#1 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

I was just wondering if there are any other fiction writers on Giantbomb? I've been writing for about 5 years, and I've kind of hit a rut over the last year. I don't really know any other writers, and because nothing I'm doing in my life pushes me to complete the few writing projects I have going, I'm not getting anything done. It's not so much writers block, but writers apathy. I want to use this skill to make some money (somehow), and I'd like to see if connecting with other writers might help me get back into the swing and maybe we can push each other with a weekly short story exchange or something.

#2 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

I'm a music journalist. I can't help you. Or anyone...for that matter...

#3 Posted by Blackout62 (1337 posts) -

Technically I am? I don't know, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Nothing published, nothing finished, churning through a major in creative writing. Yeah writing fiction is a miserable slog of a constant attempt to try and drive yourself to do something you don't have a feel for. It's a shame since if my GPA, and the praise I've gotten is any indication I am in fact a bitchen' writer.

And damn does that make me sound like a whiny piece of shit.

#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I want to be a writer, but I haven't put forth much effort to write a story.

#5 Posted by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

@Blackout62 said:

Technically I am? I don't know, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. Nothing published, nothing finished

Pretty much that

#6 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

I write quite a bit, finished a movie script not too long ago, working on another one, one day I'll probably write what the kids call an actual novel!

#7 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

I'd like to write something, but I've never finished any substantial project like that.

#8 Posted by Fallen189 (4986 posts) -

Yeah. 

Maybe you could post something you've written so we can give you some friendly critique?

#9 Posted by Hunter5024 (5612 posts) -

I have been writing since I was 11 or so. I finished like 4 novels when I was a teenager but as an adult I've been too busy to keep up with it aside from a short story here and there. I have two bigger novel type stories that have been clunking around the old noggin for the past year or so, where I'm fleshing out the world and characters and plot in my head. I've been writing blogs on here to sort of keep my writing muscles flexed while I wait until I have enough time to commit to the other stuff, so maybe try that out?

#10 Posted by DivineShadow777 (106 posts) -

I want to be a writer I don't know I'm in High School and all the bullshit they put us through is really killing my drive. I signed up to take the English regents a year early with 47 of "The BEST English Softmores" They all had averages of above 90 and we were told we had to get a 95 or above to go to AP English. Half of THE BEST failed to reach that mark but I did. With a 72 Average.

The School System is incredibly stupid and I wonder what a college will think when they see this on my resume or whatever. Probably that I am a cheating Scumbag.

Also when my kids go to school please make it a time where they aren't forced to read books they don't like. Or read Romeo & Juliet for the 8th time seriously I read it last year for the 8th Time since I started in the school system.

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
Yeah.  Maybe you could post something you've written so we can give you some friendly critique?
What he said, I'm willing to help a fellow writer out!
#12 Posted by Athadam (686 posts) -

@DivineShadow777 said:

I want to be a writer I don't know I'm in High School and all the bullshit they put us through is really killing my drive. I signed up to take the English regents a year early with 47 of "The BEST English Softmores" They all had averages of above 90 and we were told we had to get a 95 or above to go to AP English. Half of THE BEST failed to reach that mark but I did. With a 72 Average.

The School System is incredibly stupid and I wonder what a college will think when they see this on my resume or whatever. Probably that I am a cheating Scumbag.

Also when my kids go to school please make it a time where they aren't forced to read books they don't like. Or read Romeo & Juliet for the 8th time seriously I read it last year for the 8th Time since I started in the school system.

Don't worry about college, they won't suspect you of cheating if you didn't. Only your highschool can tell the colleges if you cheated or not. Also, take as many AP classes as you can, colleges love it. If you seriously want to get into writing, work on your grammar a bit more. Although you probably didn't take your post seriously, it has a few run-ons, spelling mistakes, and sentences without commas. This stuff should be absolutely natural to a writer. Well, at least in my opinion it does.

