• 139 results
#1 Edited by DeShawn2ks (1057 posts) -

So I get home tonight and turn on my xbox to play some Halo Reach with some buddies and I get this.

So seeing how this will be my 8th 360 I am bestowing the title of crappiest console ever made to the xbox 360. I treat my consoles with care and still somehow I have managed to go through 8 of the damn things. This is honestly the shittest console I ever owned from a hardware point and I used to have some stupid disney console my mom bought for me as a kid that you hooked up to the VCR and played games with crappy cartoon videos. A console that I used to think was so bad I can't remember the name of it today. Some one please fix this please Fable 3 and Undead Nightmare come out next week =-(.
#2 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

This thread is gunna go places.

#3 Posted by BrockSampson (299 posts) -

I still have my first console. Even though I bought a jasper revision just in case. It is a rather good system, with an unfortunate rate of failure.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

I do love my 360, but I agree, the system is faulty.

#5 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

It took you 8 consoles to realize this?

#6 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

MS should track people that have gone through as many failures as that and give them special treatment.  That many 360's is nuts.

#7 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -

I've been there. I feel your pain. This is an older system, right? I hope it's not a 360 S.

#8 Posted by yakov456 (1923 posts) -

You guys are like woman who is the victim of domestic assault, for some reason you just keep coming back to get beat more. Move on, this will help you.

#9 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -
@Pinworm45 said:
" This thread is gunna go places. "
ITS ALREADY GONE TO THAT PLACE!
#10 Posted by audiosnag (1582 posts) -

I was gonna post something snarky about stupid fanboys but if that's really your 8th...can't really say i blame you. That's nuts dude.
Mine red ringed once and i had a brand new one 2 weeks later. I was pretty impressed with how fast they sent it to me. After 8 i'd probably be a little pissed off.

#11 Posted by Brendan (8124 posts) -

I've only ever had one failure about a year after I got my console on launch day.  It sucked, but dude, your pain is beyond my reckoning.
#12 Edited by Hef (1158 posts) -

You don't have to censor your swearing because whiskey media isn't run by a bunch of tight asses.  Also, just get a PC. It's the exact same as an xbox but it has a better controller and games runs better.  Who knew?

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

I've never had any problems with my Xbox 360, so I'll only say it's crappy because of Xbox live Gold.

#14 Posted by Murtaug (309 posts) -

I am on 360 number twelve right now.

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

My launch Pro has never failed. 

Suck it.

#16 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1057 posts) -
@JJWeatherman:  Yeah it is the older version. Just called MS support and they said my warranty was up in August.
#17 Posted by PaulM (144 posts) -

yea the platform is good but the hardware is shit

#18 Posted by lilburtonboy7489 (1948 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" MS should track people that have gone through as many failures as that and give them special treatment.  That many 360's is nuts. "
Ya no kidding. I went through 4. 
#19 Posted by Magicallystoopid (466 posts) -

I'm on my third... which also has a faulty CD drive.  I feel your pain brother.

#20 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -
@DeShawn2ks said:
" @JJWeatherman:  Yeah it is the older version. Just called MS support and they said my warranty was up in August. "
Ouch, bad luck man.
#21 Posted by agentboolen (1843 posts) -

The part were you say "someone please fix this", kind of makes me think you might not have given us enough information on this problem.  I would say go send it to Microsoft asap so you get the machine back as fast as possible, unless its a really old machine it probably is still under warranty.  Good luck it happens to all of us, I understand your pain.

On a similar question does anyone know the rate on how prone the new model xbox's are to breakage?  I'm getting to the point I would like to pick one up just because of the 20gb HDD is full and I'd rather buy a new one with a big HDD instead of just buy a new HDD.

#22 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1057 posts) -
@yakov456:  I hate to say it but you are right. I can't move on though Fable 3 comes out next week. I don't even want to think of all my Mass Effect 2 saves (the complete ones) I could lose.
#23 Posted by TheLegendofLuke (563 posts) -

Mine tried to red ring on me once, I just pointed at it and shouted "NO" and it worked again :D

#24 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1057 posts) -
@ajamafalous:  I hate you, you lucky SOB.
#25 Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -

I'm still on 360 #1. On occasion the screen will go all white and it'll lock up, but hey.

