• 68 results
#1 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -

I'm one of those guys who love looking back at something I've written, and think "Man, writing is awesome!" Unfortunately, I've always found the physical act of writing to be, at times, tedious. My apartment has, putting it kindly, alot of distractions. I'm talking about things like noise, being constantly pestered, and generally being in an environment that is not conducive to good writing. The tedium comes from, at least I think it comes from, my frustration from all these distractions. A friend made the suggestion that maybe I should try listening to music while I'm writing. I've never tried it. I didn't even try it to write this. So my fellow bombers, I ask you humbly, which music, if any, do you listen to when writing? Does it actually help? If not, what suggestions do you have for someone who is forced to write in an environment like mine. Thanks.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'd recommend it, but don't listen to something with lyrics. You'll end up focusing on the lyrics, instead, and honestly, what's a better way to spend time: writing a blog about Mary Kate & Ashley or wondering who the 一番の姫さま is.

#3 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

Classical all the way. Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Ludovico Einaudi and Bach are all stellar. Contemporary music triggers my ADD or something, can't get shit done when I listen to it

#4 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Movie or Game scores help a lot, anything without lyrics, or perhaps with lyrics and just can phase into the background, and sets a mood.

Though honestly, as someone who does a lot of writing, those distractions ain't your main problem. The distractions themselves never are. Obviously, do what you can to minimize people pestering you and noise and whatnot, but when it comes down to writing something meaningful, we as humans are excellent procrastinators. Distractions are just that, in the mind, and obviously if they can be avoided simply, this is best, but getting hung up on trying to improve your environment means you're not writing! Music can be a great help with that, especially without lyrics, but if you find the act of writing tedious (as I can do many a time, it does get tedious) there's really no musical or sensory solution besides just working through it, and forcing yourself to, otherwise you lose your flow, and it takes ages to get that back up.

But yes, Music can be good, but if you want to write, just do it. Don't let shit stop you, my friend!

#5 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -

@wmaustin55: Any particular compositions to recommend, my good man?

#6 Posted by wewantsthering (1564 posts) -

I've found that it's good to have a little warm up mix, but when it comes to time to actually start writing, music can also be distracting. I struggle with the same thing because it's really hard to find a time/place that's quite enough.

#7 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Classical, or any instrumental for that matter. I recommend lots of Rush. Red Hot Chilli Peppers also works, because while they have lyrics, they're fucking mental, so they wont distract you or anything.

#8 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -

@Tylea002: You're absolutely right. A little PMA, with a dash of willpower, make all the difference in the world. I couldn't tell you the amount of times I've been in the middle of writing something, or outlining what I wanted to write, only to end up finding some reason to stop if even for a moment. Getting back on that horse can be Herculean sometimes. Your right though, I'm projecting my flaws outwardly. What movie/game scores light up your creative juices, my friend?

#9 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Put in the idea into your head that... It's Bussiness Time.

#10 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -
@High_Nunez Well Ludovico Einaudi is the only modern guy I listed. You HAVE to listen to Nuvole Bianche. One of my favorite pieces of any type of music. Period. 

As for the others --
Bach- Cello suite no. 1 in G major. 
Tchaikovsky - swan lake and nutcracker.
Chopin - any of his Nocturnes and sonatas. 

Actually your best bet for the older guys are their "Through the Ages" or "Best of" albums. They'll have all of those and more, I'm sure. Hope you enjoy, Duder 
#11 Edited by donfonzie (206 posts) -

Well it varies from person to person, but i myself listen to music when i write and it definitely helps with any distractions and somehow gets the cogs in my brain turning. But the music depends on my mood a lot so I would suggest something that you find soothing or helps you get charged up. If you find yourself distracted by the lyrics then i would suggest the same as wmaustin55 i.e classical music. Good luck with the writing.

#12 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I prefer film and video game scores, though classical music would probably good as well.

#13 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@High_Nunez: Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night album more specifically

#14 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I have an entire Pandora station set up and perfectly tuned with dubstep and Mozart. Its great.

