• 87 results
Edited 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Would you judge someone who has taken steroids or synthol ? (275 votes)

Yeah - People that take those drugs gets no respect from me. 35%
No - its not my right to judge them. 26%
Maybe - Depends on why that person decided to take steroids or synthol . 39%

(I had to redo this thread sense people got gross out by the vid, and I couldn't edit my post)

So I was watching a few vids on youtube about steroid and synthol usage. In all of them there's always people arguing with each other. They're some people that shows strong resentment of steroid and synthol users, and others that don't feel the same way. Me personally I don't like judging people in general that's not me. If a person took steroids or synthol to reach there fitness goals its there business.

I'm not going to discredit that person in anyway. Even if someone took steroids you still got to eat right and workout. Synthol might be a different story, but still its there business. Now I do feel that eventually taking those drugs will have side effects, and in the long run it could slowly destroy your body.

#51 Posted by Hunter5024 (5910 posts) -

I try not to judge anybody unless they're doing something negative to other people. If they were my friends though then I might be a little concerned that they're putting their personal image above their physical and mental health. At the absolute worst, I'd say I feel bad for them. However if someone has a good reason for taking them, and does it as safely as they possibly can, then I don't have any problem with it whatsoever.

#52 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -
@benny said:

Y'all know pretty much every guy that has to be bulked up in hollywood is on them right? The Rock, Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, Hugh Jackman to name a few that are in very recent movies. They just do short cycles under close supervision no doubt and suffer almost no side effects long term. You'll notice that long and short term health risks come from steroid abuse in most cases.

This is exactly right. They're not nearly as dangerous as people think they are if you're getting quality stuff and doing it under a sensible regimen, administered by a knowledgeable person. Of course, that's rarely the case outside of pro sports and Hollywood.

#53 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

Could not give a shit. Your body, you put what you want in it.

If you use drugs to cheat at sports then I won't respect you as an athlete.

You've just reminded me of a story I heard about an athlete not to long ago. I forgot his name but he was a competitive world champion bicyclist, and even though he was very skinny it turned out he was using steroids. I remember they took every trophy he earned away from him, and lost alot of respect from people.

#54 Posted by Stonyman65 (2825 posts) -

It just depends. Some meathead who is juicing just to get buffed up and enhance their ego, or the sports player who did it so they could still compete - fuck them.

To the people that have testosterone or muscular deficiencies and actually need some type of steroids to help them - good for them.

#55 Posted by Tordah (2484 posts) -

@benny said:

Y'all know pretty much every guy that has to be bulked up in hollywood is on them right? The Rock, Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg, Hugh Jackman to name a few that are in very recent movies. They just do short cycles under close supervision no doubt and suffer almost no side effects long term. You'll notice that long and short term health risks come from steroid abuse in most cases.

I'm glad to see that someone had the sense to post something like this. Everything you said is true. There is so much misguided information and false stereotypes regarding stereoid usage in the general population. There is a huge difference between supervised use and outright abuse. Everything can be abused if done too frequently.

A lot of people seem to be under the impression that if you juice once or twice you'll grow into Mr. Olympia physique overnight. Stereoids are very powerful medicines for sure, but they're not miracle pills. I don't doubt for a second that all of those actors you mentioned have used stereoids at one time or the other. Hell, I'm sure there are tons more that you wouldn't outright suspect by looking at their physique.

#56 Posted by Tordah (2484 posts) -
#57 Posted by kcin (140 posts) -

How has this conversation gone on so very long without anyone differentiating between these two dramatically different substances?

Steroids help you build muscle very rapidly, and help with endurance during workouts. The end result of a steroid cycle is a lot of real, actual developed muscle - should one decide to exercise extremely hard during the cycle. Steroids don't impart muscle on their own.

Synthol is an oil injected into the area between skin and muscle to make that area physically swell because of the presence of the oil, thereby simulating muscle development without in any way affecting or enhancing it regardless of workout regimen.

So the question being posed seems unfair to me. Would I judge someone who wants to develop muscle quickly by taking a drug and then working out extra hard while on that drug? That is a very different answer than whether or not I would judge someone for injecting oil into their arms to look huge, without having exerted any effort to get there and with entirely unnatural results (oil in the skin versus real muscle).

#58 Edited by LiquidPrince (16122 posts) -

@scrawnto said:

@lobster_ear said:

@tourgen said:

Yes. Also people with cosmetic surgery or other extensive body mods. Just a learned response on my part. They are usually not people I want to be around.

Would you judge people who get braces to straighten their crooked teeth? If not, why do you judge those who get nose jobs etc?

If your teeth are crooked enough it can actually be detrimental to your dental health. In that case I have nothing against braces. I only have slightly crooked teeth. I would consider someone to be rather vain if they were getting braces in a situation like mine. I feel the same about nose jobs. But again, if you have a deviated septum, by all means, get that fixed.

