#1 Posted by RonGalaxy (3166 posts) -

Please tell me what the hell is up with every (exaggeration) food joint employing it's own pretzel bun. Sonic, Wendy's, Chillis, Ruby Tuesdays, etc. It's Un-American.

Can't we go back to the olden days where buns were the only constant in burger and hot dog preperation? They done started to confuse me with this new fangled variety

#2 Edited by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

Its like a pile of poo and shit merged and made a super shitty pile of poo.

#3 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4604 posts) -

This is the first I've heard of it. How does that even work. Is it, like, crunchy? How do you even fucking eat that?

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11724 posts) -

@markwahlberg: It's a soft pretzel shaped into a roll, essentially. I had a hamburger on one last night. It was pretty great.

#5 Posted by Zeik (2423 posts) -

I've been kind of wondering this myself. It seems like all of a sudden everyone is doing this. I wonder what started it.

#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

It's threads like this that remind me you Americans have a far-reaching and fantastical world of fast food that I will never know.

#7 Edited by RupertTheBear (186 posts) -

Its also good if u toast it and have it with butter, kinda like a bagel

#8 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2769 posts) -

Well, Pretzel bun hot dogs have been all the rage for a few years before this Pretzel hamburger bun came about.

#9 Posted by CollegeGuyMike (389 posts) -

I had that wendys pretzel burger at the location across from my college.

It was, let's say, sub-par.

#10 Edited by StrainedEyes (1324 posts) -

Yes, I don't know what happened in America that this is currently a thing, but there have been so many pretzel bun foods released in the last few months. I have yet to partake... I had a pretzel bagel not long ago, it was salty.

#12 Edited by Chaser324 (6525 posts) -

I tried the Wendy's pretzel bun burger a few weeks ago, and I wasn't impressed. I definitely didn't see any reason to pay a premium to get it instead of a more traditional bun.

#13 Posted by 71Ranchero (2765 posts) -

I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

#14 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

Wendy's buns are well shaped.

#15 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

Need to give these a try because I love me a soft pretzel.

#16 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2123 posts) -

Dunkin Donuts has a pretzel roll sandwich also.

#17 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

and the deep dish pizza, tons of places are acting like that's a new thing too.

#18 Posted by Funkydupe (3318 posts) -

So deep.

#19 Edited by Tireyo (6413 posts) -

Only regular or big buns for me thank you.

#20 Edited by schreiberty (208 posts) -

i thought the wendys pretzle burger was worse then a regular burger and it cost more

#21 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

I have not seen it, but it sounds kind of awesome.

#22 Edited by jiggajoe14 (684 posts) -

I haven't had the fast food incarnations released recently but I remember trying a pretzel bun for the first time at a local pub in Chicago 2 years ago and it was god damn heavenly. Love me a pretzel bun.

#23 Posted by bemusedchunk (692 posts) -

Dunkin Donuts does this shit too.

Whatever happened to The Year of the Bow?

#24 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

I thought the one at Wendy's was pretty good. Or at least in keeping with the standards set by previous Wendy's hamburgers.

#25 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1004 posts) -

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pretzel buns. They are amazing, and I hope they continue to be a staple in terrible-for-you-but-so-tasty fast food.

#26 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

I've thoroughly enjoyed Wendy's pretzel burger both times I've had it.

#27 Posted by Deadlydog (160 posts) -

@gamer_152: Dude idk where you live but man...FAST FOOD IS INSANE HERE!

#28 Posted by Dalerax (54 posts) -

While my second try of the Wendy's pretzel burger wasn't as fantastic as the first was, I do recall being blown away by how delicious the burger was for a fast food item. It tasted like a burger I would order in a low end restaurant like Chili's or Red Robin. And that's pretty high praise for a fast food burger.

#29 Posted by BBAlpert (1468 posts) -

Wendy's buns are well shaped.

Yeah, girl's got it goin' on ;D

(sorry, I could not resist)

#30 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

This thread suffers from a tragic lack of Pretzel Bun pics!

#31 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

@deadlydog said:

@gamer_152: Dude idk where you live but man...FAST FOOD IS INSANE HERE!

