Would you consider yourself straightedge/don't use drugs/smoke/drink? (Q of the Day 12-27-10)

• 168 results
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Skytylz

I drink occasionally with friends.  I've never done anything else despite having plenty of opportunities. 

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Xeiphyer

I am always up for getting drunk with some friends on occasion, its expensive to do frequently and university uses up a lot of our spare time.

Not a smoker or drug user, Not a fan of smoking anything.

fearthephins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By fearthephins

I'm pretty clean... I drink occasionally with friends and at parties but that's about it. I don't do any drugs and I've tried smoking and I didn't like it.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

I've dabbled in stuff, can't mention what due to the TOS.  I can't remember some of it though, so that might not help either.  

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Still have a year before I can legally drink (and I have not done so yet) and as for drugs, I have no intention of ever getting into that kind of stuff. I saw what it did to my cousin's life and I will never allow for that to happen to me.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Turambar

No, I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs.  Though I don't consider myself a straight edge either.  I'm just a guy that don't smoke drink or do drugs.  One would hope that'd actually be more normal than being a smoker/drinker/druggie.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

"Free" of having done anything. I don't plan on it either. 

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dany

Don't bother myself with all that shit, doubt I will

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

B.  I've never drank/smoked in my life.  When I turn 21, I might have a few drinks here and there.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By jasta

Don't really drink, don't smoke or do drugs.

What straight-edge actually is, is misrepresented quite alot.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Hot_Karl

Straight edge? Like this man? 

No Caption Provided

I've had experience with drugs before, and during my trip to England this summer, I drank and started smoking as well. I'm cutting down and hoping to eventually turn straight edge but I do drink on occasion because I get loosened up and apparently more entertaining when I'm drunk. But wouldn't it be nicer to be loose and entertaining...while sober
eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eristocrat

I drink at least a beer or two most nights and I smoke that stuff (you know the stuff).

radix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By radix

I enjoy a drink every now and then, but not enough to really get shit-hammered. I've never bothered with smoking, but I have had a particular three-lettered substance slipped in a drink before that I'd rather not repeat again.

eternitymemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eternitymemory

I've tried wine twice and had a wine cooler once and wasn't really compelled to get further into drinking more alcoholic drinks. I have 0 desire to ever get into smoking or drugs.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By astrotriforce

Although I wouldn't quite use the term "straightedge" (despite being a metalhead and enjoying some hardcore), you could put me in that category. I've never smoked, never taken a sip of alcohol at 26 (and never will) and have not and never will touch any kind of drug including pot.  

Especially considering my best friend is a recovering meth addict and was just arrested the other day cause he had a previous GTA and was "on the run", although I got him in a 6-month program called Church on the Street and he was doing phenomenally well (the best he's ever been in fact). He was two weeks away from graduating from that... But he was driving his baby's mommas car taking them to the mall (a no-no) and was in an accident and now had spend his Christmas in jail. :( I'm praying for the best possible outcome, his courtdate is on Wed. If any of you are praying men/women please lift him up. I'm glad he went through the program though and didn't just turn himself in like we talked about six months ago, I believe he is now fully prepared spiritually and won't go back to his old gangsta ways if he does in fact have to serve hard time (max is like five years :/). In fact just two days before he was arrested he was telling me all the things he has learned, one of which was to "be joyful always, even when the situation doesn't call for it". Suffice it to say I was amazed. So hopefully things will turn out positively in the end. I have faith they will and in him. 

But anyway yeah, I'll never touch any of that crap. So "never have, never will" is my motto. Definitely could consider me "straight edge" in that sense. 

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jkz

Do both pretty regularly.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ya this is the internet, im not gonna go out and start making up stories about how i smoked weed a bunch of times and i didnt like it or how i went to a party and i drank a few cans of beer or something cause honestly thats not gonna make u any cooler among the eyes of a gaming community.  and ya i havent done anything like that

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By astrotriforce

Glad to see that B is the winning choice so far. :) 

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Rockdalf

Drink on occasion.  Nothing like getting hammered with a few friends and wandering town looking for trouble.  And of course with drinking one has to smoke a good cigar. 

But I have no interest in using.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hourai

I drink fairly often and smoke a few times a year, but that's about it. If people wouldn't offer it I'd probably never smoke again. 

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cnlmullen

I used to drink and smoke like 2 packs a day. Its been about 11 months since my last cigarette, and I really don't drink anymore either.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, and I plan on staying away from all that.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By triple07

I drink occasionally and have done drugs in the past but only on occasion. I know what drugs and alcohol can do to you if you let it so I only let myself have a drink or something if I don't have anything important to do. Also I don't smoke since I find it pretty disgusting.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MEATBALL

I'm a smoker and am not adverse to the odd drink, but don't actually drink very often at all. Certainly not 'straight edge'.

KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KittenMitten

I might have a couple drinks every once in a while when I go out.  I don't drink to get obliterated, just a little loose.  No smoking of any kind and no drugs.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By Chris2KLee

Me and CM Punk duders. That said, I don't take any offense with people who do partake in legal vices, don't expect the morality police here.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BaneFireLord

B. I'm still in high school. But then, of course that hasn't stopped about 75% of my class from becoming total degenerate slimebags.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By shiftymagician

I have had a drink or two, however hardly enough to ever get drunk (and would personally never want to go that far in my life).  The drinks themselves are harmless when you have the brains to know not to overdo it.  Surprising how many people fail to do this in favour of idiotic "entertainment" as they seem to view it as.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Scrawnto

I occasionally drink. No smoking or drugs besides caffeinated beverages and alcohol, and the occasional caffeinated alcohol.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iam3green

meh pretty. i don't drink all the time. i don't like to go out and drink at a bar. i don't think it's that fun to do. i don't like to smoke either. all in all i think that it's useless to do drugs as temporary feeling.