I'm actually somewhat more tolerant of steroids than cosmetic surgery, though they'd better know what they're doing or have professional supervision if they're going to screw with their body chemistry like that. Only if they aren't doing it to get ahead in some sort of competition, though. I guess something about it seems marginally more natural than a nose job or a face lift. Body builders aren't getting muscles surgically grafted on, you know? I'm sure plenty of actors have to go on a steroid regimen to bulk up for roles, and I don't fault them for that.

This sounds incredibly stupid. Who are you to judge someone else and call them vain for something as common as getting braces to straighten their teeth? People can do whatever they want to make themselves comfortable in their own bodies. There is a point in which it gets excessive and weird with some folks, but it's not my place to judge them. If it's something that I disagree with, I just ignore it. But if someone has an "ugly" nose, or small breasts or crooked teeth, and they can feel better about THEMSELVES, then who are we to judge one way or another.

#59 Edited by Rick_Fingers (523 posts) -

@brodehouse: that might have been my favourite post ever

#60 Posted by TheHBK (5554 posts) -

Steroids no, Synthol yes.

If you do steroids, you still gotta put in work at the gym, it pushes you beyond what the human body can do on its own. Synthol, that is just plastic surgery and is lazy.

#61 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I wouldn't think they're bad people, but that doesn't mean I'd want to hang around them.

#62 Posted by dudeglove (8161 posts) -

I've been given intravascular shots of steiroids up the butt as a measure against allergic reactions i.e. to stop my entire body turning red, does that make me a bad person?

#63 Edited by Korolev (1723 posts) -

I think it's a bad idea, but I've made some bad decisions in my life as well - probably nothing as bad as deciding to abuse steroids, but I'm 25 - I have at least 65 more years to make bad decisions.

I don't judge these people - who among us has never taken any substance that is bad for us? If you've drunk alcohol, then you can't say that you've never ingested a harmful substance. I don't drink, or take recreational drugs, but even I have made stupid decisions in regards to my health. We all have. Even many of the doctors I've met have led less than perfectly healthy lives.

It is also important to consider the reasons why - many people take steroids out of insecurity. They don't feel "manly" enough. While women are undoubtedly affected more by body image issues, it does affect men as well, and can cause deep seated anxiety, stress and feelings of inferiority. Don't hate steroid users - instead, understand why they are doing what they are doing. Many know that it is not good for them, but they feel so insecure in regards to their personal appearance that they feel that they have to use these substances.

Steroid abuse is harmful and potentially fatal (especially if you stop taking them immediately, which can cause an adrenal crisis). Demonizingi and shaming steroid abusers is not a good thing - I don't think we should demonize or shame any drug abuser, because it drives them away. They are less likely to seek help, they are less likely to seek advice and they are more likely to suffer from the effects of their substance abuse. That is bad for them and bad for us, in terms of health care costs and costs to society.

Empathize with them. I don't say sympathize with them, but do empathize with them.

#64 Posted by ajamafalous (12129 posts) -

Only if they're using them in a sport which bans them (also pretty much all sports should ban them).

I don't care if a dude who lives down the street is taking steroids because he wants to bulk up faster.

#65 Posted by Scampbell (499 posts) -

I guess I do judge as I do think less of them, (legitimate medical reasons aside) the thing is it can be harmful to others, as it seems people on steroids snap much more easily. Though in a way, that is just one more way they hurt themselves.

#66 Posted by Sursh (243 posts) -

depends. if they were doing it to gain an advantage in some sort of sport or competition (that isn't wwe), then i'd be pretty friggin' judgemental.

#67 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

If someone in professional sports is doing this than you need to ban them from any competition forever without any chance of comeback. If they are normal people who do it for what ever reason it is not my right to do anything against it. I would call them stupid because they are destroying their bodies but it is that what they want sure let them do this.

#68 Edited by Scrawnto (2462 posts) -

@liquidprince: I think there are healthier ways to deal with one's insecurities than to irreversibly modify one's body. I'm not saying those things should be disallowed or made illegal. I just disagree with making those choices. You yourself say there are some things that you disagree with. You can say you aren't judging them, but choosing to ignore someone is still a judgement if you ask me.

#69 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -
#70 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -

I judge the fuck out of them, mostly due to the fact that they're idiots and they're doing irreparable damage to their bodies. Plus, steroids fuck up your hormones, from what I remember, and can make you hyper aggressive or downright crazy...so someone with piles of muscle and piles of testosterone-driven aggression does not make a great combination.

I think it's pointless to want such huge muscles, as eventually you won't be able to do anything with them, given that they'll limit your movement due to their size. I'll stick with normal, human-grown muscles that I develop through hard work, instead of being some muscle-bound creature akin to a talking rock more than a human being.

