someone he disagrees with?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#157 fisk0  Moderator

No. Burzum is the best example I can think of, he's a batshit insane neo-nazi nuthead, but he's released some of the very best metal albums in the past 25 years, and it'd be crazier to miss out on them.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@truthtellah said:

@shadowconqueror said:

The author is dead, man.

What?

Eh, I dunno. I took an English class once or twice and wanted to sound smart. I have no idea what that guy is actually trying to say, other than maybe he doesn't care if money goes towards someone he disagrees with?

I think he just thought Orson Scott Card was dead, which would indeed make this question moot. It's an easy mistake to make, as Card is rather old. People often assume figures like that are dead.