Baconator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Baconator

Over 50% of you guys are sober at all times. That's pretty impressive!  I'm a smoker, I'm an occasional drunk and I've used. Man, yet another group of people I don't really fit in. *sigh*

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm clean

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35  Edited By SBYM

I don't do any of that garbage and likely never will; never saw the appeal. I would not consider myself Straight Edge, though.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By WickedCestus

OK, I said I was completely straight, but I do drink very occasionally. Like, twice a year. So, I'm still pretty "straight-edge" (I have never heard that term before).

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sjosz

I have no interest in using or smoking, tried both, did not feel like it was me. I do, however, enjoy me a glass of red wine from time to time, especially with spicy food.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrKlorox
@astrotriforce: WTF kinda choices are these? All the ones protected by the fifth amendment you ask specification for. How is that DEA paycheck and government medical insurance?

edit: Also you're MY age? Being the religious person you seem to be, I beg you to experience at least one entheogen by the time you're 30. Albert Hoffman sends his regards.

edit2: To answer the question non-assholically; I've begun drinking much more than I should since my father died late 2007 of life-long alcoholism. This habit over the last three years is far more damaging to my body than all the psychedelics I've taken trifold.

edit3: Meth is the worst drug since crack. D.A.R.E. and similar groups are just as responsible for the methamphetamine epidemic as the pushers and dealers because both of them have the same marketing since the 90's: it's just as bad as pot. Of course we the difference is obvious now. Anybody with two braincells can tell that pot isn't nearly as damaging as alcohol or as ineffective as tobacco; the two most popular gateway drugs. Nowadays with the rise of performance enhancing energy consumables and prescription drugs with ridiculous side-effects, I fear that line will be blurred even further as long as the federal government keeps with the same inaccurate propaganda.

@HitmanAgent47:@astrotriforce: Are you Morman by chance? I knew a couple of those cats growing up and they weren't allowed to imbibe caffeine or watch cartoons. Videogames were an awesome gray area for old Sam when he came over. Do you drink Moutain Dew or other caffeine focused/energy drink products?
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By valrog

Yes. My body is a temple.

devotfeige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By devotfeige

I drink pretty regularly, but I don't drink to get drunk. That feels like an important distinction to me.

Aside from that, I'm perfectly clean. I got made fun of by my father and a group of his friends for refusing to smoke cigars with them, but I'm pretty content to keep my vices where they are.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I don't drink and I don't smoke cigarettes. Everything else is a possibility though.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#42  Edited By StarvingGamer

I am well beyond drinking age but have never partook of any mood altering substance outside of morphene after getting my belly sliced open for surgery and a rubber tube inserted into my chest. I'm way too obsessive to compromise my ability to analyze and control my actions.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By Gunner

You know straight edge includes no promiscuous sex right? 

I drink fairly regularly but nothing else as far as drugs go.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By innacces14

Never done it. Enjoyed some coffee with the parents when I turned 21 about a week ago.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By canucks23

I'll go out and drink with some friends every now and then, but that's about it. I've never smoked anything and don't really intend to do so. Don't have any probems with people who do though.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#46  Edited By SubwayD

Option B.  
Not trying to take a moral high ground or follow any religious doctrine. It just that drinking and smoking have just never interested me in the slightest. 
I saw people getting addicted and devistatinly drunk while growing up and came to the conclusion that it's not something I want to do. I'll quite happily live my life never taking a drink or some other drug just for experiments sake or to prove that I'm totally "open minded".

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By astrotriforce
@Gunner said:
" You know straight edge includes no promiscuous sex right?   I drink fairly regularly but nothing else as far as drugs go. "
No I didn't know that about Straight Edge, something tells me though that most people who consider themselves to be "SE" don't actually follow all these "guidelines". I did read about it on wikipedia before but I didn't recall the no promiscuous sex thing. I do recall them endorsing being vegetarian though. I am opposed personally to promiscuous sex though and me and my bros. are all proud virgins (as well as most of the people in my circle of friends).  

"No innocence in this god forsaken place. When the truth is in your hands they'll spit upon your face. Dismantle the ground they stand on, give power a name. You've traveled the path of slander, now bury the shame. Shed rejection, learn to follow the wolves." Demon Hunter, Follow the Wolves ;) 

Honestly though, the whole Straight-Edge thing and this poll in and of itself was a suggestion by someone in the community who wanted to see how many people on GiantBomb would be considered straight edge. So that wasn't my suggestion but his. First time I've done a collabo like this but pretty interesting results and a great question IMHO. 
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By MysteriousBob

You can't put drinking on the same level as drug use. Thats crazy. Someone who has had a drink in a pub with their friends is the same as someone who injects heroine? Absurd.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I'd consider myself pretty straightedge compared to some other people that may or may not use less socially acceptable drugs 
I drink a fair amount but I don't do any other drugs and I especially don't smoke because I hate the smell/taste
I also hate kissing girls who smoke
oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By oatz

I smoke casually, drink casually, do hard drugs once a year maybe.