Would you support your state leaving the Union?

• 94 results
CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

No, I'm not wearing some tin foil hat and this isn't a conspiracy. It's actually an honest question. I know it's against the law to leave, but things change over time.

I was at work today, and I overheard a group of customers talking about California's budget crisis and how California should become its own independent nation. I always thought talk like that was reserved for Texas, not California. I then hung out with some friends and told them about it and they seemed fine with the idea, and that California should indeed leave the union.

California, like the other big states New York and Texas, pay more in income tax than we receive in federal spending. So an independent California could, in theory, use that federal money to pay off its debts. So I see where they're coming from, but independence seems a rather drastic step.

My opinion is that I wouldn't vote for something like that, but if it happened I wouldn't move.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By nintendoeats

Yeah, it would be really nice if Canada stopped being part of the United States. Then maybe we could keep all of our water for ourselves.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

What state?

Avatar image for prince_of_space
Prince_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Prince_of_Space

Nah, Michigan would probably be even worse off on its own.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

That would be treason.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By pyromagnestir

No, kick some of them shitty states out instead. Massachusetts is here to stay.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

@Video_Game_King: The state you live in, if you live in the US

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

Yes fuck the Scottish. And the Welsh. And the Northern Irish.

This isn't what you meant and I knew that.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ShaggE

Pshh, we're a Commonwealth. Eat that, suckas.

... Wait, PA sucks. Damn. :(

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sockemjetpack

Hmmm... this thread reeks of sedition. Agents have been dispatched to your area.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Dagbiker

California being a state in the United States is not the reason why it has problems with money.

At one point when I was younger, I thought my state should leave, but it is dumb, and only creates a lot of new problems.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd give me a reason to leave California. Maybe head up to Oregon or Washington.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones

Are you a communist? You're probably a communist. You communist bastard!!

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

@Dagbiker said:

California being a state in the United States is not the reason why it has problems with money.

At one point when I was younger, I thought my state should leave, but it is dumb, and only creates a lot of new problems.

I understand that, I live in California after all.

I actually think California would do okay as an independent nation, and would be in the best shape of all the states to do so. It's just I don't think it would be the right decision to leave, after all it was the United States that made California we know today possible.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kermoosh

never, that stated would be screwed on it's own. with all the trading in the country that state would face a ton of tariffs that would destroy them

you would have to be stupid to propose this, or not living in that state to propose it

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By benspyda

I live in Australia so I voted yes.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

I have no interest in treason or civil war, so nope.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deathstriker666

I would have no regrets killing you dirty secessionists. For the Union!

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By salad10203

@deathstriker666 said:

I would have no regrets killing you dirty secessionists. For the Union!

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Blackout62

*Weighs the options* Would we be going by the New California Republic?

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Brunchies

I would like for Florida to succeed and join up with Puerto Rico, that would be a cool nation.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By BoG

I think that we'd sooner be kicked out than try to leave. The general perception of my state, Utah, is that it's very strange.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gargantuan

Västerbotten should probably stay with Sweden.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27  Edited By JasonR86

No.

Plus my state would just implode if they left the Union. I live in Washington and our state government is run by idiots.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Toxeia

California splitting off from the rest of the country would help... how? I wouldn't mind it - they're a drain on the rest of the country. Good luck with your fantastic legislation and crippling state debt.

Here in Texas the only talk of secession is when people bring up Obama wanting to break into your home and steal your guns. I'd support it if the federal government ever did start infringing on the rights granted by the Bill of Rights, but otherwise it's better to stay in the union and do your part to change it for the better.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

@Jaytow said:

We fight for freedom, so that everyman may have democracy. Oh and if you don't want to be part of our union then fuck you, traitor. Tak about becoming the very thing you tried to escape, huh? Even we British folk allow our nations to leave the union.

I do agree with that. I think if a clear majority of the people in a state vote to leave they should be allowed to.

I would vote no, but if say Arizona voted to leave that is their business.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Animasta

only if it included washington and british columbia

cascadia motherfuckers

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By Dagbiker

@CRAzYKiLL3R93 said:

@Dagbiker said:

I understand that, I live in California after all.

I actually think California would do okay as an independent nation, and would be in the best shape of all the states to do so. It's just I don't think it would be the right decision to leave, after all it was the United States that made California we know today possible.

What will you use for money? You cant use the dollar bill, because you dont control the printing of that. I assume you dont have facaltys that can print unique paper money.

How will you get the supply's you need? You need Imports, because your country cant do everything. You cant produce all the electronics, weapons, medicine, and food, your country needs. In order to get this you need exports, what will you export. Do you produce enough of it. Is it valued high enough.

What will you use for an army? How will you stop the USA, from taking its troops and occuping your cities. You dont have an Army trained for this, in fact you dont have an Army at all.