#26 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@Gamer_152 said:
" @DeShawn2ks said:
" @JJWeatherman:  Yeah it is the older version. Just called MS support and they said my warranty was up in August. "
Ouch, bad luck man. "
No kidding, that really sucks. I'd bet if you complain enough over the phone you could get a discount on the repair. Or you could just take this as an opportunity to upgrade to the new version.
#27 Posted by audiosnag (1582 posts) -
@DeShawn2ks: 
If you get mad enough they'll cover it i'm sure especially considering your situation.
I'm not big on acting like a prick with people but sometimes you have to, to not get screwed. I remember my launch PS2 started fritzing after 4 months an after a rather stern conversation, i got it replaced free minus shipping.
#28 Posted by yakov456 (1923 posts) -
@DeShawn2ks said:
" @yakov456:  I hate to say it but you are right. I can't move on though Fable 3 comes out next week. I don't even want to think of all my Mass Effect 2 saves (the complete ones) I could lose. "
It's too bad though, I used to have a 360 and I loved the games but the system failures pushed me away.
#29 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I appreciate that constantly failing hardware sucks badly...

But do we REALLY want to call the Xbox 360 worse than the Virtual Boy? Really?

Of course, my VB still works, so I guess there is some merit to the idea...

#30 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Big deal. Everyone knows that the 360's hardware is made of paper mache. Suck it up and buy a new one(Aren't they like 90 bucks now anyway?) 

#31 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@DeShawn2ks said:
" @yakov456:  I hate to say it but you are right. I can't move on though Fable 3 comes out next week. I don't even want to think of all my Mass Effect 2 saves (the complete ones) I could lose. "
You won't lose any data. They never ask you to send your HDD in.
#32 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1057 posts) -

Yeah it looks like it is time to upgrade to the newest version. I have been rocking the 20GB one for a while now. Deleting demos and games on demand stuff when I get a new game is just stupid. Probably about time to bite the bullet and take my ass to the store and get one.

#33 Posted by Bucketdeth (8048 posts) -

I'd totally tell you to buy a PS3 but then I would be a fanboy, so go buy another 360.

#34 Posted by iKANNIBAL (595 posts) -

There was actualy never anything wrong with the 360 hardware it was just a design flaw. The new one fixed that issue though, from a buisness standpoint i can see the logic behind why Microsoft did it the way they did. If they had just recalled the systems and released a new console it would have costed them the entire gen, so instead they waited till they got a stable spot in this gen to release an entirely new design and replace all the old ones. 

I has a new one ^_^

#35 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -

One of the main reasons I game on PC. If something breaks, I can take a trip to the PC shop and buy whatever I need to fix it, and have it back up and running that night. I don't like to let companies hold my balls for me.

But it's not just the X360, I have a friend with a PS3 who's on his 3rd one, and Sony doesn't care, they make you pay to have them fixed.

#36 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

It's a good thing you censored your "Damn." If you didn't, I'd have to step over this monitor and rape you. 

Do you live in a dusty house or something? Stop with all the dust. Just stop it.

#37 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

I sold my first console to get a new one, but it was from 2006 and I couldn't stand not having HDMI.

#38 Posted by Hosstile17 (768 posts) -

I've gone through 9 and just recently had to buy a new one for the first time. My 60gig PS3 bit the dust a year after a bought it and had to pay $150 to fix it. It hasn't broke again, since. I would actually rather send consoles away once or twice a year for free, than pay to fix them. That is just my two cents.
#39 Edited by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:

" One of the main reasons I game on PC. If something breaks, I can take a trip to the PC shop and buy whatever I need to fix it, and have it back up and running that night. I don't like to let companies hold my balls for me.  But it's not just the X360, I have a friend with a PS3 who's on his 3rd one, and Sony doesn't care, they make you pay to have them fixed. "

But couldn't you do the same and just go buy a new console if it were to break? PC components aren't cheap these days. A video card alone can cost as much as a 360.
#40 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

I love people saying they take care of their systems. I highly highly highly doubt that EIGHT consoles would have died if you'd kept care of them. I've never had a failure.

