• 51 results
#1 Posted by Walreese55 (508 posts) -

I really dug that dude back at Gamespot and From The Bleachers. I remember after he got laid off he started to write for Bitmob but after that I haven't seen him anywhere and any google search of his name brings up some dude in Connecticut who's a rapist

#2 Posted by Mb246 (70 posts) -

he's a rapist now, and moved to Connecticut.

#3 Posted by Aronman789 (2682 posts) -

That seems like it would be a pretty common name. 
Try googling harder.

#4 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
@Mb246 said:

#5 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

@Mb246 said:

i lol'd.

#6 Posted by SpacePenguin (479 posts) -

Oh ye I remember that guy, he was pretty funny. I had actauly forgot about him until I saw this thread.

#7 Posted by ajamafalous (12029 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Mb246 said:

Lol'd

#8 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -
#9 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Mb246 said:

+1 lol
#10 Posted by Deathdealer108 (293 posts) -
@crusader8463: That sketch looks convincing a little, but the eyes are different.
#11 Posted by damswedon (3196 posts) -

He did some stuff for Bitmob a while back.

I haven't kept up with that site for about a year now. He might be there still.

#12 Posted by Walreese55 (508 posts) -

@damswedon: Nah I started wondering because he doesn't write for the site any more

#13 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

I never liked the guy, mainly because he wrote a review of Ratchet and Clank criticizing it for having too many game mechanics. In a platformer.

#14 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

@Red said:

I never liked the guy, mainly because he wrote a review of Ratchet and Clank criticizing it for having too many game mechanics. In a platformer.

But he was also a regular on the "From the Bleachers" podcast, featuring Brian Ekberg and Shankar Srinivasan. Best. Thing. Ever. Clearly makes up for one silly review.

#15 Posted by Dalai (7040 posts) -

Aaron Thomas was okay I guess, but Vinny Caravella will always be my favorite rapist.

#16 Posted by Milkman (16999 posts) -

Used to work at Bitmob. No idea what he's doing now.

#17 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
@StaticFalconar said:
@ajamafalous said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Mb246 said:

+1 lol
Best first reply ever
#18 Posted by AaronThomas (17 posts) -

@brainboy77 said:

I really dug that dude back at Gamespot and From The Bleachers. I remember after he got laid off he started to write for Bitmob but after that I haven't seen him anywhere and any google search of his name brings up some dude in Connecticut who's a rapist

I am pleased to say that I am not a rapist in Connecticut or any other state, commonwealth, territory, or country. I wrote for Bitmob for a few years and freelanced for EGM and GamePro at the same time. I was also an associate producer on Backbreaker, which was quite an interesting experience. I learned a lot, but the final product was not what I had hoped it would be. I did my best, though.

The rumors you hear about freelance pay being pathetic are true and Bitmob wasn't generating much money, so I decided to head out into the "real" world. I worked as a contractor at Google with the team from Slide (former GameSpotters Don and Bethany worked there). While I enjoyed it immensely, the uncertainty caused by three month contracts wasn't the ideal sitiation for me.

Since July of 2011 I have been working at SCEA (PlayStation) as a Content Producer. I write the help center content on the PlayStation website, and I also write internal knowledge articles for our phone agents. I enjoy it because I'm still writing, using my knowledge of games, and work with cool people. It has allowed me to take a break from giving my opinions on games, so now I can play games just for fun, which is important because I ten years of reviewing games really wore me out.

So that's about it. I still keep in touch with the From the Bleachers crew (Ekberg and Shanker), and we're kicking around the idea of some sort of podcast. Those of you who remember Shanker will be pleased to know he's still... Shanker.

#19 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Oh you were on Backbreaker? Man I had some hopes for that game, and I really hate football. It seemed to be ahead of its time (console wise) and another victim of EA's NFL exclusivity. Is NaturalMotion even doing games still, or is their focus back on middleware again?

#20 Posted by Pazy (2592 posts) -

@AaronThomas said:

that's about it. I still keep in touch with the From the Bleachers crew (Ekberg and Shanker), and we're kicking around the idea of some sort of podcast. Those of you who remember Shanker will be pleased to know he's still... Shanker.

