• 72 results
#1 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

I was asked this question and I was wondering if this would be an interesting topic for the forums. So here is the gist of the question. Would you rather keep reliving your life, as in living through your life now and when you die you are born again and can live through that time again while retaining all the knowledge you possessed, or live forever but you would still have to age, so it would be like the previous conditions where when you die you are reborn yet this time you are born at the time you die. The only restrictions are that you wouldn't be able to get the knowledge you had from your previous mind until you were say 16 or 18. Personally I would choose living forever because even though I could relive my life and not make the same mistakes twice I would have to constantly see my family members die over and over again.

#2 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

...wait, what?

#3 Posted by Popogeejo (615 posts) -

Seems like the memories only carrying over once your 16-18 kind of devalues the whole thing seeing it's the years before then that all the prior knowledge would be useful. 
Immortality seems like the best option all round.

#4 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

I would love to live forever just to see how akward everything would be after the first thousand years. 

Hi, I'm new here my name is ... Eric. 
 "That's a weird name, like from the 2000's or something? How old are you?" 
I have to go.

#5 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -
@Popogeejo Ya I thought that would devalue the question too but if your memories transferred to your new life when you were 1 years old that would be kind of weird wouldn't you think?
#6 Posted by Milkman (16800 posts) -

Relive my life. I got a lot of things to fix. 

#7 Posted by supermike6 (3564 posts) -

I want a New Game Plus for life.

#8 Posted by MisterChief (832 posts) -

This is the type of thing a serial killer would write in their journal.

#9 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Neither, but if I had to choose:  Relive my life.  Although I would like that knowledge around 6 years old instead of 16...

#10 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

Reliving my life over and over. The first life I'll know what happens, the second I'll change things to make them "better" with the knowledge I knew from the first life, and subsequent times I'll just relive it & make stupid decisions and see how it'll affect the future.

#11 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I almost died trying to read that.

#12 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Seeing your family die over and over again would be bad, but at the same time, you know that they will be back. 

My dad died unexpectedly three and a half years ago, and I would, without a doubt, choose to relive the same life over and over again so that I would get to see him again. You also have to consider that even if you live forever, the rest of the species will not.  And as we learned from Highlander, every mortal you love will die, which sucks. Humanity will eventually be wiped out by something: super-plague, meteor impact, nuclear war, etc.

#13 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Live forever.  Then I will be able to attempt a Science Victory in real life.

#14 Posted by Popogeejo (615 posts) -
@RE_Player92: Memories from the start would be odd but maybe give 'em to me when I start school? 
Either way I think I'd go with immortality. Reliving the same life over and over would just be confusing. You'd go mad trying to figure out "the perfect run." At least with immortality you have constant variety.
#15 Posted by IBurningStar (2173 posts) -

Both of those choices kind of suck. I mean, suddenly having all this information pop into your head could totally destroy your psyche. Or you could end up as the oldest and crazies person to ever exist, due to the fact that your brain would start to deteriorate over time. Your memory and learning skills just wouldn't be what they use to. I guess that if I had to pick one I would going with being reborn and carrying information over. Although, I would much prefer my death to be more like a Timelord and just have me regenerate. I've always wanted to be ginger. Just once. Just one time.

#16 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

Both.

#17 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -
@IBurningStar said:
" I've always wanted to be ginger. Just once. Just one time. "
It is kind of awesome.

Anyway, I'd live forever. No point in reliving the past, even if you can change it.
#18 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" I was asked this question and I was wondering if this would be an interesting topic for the forums. So here is the gist of the question. Would you rather keep reliving your life, as in living through your life now and when you die you are born again and can live through that time again while retaining all the knowledge you possessed, or live forever but you would still have to age, so it would be like the previous conditions where when you die you are reborn yet this time you are born at the time you die. The only restrictions are that you wouldn't be able to get the knowledge you had from your previous mind until you were say 16 or 18. Personally I would choose living forever because even though I could relive my life and not make the same mistakes twice I would have to constantly see my family members die over and over again. "
Your question has flaws which skew the answer. Why would I choose to live forever, while also aging, and then being reborn, but not possessing any of my previous knowledge?
#19 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@Claude said:
" I almost died trying to read that. "
#20 Posted by Shirogane (3574 posts) -

I thought these choices were both horrible, until i read what you actually said. 

If i can have those memories and every time is different, sure. I'll go with that any day. 

Only difference i'd make is, give back the memories kinda slowly over time. So you get stuff before they happen, not just everything suddenly hitting you all at once. I can imagine what would happen. Total freak out moment.

