• 63 results
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Edited By spazmaster666

So it's time again. That's right, it's time for yet another anime blog post. Usually I would post some sort of award list/blog but this year I didn't watch as much anime as I normally do. Not to mention, I really didn't want to do one. Instead, I'll post about my ten favorite anime of the year. Only anime that have finished airing in 2011 will qualify, (with one notable exception which I will mention during the top ten list). Note this is what I feel were the anime I enjoyed most this year, not necessarily the best or the highest quality series of the year. Also note that this isn't really a ranked list, with the exception of #1 which is my favorite anime of the year. Anyway, let's get on with it.

Nichijou (aka My Ordinary Life) is one of those love it or hate it shows, as is the case with many comedies. Its humor is a combination of puns, slapstick, satire, and at times, downright weirdness. However, I'm absolutely a fan of weird shows like this and Nichijou manages to deliver the goods pretty much every week. Whether it's Mai's constant trolling of Yuuko or the Professor's hilarious interactions with Nano, the show delivers humor that is both smart and endearing. I didn't laugh out loud as much as I would have expected but I enjoyed pretty much every episode. There's something that should be said for shows that aren't afraid to be as downright crazy or as ridiculous as Nichijou can be at times (and let me tell it can get pretty crazy) both when it comes to the situations depicted or the animation itself. Speaking of which, I have to give props to KyoAni for yet another excellent adaptation. I'm not sure another anime studio could have pulled this show off as well as KyoAni did, and for that I can almost forgive them for only having one show last year. ;)

There's nothing particular original or innovative about Infinite Stratos, but it's combination of intense mecha battles and high school romantic comedy is certainly effective. The show is, for the most part, a harem anime but while the various heroines follow typical anime tropes, each has a distinct personality and end up being quite likeable. Seeing them fight over the affections of denser than lead Ichika is more often hilarious than not and when combined with the action sequences, makes for some fun times. The strong voice cast, good (for the most part) animation and attractive character designs makes this a successful debut for 8-bit (at least as the primary production house). However, if you're looking purely for an action/mecha series, this is not for you as while the action itself is fine, there isn't really much plot development along those lines as the anime is, at heart, a romantic comedy and is character driven rather than story-driven (I do think however that there is plenty of good setup for possible sequels in the future)

Ao no Exorcist (aka Blue Exorcist) is another of those shows that doesn't try to be innovative or particularly original. It knows what it is (a shounen series) and it executes that very well. In many ways it's a throwback to the classic shounen of a bygone era. As a big fan of those shounen series, I really enjoyed my time with Ao no Exorcist and would really love to see a sequel in the future. The plot is pretty straightforward, the voice acting is solid, the action is well animated and the characters are quite likable. There really isn't much else that needs to be said. Though Ao no Exorcist certainly cannot stand up to a lot of the shows this year in terms of impact or creativity, it proves that traditional shounen series can still be entertaining in this day and age and that, ironically, is actually quite refreshing.

Almost completely in contrast to the previous entry, Mawaru Penguindrum is the definition of innovation and originality. A thought-provoking, fascinating, and truly unique series, Mawaru Penguindrum demonstrates what anime, as a storytelling medium, can accomplish. While the complex storytelling is far from perfect and ultimately does not conclude in a satisfying way (and is often difficult to follow), it has definitely given me a greater appreciation of what multi-faceted storytelling can bring to this medium. It's also a deeply symbolic series, so for those who can appreciate and follow the symbolic undercurrents of the series, there are a lot of things to think about and ponder over. However, symbolism is usually tough to pull of and while Penguindrum does it better than a lot of other shows, it can still be difficult to grasp, which is a shame because I felt that it really allowed me to appreciate the show on a much deeper level. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this show as much as I would have expected, but as with all high-concept series, Penguindrum is more meant to be appreciated than necessarily enjoyed simply as a piece of entertainment. Now, I'm usually the type of guy who cares more about a show's entertainment value than necessarily its critical or artistic merits, but I must admit that Penguindrum is definitely an exception and should not be missed for anyone who wants to see more out of this medium than tired character tropes or recycled plot premises. I've gotta give props to Brain's Base for once again creating something that few production houses could (hope to) deliver.

I will admit that I was not immediately drawn to GOSICK. It has an atypical and interesting premise and an unusual setting (for an anime at least) but has sort of slow burn in the initial few episodes. The plot however, definitely picks up and goes in directions that I certainly didn't expect (especially from what I thought was just a mystery series), and ended up becoming the show I looked forward to the most each week. What really impressed me about GOSICK was how well BONES nailed the setting. The world of GOSICK is utterly convincing, despite it taking place in a fictional country with a somewhat alternative take on history. The relationship between Victorique and Kazuya is also one of the best I've seen in recent history (though I will admit that it doesn't develop as well as I hoped by the end). GOSICK is as much a series about Victorique and Kazuya's growing relationship as it is a mystery/thriller with occult themes and historical undercurrents. The setting and the mystery elements are certainly very interesting, but It's the story and Victorique and Kazuya's relationship that ultimately makes the show so engaging from week to week, leading up to a touching, and emotionally resonant (though somewhat rushed) ending. The animation, artwork, and character designs were superb as well (not surprising for BONES) and the music is also fantastic. I just wish BONES had more episodes to flesh out the story and some of the minor characters as GOSICK definitely felt cramped within its 24-episodes, and that is really my only major gripe with the series.

