wtf happened to TLC?

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Omega

You know back in the day there was a system.

The discovery channel was centred around natural sciences. Nature documentaries and such.
The learning channel was geared towards technology. Medical science docs, robotics, machinery, construction and the like.

Now everything is carried by the discovery channel. And TLC is overrun by shitty reality shows.

And, it may be insensitive to say, freak shows. worlds fattest man, midget family, documentaries of freak accidents that leave people deformed.
Lets not forget the dozen different home improvement shows. trading spaces, holmes on homes, flip that house, etc.

So, anyone else notice this? Who else hates what has become of TLC?

DiscoLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DiscoLights

midget family????

pretty rude.

anyway, i like TLC...it's the Learning the channel, surely there's more to learn about then technology based things.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

Nothing rude about "midget family".

It's actually a pretty good show.

This is better for the TV discussion thread though.

DiscoLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DiscoLights

the word "midget" is somewhat derogatory to the little people community 

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jayge_

The word "midget" is the word "midget". They can get over it.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By DualReaver

I keep asking them for a steel sword but none of them will make me one. >:C

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Shawn

I don't get why people get offended by Midget. It's not like they were oppressed at a certain point in history and were labeled as Midgets.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DualReaver
Shawn said:
"I don't get why people get offended by Midget. It's not like they were oppressed at a certain point in history and were labeled as Midgets."
That's what Santa called them before the Gov't started regulating the North Pole and forced him to call them "Elves" or "Little Helpers".
evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By evilhomer

midget cant be that offensive as there is an entire town of midgets in new jersey called midgetville.  just don't go there if you are normal as they can legally open fire on you.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mourne

Midgets can be as offended as they want by the word, but I'm sorry--deal with it. We have bigger problems than everyone getting a piece of the PC pie.

I did used to love TLC. Occasionally, they'll show some of the 'holy shit surgery' shows, which never fail to make me cringe.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Bennyishere

Hmm, we don't get TLC here.

DiscoLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DiscoLights
Mourne said:
"Midgets can be as offended as they want by the word, but I'm sorry--deal with it. We have bigger problems than everyone getting a piece of the PC pie.
if someone is offended by something as small as a word, why not cease from using it???
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
DiscoLights said:
"Mourne said:
"Midgets can be as offended as they want by the word, but I'm sorry--deal with it. We have bigger problems than everyone getting a piece of the PC pie.
if someone is offended by something as small as a word, why not cease from using it???"
Because you shouldn't be offended by something as small as a word.
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mourne
DiscoLights said:
"Mourne said:
if someone is offended by something as small as a word, why not cease from using it???"
Because it's getting ridiculous as to what exactly everyone is offended by. Being offended by age-old words is apparently fashionable, and the funniest part in this case is that midget was never a bad word. It's never been used to oppress "little people," and yet, it's suddenly offensive.
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Virago

I hate cable tv. TLC included. 

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Omega
Mourne said:
"DiscoLights said:
"Mourne said:
Because it's getting ridiculous as to what exactly everyone is offended by. Being offended by age-old words is apparently fashionable, and the funniest part in this case is that midget was never a bad word. It's never been used to oppress "little people," and yet, it's suddenly offensive."
I agree. (sarcasm) I'm fat, so I get really offended when people call me fat. I prefer to be called chubby, big boned, etc. (sarcasm) Except, all these words mean your fat. Same with the word midget. I could have said little person, or dwarf, but I chose to say midget. These are all just words there is nothing wrong with them at all. Its the context that makes a word good or bad, not the word itself. 50 bucks says that if we all started calling a random minority, telephone with some attitude in our voice, the next week we wont be allowed to say telephone at all.

As George Carlin would say, "I know I'm a blue eyed, white devil, cracker-ass, honkey. Doesn't bother my ass."

Full Disclosure: I am a fat, white, lower-middle class 21 year old white guy. And I don't give a shit what word you use to describe me.
                                 Hell, why not get creative and make up a new word to describe me. Lets go with triomo. Remember if your not fat, white, and 21 years old you can't say triomo. That's our word and you have no right to use it.

