Wow! Man this is kinda of scary...

Austin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Austin

In the year 2014 the United States Department of Education predicts that 22% of jobs will require ATLEAST a 4 year college degree and 55%of all jobs will require ATLEAST a 2 year associate's degree. As I was reading this I thought.."What is gonna happen to my friends that dropped out in their senior year?" Kids at my highschool are dropping  out like flies.What the hell are they gonna do?

Man, times are changing at expontial rates!!! For example, I was a freshman in highschool  in 06(now a junior*2nd semester* in 09) Our freahman class for the whole state of louisiana  was required to take 2 more classes to gradute than previous years. Now the freshman's of the 08=09 school year are required to take 2 more classes to gradute. We need 28 to graduate they need 30. Why are they doing this? They never changed the graduation requirments that often in the 80's or even the freakin 90's and early 2000's. I remeber in Kindergarden we just took naps and colored. Now my lilittle cousin actually does math, english, science, and social studies in Kindergarden:D WTF? America you need to slow down on this education thing.
My only complaint is why does all this have to start now? I have had to do waaaaay more crap to gradaute in 2010 than my brother did when he garduated in 2004.
THIS SUCKS!
End Rant/

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Optiow

woah, I never knew thast things were this weird in the USA!

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Discorsi

How does that suck? 

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By keyhunter

I didn't graduate highschool because I didn't complete a 15 minute red booklet that asks me questions about my feelings...
I can go back and complete it any time I want I guess, but I'm too lazy.

Austin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Austin
keyhunter said:
"I didn't graduate highschool because I didn't complete a 15 minute red booklet that asks me questions about my feelings...
I can go back and complete it any time I want I guess, but I'm too lazy."
Are you serious???
Austin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Austin
Discorsi said:
"How does that suck? "
Because its not fair we have to do more required crap in school than previous generations.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By keyhunter
Austin said:
"keyhunter said:
"I didn't graduate highschool because I didn't complete a 15 minute red booklet that asks me questions about my feelings...
Are you serious???"
Yes. Government sanctioned red booklet. "What is your healthy living plan and how will you complete these goals and who will help you with these goals and what will you do to keep peace of mind a blah blah blah now show us a bunch of resume's and college applications"
Austin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Austin
keyhunter said:
"Austin said:
"keyhunter said:
Are you serious???"
Yes. Government sanctioned red booklet. "What is your healthy living plan and how will you complete these goals and who will help you with these goals and what will you do to keep peace of mind a blah blah blah now show us a bunch of resume's and college applications""
Well, u better complete that bullshit red booklet and graduate from highschool. From their you better get a 4 year degree otherwise u aint gonna be shit in this world according to the statitics:(:( :(
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By keyhunter

According to statistics, a well rounded carpenter always has a job, and a well paid one. And that I am.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Hamz

I'm from the UK so I can't really comment on what the education system is like in the USA. But what I can tell you is that these sort of statistics are plucked out of a top hat by "professionals" in this area of research. And I use the word professionals in the loosest possible way as no one can predict whats going to happen in a few years. Hell just look at those economy / financial experts they pay to predict that sort of stuff, good job they did in helping stop the current global credit crunch from occuring!

When I entered my senior year in secondary school they said everyone is going to need a University degree, PhD, BA etc qualification to get a job. They were wrong, so very wrong as employers do not look for qualifications but rather experience in the field of work they are employing you for. Sure you could have a qualification saying you can program computers, repair cars and vehicles or know crazy mathematical equations. But can you actually put whats on the resume into practice? Have you actually got experience doing the job, meeting deadlines, dealing with customers, maintaining a high standard and quality of work etc? Thats what employers want when they hire people, they want people who actually have put all that theory and years of education into practice. Not some wet behind the ears student fresh out of college or university who barely remembers half if any of his course work from his first year.

Then there is also the fact that all the "high paid" or "white collar" jobs are the ones that are being made redundant these days. If your in a trade (electrician, plumber, carpenter or joiner etc) you make more money than a teacher in most cities. Not to mention you'll be hard pressed to ever struggle in finding work. Lets face it how many banks across the world have gone out of business or had to make cut backs on the amount of staff employed compared to the number of business's involved in the trades?