I live in the UK. We have like McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell (in more limited quantities than you guys), Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa John's, and that's basically it.

#32 Posted by Pezen (1604 posts) -

@gamer_152 said:

It's threads like this that remind me you Americans have a far-reaching and fantastical world of fast food that I will never know.

Same here. Except for pizza. I would never trade the pizza culture in Sweden for the US. Theirs is not bad, just.. it lacks variety I've found in a way most fast food lack variety here. At least when I was over there like 10 years ago.

#33 Edited by KaneRobot (1605 posts) -

Only had the Sonic pretzel dog thing so far, but it fucking sucked. Too thick/hard and not a whole lot of pretzel taste to it. Maybe I just got a couple of "bad ones" or something, but I'm not tempted to try again.

#34 Posted by spraynardtatum (2943 posts) -

Let me say, I love me some pretzel buns....unfortunately I got that quarter pounder pretzel bun thing from Wendy's and it was floating in a bed of grease...it made the entire sandwich disgusting.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Also wtf happened to their fries? They're floppy and wet now! They used to be crispy and good!

#35 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (618 posts) -

Taste-wise I have no preference nor can I really tell the difference between a pretzel bun and a regular bun.

But eating any fast-food other than mass quantities of fried chicken is ridiculous

Popeyes Nation.

#36 Posted by Zeik (2423 posts) -

@spraynardtatum said:

Anyone else have a similar experience? Also wtf happened to their fries? They're floppy and wet now! They used to be crispy and good!

Wendy's fries were originally floppy and wet, then they improved them and they were crispier. I haven't been there in awhile, so maybe they went back to their original crappy recipe.

#37 Edited by spraynardtatum (2943 posts) -

@zeik: They switched to the "sea-salt" recipe which are supposed to be healthier. Makes me wonder about all the grease and wet floppiness.

#38 Posted by TyCobb (1972 posts) -

Wienerschnitzel has been doing this for years. Pretzel buns are fucking awesome if they aren't old and get nice and soft from the heat.

I remember being pissed when Wienerschnitzel stopped doing pretzel buns a couple of years ago and then happy when they brought it back.

#39 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

@naru_joe93: I have a feeling it has to do with discount pretzel-bun mix and fast food corporations killing two birds with one stone.

#40 Posted by Slag (4347 posts) -

Please tell me what the hell is up with every (exaggeration) food joint employing it's own pretzel bun. Sonic, Wendy's, Chillis, Ruby Tuesdays, etc. It's Un-American.

You're Un-American

#41 Posted by Demoskinos (14823 posts) -

I'm pretty down with the Wendy's pretzel burger.

#42 Posted by Sanity (1906 posts) -

Eh, i dont mind em, i like ham and honey mustard on them with a slice of swiss.

#43 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

Those Sonic pretzel dogs look all kinds of barf-worthy.

#44 Edited by Dalai (7028 posts) -

As long as there isn't a ciabatta bun revival, I don't care. Fuck ciabatta!

#45 Posted by meaninoflife42 (511 posts) -

The Wendy's in Canada have a limited time Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger. I had one. It tasted fine but it felt so weird.

#46 Posted by BBAlpert (1468 posts) -

@pezen said:

@gamer_152 said:

Same here. Except for pizza. I would never trade the pizza culture in Sweden for the US. Theirs is not bad, just.. it lacks variety I've found in a way most fast food lack variety here. At least when I was over there like 10 years ago.

Is Swedish pizza actually good quality pizza or is it more that they'll just put whatever the fuck you want (or don't want) on a pizza, like Japan seems to do?

#47 Edited by Pezen (1604 posts) -

@bbalpert: Both. Well, depending on where you get your pizza and your definition of a good quality pizza. We don't really have pizza franchises (well, ok, we have imported Pizza Hut, but in the wild..) so the quality of the pizza can differ not only from town to town but from place to place. But yes, we're quite free-for-all when it comes to toppings. Especially with the advent of online orders where you can easily pick and choose your toppings and go completely off the charts of sanity.

#48 Posted by darkpower (96 posts) -

Sheetz has the Pretzel Melts. They've had them for a while now, and they have a good bit of different sandwiches that they make specifically with them.