#13 Posted by Athadam (686 posts) -

I've always wanted to be a writer but I don't think I can do it. I missed out on taking AP English during highschool and it was one of the worst mistakes I've made. Now I'm in college and many of my friends are absolutely talented writers and I'm late to the game.

#14 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Just write. Write constantly. Write in notebooks, on scraps of paper, napkins, your skin, or anything else you have. Writing is the best way to improve your writing and anything you write down could grow into a story. Stories don't have to be a certain length, so don't worry about finding an idea with enough substance to fill a novel. You can do almost anything else while you write, so don't let yourself fall into the "I don't have time" trap. Just fucking write. Eventually one of the sparks will catch and will become a fire. Reading work by great writers can also be beneficial, and you can even write while you do that! Personally, I hate reading work by bad writers (particularly work by other students who have aspirations of being writers), but for some people that can be beneficial as well.

#15 Posted by DivineShadow777 (106 posts) -

@Castermhief117: Nah to be honest my grammar really is that shitty. The only reason I did well on my Regents was that whenever I take a test I can sort of focus for 5 minutes at a time and get at least 2 paragraphs done. To be honest I more of a thinker then a writer which is why my grammar is shit because my fingers will never be able to catch up with the thoughts in my head since my brain is always 3 pages ahead. I'm stuck wasting time in Egypt right now and I literally have just gotten three whole new writing ideas. Like about a doctor who can delve into peoples minds when they are in a comma and the only way to heal them and wake them up is to solve there problems and give them something to live for again. I'm really just an idea man.

#16 Posted by Athadam (686 posts) -

@DivineShadow777 said:

@Castermhief117: Nah to be honest my grammar really is that shitty. The only reason I did well on my Regents was that whenever I take a test I can sort of focus for 5 minutes at a time and get at least 2 paragraphs done. To be honest I more of a thinker then a writer which is why my grammar is shit because my fingers will never be able to catch up with the thoughts in my head since my brain is always 3 pages ahead. I'm stuck wasting time in Egypt right now and I literally have just gotten three whole new writing ideas. Like about a doctor who can delve into peoples minds when they are in a comma and the only way to heal them and wake them up is to solve there problems and give them something to live for again. I'm really just an idea man.

That's way better. Being an idea man is a talent. You can always learn grammar later.

#17 Edited by adam1808 (1448 posts) -

Write some stuff and I will give critique because I probably have no advice to give until I read some of your work. All constructive stuff mind you

#18 Posted by DivineShadow777 (106 posts) -

@Castermhief117: You sound like a man talking from experience. However if you really are surrounded by writing friends as talented as you say all you have to do is beat them at their own game one by one then you will be the next bestseller. That's how I live life.

#19 Posted by Mechanical_Ape (251 posts) -

I have had a few short stories published. I've also finished two novels in the last year, although I have yet to submit them to agents since I don't feel they are quite up to par just yet. Hopefully I'll manage to get them into a form I'm happy with soon so I can start shopping them around.

While schooling and education can be very helpful to become a writer, I feel that there are two things that are vastly more important - writing and reading. Write something everyday. Don't worry about whether it's good or whether you like it, just write something. Also try to challenge yourself by writing things you don't normally write. I have countless stories and scenes on my computer that I'll probably never use, but writing them was good practice for me. There aren't necessarily any rules or secrets to writing, it's simply just a matter of learning by doing.

Second, make sure you read. Read a lot. Read everything you can get your hands on. Try to read as many different types of books as well. The more you can expose yourself to the more you will learn. Over time you'll begin to get a feel for what works in a story and what doesn't and you'll find yourself incorporating that into your work without even realizing it.

Most importantly, writing takes a surprising amount of focus and diligence. It is so easy to get distracted, particularly if you write on a computer and have access to the internet. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've wasted prime writing time by letting myself get distracted. I'm stubborn as hell, so I usually set goals for myself everyday and force myself to meet those goals no matter how difficult it is or how much time it takes me. A friend of mine, who is a published author herself, uses something called Stayfocused. It's a browser plugin that you can set up to keep yourself from being able to use the internet and focus on whatever you're doing. There's also a website called Write or Die that does something similar.