#15 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I used to listen to music at college to drown out the morons talking loudly about Call of Duty all the fucking time.

#16 Edited by Melvargh (489 posts) -

Depends on what you're writing. I find whatever I'm listening to definitely influences the tone of my writing, so I put something on that gives off the vibe I want. I was writing something that was rather dark, so I put Opeth's Ghost Reveries on and the ideas started flowing. Reached a point where the feel needed to be spacey, ethereal, and vibrant, so I threw on some ambient space music like Steve Roach or Michael Sterns.

I'm speaking entirely of creative writing though, like short stories, poems, and lyrics.

I don't really have specific recommendations, sorry about that.

EDIT: I speak from the mind in flow, however. Getting into that flow can be frustrating, but just keep listening to music, watching movies, reading books, and doing things you love; inspiration strikes at anytime. Also, always carry a pad and paper, because you never know where it's gonna hit.

#17 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

Put in the idea into your head that... It's Bussiness Time.

Smiling ear-to-ear, brother. Thank you.

#18 Posted by Skyfire543 (675 posts) -

I'm not a writer but I do have the same problem for when I draw, and I do listen to music to cope with it. I usually listen to film or game scores, in particular scores from games and films I draw inspiration from. The music doesn't just help me deal with the distractions, it gives me a little creative boost because I'm reminded of what inspires me to do what I set out to do.

#19 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

I can listen to really lyric-heavy stuff myself and write without any problem. However singing while writing makes for the most awkward texts ever. Don't write essays like that.

#20 Posted by RockAction (377 posts) -

Stones usually do it for me

#21 Posted by notdavid (836 posts) -

I always listen to music that fits the mood of whatever I'm writing. For my current project, that's Pansy Division. For my last one, it was Radiohead.

#22 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Depends if you can focus on the writing and not the lyrics. If not, use instrumental stuff, or orchestral music. I also find that soundtrack music works wonders for me. Especially the Doctor Who soundtrack.

#23 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Music while writing can be a fickle bitch, man.

When I was working on my screenplay/thing/not sure what it is, I was listening to deadmau5's 4x4=12. That was the only album. I need things that will keep my pace going, so I can't listen to something that is "in the mood". I need something that makes me move my foot and keeps me going.

However, there are times when I just need a clear head, and music can be too much noise.

It's really something to play by ear. Nonetheless, when I do choose to listen to music, it is typically a lot of dance/trance/trip hop/DnB. The funny thing is that the stuff I write is typically pretty somber, sullen, or downright depressing in mood (at least for that thing it was).

#24 Posted by SniperXan (223 posts) -

I find most music to me more distracting while doing anything, but as of late I have found an album by "Mewithoutyou" called "Catch for Us the Foxes" that is fantastic background music for a productive work day.

#25 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -

@Skyfire543: I tend to listen to music that's evocative, at least for me, of whatever kind of imagery, and atmosphere strikes my fancy at the time. Sometimes it gets so vivid, I wish I was adept at drawing. Awesome that you are, duder! What kind of artwork are you into at the moment, if you don't my asking?

#26 Posted by wemibelec90 (1610 posts) -

I just listen to my Pandora stuff when I write. It usually works out. Sometimes, I listen to my music instead but it just depends.

When it comes to my first draft, I never have any problems listening to lyrical music and writing at the same time. My brain tends to be good at not focusing on the lyrics. The point is just to get words down on the page and I can look for mistakes later. On edits and later drafts, it all depends on how focused I am that day.

#27 Posted by Skyfire543 (675 posts) -

@High_Nunez: I really like architecture. The art aspect of it, of course. I'm not to adept at math. I'm also into the landscape paintings of Tom Thomson and the Group of Seven, even though that seems kind of cliché for a Canadian.

Animation has always interested me as well. It doesn't matter if it's an anime or something like Adventure Time, I just like looking at the characters and seeing how cool some of the art can get.

#28 Posted by mlarrabee (2910 posts) -

It varies, completely dependent on what I'm writing.

