#1  Edited By RetroIce4
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Yes if I found someone I was fully compatible with.

I'm not against the idea, but I've been married once so it's really not high up on my to do list.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By zitosilva

You mean in the church or in the state? Then, no.

Living with someone I really like for the rest of my life? Sure, yes.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Speaking as a married man of 11 years....There's no real point to marriage nowadays that can't be taken care of as an agreement or understanding between you and the other person. 

All the advantages like reduced taxes, health insurance, etc that existed years ago are gone.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

No, not really

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By destro

Hell no, marriage is a lost cause now.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo

If she's Asian.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By super_machine

yes, done that.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Sure, someday maybe. I'll try anything once.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Hexpane

The legal benefits are an absolute must have.   They override the problems w/ convention, religion and stigma.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Totally.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

No. What's the point?

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hexpane
HandsomeDead said:
"No. What's the point?"
Death and taxes.. oh wait that is another colloquialism.  The real point of marriage in america is the legal status.   You can get hospital visits w/o endless paperwork, if the "god forbid" bad thing ever happens etc...  People who are in relationships but not married get the legal run around when things go bad.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pibo47

Mmmm...maybe.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Megalon

It's funny how a forum with a bunch of dudes don't see the point in marriage, besides tax benefits. I wonder if there is a comparable female-oriented forum somewhere having the same discussion, with the exact opposite consensus. 

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Megalon said:
"It's funny how a forum with a bunch of dudes don't see the point in marriage, besides tax benefits. I wonder if there is a comparable female-oriented forum somewhere having the same discussion, with the exact opposite consensus. "
Maybe, but I would assume that many women feel the same way: that marriage is pointless.

Back in Ye Olden Days, you couldn't get laid unless you were married, now you can, so what's the point?
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Megalon
Bullet_Jr said:
"Megalon said:
"It's funny how a forum with a bunch of dudes don't see the point in marriage, besides tax benefits. I wonder if there is a comparable female-oriented forum somewhere having the same discussion, with the exact opposite consensus. "
Maybe, but I would assume that many women feel the same way: that marriage is pointless.

Back in Ye Olden Days, you couldn't get laid unless you were married, now you can, so what's the point?"
The bachelor party and the wedding gifts, of course. 
Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By auspiciousqueue
Even if it is pointless, I would still like to get married. i'll give it the 'old college try'.

Bullet_Jr
said:
Back in Ye Olden Days, you couldn't get laid unless you were married, now you can, so what's the point?"
I guess guys would feel that is the case. But what do you call a woman who sleeps around without being married? Even in a society such as ours, the pressure for me to get married and have a baby is horrible. I get asked all the time and people look at me with pity. Quite frustrating.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bullet_Jr
auspiciousqueue said:
"
Even if it is pointless, I would still like to get married. i'll give it the 'old college try'.

Bullet_Jr
said:
But what do you call a woman who sleeps around without being married?
That's not the same thing as not being married though. I don't hold anything against a woman who sleeps around if she is a person of strong character.

My point is that a man and a woman, can have an exclusive relationship, even with a family, without going through the LEGAL PROCESS that is marriage.

There is no shame in being married if you are happy, and in the end, that's what it's all about.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Snipzor

Now that it is legal for me to get married, hell yes. But it is mostly a symbolic reason than anything else.

Sure the legal benefits are fine, actually they're great, fuck it man. Legal reasons all the way! Who needs symbolism in life, that's what literature is for.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero

The negative views of marriage expressed throughout this thread are pretty disappointing. Where is the love, man?

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bullet_Jr
TheGreatGuero said:
"The negative views of marriage expressed throughout this thread are pretty disappointing. Where is the love, man?"
Marriage and love are not the same thing.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Milkman

Of course. Sorry, but if all you guys see in marriage is the "legal benefits" then that's pretty sad.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hexpane
TheGreatGuero said:
"The negative views of marriage expressed throughout this thread are pretty disappointing. Where is the love, man?"
In the USA divorce rate is hovering around 50%.  So half of all marriages fail, and statistically the more times you marry, the more times you are likely to fail.

The history of marriage is not about love and wanting to be w/ someone.  Historically marriage was about attempting to improve social status, financial security and hobknobbing politics.  Many of the "classic" literary works about romance back in the day, most of the "true love" was outside marriage, or married people in love w/ other married peeps they were not married to.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Hexpane said:
"TheGreatGuero said:
In the USA divorce rate is hovering around 50%.  So half of all marriages fail, and statistically the more times you marry, the more times you are likely to fail.

The history of marriage is not about love and wanting to be w/ someone.  Historically marriage was about attempting to improve social status, financial security and hobknobbing politics.  Many of the "classic" literary works about romance back in the day, most of the "true love" was outside marriage, or married people in love w/ other married peeps they were not married to."
I agree, an nice avitar.

To me, marriage seems like an unnecessary and redundant landmark in life.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RetroIce4
Bullet_Jr said:
"TheGreatGuero said:
Marriage and love are not the same thing."
LOL!
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By BoG

This poll is so vague, I don't really know what to think. Personally, I say yes. Those of you who say no thinking you can share a loving relationship despite marital status I fear are mistaken. It has been proven time and time again that marriage is a much more stable, enriching relationship then cohabitation. Symbolic though it may be, simply going through the motions in a declaration of your love for another instills a greater love and devotion for your partner then simply living with them in the relationship. Personally, I will do it for the companionship and stability (and love, of course) that are enhanced in a couples relationship when they wed. Right now, being only 19 years of age, that time of my life is a ways off, so I try not to dwell on it too often.

Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Stanford

Yeah, but I have some major restrictions. First, she has to be a member of my church and then she has to be nice and all that nice stuff.  She also has to be able to deal with my sever imachurity.  

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pibo47
Snipzor said:
"Now that it is legal for me to get married, hell yes. "
Ummm....what?
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hexpane

and just for the record I plan on getting married to my girl, we just haven't gotten around to it yet, the weight of a mortgage has kept us busy working

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By teptom
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RetroIce4
BoG said:
"This poll is so vague, I don't really know what to think. Personally, I say yes. Those of you who say no thinking you can share a loving relationship despite marital status I fear are mistaken. It has been proven time and time again that marriage is a much more stable, enriching relationship then cohabitation. Symbolic though it may be, simply going through the motions in a declaration of your love for another instills a greater love and devotion for your partner then simply living with them in the relationship. Personally, I will do it for the companionship and stability (and love, of course) that are enhanced in a couples relationship when they wed. Right now, being only 19 years of age, that time of my life is a ways off, so I try not to dwell on it too often."
Yeah. I had a paragraph about it but I don't know how to add a poll and words. How do I? (I was going to say you don't have to get married but stay with someone you love. It is just up to you.)
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince

Eventually yes.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers