• 63 results
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Re-makes are being pumped out left and right these days, particularly in the horror genre. While many say these re-makes aren't needed when the classics are so good, I've felt that some have been a breath of fresh air that compliments or even trumps the original films quite nicely.  

That being said, would you re-make your favorite film of all time? Who would you cast in it? If it's already been re-made, do you approve of it? 

My favorite movie is Jaws, I've seen it more times than I can possibly recall. If given the chance to re-make it I would, but I would make sure that NO CGI sharks would be involved.  

Casting: 

Jackie Earle Haley as Quint 
Steve Buscemi as Hooper 
George Clooney as Brody 

Odd choices, I know.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By inkeiren

I don't really know. It's such a hard choice. My favorite movie is Gattaca, and I feel like a remake could be horrible, but that there is a slight chance that with the right team behind it there could be a fairly good remake.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@Everyones_A_Critic: Dude, you'd remake Jaws? That almost offends me. It still holds up very nicely.

I think remakes are often times a bad idea. If I think a movie should be remade, there's no way it would ever qualify as being one of my favorites.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By sjschmidt93

No.  

I'd fucking ruin it.

Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGreatGuero said:
" @Everyones_A_Critic: Dude, you'd remake Jaws? That almost offends me. It still holds up very nicely.  I think remakes are often times a bad idea. If I think a movie should be remade, there's no way it would ever qualify as being one of my favorites. "
I think a re-make would open the film up to modern audiences, who would see the original and laugh it off as "The stupid movie with the fake ass shark." While I can go back to it time and time again, if treated in the right manner I think it has the potential to be great.
Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SmasheControllers

No

Sektion9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sektion9

Hell no. Blade Runner can never be remade.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ververdan0226

Why would I remake an already fantastic movie from 1998?? And my favorite movie is Magnolia by the way... 

EDIT: Oops... don't know why i said 1998, I meant 1999. Dumb typo.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By gingertastic_10

Probably not. It's only a year old so that would be a odd thing to do. Plus it's already damn perfect.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By jeffgoldblum

If anyone even tries to remake Back to the Future I will lose my mind.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By lemon360

I'm ok with remaking The Thing.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ververdan0226
@lemon360 said:

" I'm ok with remaking The Thing. "

You'd remake arguably the best horror film of all time?? Shame on you... it's near perfect already.
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ververdan0226 said:
"@lemon360 said:

" I'm ok with remaking The Thing. "

You'd remake arguably the best horror films of all time?? Shame on you... it's near perfect already. "
Well it's getting a prequel. I've always wondered why people bill it as best horror movie ever though, it's damn good, but I think The Exorcist still reigns over it.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ververdan0226
@Everyones_A_Critic: It is?? God damnit... please don't tell me it's by some hack director and going straight to DVD or something like that. Hate to tarnish a good name. 

And The Excorcist is quite good, but I think I've always held The Thing supreme for horror films...
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By breadfan

Never

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#16  Edited By citizenkane
@Br3adfan said:
" Never "
Seriously.  It's my favorite movie, so why does it need to be remade?
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ververdan0226 said:

" @Everyones_A_Critic: It is?? God damnit... please don't tell me it's by some hack director and going straight to DVD or something like that. Hate to tarnish a good name.  And The Excorcist is quite good, but I think I've always held The Thing supreme for horror films... "

Matthijs Van Heijningen is attached as director, with Eric Heisserer    as writer. My source: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/15102  (The writer in the article is wrong). After looking up......Fuck that, I'm not writing his name again, "The Director"'s work, he seems like a hack. Not sure if it's getting a straight to DVD release though. 

And for the record I think a re-make of the Thing isn't necessary, as the film is one of the few films that still turns my stomach. The scene where one of the guy's stomach opens up and takes off the other guy's arm never fails to get me.    
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ververdan0226
@Everyones_A_Critic said:   The scene where one of the guy's stomach opens up and takes off the other guy's arm never fails to get me.     "

Oh god, I know. Me too... Oh and by the way, the The Thing game for PS2 was surprisingly underrated. Just throwing that out there.
Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Cornman89

No. The Shawshank Redemption was PERFECT.

Avatar image for deactivated-135098
deactivated-135098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

A Clockwork Orange is something I wouldn't meddle with. It's thought provoking, visually striking, perfectly acted cinema. So why change it?

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By GunstarRed

No, I think James Cameron would come and kill me in my sleep...IN 3D!
Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

No, this film is and still is a classic 

No Caption Provided
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ryanwho

I'd remaster it, what makes a favorite film favorite are the individual performances and how they worked together. Which is exactly what you dont get in a remake. Now if you wanna go back and remaster Legend, and make some of the more dated scenes (like the fight at the end where you can see the guy inside the demon suit during the fight) well that grand, Stan, Im all for it. But have respect for what made it a classic in the first place.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Brunchies

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. 

