Xbox 360 DVD player VS PS2 DVD player?

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gizmo

Basically, I want to watch Lord Of The Rings on DVD but my 360 is dead.

I was wondering, if I hooked up the 'ol PS2 to the HD-TV would the DVD playback be the same quality as the 360's DVD player?

Any help much appreciated.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

Probably not, but it depends on how you had your 360 hooked up to your HDTV in the first place.  If you had it hooked up by VGA or HDMI, then you were watching an upscaled version of that DVD and it will probably be significantly better than anything the PS2 could do.  Otherwise, it may be about the same.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

hell no, specially if you upscale it to 720p-1080i/p which you need an hdmi connection to do and the ps2 wont even do it, it can upscale to 480p though.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Hexpane
Gizmo said:

if I hooked up the 'ol PS2 to the HD-TV would the DVD playback be the same quality as the 360's DVD player?

No, the PS2 DVD playback is actually HIGHER QUALITY than the 360 playback.  During tests the 360 DVD image quality was rated as poor/average on many sections.  the only advantage to the 360 is Upscaling, but since all HDTVs upscale anyway, there is no real advantage.

Your best bet is a PS3 or a standalone DVD player like a denon or if you don't want to spend a bunch, Oppo makes very cool feature rich DVD players w/ HDMI, upscaling, firmware updates, region free etc...
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Hexpane said:
"Gizmo said:

if I hooked up the 'ol PS2 to the HD-TV would the DVD playback be the same quality as the 360's DVD player?

No, the PS2 DVD playback is actually HIGHER QUALITY than the 360 playback.  During tests the 360 DVD image quality was rated as poor/average on many sections.  the only advantage to the 360 is Upscaling, but since all HDTVs upscale anyway, there is no real advantage.

Your best bet is a PS3 or a standalone DVD player like a denon or if you don't want to spend a bunch, Oppo makes very cool feature rich DVD players w/ HDMI, upscaling, firmware updates, region free etc..."
Link please? as well where are you geting that all hdtvs upscale any ways? lol you dont know what your talking bout, The ps2 has no abbility to upscale beyond 480p regardless the connection you use, and you need a scaler to upscale and most TVS dont have a scaler built in.

lol I mean hell you threw your own argument out the window with the Oppo comment with HDMI upscaling, if all hdtvs upscaled any ways then you wouldn't need an oppo dvd player with hdmi connection.
AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By AndrewGaspar
WilliamRLBaker said:
"hell no, specially if you upscale it to 720p-1080i/p which you need an hdmi connection to do and the ps2 wont even do it, it can upscale to 480p though."
Seeing as video content on a DVD is in native 480p, it wouldn't need to upscale it. ;-)
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By crunchUK

hm well if you turn the xbox off it remrmbers exactly where you were (which is awesome)

and it upscales (also awesome)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

This is irrelevant to the actual topic at hand (and not in any means meant as a troll or a gloat) but I put a DVD into my PS3 for the first time the other day (seriously!) and was blown away with the upscaling. It does an amazing job.

If the 360 does similar upscaling (which I'm not sure it does but presume so) then I assume you won't get anywhere near as good picture quality out of the PS2.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Megalon
Hexpane said:
"Gizmo said:

My HDTV doesn't upscale, if the source is 480p then the TV switches to that mode. I remember reading back in the day that PS2 DVD playback quality was poor, so go figure.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
AndrewGaspar said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:
"hell no, specially if you upscale it to 720p-1080i/p which you need an hdmi connection to do and the ps2 wont even do it, it can upscale to 480p though."
Seeing as video content on a DVD is in native 480p, it wouldn't need to upscale it. ;-)"
actually no.
DVD video comes in various forms DVD's are not native 480p.
  • At 25 fps (usually used in regions where PAL is standard):
  • At 29.97 or 23.976 fps (usually used in regions where NTSC is standard):

The following formats are allowed for MPEG-1 video:

• 352 × 288 pixels MPEG-1 at 25 fps (Same as the VCD Standard)
  • 352 × 240 pixels MPEG-1 at 29.97 fps (Same as the VCD Standard)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Resolution_and_Frame_rate

It depends upon the creator of the dvd and the publisher on what video format they have so you will often see very very many dvds not in Progressive, as for that if it wasn't true why does the ps2 have an 480p option in its dvd playback.