#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3054 posts) -

A very real would you rather for me. Twice this week I have gotten a migraine after 10pm and the medicine which fixes a migraine is also loaded with caffeine. So my choice is to either lay in bed in horrible pain until I fall asleep or take the medicine and stay up all night pain free.

Which would you rather do? I chose the insomnia. Hopefully i can go to bed by 10am...

#2 Posted by fetchfox (1158 posts) -

They are both equally debilitating, I hope you find a more permanent solution to your problem. Do you have a chronic migraine problem or is it more come and go?
For the question I think I'd choose migraine... though there really isn't a good answer here.

#3 Edited by Humanity (7957 posts) -

Insomnia I guess because migraines make it impossible to function like a normal human being, so your day is completely wasted waiting for the piercing pain to subside. Insomnia sucks but at least it isn't acutely painful.

#4 Posted by Devil240Z (3054 posts) -

@fetchfox: Been getting migraines(bad ones) regularly since I was a kid. they started after I was in a car accident but I don't really remember much from back then so it might just be a coincidence.

#5 Posted by Sweep (8541 posts) -

I've had both, and migraines are by far the worse of the two. I'd rather be tired and depressed than in pain.

#6 Posted by Video_Game_King (34613 posts) -

@humanity said:

Insomnia I guess because migraines make it impossible to function like a normal human being, so your day is completely wasted waiting for the piercing pain to subside. Insomnia sucks but at least it isn't acutely painful.

I'm the opposite. I'd rather have the migraine, having been functioning on poor rest for a while. At times, it's "I am aware that I am trying to sleep" poor.

#7 Posted by SharkEthic (945 posts) -

I’ve always loathed the necessity of sleep. Like death, it puts even the most powerful men on their backs.

#8 Edited by Humanity (7957 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@humanity said:

I'm the opposite. I'd rather have the migraine, having been functioning on poor rest for a while. At times, it's "I am aware that I am trying to sleep" poor.

Having had headaches that only bordered on migraines, as in splitting pain that also made me nauseous I'd choose to be really tired any day. I mean I'm not trying to downplay insomnia as it's also a really debilitating state to be in, but out of the two evils I'd much rather have that.

#9 Posted by Devil240Z (3054 posts) -

@humanity said:

I have had migraines so bad that I have screamed myself to sleep. Never had to endure anything worse in my life. Luckily those ones only come a few times a year.

@humanity said:

YUP they make it hard as hell to function normally.

@sweep said:

I've had both, and migraines are by far the worse of the two. I'd rather be tired and depressed than in pain.

Hence my usual choice of insomnia over horrible pain. its still a shit situation either way.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11045 posts) -

Staying up all night pain free sounds infinitely preferable to trying to cope with a migraine.

When I get a headache like that, I usually play something quiet, slow, and brainless. I guess most people won't play a video game with a migraine, but I simply can't lay down with a migraine. It just hurts worse when my head is on any pillow, and I rarely wake up feeling better. Fortunately, I don't get many migraines.

#11 Edited by Devil240Z (3054 posts) -

Staying up all night pain free sounds infinitely preferable to trying to cope with a migraine.

When I get a headache like that, I usually play something quiet, slow, and brainless. I guess most people won't play a video game with a migraine, but I simply can't lay down with a migraine. It just hurts worse when my head is on any pillow, and I rarely wake up feeling better. Fortunately, I don't get many migraines.

I usually listen to the TV when I am trying to recover from/cope with a migraine. I couldn't possibly play a game with one. or really have my left eye exposed to any light. I really need to invest in an eye patch cause that would make it alot easier to function with a migraine as my left eye is always super duper light sensitive when I have one.

#12 Edited by Humanity (7957 posts) -

@devil240z: I've had a really terrible headache only once in the past 15 years and it was accompanied by a mild fever. I remember the pain being like a piercing beacon, pulsating throughout my entire head, making me sit up and clutch my head with both hands, grinding my teeth and literally moaning in pain. It also made me nauseous to the point where I had difficulty swallowing even small portions of water which made taking pain relievers impossible for a while.

#13 Posted by rachelepithet (1256 posts) -

Migrane, I'd rather be angry all the time than having anxiety attacks about dying the way asian MMORPG players do from lack of sleep.