Explosions in the Sky

Dvorak

#29 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I'd recommend it, but don't listen to something with lyrics. You'll end up focusing on the lyrics, instead, and honestly, what's a better way to spend time: writing a blog about Mary Kate & Ashley or wondering who the 一番の姫さま is.

I kind of agree with this, unless they're lyrics in a language you don't understand, at which point they just become another instrument. Although a lot of trance music has lyrics that are nonsensical or repetitive enough to not really worry about, either.

My personal favorite writing music is trance and D&B. Pendulum and Infected Mushroom stuff generally works well for me (disclaimer: what works for me may not necessarily work for anyone else). Sometimes I'll just put on a random A State of Trance episode and that does the job.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@PixelPrinny:

Eh, not entirely. I'm shit at Japanese (and I'm certain I've made this clear many times before), yet while listening to a Japanese song, I still tend to focus on the lyrics. Keep in mind I don't understand 80% of the words flying my way.

#31 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@PixelPrinny:

Eh, not entirely. I'm shit at Japanese (and I'm certain I've made this clear many times before), yet while listening to a Japanese song, I still tend to focus on the lyrics. Keep in mind I don't understand 80% of the words flying my way.

Well that's just because you're a Lunarian.

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@PixelPrinny:

#33 Edited by EthanielRain (798 posts) -

I wouldn't recommend listening to music with vocals, as the lyrics may influence your own words. I find classical/instrumental music helps a lot.

#34 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: So you're Kenji...? Well that explains a lot, then.

#35 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@PixelPrinny:

I can become Kenji when I want to. I thought you knew that by now.

#36 Posted by DillonWerner (1526 posts) -

I listen to instrumental music only when I'm writing, but if I'm doing math then I listen to lyrical music.

#37 Posted by Jeust (10538 posts) -

When I decide to write listening to music, I choose one that fits what I'm writting.

But I prefer writing outdoors mostly, in some quiet place I stop by.

#38 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

@wmaustin55 said:

Classical all the way. Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Ludovico Einaudi and Bach are all stellar. Contemporary music triggers my ADD or something, can't get shit done when I listen to it

Is minimalist, not classical, and very much still alive, as opposed to the others you listed. I don't mean to be an ass, I'm just saying.

Anyway, this^. Find some music, any music, that doesn't have lyrics and whose beat doesn't particularly draw you in. Classical/minimalist/baroque/etc works pretty well.

#39 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: The very idea that you would -want- to become Kenji explains a lot.

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@PixelPrinny:

What? You're saying I shouldn't want to become one of the crazier characters of video gamedom? But you've no idea how fun it is to transform into random video game characters by your random will.

#41 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: If you want crazy, you could at least transform into Kefka.

#42 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@PixelPrinny:

I played that bastard out quite a while ago, though.

#43 Posted by High_Nunez (218 posts) -

@Jeust: Hmmm, that seems like it's worth a try.

#44 Posted by Tesla (1917 posts) -

I usually go with video game or film soundtracks, electronica, jazz, classical. Like many others have said...anything without lyrics.

The Tron Legacy soundtrack is perfect for this.

#45 Posted by Jeust (10538 posts) -

@High_Nunez said:

@Jeust: Hmmm, that seems like it's worth a try.

Try it!

#46 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

I find ambient, jazz, post-rock, and classical music to be pretty good for writing. Anything without lyrics is not distracting for me.

#47 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Listening to The Weeknd actually really gets my creative juices flowing.  

#48 Posted by hawkinson76 (359 posts) -

As others have said, no lyrics, or at least no lyrics I can understand, too distracting, and my favorite music is very lyrical (e.g. Rap, Tom Waits). I found Rock en Espaniol very effective, the genre of music is familiar (having gone to high school in the 90s), but the songs were new to me. When rock band came around, I bought every Juanes song they offered. I still don't know what he is saying, but I dig it.

#49 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (314 posts) -
#50 Posted by MachoFantastico (4588 posts) -

Finding I can't write well when listening to music with lyrics in, find it mixes with my mind to much if that makes any sense.  

Classical music or soundtracks are best suited for me.