And prepare for rejection. Lots of rejection! Don't take it personally either. It has happened to every writer and it's just part of what it means to be a writer.

#20 Posted by Brodehouse (9859 posts) -

I used to want to be a professional writer until I realized that doing anything for money instead of enjoyment ruins it. I used to write prose, then right at my college years I focused on screenplays. I finished 4-5, with two dozen in various stages of completion. One of them I still think is great, a very funny and well drawn script.

Then I discovered tabletop games and my writing habits have switched there. I run games with a lot of intrigue, a lot of competing factions and characters with agendas, hidden agendas, so on. My last game had well over 100 characters, probably closer to 150. Since then I've been playing in a friends game and my writing habits have switched over to treatments for various game ideas, tabletop and video game. One is a mix of Civilization and a BioWare roleplaying game in a strange world, another is a future dystopian thing based on a TED talk about how DNA sequencing is going to change society.

I'm sure I could put the effort in to do this professionally, but I really wouldn't want to. I enjoy writing for my current audience, my 5-6 friends. If that audience becomes 500, or 500,000, it doesn't make me any happier, in fact it would probably make me less.

#21 Posted by Willza92 (262 posts) -

The right of the writer: Thou shalt write and thou shalt rewrite. Writers write. If you write you are a writer. That's my philosophy. There really isn't much we can do except look over your current work and offer critique. It's up to you and only you if you want to label yourself a writer (and frankly I'm a little tired of people who do and don't write that much OR say they wan't to be a writer but *insert reason here*) Like said, just write and no one can say you're not a writer.

Sorry for that rant, just had to get that off my chest. Good luck with your writing :)

#22 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -
@DivineShadow777 said:

@Castermhief117: Like about a doctor who can delve into peoples minds when they are in a comma and the only way to heal them and wake them up is to solve there problems and give them something to live for again. I'm really just an idea man.

That's a pretty cool idea. I once wrote a story about a TV addict scientist who got bored of the TV schedule so he kidnapped interesting people (celebrities, presidents, ect), put them into a coma and connected their brains to a TV so he could watch their memories. It was pretty rad but I don't have it anymore because I wrote it during IT lessons at school and forgot to save it ;_;
#23 Edited by DivineShadow777 (106 posts) -

@Sploder: So why don't you start it again but with a twist. Instead of tv expand into the Internet let us see the childhood of Brad Shoemaker!

#24 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -
@DivineShadow777 said:

@Sploder: So what don't you start it again but with a twist. Instead of tv expand into the Internet let us see the childhood of Brad Shoemaker!

You maybe onto something there. Maybe each day of his life corresponds to a level in Super Mario Bros 3 and each boss level represents a struggle Brad had to overcome as a child (i.e: bullying and a first crush). The way it ties into the internet is from Brad watching a playthrough of SMB3 on Youtube and remembering all the memories. I'll totally cut you in on the profits of this, brb kickstarter time.
#25 Edited by DivineShadow777 (106 posts) -

@Sploder said:

@DivineShadow777 said:

@Sploder: So what don't you start it again but with a twist. Instead of tv expand into the Internet let us see the childhood of Brad Shoemaker!

You maybe onto something there. Maybe each day of his life corresponds to a level in Super Mario Bros 3 and each boss level represents a struggle Brad had to overcome as a child (i.e: bullying and a first crush)..

I see where this is going!

Truly Love at First Sight Brad's First High School Sweetheart Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

#26 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Here's what I do to motivate myself.

I look at the page and say "fuck you page, I'm gonna put some goddamn words on you!"

And it doesn't respond.

So I do, because fuck it what the hell else am I doing with my time.