Don't be so caught up in the "oh shit I have to go to college and university to get a good job or I'll never be employed by anyone" frame of mind. At the end of the day with the world the way it is now economically your probably a lot better off bypassing further education and going straight for a job. Get some experience and references on that resume for multiple employers and any future employers will be more inclined to hire you as they atleast know you've actually worked a day in your life instead of sat in a classroom and pretended to understand and learn how to work a day in your life.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne
America you need to slow down on this education thing.
Epic.

AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By AutomaticSnake

shit.... i only got a HS diploma.... it better be good for the rest of my life lol

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gameboi

Sad but true: A Four Year Degree is the new High School Diploma, and the High School Diploma is the new High School Dropout.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar
Austin said:
"In the year 2014 the United States Department of Education predicts that 22% of jobs will require ATLEAST a 4 year college degree and 55%of all jobs will require ATLEAST a 2 year associate's degree. As I was reading this I thought.."What is gonna happen to my friends that dropped out in their senior year?" Kids at my highschool are dropping  out like flies.What the hell are they gonna do?

Man, times are changing at expontial rates!!! For example, I was a freshman in highschool  in 06(now a junior*2nd semester* in 09) Our freahman class for the whole state of louisiana  was required to take 2 more classes to gradute than previous years. Now the freshman's of the 08=09 school year are required to take 2 more classes to gradute. We need 28 to graduate they need 30. Why are they doing this? They never changed the graduation requirments that often in the 80's or even the freakin 90's and early 2000's. I remeber in Kindergarden we just took naps and colored. Now my lilittle cousin actually does math, english, science, and social studies in Kindergarden:D WTF? America you need to slow down on this education thing.
My only complaint is why does all this have to start now? I have had to do waaaaay more crap to gradaute in 2010 than my brother did when he garduated in 2004.
THIS SUCKS!
End Rant/"
Lets take the biggest statistic there. 55% of all jobs will will at least an associate degree.

That 55% includes your plumber, your car mechanic, anything that takes the least amount of skill.

I'm gonna stop myself before I go into a rant, but America is sadly not that high in terms of education compared with the world. We are actually playing catch up. Also, just like our generation gets better technology and better standards of living than our previous generations, we can only keep that up if we work harder or is generally smarter than out previous generation.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RetroIce4

Is it sad that I learned more on the internet than my entire gradeschool and some of high school now than in shool?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_
Austin said:
"Discorsi said:
"How does that suck? "
Because its not fair we have to do more required crap in school than previous generations."
"it's not fair."

How old are you? I'm in the same year in highschool as you are? Really? "Not Fair?" America, in terms of mathematics and sciences, is well below the standard in comparison to other developed countries at most age levels. This is partially because kids are in school longer, have more demanding parents, and get little-to-no vacation over there compared to us. It's also because teachers in this country are generally mediocre at best, if you're lucky. Schools, with politicians controlling the direct overhead, constantly inflate their budgets with necessary "expenses" that often have no relation to furthering the children's educations or even raising their test scores at all. Look up your Superintendent's salary and how it has (if you're like the rest of the nation) increased over the years. Look at the amount of paper and other supplies used and constantly wasted by the school systems. Watch your fellow (or maybe even you) actively destroy what hasn't been broken already, constantly raising costs even more to keep schools minimally functional.

Pay attention to Board meetings and the things that your elected representitives say and do regarding schools. Look at the schools in impoverished areas (if you live in one, you might be going to one) that receive more funding from the State and Federal governments than any normal- or higher-level income district schools around it. Nicer buildings, teacher's salary incentives (to get them to deal with the relative trash that passes through there), impressive equipment and facilities, and even more qualified staff compared to suburban schools. These things all tend to gravitate around these areas, and yet the students perform below grade-level on average, even for American standards. Nothing anybody does tends to raise the measured knowledge or intelligence level of these schools, because none of the kids care. They, like you, simply complain about nothing being "fair", don't even bother going to school, or sit there all day planning their next kegger and laughing at who was more drunk last weekend. The government sinks bullshit amounts of money into these areas that don't need or want the cash, since there is nobody to take advantage of it anyway.