These are just a few of the problems that you will encounter when you leave the nation.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Clonedzero

well with current day circumstances? no.

if things got really weird and crazy,?sure.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

@Toxeia said:

California splitting off from the rest of the country would help... how? I wouldn't mind it - they're a drain on the rest of the country. Good luck with your fantastic legislation and crippling state debt.

Here in Texas the only talk of secession is when people bring up Obama wanting to break into your home and steal your guns. I'd support it if the federal government ever did start infringing on the rights granted by the Bill of Rights, but otherwise it's better to stay in the union and do your part to change it for the better.

As I said before, that money California pays the federal government would stay in California, technically speaking California is not a drain on the nation. We are more liberal than the nation as a whole (though not as liberal as people think) so I guess that would be a reason too. California and Texas are polar opposites so it would be for different reasons., government not doing enough vs government doing too much. While I don't think those men thought about setting up a new currency or the other duties of a nation. It's an easy idea to think about, but a lot goes into making a nation.

Texas is basically ran by business, that's a terrible way of doing things. So your state doesn't have it right either. And sure, we're in debt but we're cutting spending and voting to raise taxes in November in an attempt to fix ourselves.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

@Dagbiker: Yeah I understand all of that.

California makes a surprising amount of food, and is one of the leading food producing states in the nation. Central California is all farmland.

As I've said in previous posts, I don't support leaving. But out of all of the states, I think California would be the most able to go it alone. If California was independent it would be a top ten world economy.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I'm in favor of huge cities like Chicago, NYC, LA, ect ect become like D.C.  Totally independent of the states they are in.  That way the rest of the state does not have to pay for being part of such crap.  You have no idea how much I hate Chicago and how badly it fucks up the rest of the state.  Make it independent and then throw up a wall so it's trash can't come south like it does now.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BoG said:

I think that we'd sooner be kicked out than try to leave. The general perception of my state, Utah, is that it's very strange.

Your forefathers just couldn't bear the thought of only having one wife.
Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pox22

I would not support the secession of Illinois, since our country would essentially be Chicago.

No sale.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By frankfartmouth

@sins_of_mosin said:

I'm in favor of huge cities like Chicago, NYC, LA, ect ect become like D.C. Totally independent of the states they are in. That way the rest of the state does not have to pay for being part of such crap. You have no idea how much I hate Chicago and how badly it fucks up the rest of the state. Make it independent and then throw up a wall so it's trash can't come south like it does now.

So it's trash doesn't go south to where? Beautiful, idyllic Alton? I'd much rather live in Chicago than Central or Southern Illinois. Although a wall or a dome surrounding the city would be kind of cool.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

@Pox22 said:

I would not support the secession of Illinois, since our country would essentially be Chicago.

No sale.

Is Chicago really that bad? You're not the first person in this thread to say it sucks

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By beej

@Animasta: Woah California isn't part of Cascadia, that's reserved for us lucky Oregonians, Washington residents and B.C. residents!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Animasta

@beej said:

@Animasta: Woah California isn't part of Cascadia, that's reserved for us lucky Oregonians, Washington residents and B.C. residents!

well I didn't mean california silly D: though some representations of it have had parts of northern cali afaik.

Avatar image for spacejamlunchbox
SpaceJamLunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SpaceJamLunchbox

Living in Ohio, I would not support such an absurd idea, I do, however support Texas trying it. Watching Texans scatter to the border of the state to build the biggest goddamn fence you've ever seen would be worth the loss.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Winternet

That would make sense to California. I believe if they went independent, they would be the 5th or 6th richest country in the world.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By ThePickle

My state is NJ, so probably not. We're tiny. But if we were a country we'd have the 26th highest GDP!

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By beej

@Animasta said:

@beej said:

well I didn't mean california silly D: though some representations of it have had parts of northern cali afaik.

I always thought southern Oregon and California went and did their own thing. Woops.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#46  Edited By Little_Socrates

No, Illinois would be fucked!

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By benpicko

@AlexW00d said:

Yes fuck the Scottish. And the Welsh. And the Northern Irish.

This isn't what you meant and I knew that.

I thought that was what he meant :(.

StalkingTurnip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By StalkingTurnip

@SpaceJamLunchbox said:

Living in Ohio, I would not support such an absurd idea, I do, however support Texas trying it. Watching Texans scatter to the border of the state to build the biggest goddamn fence you've ever seen would be worth the loss.

As a Texan, I would vote to secede only if our new northern border's fence was made out of guns. We really missed an oppurtunity with the last one.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Karl_Boss

Defection is always cool so sure.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mandude

Yes. Mighty Eire should remove itself from the EU and become the major world power it was always destined to be.

On a more realistic note, if Washington were to secede, I would leave instantly, as there is very little keeping me here anyway. My allegiance to it is as such that I would still find it interesting enough to see happening, despite any wishes to leave when it does, though.