Wrestlemania 30...A Culmination of What, Exactly?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I am a moderate, often times ashamed, fan of professional wrestling. I think I fell out sometime around 2004? I know I was done with the soap operas before Cena showed up, but whatever. I got back into wrestling around last summer because of CM Punk and being such a fan of his work. Sadly, 2013 was probably the worst year of his career, performance wise, after going back and looking at all his older matches. Coming back I've seen nothing, literally nothing, but missed opportunities and rehashed (also watered down) versions of the story lines from the attitude era: weirdly supernatural stable, militant stable, bosses not being fair, screw jobs, etc. Some of this stuff is par for the course, but I've never seen a business so absolutely dead set on not giving the fans anything that they want.

Lets start with Daniel Bryan. I like the guy, however not as much as most of the WWE universe. I think he should be in the title run for sure. However, the WWE fails to use in any capacity other than "scrappy underdog who can't take a break". Clearly, they do not want him as WWE champion. The only reason the man is put in title matches is to make money, but they don't want to actually give the fans what they want. Vince and Hunter still think that only body builders and buddies make for good champions. What do we get?Fights against "Corporate Kane"! Scheduled fights against HHH! Oh my! They failed to even include him in the Royal Rumble, only mentioning it in the following Raw because of the insane amount of boos that WWE succeeded in creating. They have effectively ensured that both the heel AND the face involved at Wrestlemania's title shot will be booed...loudly. Compare this to the Attitude Era and the few years that followed. They at least used people like The Rock, Stone Cold, Undertaker, and other fan favorites in roles that were fun and interesting for fans: 2013/2014 WWE doesn't even bother. Bryan would be a member of the Wyatt family had the WWE not quickly ditched the plan, and the feud, like a sack of potatoes at the last minute thanks to the "Yes Movement" bleeding into real sports and the mainstream. Who do they think is the man worthy to go up against Randy Orton for the title at Wrestlemania?

No Caption Provided

Yes, "Boo-tista", as fans have been referring to him for a while. His initial return on Raw was pretty successful ratings wise. Anyone who has a brain knew that they would have Batista win the Royal Rumble, but the fact that Daniel Bryan wasn't even involved in one of the best events of the year (in WWE :p) made the fans sour on anything that didn't involve Bryan. I watched the Rumble and it was highly entertaining, but not for the reasons it was supposed to be. I have never enjoyed watching a match so much in my life because the slow death of the fan's hopes and dreams are evident at every second. I have literally never seen an entire arena so quickly turn on a match in my life. I legitimately felt bad for entrant 30, Rey Mysterio, when he was met with overwhelming boos and chants.

At this point, WWE booking and management have setup Wrestlemania to be a failure. Will it make money? Absolutely. Why? Because the WWE fans do not understand how to vote with their wallet. They think if they complain and if they chant they will somehow give enough devotion to the wrestling gods that they will alter booking and give them something deserving of their money. That or you have people like Dan Ryckert, God bless him, who will more than likely love whatever he watches. I wish I could be that type of fan, but I cannot.

Elimination Chamber 2014...does the WWE make good on the hopes and wishes of the fans? Well, here's a post I made on Facebook before the final match.

No Caption Provided

Definitely one of those predictions where you tell yourself, "I know I'm right...but I pray I am wrong." Granted, I didn't pay for the event, and I am very glad that I did not. My prediction was right and all I could do was simply laugh. The night as a whole was pretty underwhelming, and even the match I did want to see (Wyatts vs Bryans) was laughably bad as well. I feel bad for the WWE Universe at times. One of those times was when the Wyatts sent Seth Rollins through a table and the crowd began chanting, "Holy shit! Holy shit!" over and over. This was previously only reserved for when something actually cool happened, not just an obligatory table smash: this is one of the perfect indicators of where the WWE is now.

The WWE doesn't even care about its non-WWE championship titles. The Tag Team titles are, laughably, in the hands of the New Age Outlaws and they will seemingly be defending the titles at Wrestlemania. Dean Ambrose has been US Champion for...ages. Big E Langston has put some blood into the IC champsionship, but its a throwaway match every time. Women's Champion is...well, who cares really.

Lastly, WWE screwed the fans again by pissing off CM Punk. For the last year, at least, he's been sick, injured, and burned out. He had a real rough 2013 and even when he was placed in a high profile match it felt more obligatory than anything else. Still, he was fun to watch on the mic and even when injured was better in the ring than most in the WWE. For anyone who doesn't know, CM Punk basically "took his ball and went home" (as Stone Cold put it) because of a creative dispute with how Vince wanted to use his character, namely fighting HHH at Wrestlemania and more than likely be buried (HHH doesn't like to lose to people he isn't friends with). Was CM Punk right to do so? Only he knows that. His contract was up in July and he has been on record saying he was thinking of retiring in around 2 years. Bad for the fans but good for Punk are two different things. As a fan, I can say his leaving means I have one less thing to look forward to.