In the end, you're being made to do even more work because the convoluted beauracracy that controls your education, combined with a lack of intelligent money and staff distribution, continually makes choices that do not benefit anybody who needs or even wants the benefit, while leaving those who could actually do something with all of those resources to continue trudging through the "exceptionalism is bad, stay mediocre!" school systems that make the average kids feel right at home, the stupid kids feel OK with being stupid because they'll always pass to the next grade anyway, and those with intelligence levels higher than those of the teachers around them to feel like they aren't even wanted in the system, leaving them to either create their own challenges or drop out. What a nice run-on sentence that was.

I could go on for quite some time on the subject, but basically, we're fucked.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Player1
keyhunter said:
"According to statistics, a well rounded carpenter always has a job, and a well paid one. And that I am."
I was about to ask. It makes sense now. Still, does it not bug you that you are 15 minutes away from getting your degree? That you spent 4 years of your life working on.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Snipzor
Austin said:
"Discorsi said:
"How does that suck? "
Because its not fair we have to do more required crap in school than previous generations."
Actually that is completely untrue. In fact, school standards have dropped significantly over the last 16 years in America, exponentially since the "No Child Left Behind" act. In fact, 120 years ago, to be considered intelligent, you would have to have many skills and many languages. Not just one language and one small understanding of a skill (You would have to have mastered those skills)
If I were you, I would accept the education standards, it might make you smarter.
destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By destro

The world ends in 2012 anyway, so dont worry about it haha. But really, that would suck balls if that prediction is accurate, good thing i live in Canada but i doubt it will be much different.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By AndrewGaspar
Austin said:
"America you need to slow down on this education thing. "
Uh... no. We're so far behind. If anything, they need to ramp up education. Up here in South Dakota, people are better about following through on High School.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By get2sammyb

To follow on from what Hamz said here in the UK university is all laid out for us. We get government backing to go (so long as we got the right A-levels or college merits [which are the 16-18 year old grades]) and the courses all sit there ready to be taken.

The thing is, universities being business' know that lots of kids aspire to and realistically can go to university and thus they have to entice them. Which is where all the stupid degrees come in: drama, art, music, sports psychology, etc. etc. They may sound like rational subjects but when there are 10,000 kids or so (maybe more) all "learning" art every year and graduating -- well what the fuck is the next job? Most of these kids are giving false hope by the universities that their degree is relevant when in reality it's just not. Sure they are legitimate subjects (we could have mentioned the likes of Golf Course Design) but realistically they have no weight in the real world.

People go into their drama degree thinking they're going to end up in Hollywood -- reality is they come out of it £30,000 in debt with a supermarket job.

In most cases experience is key but sadly it's also true that a piece of paper can push you right up the ladder of an office on day one, where a lifetimes dedicated work will move you nowhere.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By atejas

I wonder what would happen to you if you ever applied to an IIT.

KiddSushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KiddSushi

I would also like to add that it will always depend on your career path. If you're something like an artist, then degrees and certificates don't mean much. People go to art school for four years and can't draw shit. It doesn't hurt to have a degree, but at the end of the day, your portfolio is going to be showing off what you can do.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
StaticFalconar said:
"Austin said:
"In the year 2014 the United States Department of Education predicts that 22% of jobs will require ATLEAST a 4 year college degree and 55%of all jobs will require ATLEAST a 2 year associate's degree. As I was reading this I thought.."What is gonna happen to my friends that dropped out in their senior year?" Kids at my highschool are dropping  out like flies.What the hell are they gonna do?

THIS SUCKS!
End Rant/"
Lets take the biggest statistic there. 55% of all jobs will will at least an associate degree.

That 55% includes your plumber, your car mechanic, anything that takes the least amount of skill.