#21 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Both options are appealing, but I totally regret that I won't be able to see what the future is like, where humanity will be 100, 1000, 10,000 years from now, whether or not Seattle sports will get a championship again, and how it will all end. So that for sure. 

#22 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Both are tragic. I choose neither.

#23 Posted by Depressing_Wizard (186 posts) -

Is a swift, peaceful death in the next 10-15 years an option?

#24 Posted by face15 (1301 posts) -

I couldn't bare either of those. The endlessness would be awful. This sounds incredibly emo, but in a lot of ways it's almost comforting knowing that an end is coming.

#25 Posted by Brians (1463 posts) -

Would I want to be Sisyphus? No, live forever no.

#26 Edited by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Living forever if I do not deteriorate from my current state of age. 

I do not want to be a elder for the rest of my life. 

Reliving your life would be cool to experience death and see how it feels though.

#27 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -

live for ever and be done with it

#28 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" Relive my life. I got a lot of things to fix.  "
Could be interesting seeing how things could change based on tiny choices.
#29 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -

Live forever I guess.

#30 Edited by olegyef (24 posts) -

Best part of life is learning and having new experiences, if you lived forever i think life would become really dull. Think about the thrills you got by going on your first date, going to see your first concert, going on your first road trip with out your parents. I would never want to be reborn knowing everything i know now. Also like i think some else said it the beauty of life is it does end, if it didn't it wouldn't be a  precious thing. 

#31 Posted by Hector (3364 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
" I want a New Game Plus for life. "
Bingo!
#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Live forever. I have nothing in this life that I care about or would miss, while the absolute magic of getting to see what becomes of earth and humans is fascinating.

#33 Posted by kingkorn69 (321 posts) -

Great question.   I would rather relive my life so I can right all the wrongs I have done.  But seeing my family die all over again is horrid!  Could I warn people that I lost not to do what they were doing as it would change history??

#34 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

That's an obvious answer for me. I'd keep living on into the future, only because what the future holds interests me. Reliving this one life and keeping the memory would be boring even if there are great things that had happened, but you always look for something new and if life around doesn't progress, what fun and exciting world would that be? The only thing I would be bummed out from is everyone I come to love would pass away in time. Plus, everything important world wide when it comes to catastrophies would have happened before I turned 16 and 18. Personally, I can't see why anyone else would choose otherwise unless they can't forget the negative aspects in their life that they'd like to fix. But after doing that just once, what else is there? Really. Now this is random, but I want to live one the Sprawl with a nanosuit :P.
#35 Posted by NTM (7379 posts) -

Edit on my previous post: I mixed two of them together about the age thing. Either way though, my opinion stays the same.
#36 Posted by AlisterCat (5568 posts) -

I'd rather have another shot trying to make a better go of the one I have.

#37 Posted by MightyDuck (1522 posts) -

I've had this conversation with quite a few friends lately.  I'm 23 now, full time job, responsibilities, bills to pay, etc.

The overall consensus among my friends and I were that we wish we could go back to grade school with the things we know now.  Back then was a blast.  No job, no responsibility besides going to school.  Those were the days.  I remember going to school and then racing home to keep playing Resident Evil or Final Fantasy VII.

#38 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

live forever. Just cause then i could watch everyone die.

#39 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -

Re-living.  My parents in their 20s and 30s again > Iphone100 and World war 5.

#40 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19342 posts) -

Living forever.  Man, having to deal with school all over again would be a fucking pain as well as a whole lot of other stuff which would prove to be immensely boring, especially when I got my previous memory back.

#41 Posted by Falconer (1686 posts) -

Relive my life. As everyone else has said, I would like to right my wrongs and whatnot. But also because the future looks like shit. Environmental problems, diminishing resources, over population. I'm going to have to live through the beginning of that as it is. I don't want to live through ALL of it. 

Not to mention I can make an ass load of money every time with sports betting. :P

#42 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -

I would probably live forever. 

@Claude said:

" I almost died trying to read that. "
#43 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

This article is the reason I would choose reliving my life over immortality.

#44 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

Live Forever.

#45 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

Considering I made most of my mistakes before I was 16-18 not having the knowledge of those would make it pointless to re-live my life. I'll take immortality!

#46 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

Live forever. I want to be a gamer in the 22nd century.

#47 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" relive my life! I got a lot of things to fix "
and because i'd have knowledge of the future and of my own future, which would be amazing to manipulate !
#48 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Is that you, Nietzsche?

#49 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -

Not sure what my answer would be, but this came to mind...
#50 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

Watch "man from earth" great movie about living for a loooong time