#14 Posted by Devil240Z (3054 posts) -

@humanity said:

@devil240z: I've had a really terrible headache only once in the past 15 years and it was accompanied by a mild fever. I remember the pain being like a piercing beacon, pulsating throughout my entire head, making me I'd sit up and clutch my head with both hands, grinding my teeth and literally moaning in pain. It also made me nauseous to the point where I had difficulty swallowing even small portions of water which made taking pain relievers impossible for a while.

I know those feelings well. Sometimes I would moan and scratch my head or rub my feet together to try and distract myself from the pain. And when I was younger I would always get nauseous and would have to vomit multiple times.

#15 Edited by believer258 (11045 posts) -

@devil240z said:

@believer258 said:

I usually listen to the TV when I am trying to recover from/cope with a migraine. I couldn't possibly play a game with one. or really have my left eye exposed to any light. I really need to invest in an eye patch cause that would make it alot easier to function with a migraine as my left eye is always super duper light sensitive when I have one.

I can see that. TV changes camera angles every few seconds or so and flashes ads in your face every ten minutes or so. That makes the headaches worse for me. Something like Skyrim, however, never takes you out of first person so it's all one smooth image. That combined with the usually-soothing music turned down to a low volume really does a lot for any migraine I might have. Minecraft works almost as well.

I've been tired yet unable to sleep before, and that's a lot easier to cope with. I can put a movie in, lay back in a chair, and just slowly drift away without realizing it. And if that doesn't work, I can play a game.

EDIT: It's probably worth mentioning that I've never had a headache so bad that I feel like puking, or couldn't drink water, or something insane like that. Headaches so bad that I'm dizzy and can't walk and can't lay down on a pillow? Yes, I've had those, but it doesn't happen that often for me. Probably once every other month or so. I do have problems sleeping, though.

#16 Posted by Humanity (7957 posts) -

@devil240z said:

@believer258 said:

I can see that. TV changes camera angles every few seconds or so and flashes ads in your face every ten minutes or so. That makes the headaches worse for me. Something like Skyrim, however, never takes you out of first person so it's all one smooth image. That combined with the usually-soothing music turned down to a low volume really does a lot for any migraine I might have. Minecraft works almost as well.

I've been tired yet unable to sleep before, and that's a lot easier to cope with. I can put a movie in, lay back in a chair, and just slowly drift away without realizing it. And if that doesn't work, I can play a game.

The only problem here is that I want to escape pain and suffering, and playing Skyrim doesn't solve that at all..

#17 Posted by believer258 (11045 posts) -

@humanity said:

@believer258 said:

@devil240z said:

@believer258 said:

The only problem here is that I want to escape pain and suffering, and playing Skyrim doesn't solve that at all..

Well, then play Minecraft!

#18 Posted by Consaw (246 posts) -

I get both from time to time and would much rather have Insomnia. Migraines make it so I cant even function. While Insomnia just means I'll watch some Netflix and be really tired the next day.

#19 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -

Well, I've heard of functioning insomniacs, but not functioning migraineiacs. I'd take the insomnia because sleep is a (biologically vital) waste of time anyway.

#20 Posted by Devil240Z (3054 posts) -

@cale said:

Well, I've heard of functioning insomniacs, but not functioning migraineiacs. I'd take the insomnia because sleep is a (biologically vital) waste of time anyway.

I think the word(s) you were looking for are chronic migraine sufferer.

#21 Posted by CaLe (3678 posts) -
#22 Edited by Video_Game_King (34613 posts) -

@sweep said:

I'd rather be tired and depressed than in pain.

You mean physical pain, right?

#23 Posted by Devil240Z (3054 posts) -

@sweep said:

Ill say that. Yes physical pain. I have plenty of cures for emotional pain. :)

#24 Posted by pyromagnestir (3961 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@sweep said:

I don't... What are they?

#25 Posted by Marcsman (2876 posts) -

Migraines are brutal. I'll take insomnia any day of the week.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (34613 posts) -

@devil240z said:

I don't... What are they?

For me, it's Photoshopping the dumbest shit that pops into my mind.

#27 Posted by hermes (1270 posts) -

I am going through a similar situation (not so intense, luckily), and my opinion is: I would rather have insomnia.

