• 73 results
Posted by DriveupLife (1144 posts) 1 year, 11 months ago

Poll: Would you describe Patrick Klepek's content as "niche" and/or "fringe" content? (414 votes)

Yes, Most or all of the content Patrick makes is for a small crowd, and I'm not apart of that small crowd 13%
It's about 50/50. I enjoy some of Patrick's content and some of it I skip entirely 29%
No, I find most or all of the content Patrick produces engaging and interesting, whether I play the games being highlighted or not. 57%
#1 Edited by Milkman (17805 posts) -

No, not really. I don't even know what "niche" that would be.

#2 Posted by Nightriff (6143 posts) -

Never read his stuff

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36567 posts) -

@milkman said:

I don't even know what "niche" that would be.

Indie? Stuff the other staff doesn't cover?

#4 Posted by SuperTess (149 posts) -

Patrick Klepek, Fringe Division.

#5 Edited by Capum15 (5103 posts) -

I think of it as "content", like the other staffs'.

#7 Posted by Prestige (116 posts) -

There's something unclear about your poll's premise. You ask whether the content is "niche" but the poll responses you offer are about whether we enjoy the content, as if to imply that "niche" content is inherently not enjoyable.

Also, when you talk about "Patrick's content" which things are you referring to? Quick looks of indie games and Japanese games? Spookin' with Scoops? Worth Reading? Interview Dumptruck? Editorials? Some of these things are different from each other.

#8 Posted by abomunist (126 posts) -

As the idea of a mainstream loses more relevance, this sort of question will increasingly seem irrelevant. I would classify Patrick's stuff under "Things that Patrick has an opinion about and has been published in some form".

#9 Edited by HerbieBug (4228 posts) -

your poll options are a little... peculiar. The third option seems to imply that options one and two cannot be, or are not, interesting and engaging.

Patrick "Scoops" Klepek, age 11

Patrick writes things about video games. He also writes newsie news when the newsiest of newsie news is on the haps. When you see him, he may prompt you to read all about it.

#10 Posted by ZeForgotten (10368 posts) -

50/50 should be the obvious answer.
But I guess this is CooCoo/LaLa land so we're all just either enjoying everything or hating everything, NO MIDDLE GROUND HERE! Like there is in the real world of common sense

#11 Edited by oraknabo (1567 posts) -

It's not exactly geared toward Halo, COD and Madden fans, but that doesn't make it niche.

#12 Posted by Inkerman (1492 posts) -

His stuff is certainly more 'news' rather than entertainment related content, and he covers a wider spectrum of the gaming world, but it's not niche.

#13 Edited by Giantstalker (1870 posts) -

Yep, it is. The things he cares about are definitely shared by a minority crowd, although he rarely seems to see it - or portray it - that way.

I just tolerate it and move onto the content I actually care about, plenty of users on the site do.

#14 Posted by Brendan (8638 posts) -

If you're talking about Monster Hunter and Eve Online coverage, then yes its niche, and no I don't play any of those games, but its enlightening to learn about them anyway. Also your poll options are a little off.

#15 Posted by CrazyBagMan (874 posts) -

I find your poll options lacking. We can't think his content is for a small crowd and still be a part of that crowd?

#16 Edited by joshwent (2665 posts) -

I'd say the distinction is that Patrick focuses on the more personal side of the news. It often veers to stuff with a more liberal-minded slant, which isn't my bag, but it's great because that's who he is.

As a long-time follower of these dudes since the Gamespot days, I think any new voices are just a bonus addition to what GiantBomb is. If you choose to disregard his stuff, there's still all the great dumb shit from everyone else.

#17 Posted by CandleJakk (768 posts) -

Your poll options are really, really loaded. You're basically asking us: "When did you stop beating your wife?"

I do consider Patrick's contributions as fringe content, but I enjoy it. It makes a healthy change from the rest of the site.

#18 Posted by Brundage (472 posts) -

i love Patrick, fuck the haters.

#19 Posted by Hamst3r (4849 posts) -

@crazybagman said:

I find your poll options lacking. We can't think his content is for a small crowd and still be a part of that crowd?

Well, obviously it's because your opinion doesn't matter if you're in that small crowd, you know, because it's so niche. It's like, the group for losers who don't like real games. Obvs.

#20 Posted by GreggD (4581 posts) -

"Have you ever tried sugar, or PCP?"

#21 Edited by Sargus (762 posts) -

Why is there not an option for "It's niche stuff but I AM part of that small crowd"?

Regardless I think it's interesting stuff whether I play the games in question or not, but it seems like a weird poll omission. These answers feel like they assume, "You're a 'mainstream' reader, right? So how much do you dislike this content?" Two bad assumptions to make, in my opinion.

