• 68 results
#51 Posted by psicode (3 posts) -

When I write, unless I'm looking for a particular mood, it's either movie or game soundtracks. If I'm designing anything goes.

When I'm writing music and lyrics, the music usually sorts itself out.

#52 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I can never do this, some people can even listen to music while reading, those people are MAGIC.

#53 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2418 posts) -

Storm Eagle's theme gets me pumped for whatever I do, including writing. Otherwise I can't stand noise of any kind when I'm writing.

#54 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

@High_Nunez: I generally don't listen to music when I write (although I have exactly the same problem you do, and I find I'm my most creative when I listen to music, just I can't type as fast as I think), however this sometimes gets me in the mood;

#55 Posted by Bigbombomb (677 posts) -

I rarely listen to music while I am writing, but when I do it has to have little to no lyrics. I noticed that when I actually do put some music on while writing I listen to the Drive soundtrack:

I also put on some film or game scores (Tron: Legacy, Portal 2) or anything else ambient or soothing (Boards of Canada).

#56 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4308 posts) -

I thought you were talking about writing lyrics....

#57 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@High_Nunez: The Mass Effect score can be great, lately got quite into the Avengers and Prometheus scoree, there's literally thousands of them. It does shape the mood of what you're writing, though, so The Benny Hill theme will not work for a melancholy piece, obviously.

#58 Posted by Stonyman65 (2725 posts) -

I love instrumental guitar - I'd check out anything by Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Ethan Brosh. Angel Vivialdi, John Petrucci, Mike Martin, Liquid Tension Experiment, Andy James, and George Lynch. That has everything covered from Jazz, Blues, Rock, Metal, Djent, Fusion, and Classical.

#59 Posted by WMWA (1162 posts) -
@believer258 Yeah, I made that clarification in my other post. Thanks for the heads up
#60 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@High_Nunez: Ludovico Einaudi will get those creative juices flowing. Piano, no lyrics.

#61 Posted by BananaHead (11 posts) -

I usually listen to Eye of the Tiger a couple of times, and then something from Croatian,Bosnian or Serb band/singers.

#62 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

When writing articles for the wiki I like to listen to the music from the game I'm writing on.

#63 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (681 posts) -

Yeah, I do it, but as these other people said it's VERY hard to write while listening to music with lyrics. So you're best bet is to go with classical music. I actually listen to a lot of SIGUR ROS actually because while it does have "lyrics", it's in Icelandic and so ethereal that you tend not to focus on what's being said.

#64 Edited by theguy (796 posts) -

Pinback

Or Mogwai

Skip to like 0:30 for an idea on the second one.

EDIT: Also classical music. Chopin and Debussy are my favourite. Try youtube for their piano solos.

EDIT 2: I keep thinking of more. Ludovico Einaudi (Which has been said) and Yann Tiersen. Yann Tiersen is probably my favourite artist and his music is perfect for writing.

#65 Posted by Megasoum (354 posts) -

The Tron Legacy soundtrack is really good when I'm coding.

#66 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I usually start with music but pause it the moment I get to anything that requires careful thought.

#67 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6301 posts) -

I put on whatever music best fits whatever I'm writing. If I'm doing an essay or something it could really be anything, but if I'm doing a fiction piece I'll write to music that reflects the subject matter of that piece.

#68 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@High_Nunez:

I'm a hobby-writer and have similar issues. I get the best ideas either while working or while lying in bed. So I suggest you get some mobile devices you can take with you, from a simple pen and paper to a tablet pc or dictation machine, whatever you prefer :)

Listening to music is a distraction, in my opinion, too.