At least with insomnia there are other medicine, some even from natural sources, to counter the caffeine. And if it fails you can take it a little earlier if you anticipate you are going to have an attack.

#28 Edited by Devil240Z (3054 posts) -

@hermes said:

I am going through a similar situation (not so intense, luckily), and my opinion is: I would rather have insomnia.

At least with insomnia there are other medicine, some even from natural sources, to counter the caffeine. And if it fails you can take it a little earlier if you anticipate you are going to have an attack.

Such as? cause for me the sleeping pills I usually have around don't mix well with the migraine pills. I end up getting weird and shaky so when ever I get close to falling asleep I get jolted awake by the caffeine.

#29 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4445 posts) -

Insomnia, cause fuck migraines. They're the worst. I could at least take something to make me sleep.

#30 Posted by pyromagnestir (3961 posts) -

@video_game_king:

I have no photoshop skills whatsoever. I'm gonna need some alternatives.

#31 Posted by Scrawnto (2413 posts) -

I would much rather have insomnia. I say this as a person with occasional insomnia. Just last night I lay in bed for four hours before I could fall asleep, and then I got about three hours of sleep. It sucks, and it can make me somewhat unproductive at work from time to time, but it's still better than excruciating pain.

I've only had one actual migraine in my life, and it is absolutely not something I would want to repeat.

#32 Edited by hermes (1270 posts) -

@hermes said:

Such as? cause for me the sleeping pills I usually have around don't mix well with the migraine pills. I end up getting weird and shaky so when ever I get close to falling asleep I get jolted awake by the caffeine.

I don't know where are you from, so I can't really be sure if the names are available there... I have tried plidex, plidan and dormicum. Of all of them, plidex is the most effective, and plidan is the closest to most natural.

I have also had the weird effect you mentioned, so I understand your reluctance. I consulted with some doctors in my family since self medication is a bad idea, so I would advice you to do the same.

Finally, some of the more home made sleeping helps can work on you. I know counting sheep or reading sounds cliche, but they exist for a reason.

#33 Edited by Mijati (845 posts) -

As someone who had Chronic Migraines for 10 months. Fuck them.

#34 Posted by ripelivejam (2791 posts) -

still not sure if they were migraines per se, but the blindingly painful headaches where my vision got so distorted i couldn't really see in front of me for an hour or two i wouldn't wish on anyone. luckily that's only happened to me a few times in my life.

#35 Posted by Generic_username (478 posts) -

As someone who has only had maybe a single migraine in his life, but suffers from insomnia, I'd rather have insomnia. Insomnia sucks, and you obviously need to find a more permanent solution to the problem, but it's easier to deal with than the blinding pain of a migraine.

#36 Posted by Video_Game_King (34613 posts) -

@video_game_king:

I have no photoshop skills whatsoever. I'm gonna need some alternatives.

It's not that hard. For example:

This took an alarmingly small number of clicks to make.

#37 Posted by Chop (1964 posts) -

I have insomnia and it doesn't seem as debilitating as a migraine would be. So uh, Insomnia.

#38 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (929 posts) -

insomnia for sure. I kinda have it now and it's sounds way fucking better than a migraine.

#39 Edited by Sweep (8541 posts) -
#40 Posted by Clonedzero (3725 posts) -

I have chronic insomnia that comes and goes for weeks at at time. I was in a relationship with a girl who got frequent migraines, yeah i'd rather have my insomnia please.

So i'd do whatever you can to avoid those migraines, they look AWFUL.

#41 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6937 posts) -

@humanity said:

This. Absolutely this.

#42 Posted by Demoskinos (13869 posts) -

I sort of am already an insomniac. I almost never see bed before 3am this includes when I have to be up for work at 6:30am too. So, I've just learned to function on like 3 hours of sleep a day.

#43 Posted by Ben_H (3202 posts) -

As a one-off even, definitely a migraine. I can handle a single migraine whereas being really tired when not being used to being tired is quite unpleasant.

With how it is like this where there are frequent migraines, definitely would rather have insomnia. A migraine once in a blue moon would be okay, but daily migraines would be insufferable. I've had recurring insomnia before, and though it sucks, it can be manageable.