I guess that makes my girlfriend a Triomosexual.
Avatar image for cleverloginname
CleverLoginName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CleverLoginName

I like Junkyard wars, anyone remember that one?

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Absurd
CleverLoginName said:
"I like Junkyard wars, anyone remember that one?"
That was a pretty cool show.
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Verdugo
Omega said:
"Mourne said:
"DiscoLights said:
"Mourne said:
Because it's getting ridiculous as to what exactly everyone is offended by. Being offended by age-old words is apparently fashionable, and the funniest part in this case is that midget was never a bad word. It's never been used to oppress "little people," and yet, it's suddenly offensive."
I agree. (sarcasm) I'm fat, so I get really offended when people call me fat. I prefer to be called chubby, big boned, etc. (sarcasm) Except, all these words mean your fat. Same with the word midget. I could have said little person, or dwarf, but I chose to say midget. These are all just words there is nothing wrong with them at all. Its the context that makes a word good or bad, not the word itself. 50 bucks says that if we all started calling a random minority, telephone with some attitude in our voice, the next week we wont be allowed to say telephone at all.

As George Carlin would say, "I know I'm a blue eyed, white devil, cracker-ass, honkey. Doesn't bother my ass."

Full Disclosure: I am a fat, white, lower-middle class 21 year old white guy. And I don't give a shit what word you use to describe me.
                                 Hell, why not get creative and make up a new word to describe me. Lets go with triomo. Remember if your not fat, white, and 21 years old you can't say triomo. That's our word and you have no right to use it.

I guess that makes my girlfriend a Triomosexual."
Soft language, bullshitting ourselves since the 80s.

timbo713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By timbo713

Hmmmm little people big world, just another freak show on TLC, Can't stand it, like to see someone kick the crutches out from under the dad, I don't get it ,so they're midgets big deal, are we to feel sorry for them.  I don't even want to imagine what TLC is paying them to film the show.  These reality shows are getting pathetic, anyway just my opinion and yes I guess I'm heartless piece of **** but someone has to be......LOL

RodneythePom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RodneythePom
DiscoLights said:
"the word "midget" is somewhat derogatory to the little people community "
Don't you think "little people" is just as demeaning?
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was planning on sauntering into this thread and dropping the line, "Oh, you know, they went and chased waterfalls.  They shoulda stuck with the rivers and lakes they were used to."

When I realized this topic was not about the R&B group, but the television station, I quickly decided against that little quip.

Boy, I think we're moving too fast.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Verdugo
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"I was planning on sauntering into this thread and dropping the line, "Oh, you know, they went and chased waterfalls.  They shoulda stuck with the rivers and lakes they were used to."

When I realized this topic was not about the R&B group, but the television station, I quickly decided against that little quip.

Boy, I think we're moving too fast."

ROFL

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HandsomeDead
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"I was planning on sauntering into this thread and dropping the line, "Oh, you know, they went and chased waterfalls.  They shoulda stuck with the rivers and lakes they were used to."

Boy, I think we're moving too fast."
I was going to say something about TLC being for hippies and people should accept the world is a cruel place but this has thrown me.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Dalai

It hasn't been the same since Left Eye died... wait a second.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By singular
HandsomeDead said:
I was going to say something about TLC being for hippies and people should accept the world is a cruel place but this has thrown me."

If more people would refuse to accept the world as a cruel place it would stop to be one ;)
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HandsomeDead
SinGulaR said:
"HandsomeDead said:
I was going to say something about TLC being for hippies and people should accept the world is a cruel place but this has thrown me."

If more people would refuse to accept the world as a cruel place it would stop to be one ;)"
Hippie.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By singular
HandsomeDead said:
Hippie."
Frustrated? :D
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HandsomeDead
SinGulaR said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Hippie."
Frustrated? :D"
More than I deserve to be.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By singular

No matter what one might expect, he gets what he deserves. ;)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HandsomeDead

You're probably right. But that smirk does me no favours!

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By singular

Sorry about that. At least you have a new friend ;)