That would be very cool, I listened to some of "From the Bleachers" but I have a strong dislike for sports which made it hard to listen to but all three of you were really cool dudes so Id appreciate some more of your inside my ear's.

#21 Posted by SadPatrol (500 posts) -

Way to bump

#22 Posted by PenguinDust (12550 posts) -

@SadPatrol said:

Way to bump

Well, at least we know he didn't move to Connecticut.

#23 Posted by Harkat (1104 posts) -

Hey, the duder in question actually turned up here. Turns out things you say on internet forums IS important and paid attention to after all!

#24 Edited by Yummylee (22038 posts) -

While we're at it, what the fuck happened to Joe Dodson?

@joedodson Hey, yo, you around?..

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9741 posts) -

Who?

#26 Posted by Village_Guy (2630 posts) -

Well that was kinda crazy, certainly not what I expected from a bump. But hey, a good answer from the source himself.

#27 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -

@AaronThomas said:

@brainboy77 said:

I am pleased to say that I am not a rapist in Connecticut or any other state, commonwealth, territory, or country. I wrote for Bitmob for a few years and freelanced for EGM and GamePro at the same time. I was also an associate producer on Backbreaker, which was quite an interesting experience. I learned a lot, but the final product was not what I had hoped it would be. I did my best, though.

The rumors you hear about freelance pay being pathetic are true and Bitmob wasn't generating much money, so I decided to head out into the "real" world. I worked as a contractor at Google with the team from Slide (former GameSpotters Don and Bethany worked there). While I enjoyed it immensely, the uncertainty caused by three month contracts wasn't the ideal sitiation for me.

Since July of 2011 I have been working at SCEA (PlayStation) as a Content Producer. I write the help center content on the PlayStation website, and I also write internal knowledge articles for our phone agents. I enjoy it because I'm still writing, using my knowledge of games, and work with cool people. It has allowed me to take a break from giving my opinions on games, so now I can play games just for fun, which is important because I ten years of reviewing games really wore me out.

So that's about it. I still keep in touch with the From the Bleachers crew (Ekberg and Shanker), and we're kicking around the idea of some sort of podcast. Those of you who remember Shanker will be pleased to know he's still... Shanker.

Well, that was quite in depth. The last thing I knew you were doing was Bitmob, and I realize now how long ago that really was. Godspeed mr. Thomas!

#28 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

@Mb246 said:

I laughed and stuff came out, well done sir

#29 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

@AaronThomas said:

@brainboy77 said:

Hey this worked , i'm gonna start a blog wondering what happened to lindsay lohans innocence, hopefully it gets in touch

#30 Posted by wjb (1674 posts) -

Such a weird bump. I'm glad Aaron's not a rapist...yet.

This thread made me remember that Bitmob exists. I tried listening to their podcast when they first started up, but the whole thing was a mess. The whole "4 people, 4 topics" idea was interesting on paper, but not so much in execution.

#31 Posted by JackSukeru (5921 posts) -

Had to google the name, I remember that guy! Happy that you're doing well guy!

#32 Posted by Jayzilla (2567 posts) -

@buft said:

@AaronThomas said:

@brainboy77 said:

Hey this worked , i'm gonna start a blog wondering what happened to lindsay lohans innocence, hopefully it gets in touch

it's dead in my basement.

#33 Posted by damswedon (3196 posts) -

@Jayzilla: Crap, that must mean the one I own is a fake.

#34 Posted by RedRoach (1198 posts) -

@Jayzilla: Man, every time I see your avatar I think you're Opie from Sons of Anarchy.

#35 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

@AaronThomas: I'd listen to that. It was my favourite podcast and this is from someone who doesn't watch any sports. It was just cool to hear people talk enthusiastically about things they like, which kinda leaps the fence to the point where it didn't matter if I knew exactly what was being said. I even followed your blog for a bit after Gamespot fell in and FTB and all that was shut down (big mistake I think, the live show really gave the website a lot of fresh energy that it needed badly). I guess I just enjoyed hearing Shanker be an arrogant, annoying ass to you and Ekberg. He had to of been the most annoying person ever.