I'm gonna stop myself before I go into a rant, but America is sadly not that high in terms of education compared with the world. We are actually playing catch up. Also, just like our generation gets better technology and better standards of living than our previous generations, we can only keep that up if we work harder or is generally smarter than out previous generation."
plumbing, fixing cars take low skill? lol okay.
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Same thing happened over here, I need 24 credits, the year before us needed 22. The year after us needs 28 and the one after them 30.

The problem is, the most you can get, if you take a full schedule every year, is 28 credits in four years. Which means you have to either trade volunteer or work hours for credits. And it's like 70 volunteer hours for half a credit. And double for paid hours per half a credit.

It's pretty crazy, I wait for the day they announce 8 period days, and school goes an hour longer. Luckily, I'll be in college by then.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Snail

To sum it up: People will have to be more knowledgeable. I see no big disadvantage.

Avatar image for americanpegasus
AmericanPegasus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AmericanPegasus

I don't know why you'd complain about this, it's rather obvious that as the world gets more complicated, jobs are going to require higher education. There used to be a day where you could easily get a good paying job with a high school degree. Now a days, I wouldn't recommend any young person to go into the work force without any college education.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By TheJollyRajah
MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"Same thing happened over here, I need 24 credits, the year before us needed 22. The year after us needs 28 and the one after them 30.

The problem is, the most you can get, if you take a full schedule every year, is 28 credits in four years. Which means you have to either trade volunteer or work hours for credits. And it's like 70 volunteer hours for half a credit. And double for paid hours per half a credit.

It's pretty crazy, I wait for the day they announce 8 period days, and school goes an hour longer. Luckily, I'll be in college by then."
Hopefully, they don't extend school days. I'm not in school anymore, but oh boy, I remember how badly I just wanted to get out by the seventh period. I think there's a limit to how much you could learn in one day. Diminishing returns start to play a role after a certain amount of time. The way it's set up now, it's just pushing the border or is slightly past it. If anything, they should knowk an hour off, and give kids more time to do homework. But even then, some teachers may feel they need to compensate for the shortened day and give out more homework. I guess we'll never win.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Whisperkill

doesnt matter to me, pfft

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By serbsta

Just dont drop out of high school and you'll be fine.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Out_On_Bail

This is inevitable.  Think back 100 years, you didn't need an education at all.  All you needed to know was how to tend to the farm, or whatever the household chores were.   Now fast forward to when schools were started and how the industrial revolution created more demands for specialized people to watch the machines.  Now all of a sudden, back then, some sort of education was required for some jobs.  Now fast forward to the 1970's era, most high school drop-outs went on to work good jobs, but all that was -needed- to have a great job was the standard high school diploma.  Then the 80's hit, where the technology revolution moved at twice the speed of the industrial revolution, if not faster. 

My point is that specialization creates the demand for more jobs.  And given the current condition of the earth, and the "green" mentality that America is taking on, science fields (which means "specialized jobs only") will be high in demand as we try to research more efficient means of energy.  

That's my take on this whole thing.  It's only a matter of time before a Masters Degree is needed for a larger percentage of the jobs its needed now.  Be glad we have an education system in our country, use it and abuse it. 

ToRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ToRo

Topic creator, they've been saying that shit for ages now. It's bullshit every time. I'm the fourth person to finish high school in my family and every family member owns their own house.  Those people are paid to say those things.

Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rivix

The smarter people are and the more specialized they are in their respective field can only be good. Its called hard work.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Karmum

Would you mind providing some links from your original post. Besides, why does it matter? I mean, we're all going to be dead at the end of 2012 -- amirite?

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Qorious

I worry for my future kids.

TheJadeAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheJadeAngel

Don't believe everything you hear ... Scare mongering is a American Hobby .  That being said having a education is no guaruntee for a bright future it just increases the odds that you will find the job you want .  Having looks and Money go a long way as well , either that or a lot of charisma .  Don't get hung up on what may or may not be in the not to distant future just focus on what you can do today that can make a difference in your world .  Everything changes !