#27 Posted by believer258 (11794 posts) -

Off and on.

Sometimes I get an idea and put something down, then I forget completely. I never finish much, though.

Have you tried doing only some short stories?

#28 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

God. Yeah, I used to be very ambitious about my writing, got to a point where I had a pretty damn good break too and almost certainly could have used it to spring into a career. But life intervened and kind of mucked it all up. I've grown disillusioned with it over the last few years, which has been hard because it wasn't just a career goal. Real writers have something to say, a passion for it. They don't just write for work, they need it. So it's been a real loss. I feel like part of me has died, which, practically speaking, it has. I haven't finished a creative piece in six or seven years, haven't even started one in maybe 3 or 4.

Which leads me to career plan B: failed writer = college professor. Where to go if you fucked it all up in the real world? College, of course. Be a professional bullshitter. So I'm just saying fuck it and working on my master's. But I hope you can stick with it. It's a blessing and a curse, this writing thing.

#29 Edited by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I started this novel last October, and got to 65k words in two weeks, with a 100% college course load. Since then, I've only added another 10k. And it's not block. I know where the plot goes and how to go there. It's just pure laziness.

#30 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -
@DivineShadow777 said:

@Sploder said:

@DivineShadow777 said:

You maybe onto something there. Maybe each day of his life corresponds to a level in Super Mario Bros 3 and each boss level represents a struggle Brad had to overcome as a child (i.e: bullying and a first crush)..

Truly Love at First Sight Brad's First High School Sweetheart Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I'm just gonna turn it into a visual novel and make that the title. Or Shoemaker Shoujo.
#31 Edited by DivineShadow777 (106 posts) -

@Sploder: Make it a visual Novel game and an exclusive launch title for the Ouya I'm sure that will make it sell like hotcakes.

#32 Posted by BaneFireLord (2922 posts) -

I've been writing for a very long time, probably close to thirteen years. I got my start with Lego fan fiction when I was about five (seriously: Lego fan fiction). I've never managed to publish anything (unless you count some poems in Ranger Rick and Highlights when I was far younger), but I haven't really tried that hard. Unlike some people in this thread (@brodehouse), I'm far better at writing and having fun in a professional situation (that is to say, when there is an incentive to produce something, be it a contest prize or a good grade or what have you) than when I'm given free reign. I've noticed that all of my "passion projects" (save my current attempt at a novel, which I am having a blast with and, provided I finish it, might be publishable) tend to fizzle out and go downhill quickly, while my work involving a deadline is usually of much higher quality.  I also, ironically, am far better at writing poetry, realistic fiction and purple-prosy nonsense (all things I absolutely hate to read) than I am at writing action sequences and fantasy. 

Also, a tangential word of advice to everyone writing: "tears in the writer equals tears in the reader" is a load of bullshit. I completed a story about a guy who inadvertently kills his girlfriend and then attempts suicide (a story which later won the top prize at a state competition and made everyone from my mother to my female friends to the state judges sob) while watching the LittleBigPlanet Quick Look on a separate monitor and giggling with delight at the little Sackpeople running around. 

#33 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I'm a writer, have my first published story releasing in September, and a couple more due out after that.

I don't know that I can commit to a regular story exchange, but I'd be happy to talk about wrifing and provide feedback where I can

#34 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

I'm a writer, have my first published story releasing in September, and a couple more due out after that.

Cool, man. Do you have an agent?

#35 Posted by Daneian (1228 posts) -

@Inkerman: I've been working on an internet series almost completely solo for the last five years and I understand writers apathy. It's incredibly difficult to build content that's necessary for the overall piece but you don't really have much interest in. Remember that while some stories will come extremely easy to you and your pen will fly across the page without you even thinking about it, many will be a struggle. I have spent weeks on a single scene before. That's a part of the process.

The nature of my project makes it hard to regularly show progress, but I don't mind exchanging ideas and reading what you've got.