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Discorsi

No way.  My favorite movie doesn't really revolve around special effects or anything like that so yeaaaa.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HandsomeDead
@marioncobretti said:
" No, I think James Cameron would come and kill me in my sleep...IN 3D! "
This is pretty much my thought as I could never remake Terminator 2. I could remake Terminator 3 though and make that into a good movie.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Black_Rose

Hmm...my favorite film is animated, but I wouldn't mind making a live-action version. I'd probably ruin it though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By ajamafalous

Instead of the happy ending of Fight Club, I would have the narrator kill both himself and Tyler Durden (as opposed to killing Tyler but he himself somehow surviving), then roll credits.

Keep everything else the same.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By BlastProcessing
@JeffGoldblum said:
" If anyone even tries to remake Back to the Future I will lose my mind. "
Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus

my favourite movie is probably either requiem for a dream or fight club, and im not confident enough that a remake would do anything other than butcher the original visions.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RetroIce4

Ferris Bueller's Day Off would be terrible if you remade that. You CAN'T remake it anyway.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By xMP44x

I couldn't pull off a remake of any of my favorite films. I'd mutilate all of them, I just know it.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

it's fine like it is... but it wouldn't hurt to make it darker and possibly fix up the plot... maybe add more secondary character stuff

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By maxszy

No, Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back does not need to be remade. We've already seen what Lucas has done with new Star Wars, remaking the best film he's ever made would be a major mistake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Saw and the godfather will never be remade, I hope.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mrnitropb

Taxi Driver

Set in New Orleans (nawlans), with Micheal Cera as a recently returned Iraq war vet who can't readjust to being back home. He can't sleep, and takes up a cabbi job to pay the bills and fill the nights. Likes to creep around the swamps with a set of night-vision goggles and a ka-bar knife, and poach gators after wrestling one at a farm. Stays coked-up on RedLine and other energy drinks, and starts going rapidly down hill.  The katrina aftermath, and failed rebuilding, the focus on tourism spots, disgusts him, as well as the rampant poverty, drugs use, and the corruption and "filth" thats taken over. He hates the bigots and racists and rednecks, but the hippies and hipsters and politicians too. No problems with the vodun mammas though. 

By the time he meets a young lady of the night, played by well anyone really. No one smoking hot, just small town southern girl in over her head in prostitution, a coke problem, and all that jazz.   Bickle of course falls for our young starlet, offers her free rides to her "appointments", starts stalking he even when not on duty, with more night-vision goggle scenes. He catches her with politicians and business men, and films them, and watches the videos while masochistically abusing himself.  Things go shitty as she gets more creeped out by him, and her nervousness causes problems with an important John, and Bickle is spotted, and a set-up is assumed. Parts of her body are found in the swamp Bickle hunts in, and he is nearly killed by a man who attacks him in his cab, a man sent by the pimps who ran the young lady.  The man is killed in a clever and brutal way, possibly by smashing the passenger part of the cab into something., or simply shooting him though the face.

We get a Suiting Up montage, inclusing the sleeve gun, a shaving of  the head, and some bad ass sunglasses. The Big John receives a couriered package that includes still of his underage encounters, and a video tape. A message warns "you won't be fucking anybody ever again.", and he is shot through the crotch by Bickle, DC Sniper style. Then we get the stormng of the hellish whorehouse, complete with SM dungeon, and a donkey. He is horrified to discover a fresh shioment of young girls locked in a cellar, and has flashabacks to Iraq, while shootting dudes, and getting stabbed. The police have followed him and rush into the scene as it fades to white, the scream of the young girls beggin cops to help him, as he bleeds out.

So I want Micheal Cera, and I want to give him to R Lee Ermy, and to completely fucking break him as a person. I want to se how dark and painful he can go. He has the painful akwardness, and the is Licoln skinny like Diniro was back then. I think his acting chops are up to it, and after as much sugary sweet weird stupid shit as he's been type cast into, I think he needs it. So break him down hollywood bottcampstyle, have him add 20 pounds of muscle, and some Krav Maga lessons, and he's set. I wold have him kill an alligator with his bare hands, and cook it. Just to fuck with him.