#22 Edited by Milkman (17805 posts) -

@milkman said:

I don't even know what "niche" that would be.

Indie? Stuff the other staff doesn't cover?

But the rest of the staff plays as much indie games as Patrick. Wasn't it Jeff who first brought up Papers, Please and Proteus on the podcast? This idea that Patrick is the "indie guy" is a fallacy, I think.

#23 Posted by august (3903 posts) -

Yo

this whole fucking website is niche content

#24 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1754 posts) -

I don't think he should change his topics, as he's covering the stuff he cares about, but I'm interested in almost none of it.

I'd say the real problem is that other staff members aren't producing as much, so Patrick's often-niche stuff is a bigger percentage of the total than it maybe should be. I'd like to see more written stuff from the others -- especially Jeff (and Ryan, who hasn't written anything in... months?) -- but I do understand it's not worth as much in terms of ad money.

#25 Edited by Tarsier (1490 posts) -

i think it has its place but it doesnt belong all over the place in every bombcast every quick look every video every article and so on .

i like patrick and appreciate him and i was open to him being part of every bit of giant bombs output but after seeing 'where he comes from' on a lot of things i think its just better without in some cases.

#26 Edited by Brackynews (4238 posts) -

I don't give two shits about Flight Club. That's niche for me. Call me when Brad/Vinny/Drew livestream Tie Fighter. (No seriously, fucking call!)

I understand flight sim enthusiasts don't necessarily buy other types of games, but in my view that makes them the niche. If you only like one thing... regardless of how many of you there are... your perspective is not broad enough to appreciate the full ecosystem that thing exists within.

Ludos liberalis. ;)

@august: Yup.

@grantheaslip: Patrick and Alex and Matt are doing the jobs they were hired to do. If Ryan wanted to write instead of producing podcasts and weekly shows, he would write. Jeff prefers having a camera in his face, or he would write. Brad is busy reading Wikipedia and nerdy forums, or he would write. Reviews are the meat and potatoes for them. Vinny used to write. That was awesome. Where does the time go?

I absolutely do miss the early GB days of editorial content from everyone, and I know I would come to read more articles if they existed. However, an "editorial" position doesn't mean they have a quota to turn out 1,000 words a week. They are doing their primary jobs and staying engaged with the community.

#27 Edited by InternetCrab (1581 posts) -

I don't read anything that he posts honestly.

#28 Posted by Doppelgamer (363 posts) -

@capum15 said:

I think of it as "content", like the other staffs'.

My sentiments exactly.

#29 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (4009 posts) -

Your question and your answers are kinda two different things. I could think his stuff is fringe but still be super into it. I chose the last one anyway, cause I read what he do.

#31 Edited by casper_ (915 posts) -

I generally avoid his stuff but it doesn't have anything to do with it being niche. I enjoyed the DF interview today though.

#32 Edited by tescovee (373 posts) -

At least he is making content. Only Patrick seems to be making any consistent contributions daily. Then again I have no clue as to what the other cats do on the daily.

#33 Posted by Viking_Funeral (2081 posts) -

I'm just glad they have a member of the staff that is willing to go outside their comfort zones to try out different areas of gaming. (I guess Brad finally trying DotA 2 might be an exception, but I stand by my point.) Plus, the guy is a content machine: Spookin' with Scoops, the EVE fanfest, doing an Encyclopedia Bombastica to defend Yoshi's Island, immersing himself in Monster Hunter or being the sole guy on the staff to check out newest Fire Emblem.

If people don't want that content, ignore it. I seriously don't get this grudge some people have.

#34 Edited by AziMuttyo (94 posts) -

Too bad mods exist so i can't say anything, but on youtube I always say mi mind about him.

#35 Posted by Ravenlight (8057 posts) -

I don't enjoy EVERYTHING PK does but all of it is at least novel by games journalism standards.

#36 Posted by Tharrington (153 posts) -

@august said:

Yo

this whole fucking website is niche content

This is exactly what I was thinking.

We are on a website that's main purpose is to talk about video games, that is a niche. I don't understand what else you would like him to write about. World Politics? Steroids in sports? Giraffes? I feel like the content Patrick is making fits the niche that, I assume, we are all coming here for.

On a side note, I would love to read an article about giraffes by Patrick.

#37 Posted by Hunter5024 (6281 posts) -

I think he does play a lot of smaller more niche games, sometimes this leads to me getting bored and skipping the video, other times this leads to me discovering something awesome. I would certainly never say he's good or bad 100% of the time, no one is.

#38 Posted by Pudge (1025 posts) -

PATRICK DEFENSE FORCE! ASSEMBLE!!