#71 Edited by Sploder (917 posts) -

Nah, I think people should do whatever they feel is necessary to make them feel comfortable in their own bodies. I would do them myself if it weren't for the negative health effects and the fact that I've had a poor medical history in the first place. For now I'm just ok with whey protein.

#72 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4868 posts) -

I don't think I'd judge them. More likely I'd be worried that they know what to do with steroids and know how to cycle responsibly. There are long term, detrimental effects to steroid usage as well. I guess I'd approach more from a "make sure you know what you're getting into" stance than a judgmental one.

#73 Edited by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

People can do whatever they want (assuming it doesn't hurt others), but I don't think they should be allowed to compete with people who don't use performance enhancing drugs.

#74 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@sploder said:

Nah, I think people should do whatever they feel is necessary to make them feel comfortable in their own bodies. I would do them myself if it weren't for the negative health effects and the fact that I've had a poor medical history in the first place. For now I'm just ok with whey protein.

I still got to try out whey protein I heard it helps out alot. Another drink I heard that can give you alot of energy is Hyphy Mud.

People has been talking about this drink in the fitness community lately. Even though mixing soda with instant coffee sounds crazy. I heard it gives you a great boost of energy when it comes to lifting weights. I'm definitely going to give this drink a try. Even though I'm expecting it not to taste so great, as long as I'm getting results then its all good.

#75 Posted by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

No one's perfect, including the ass holes who voted that they would judge. I know first hand what judgement can do to a person. Think before you decide it's alright to completely ruin a persons self esteem

#76 Posted by Scrawnto (2462 posts) -

@naru_joe93: I get the impression that a lot of the people have a different impression of the word 'judge' than I. I just thought of it as "have an opinion of based on some piece of information". I wouldn't shit talk these people or ostracize them or anything. Am I really an asshole just for having an opinion about steroid usage? As a 120 lb., 5'9" man, I'm quite familiar with self-esteem and body-image issues, but I don't think steroids are the answer.

@falserelic: Caffeinated beverages can definitely enhance performance in some ways. If you watch the Tour de France, you'll see riders drinking Coca Cola. Instant coffee is pretty much just extra caffeine, so I can see how that would have an effect.

#77 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3708 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

No. It's not my place to judge anyone.

same.

#78 Posted by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

@scrawnto: It isn't the answer, but neither is negative judgement. If it affects a person you know, there are proper steps that can be taken to help them. If it's someone you don't know, there is little to nothing you can do, but judgement still isn't the answer

#79 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

@falserelic:

That stuff seems nasty but I might give it a shot as a pre-workout drink. And yeah whey protein is pretty good, I've been using it for about four months or so and I've definitely noticed improvements in my strength, definition and size (though I'm not a big dude anyway so you wouldn't notice). I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot, it can be quite expensive though so I suggest getting it off amazon where they usually have sales on it :)

#80 Posted by Nictel (2430 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

No. It's not my place to judge anyone.

This. Moreover I couldn't imagine why anyone would do that over steroids.

#81 Posted by gamefreak9 (2397 posts) -

I dno some people I used to know needed to use their body every day to survive(dangerous neighborhoods). In those situations anything goes, but I would say that 90% of usage is about pride... and I just think those people are morons.

#82 Posted by Turambar (6849 posts) -

What exactly is this fetish over not forming opinions over things? Do I judge people for using synthol? Hell yeah I do. I have an opinion on the matter, and every single one of you do so as well. The only real question is whether you actively go out into the world trying to be find and berate said people.

#83 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

No one's perfect, including the ass holes who voted that they would judge. I know first hand what judgement can do to a person. Think before you decide it's alright to completely ruin a persons self esteem

That's why I usually don't like to judge people. Some people can handle criticism better then others. As for people taking steroids I got no problem with it. Hell there's some fitness channels I follow on youtube, where the person admits to using steroids in the past, and explains the good and bad about using it. They still give off helpful advice of losing weight, and building muscle without the use of steroids, and sense they were honest I can respect them for it.

As for synthol users I feel different about them. To me putting oil into your tissue to seem bigger. Just seem like a complete cop out to me.

#84 Edited by PKHilson (205 posts) -

I o l r f t w t s a d i. t a f m h w. t w a o a i I c r

#85 Posted by 23r23d23er23r234f2f2 (25 posts) -

I have many friends that take or have taken steroids, I couldn't care less what they do as long as they're not being stupid about it and they follow proper precautions. For the record, none of them partake in sport anymore, even at an amateur level. Don't know anyone that has injected synthol though, no point really.

Stay safe errybody <3

#86 Posted by casper_ (908 posts) -

i chose maybe because its your body and you can do whatever you please with. it its a very personal thing. that said, someone who would do something that drastic (possibly in the name of vanity) makes me wonder if their motivations are sound or totally misguided/shallow and therefore whether they are people i would want to be around. so although i chose maybe i'm still clearly judging this hypothetical person.

#87 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

Couldn't possibly give a good damn