So who has 30$ million and some connections?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hatking
@ververdan0226 said:
"Why would I remake an already fantastic movie from 1998?? And my favorite movie is Magnolia by the way...  EDIT: Oops... don't know why i said 1998, I meant 1999. Dumb typo. "

Aside from my roommate you are the first person I've ever seen that said that Magnolia is their favorite film.  I love that movie and P.T. Anderson, you obviously have great taste in movies.
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jonnyboy

Dude I would LOVE a remake of "TANGO & CASH", but lets face it the original was perfect.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#39  Edited By chronicsmoke

Remake Pulp Fiction? FUCK NO!
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By teh_destroyer

None of the Evil Dead movies need to be remade, if there must be a sequal, then Bruce Campbell needs to be lead acrtor.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mrnitropb
@jonnyboy said:
" Dude I would LOVE a remake of "TANGO & CASH", but lets face it the original was perfect. "
Dude, that is still one of my favorite movies. No clue who the hell you could get to play them today.
heh, exploding bazooka boots.
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jonnyboy
@Mrnitropb said:
" @jonnyboy said:
" Dude I would LOVE a remake of "TANGO & CASH", but lets face it the original was perfect. "
Dude, that is still one of my favorite movies. No clue who the hell you could get to play them today. heh, exploding bazooka boots. "
Gerrard Butler as Sly Stalone, Zack Effron as Kurt Russel and Katty Perry as Teri Hatcher. See, easy!
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By Red

Yeah, all of my favorite movies aren't dated. However, if I were to remake them, I would act every role, film and direct the whole production.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Black_Raven

If it's good enough to be my favorite film then it wouldn't need a remake.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#45  Edited By the8bitNacho

I don't know about remaking, and I don't know about "favorite movie," but someone needs to do another Titanic movie that doesn't focus on a fake ass love story.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By penguindust

NxNW
NxNW
My favorite movie is North by Northwest starring Cary Grant and directed by Alfred Hitchcock.  So, right off the bat, anyone remaking the movie has some iconic shoes to fill.  Cary Grant was one of a kind and no one has come close to being as smooth and charming and witty on screen as he has in my opinion.  There've been other actors who've been one or two of those things, but no one puts it all into one package as perfectly as he did.  And then there is Hitchcock who was and is still the ultimate master of suspense.  From the 39 Steps to Topaz, he had the ability to weave well paced tales that thrilled and tweaked your sense of humor.  In trying to think of a director who could handle the project, the only ones that come to mind are the Coen brothers, but they're also much darker in tone than Hitchcock.  However, I think I might like to see them try their hand at another of his works to see how they do.  The Trouble with Harry would be a good start since it's a very funny quirky film.  

Still Gorgeous
Still Gorgeous
So back to the cast, Eve Marie Saint played the female lead in the movie with a seductive coyness that was both naive and manipulative.  Well, I'm going to depart from casting another similar actress in the role and instead choose someone who is so hot I believe any man would do anything she asks.  That woman is Salma Hayek.  The role requires a flirtatious duplicity which I think she'd be perfect for.  

The heavy of the movie was played by James Mason.  He was a charming yet sinister man who rarely gave the impression of not being completely in control of every situation.  A modern actor who could take that place is Liam Neeson.  He's certainly a capable actor and can be both engaging and intimidating.  From Darkman to Taken, he demands the viewer's attention.  If he was 10 years younger, I might have considered him for the Cary Grant role...well, if he was funny, too. 

Still Kick'n Ass
Still Kick'n Ass
So, back to Grant, himself.  "Roger Thornhill" was a man being swept along by forces out of his control.  Whether dodging crop dusters in cornfields or hanging from the face of Mt Rushmore, he enbodies an everyman quality but also much more.  He is noble, even jocular, in the face of the chaotic circumstances he finds himself embroiled in.  For the role, I've narrowed it down to three choices although all fall short of Grant in one or another sense.  Jude Law has displayed an undefined magnetic charm on screen in films like the Talented Mr. Ripley and Alfie.  Colin Farrell can be brash and sarcastic but remain likable as witnessed in 2008's In Bruges.  Finally, there is Ralph Fiennes.  Combining both Law's charm and Farrell's likable raw energy, Fiennes brings to the screen a laundry list of exceptional movies illustrating his talent.  If I have any misgivings, it would be to his comedic abilities.  Between the Avengers and Maid in Manhattan, I'm not sure how he'd lighten the mood periodically.  In that, I would leave it to the Coens to bring forth that humor.  Fiennes is also a better age fit for Hayek and reuniting him with Neeson is always a fun idea.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Scooper

I wouldn't remake my favourite film because I don't know how to make films .

hamlaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hamlaser

No one can do Peewee's Big Adventure better than it already is.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By innacces14

Star Wars episodes 4-6. *sees angry mob approaching house* 

Now hold on. All I have to do is take the add-on effects that Mr. Lucas has made to the films, remove them, and done! A Star Wars trilogy that should have been as it was this entire time. *waits for mob response*

ImHungryx10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By ImHungryx10

only remake movies that don't hold up to today's standards, like Peter Jackson's King Kong. So no I wouldn't remake Lost in Translation cause it's perfect already. :D