What genres are you most interested in? What themes do you wish to explore? What types of characters?

I like to find pictures that inspire or energize me. Go find a stylish tumblr blog, an artist or fashion you like. I used to pick up Juxtapoz magazine and just get ideas. The episode I'm working on now is about space travel, so am looking to Jacques Cousteau as an inspiration. DON'T EXIST IN A VACUUM WITH YOUR WRITING. You'll get consumed and only spin your wheels.

#36 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I'm a real writer, I write books for a living. I wrote five books that have been released in Quebec, Canada ( French, sorry ) titled '' Les Chroniques de Victor Pelham ''. It's steampunk. I also have a whole new series coming. Two first books are being printed at the same time.

#37 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

Join a book club with hot women.

#38 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -
@DivineShadow777 said:

@Sploder: Make it a visual Novel game and an exclusive launch title for the Ouya I'm sure that will make it sell like hotcakes.

Hell, someone has to sell the Ouya. May as well be me.
#39 Posted by Butler (384 posts) -

Advice:

roll the dice

if you’re going to try, go all the

way.

otherwise, don’t even start.

if you’re going to try, go all the

way.

this could mean losing girlfriends,

wives, relatives, jobs and

maybe your mind.

go all the way.

it could mean not eating for 3 or 4 days.

it could mean freezing on a

park bench.

it could mean jail,

it could mean derision,

mockery,

isolation.

isolation is the gift,

all the others are a test of your

endurance, of

how much you really want to

do it.

and you’ll do it

despite rejection and the worst odds

and it will be better than

anything else

you can imagine.

if you’re going to try,

go all the way.

there is no other feeling like

that.

you will be alone with the gods

and the nights will flame with

fire.

do it, do it, do it.

do it.

all the way

all the way.

you will ride life straight to

perfect laughter, its

the only good fight

there is.

- Charles Bukowski

#40 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@buzz_killington

@Tim_the_Corsair said:

Cool, man. Do you have an agent?

No I don't, but I'm planning on approaching one when I have a novel ready to go; I know plenty of people who have been published without, especially with the prevalence of open submission windows with many publishers.
#41 Posted by guiseppe (2840 posts) -

I write in my blog, but that's pretty much it. I've been thinking about putting my writing skills to the test by writing a real story though. Tons of ideas, bits and pieces everywhere, but I haven't actually started yet.

#42 Edited by Everyones_A_Critic (6296 posts) -

I can totally relate to what you're going through. I find an idea, get really enthused about it, then put it down when I'm a quarter of the way through. It's like ADD or some shit, but I can't swallow my pride and cop out for the Adderall prescription. Shit sucks.

EDIT: If I ever made a million off of something I wrote I'd invest it accordingly so that I'd never have to work again, then literally would never write another thing again. That's how lazy I am.

#43 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

I've been working on book for the part 3 months

#44 Posted by notdavid (837 posts) -

I write a lot, but I always get bored if I'm on a single story for too long. So far, I only have two half-assed published short stories resting on a mass grave of unfinished novels.

#45 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2025 posts) -

@Sploder said:

@DivineShadow777 said:

@Sploder said:

@DivineShadow777 said:

I'm just gonna turn it into a visual novel and make that the title. Or Shoemaker Shoujo.

Considering there's actually a Flight Club text adventure game, I can truly get behind a Brad Shoemaker visual novel, provided there are many, good bad ends involving him dying, as it would accurately reflect the Brad Shoemaker experience!

Back on the topic of writing, I feel half embarrassed to admit I actually used to write on fanfiction.net a little bit. My two fan fics there are for Ace Combat, because for some reason I used to be so into writing military fiction and the Ace Combat universe pretty much lent itself to that kind of stuff.

Otherwise, I like to blog a lot, but I find it hard to find time to blog consistently. I'm trying it here as something to do on the side but I've only recently gotten back from a month of being off the radar so my last blog wasn't for a while.