WoW made me appreciate other games' graphics

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By artofwar420

I never really realized how good some (most) of recent games look, the animation, the textures, the higher polygons, until I really got into WoW. If it wasn't for the excellent art in WoW I think the game would look like donkey shit. That says a lot about Blizzard's artists, and how they can make a game "shine" with fewer resources (compared to non-MMO games).

So after 4 straight days of playing WoW and nothing else, I fired up CoD4 and was literally blown away. I think this was a good experience for me, and has made me a LOT less jaded.

Cod four.
Cod four.
Weeeee!
Weeeee!
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By artofwar420

I never really realized how good some (most) of recent games look, the animation, the textures, the higher polygons, until I really got into WoW. If it wasn't for the excellent art in WoW I think the game would look like donkey shit. That says a lot about Blizzard's artists, and how they can make a game "shine" with fewer resources (compared to non-MMO games).

So after 4 straight days of playing WoW and nothing else, I fired up CoD4 and was literally blown away. I think this was a good experience for me, and has made me a LOT less jaded.

Cod four.
Cod four.
Weeeee!
Weeeee!
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

You gotta remember that WoW is 4 years old and wasn't really a graphics powerhouse back then, either.  The graphics just need to be functional for WoW... and they are.

Too bad the game can be more addictive than crack.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator

"If it wasn't for the excellent art in WoW I think the game would look like donkey shit."

This is a bit of a contradiction. Surely the same could be said of COD4 - because all computer generated visualisations have their own artistic merits.

But I understand your point. We are encouraged to think along the lines of "Better graphics does not necessarily mean a better game" but to deny it's impact at all is just wrong. If a game has breathtaking visuals then they should be noted and appropriately appreciated. I don't think this is really a fair criticism of WoW though; that its bad because other games of a completely different genre have better graphics?

The art style of WoW was designed that way deliberately so that it was accessible to everyone whilst retaining a strong sense of style. With 2.5 million people jumping onto the Lich King, it seems to be working...

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By artofwar420

Maybe I should rephrase, WoW does look good for a games of its age and type, and when I went back to CoD4 I appreciated the graphics even more.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

I don't even see how you can say the art style is so good. It just looks like every other fantasy thing to me.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By artofwar420
HandsomeDead said:
"I don't even see how you can say the art style is so good. It just looks like every other fantasy thing to me."
I disagree.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead
artofwar420 said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"I don't even see how you can say the art style is so good. It just looks like every other fantasy thing to me."
I disagree."
How is it different? I don't mean that in some cocky way but all I see are wizards in coloured robes and knights in armour walking round medieval themed areas blasting elves and orcs with spells. And i've seen that a million times before.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

Genius begets genius.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Lunarbunny

It's the old art direction vs. bleeding-edge technical methods argument.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Gunner

Lol.. I just ran VC not 10 minutes ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-579a5a254c9a3
deactivated-579a5a254c9a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Tarsier said:
"The art style of WoW is nothing special at all. It's just blocky cartoony fantasy."
+1
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Verdugo
Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Blinck

I actually find the visuals in WOTLK very  nice in their own way. Blizzard environment designers are the best. The art is great and funny, the scale is amazing, very nice details, and they are very immersive, they get you immersed in those places. Of course that in terms of technology they are way behind recent games, but they still have their charm, and they have been pretty much enhanced in WOTLK ( dynamic shadows, great view distance, light and particles new effects, etc.)
Anyway, try to play a game with the graphics of COD4 as an MMORPG, and then you will see why developers can't pull much in that field ( Age of Conan sucked in that aspect because almost no one could run it decent when it came out)
Just my opinion.
Cheers

FreshPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By FreshPrince

WoW never needed great graphics with it's amazing art, the game is still my favorite looking game to this day