#41 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:

@Fajita_Jim said:

" One of the main reasons I game on PC. If something breaks, I can take a trip to the PC shop and buy whatever I need to fix it, and have it back up and running that night. I don't like to let companies hold my balls for me.  But it's not just the X360, I have a friend with a PS3 who's on his 3rd one, and Sony doesn't care, they make you pay to have them fixed. "

But couldn't you do the same and just go buy a new console if it were to break? PC components aren't cheap these days. A video card alone can cost as much as a 360.
Realistically the old 360s have a much higher failure rate than anything outside of a Dell mobo.  Just if your CPU gets fried and newegg or whoever won't accept a RMA you're proportionally more fucked.
#42 Edited by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:

" @Fajita_Jim said:

But couldn't you do the same and just go buy a new console if it were to break? PC components aren't cheap these days. A video card alone can cost as much as a 360. "
If you're a layman, perhaps. However, I'm not. I've been in IT for 20 years. If my motherboard goes out, I know the whole  board isn't bad and I know how to find and fix what did go bad. Oftentimes it's just a diode or anode, which cost pennies. 

Besides, if you've had your video card for more than a few months it's most likely been reduced to at least half the price. Typically, video cards don't go bad for a while and when they do, it's usually user fault for not dusting that bitch out.

And another point, I haven't paid more than $200 for a video card since the GeForce 4. Staying one release behind the cutting edge can save hundreds. Hell, even an $80 video card can outperform PS3/Xbox, so what's the problem?

And one more thing: PC components ARE cheap these days. I remember paying $500 for a Meg of RAM. That's 1MB. I remember paying $700 for a 200MB hard drive. I remember paying $300 for a 2MB video memory extension so I could use MPEG-2 video. I remember paying $1200 for a Dot-Matrix printer. What's your point?
#43 Edited by DeShawn2ks (1057 posts) -
@Burns098356GX:  Well I keep all my consoles well vented, don't ever move them unless I am moving stuff around, I don't leave them running all day long, and I do my best to make sure dust doesn't collect around them. What else can I do?
#44 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
If you're a layman, perhaps. However, I'm not. I've been in IT for 20 years. If my motherboard goes out, I know the whole  board isn't bad and I know how to find and fix what did go bad. Oftentimes it's just a diode or anode, which cost pennies.
If you can pull something like that off, more power to ya.  I don't even have my own voltmeter.
#45 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6201 posts) -

WUT

#46 Posted by JJWeatherman (14569 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
" @JJWeatherman said:

" @Fajita_Jim said:

But couldn't you do the same and just go buy a new console if it were to break? PC components aren't cheap these days. A video card alone can cost as much as a 360. "
... What's your point? "
My point is that a 360 costs much less than a PC. 

And video card performance is mostly resolution based. So yeah, if you have a small monitor you can probably gimp along on an $80 graphics card.
#47 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Damn, that sucks. I'm still not having any problems with my second 360.

#48 Posted by LibraryDues (335 posts) -

It really is a bizarre dichotomy.  The platform itself is amazing, clearly the standard this generation, but the console it comes in is just awful.  I am on my third, personally. 

#49 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1458 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Fajita_Jim said:
" @JJWeatherman said:

" @Fajita_Jim said:

... What's your point? "
My point is that a 360 costs much less than a PC.  And video card performance is mostly resolution based. So yeah, if you have a small monitor you can probably gimp along on an $80 graphics card. "
Dude, I've seen HD 4850's for $60 and HD 4870's for $89. Those will do you just fine for gaming at any resolution.

An Xbox is only cheaper than a PC if you don't buy games. Once you start buying games, just-released games are at least $10 more on consoles than PC (because Sony/MS charge the dev a fee to use their device). So once you buy 10 games, you've spent $100 extra for the console games vs. PC games. Also, try going to Google.com on your Xbox, or try to play a game of Halo 2 online. I was playing Quake II online last week and that game is a decade old.

Case in point, from Walmart.com:

So yeah, if you buy a lot of games such as I do, a PC is faaaaar cheaper.
#50 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Xbox 360 is a hardware failure catastrophe, probably one of the biggest if not THE biggest in history. 

Surprising how it still sells so well. 

Well at least its not Virtual Boy. That console is full of suck. Though you can count on it being more reliable.