So, at the end of this what do we have? After last night's Raw we have the match that everyone knew was coming: Undertaker vs Brock Lesnar. I hate Brock Lesnar: I think he doesn't care about the business, he has no mic skills, and he's boring to watch in the ring. For the title you have Orton vs Batista, Bryan will fight HHH, Cena will fight Bray Wyatt, and I assume we'll have a triple threat match between The Shield setup at some point in the next few weeks. I am sure it will sell well, but are fans going to show up only to boo? Obviously this is just my perspective, but WWE couldn't even setup the Lesnar/Undertaker match in an interesting way.

In the span of 8 months I went from being excited about getting back into wrestling to wondering how it is even still around. I've yet to purchase a sub to the WWE network and don't know if I even will. If you don't vote with you wallet, how else are you supposed to? Chanting, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" does nothing.

TL;DR, I am sure but that's my two cents on the WWE's current position. However, with the fervor to give WWE money in the WWE Network fans apparently have no intention to vote with their dollars.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

The thing about Bootista is that all this stuff has almost made for more compelling TV than if it was handled right from the beginning.

They found a guy who is more unlikable than the guy who was the most unlikable guy on the roster. And then they had him come out and act like the most beloved guy on the roster, and gave him a spot appropriate for the most beloved guy on the roster. Doesn't that make you want to watch just to marvel at it? The dude managed to get cheers for Del Rio and Randy Orton, the two established guys that the crowd probably likes the least. Orton got a babyface pop when he went to talk shit on Batista. It's amazing to watch.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Undertaker deserves a lot better than Lesnar. Streak is staying intact.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sammo21

@brodehouse: Well, Orton always has a small modicum of cheers when he comes out. Always did, even when going against Bryan. I do think its interesting, but more in a way that shows WWE could have had Batista getting bigger pops had they handled the Rumble like they knew what they were doing.

WWE Network launch is even kind of sad. Hogan comes out and can't even get his lines right. I was wondering how long he would call it the "WWE universe".

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

....of 29 other wrestlemanias?

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

TL;DR, I am sure but that's my two cents on the WWE's current position. However, with the fervor to give WWE money in the WWE Network fans apparently have no intention to vote with their dollars.

This is a very sketchy statement because I voted with my Pound (pound stronger then dollar y'all) after Summerslam 2012 by no longer buying the PPVs and removing my sky subscription in favor of watching an illegal stream and haven't thrown the WWE any money since then.... that was until the network launched and why did I start paying the moment the network launched? Because I want to encourage this business model, it's great value for money even if you hate the current product, however what people can do is ignore the televised product all together and bad booking so ratings are still extremely relevant.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batista would get tired just reading this

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Had CM Punk not left, I wonder what kinda shit match they would have put Bryan in. They can't be serious that they are ignoring how big he is now to push a boring champion in Orton and a guy who just looks old is just as boring in Bootista. And John Cena. Always so damn happy to be there and no remembering that Bray Wyatt cost him the title twice now. Before a face would roam the halls looking for him to beat the crap out of him and get beat down back stage. Now he wants to go out there and smile. That is why Cena goes no where.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk: Yeah, I wonder the same. Cena was rumored to be in a match with Bray Wyatt last month and it was leaked CM Punk would be going against HHH. You think they were going to do Bryan vs Kane originally?

Avatar image for captaincharisma
CaptainCharisma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CaptainCharisma

I was incredibly disappointed with the Rumble's result. But the match itself was good and made Roman look like a star. I was disappointed with the chamber result. But that match was amazing unil the end. Either way we're getting good matches with the shield and Cesaro flirting with the main event. However, Batista shouldn't be where he is now. I have no idea why they decided to put someone so undeserving I the main event. I was ok with him coming back but there's no reason even storyline-wise for Batista vs Orton to main event the 30th wrestlemania. But at this point with the Bryan bait and switching I'm so excited for Batista vs Orton. The crowds gonna crap all over it and will be a spectacle in of itself. It's not how id want to end what should be a heartwarming event to replace the Benoit-Eddie moment we can never be shown.

But if they want to have a horrible end and give a spot to someone who isn't even close to The Rock (which I didn't like but understood his main event spots) the. I'm going to at least enjoy this disaster. Bryan should've been given this spot for sure though. So I guess we have to "deal with it"? Thanks Dave

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@sammo21 said:

@thehbk: Yeah, I wonder the same. Cena was rumored to be in a match with Bray Wyatt last month and it was leaked CM Punk would be going against HHH. You think they were going to do Bryan vs Kane originally?

No, what I had read was they were actually gonna go with Sheamus vs Bryan, since they do have good matches together. You might have noticed that Kane was the one being used to antagonize Punk, he eliminated him during the Rumble. So Bryan just took his spot. I think the one who benefits most from Punk leaving is Cesaro as I think he took Punk's place in the Chamber.