#36 Posted by spiceninja (3063 posts) -

Forget him, what ever happened to Jason Ocampo?!

#37 Posted by Artigkar (189 posts) -

@PlasmaBeam44: Didn't he work at IGN after leaving gamespot?

#38 Posted by AaronThomas (17 posts) -

@MrKlorox: I was on as a contractor, so I'm not really sure what their future plans are. The iPhone version of Backbreaker did really well and was pretty fun, so I know they did shift some of their focus that way. I had high hopes for the console version as well, but (I'm legally limited to what I can say because of the agreement I signed when I was hired) there were some challenges and behind-the-scenes issues that held it back.

#39 Edited by AaronThomas (17 posts) -

Joe Dodson lives in the LA area, and I believe he's in school getting his masters (or he might have just finished it up). I know he was writing here and there, but I'm not sure what his bread and butter is these days.

Ocampo worked for IGN for a few years and then went to Michigan to work for a game developer. After his stint there he moved to the Seattle area. I'm not sure what he's doing for work, but he seems to go on a lot of adventures (posts lots of interesting pics on Facebook), so I guess he's doing well.

#40 Posted by NTM (7475 posts) -

Awkwardly, if it was him, which I do believe it was, the last time I saw him was in the audience on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. It was weird.

#41 Edited by MasturbatingestBear (1192 posts) -

@AaronThomas: Nice to get a reply from the old guys here on the forums. Where are Bethany and Don now? It's cool to see that you are still working with video games.

Also does anyone have the video from TGS back in like 2006 when he was talking to the booth babes in Japanese?

#42 Posted by spiceninja (3063 posts) -

@Artigkar: He did for about a year then left and disappeared from the face of the earth.

#43 Posted by AaronThomas (17 posts) -

@MasturbatingestBear: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/filter/video_player.php?id=JCEwwTD-5b8LuTHZ This always makes me cringe when I watch it. I came off as really mean, but that wasn't my intention, I was just trying to be goofy. I would go up to them ahead of time, and as best I could ask them if they would do a funny interview. All of the girls said yes, but yeah... they were really, really confused.

#44 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1192 posts) -

@AaronThomas: At least it was all lighthearted fun and you weren't being malicious about it. Get on the Bombcast soon Aaron. Also your "Getting To Know Gamespot" series was fantastic.

#45 Posted by Walreese55 (508 posts) -

Took about a year, but I finally got my answer : )

#46 Posted by Paindamnation (806 posts) -

You got to love that the FIRST thing that comes up when you look up Aaron Thomas is this thread.

Plus how are you all so quick to assume a quick "new" member since this thread was created is the actual guy?

Provide credentials please!

#47 Posted by TooWalrus (13232 posts) -

@brainboy77: If I'd noticed this years ago, I would have said something snarky, like, "He was beaten to death by crazed Pandemic fans, after he rated Mercs 2 LOWER than Fable Pub Games"

...but I'm much too mature for that, now.

#48 Posted by Walreese55 (508 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@brainboy77: If I'd noticed this years ago, I would have said something snarky, like, "He was beaten to death by crazed Pandemic fans, after he rated Mercs 2 LOWER than Fable Pub Games"

...but I'm much too mature for that, now.

I've never played Fable Pub Games, but dude. Mercs 2 was ass. Like why do you even remember this piece of shit, Just Cause 2 made me forget that Mercs 2 ever existed and I'm so much happier for it

#49 Posted by TooWalrus (13232 posts) -

@brainboy77: Nah, I remember really liking Mercs 2, I was a dude with a braided beard who tossed smoke grenades at buildings and watched them be destroyed real nicely from space... And there was a deck of 52 and it was real fun to bail off of motorcycles and... that's about all I remember. Course I haven't played Just Cause but I've heard it's great. Also, I played Mercs 2 when I had GameFly, so it well worth the rental.

#50 Posted by teh_destroyer (3569 posts) -

More concerned about Matthew Rorie than this guy at the moment :(.