Would you like to see Giant Bomb Trophies/Achievements?

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Endogene

I was thinking of it and in my opinion it would be a great way to improve the amount of content that people add to the site.
It would be a great way to motivate people to do so, just look at how Trophies/Achievements make people do somewhat useless tasks for that feeling of achievement. However in this case the task it self would be meaning full for the whole gaming community.

How this could work

Giant bombs stores the user activity information, number of images added, moderated, reviews written, number of game dates added, number of forum post, etcetera...
I'm thinking more about trophies than achievements since achievements are about points, and that would not motivate people to do different tasks to get different trophies but to do the same task over en over to gain points that way (sort of like it is now).

example:
Say you write 10 revieuw, you get a bronze trophie for that and the more revieuws you write the more "expensive" that trophy will look.
So that when your revieuw count is at 10 the trophy would be bronze coloured, at 500 it would be platinum with diamonds on it.

Same could work for the other date colleceted stated above. However forum post should not be rewarded for that only encourages spam.

These trophies could be placed within ones profile and the ones that someone is the most proud of could be put somewhere on a display.

So in your opinion, would this work/be fun?
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Black_Rose

It could be cool, but the trophie should not be for the amount of reviews you write but they should give it based on how good the reviews are

gunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By gunslinger

Nah, it probably wouldn't work... While the concept in itself is pretty good, there would be nothing stopping the trolls of the internet just writing really simple, 2 word reviews saying "it's good" just to get the achievement so that they can earn some credit to try and validate their existence to the other forum posters, to compensate for their lacking social life...

Sorry, a little off-topic there... Anyway, while the idea would be really fun, it wouldn't really encourage good-quality work (which is what would be given by people who are doing it for their own feeling of satisfaction and "I did this all on my own" feeling.) that is deserved by the site, it would just be full of lackluster, spammed stuff, by people that just want the points.

Definitely wouldn't work for image uploading... that's where the spamming would get out of control...
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Endogene
Black_Rose said:
"It could be cool, but the trophie should not be for the amount of reviews you write but they should give it based on how good the reviews are"
i was think of that also, however i dont see how that could be checked.
I know that some of the thing i mentioned would be exploited.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

Similar to those emblems you used to get on Gamespot? That would be pretty good but I could see people cheating to get as many as they could kind of like people have been doing with the points.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Endogene
HandsomeDead said:
"Similar to those emblems you used to get on Gamespot? That would be pretty good but I could see people cheating to get as many as they could kind of like people have been doing with the points."
The emblems where event related if i remeber correctly, but yeah thats the idea