Seriously though, this entire website is weird, niche content. It was built on top of a Persona game for goodness sake. Patrick's stuff is just in a slightly different wheelhouse than most of the other stuff, a wheelhouse that seems foreign to me, but whatever. To each his own.

#39 Posted by zFUBARz (672 posts) -

Yeah not nearly enough options there duder, His work is definitely Niche, and I don't care about everything he investigates, but I do like reading his work. More importantly this whole place is a Niche site, so you know it sorta fits.

#40 Edited by Clonedzero (4206 posts) -

A vast majority of Patricks stuff i don't give a shit about. I don't particularly care about his weekly link dump "articles", i don't care about his interviews since well, he's easily the worst interviewer on the site constantly interrupting and finishing peoples thoughts for them.

But alot of people like his stuff, so whatever good for them, i hope you enjoy it. I'll just skip it.

I will give him credit though, he seems like the hardest working of the entire staff (drew/vinny not counting here). I mean fuck, Ryan barely does ANYTHING aside from host liveshows and the podcast. Unless Ryan is doing alot of behind the scenes stuff no one knows about. Still the point stands, Patrick dumps out content more than any other staff member, so just cus i dont like his content doesn't mean anything.

Sidenote: encyclopedia bombbastia really needs two people in them. Just one shithead talking to himself while playing an old game gets old. I've tried watching them all and i couldn't last for more than 5 minutes. (not just patricks recent entry, all of jeffs and alex's as well.)

#41 Posted by MisterSamMan (371 posts) -

Patrick writes about niche stuff, but the articles are intended for those outside of that niche. Look at his awesome Monster Hunter article and his Eve Fanfest article will probably be just as awesome.

#42 Edited by SpoogeMcduck (207 posts) -

I like his stuff, its nice to read about different things that I might not ever notice.

#43 Edited by TruthTellah (9623 posts) -

This whole dang site is "niche" and "fringe". So, yeah, I'd say he writes engaging and interesting content for a "niche" and "fringe" audience.

#44 Posted by Nekroskop (2831 posts) -

Don't really care that much for his 'Worth Reading' articles. They come off as lazy to me. It's like a summary of things he found interesting that week, which isn't too bad mind you(turned me on to Geop's Dark Souls LP for instance.) , just a bad use of his journalistic talents.

His other articles(except for the two that were almost Gawker-like in apperance) are interesting. He touches upon games that no one else in the crew would even think of looking at twice.

I've actually come to like him more this year than the last. Maybe it's the beard?

#45 Posted by Clonedzero (4206 posts) -

Patrick writes about niche stuff, but the articles are intended for those outside of that niche. Look at his awesome Monster Hunter article and his Eve Fanfest article will probably be just as awesome.

Man if i never hear patrick talk about how awesome he is for trying a new genre and really enjoying monster hunter it'll be too damn soon. Dude brings it up at every possible moment.

#46 Edited by Sooty (8195 posts) -

Some of it's ok. He made too big a deal out of getting into Monster Hunter, sorry but just because they aren't popular in the west doesn't mean they are incredibly complex or misunderstood games. They just aren't very popular. That's it, it's not because they're some sort of complex abyss that requires extreme dedication; Demon/Dark Souls are far harder, less intuitive games and look how well they did outside of Japan.

and sexism articles were pretty lame, some of the stuff wrote just sounded pompous and try-hard, I'm not saying some weird stuff doesn't happen between males and females in this industry (any industry for that matter) but still.

#47 Edited by CrazyBagMan (874 posts) -
@hamst3r said:

@crazybagman said:

Well, obviously it's because your opinion doesn't matter if you're in that small crowd, you know, because it's so niche. It's like, the group for losers who don't like real games. Obvs.

Well... that would explain a lot... I should go sit down.

#48 Edited by JasonR86 (9998 posts) -

This entire website is a big collection of niche content.

#49 Edited by ManiacalMech (71 posts) -

His Worth Reading articles are fantastic, and one of the best things to happen to the website on Fridays. There is always at least one game that Klepek recommends from Indiegogo and Kickstarter that is worth looking at. Broforce is probably the best one he's linked so far. This article is good because ever week there will always be a fleshed out article on Giant Bomb. Even when nothing substantial is happening in the world of gaming journalism.

I generally don't have an issue with the Quick Looks that Patrick drops in on. The only exception I can think of is the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time QL, but neither Jeff nor Patrick knew what they were talking about on the series, so that was just an all around shitty QL.

I've never listened in on an episode of the Dump Truck. For me to say that content is definitively niche is really out of my realm.

#50 Edited by Philedius (212 posts) -

I once ate a half hot dog before I noticed that I'd forgot to put the hot dog in the bun. So I hadn't eaten half a hot dog.

Scoops makes cool content, yo.