Usagi Drop is unlike a lot of the other anime airing these days in that it’s not crazy, fan-service laden, action-packed, or a haremesque romcom, but a touching slice-of-life drama about a 30-something guy and his newly adopted daughter. There’s something to be said for a show that relies entirely on the strength of its story and characters rather than on some overused gimmick. I won’t argue about how “realistic” the show is because at the end of the day, it’s still fiction, and fiction is rarely realistic. However, Usagi Drop is one of the few shows in recent memory that just puts a smile on my face every time I sit down to watch it. It is slowly paced and because of its one-season run, a lot of plot threads are left hanging, and a lot of the minor characters are left undeveloped, but it still manages to leave a very memorable impression. There’s a purity here that few shows have, and emotional resonance that few shows can elicit. This is a shining example of the power of subtlety in storytelling, something that a lot of anime these days lack.

There’s been a lot of praise thrown up for Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and to a certain extent it’s worthy of that praise. It’s a show that turns the “magical girl” genre upside down. It’s a refreshing departure from what has become one of the most prolific anime tropes. SHAFT is not known for original stories, but it has crafted one here that is compelling, unorthodox, and also highly entertaining. It’s a show that leaves you at the edge of your seat week by week, enthralling you with each twist and turn in the story. This is also not a happy show either. There is no true “happy ending” in the world of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The darker tone works wonders here and adds a great contrast to the show’s lighter moments. Ultimately the show’s greatest strength is its focus on the humanity of its heroines, rather than their fantastical alter egos. It’s as much an exploration of human nature as it is a show about ordinary high school girls who transform into mahou shoujo. Puella Magi Madoka Magica does a great job of demonstrating the somewhat cruel fate the heroines are thrust into as well as the consequences that result from committing to a life of fighting evil in the name of “justice.” Its reinvention of a genre is something that is sorely lacking in a lot of the anime that are being made these days and other studios can certainly learn from what SHAFT has managed to accomplish here.

Okay, technically speaking Fate/Zero has only aired half of its episodes, but since this series is being split into two seasons (similar to Code Geass or Gundam 00), I feel it’s justified include this in my 2011 top ten list. Anyway, with that caveat in mind, Fate/Zero managed to impress me week in and week out with fantastic animation, superb exposition, and compelling characters. What Ufotable has done with the animation, especially the exquisitely detailed action sequences, is commendable on its own and no doubt sets the bar very high for future anime TV series. But that’s not the real reason why Fate/Zero is such a compelling series. It’s the storytelling that really sets Fate/Zero apart from both its predecessor (Fate/Stay Night) as well other anime series. There is as much exposition in this series as there are action sequences and unlike say a show about a certain magical index, Fate/Zero manages to make its exposition interesting and informative. The show features many complex characters and an intricate plot that includes both political and historical intrigue all set in a world of mages and heroic spirits. It has an ensemble cast of characters that are interesting in their own ways. The relationships between the masters and their servants and between the servants themselves are handled exceptionally well. What I’m left with after its mid-season cliffhanger ending is a feeling of incredible anticipation: I can’t wait until April, when the series resumes once again.

AnoHana (aka We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day) is a show that is tough for me to criticize. On the one hand, it had an exceptional start with a premise that had incredible storytelling as well as psychological potential. Yet as the series progressed it ended up squandering a lot of that potential with some poor conceived plot devices, and story-telling kinks that turned what could have been a truly steller series into just a good series. This is not to say I didn’t enjoy it. I certainly did (hence its place on my top ten list), and it’s pretty clear that A-1 Pictures wasn’t trying to make that series. It was going for something simpler, and more straightforward. This is a show about friendship, about loss, about growing up and ultimately about life itself. By the end of the series, it’s pretty clear that that’s all the creators wanted the show to be. This is not meant to be a reimagining of the genre, nor a deep exploration of the human condition. Still, as much as I enjoyed this series, I can’t help but shake the feeling that this could have been much more than what it turned out to be. Is that a valid criticism? Perhaps so, perhaps not, but this had the potential to be the best series of the year and it’s a little unfortunate that A-1 didn’t seem to be ambitious enough to aim for such a high goal.

I really liked Steins;Gate. It’s again one of those shows that is not immediately compelling but grows on you week by week. It’s impressive both visually and intellectually and one of the best visual novel adaptations I’ve ever seen. Combining an outstanding visual presentation with some of the best writing I’ve seen in years, Steins;Gate is a great anime is pretty much every way. The writing staff in particular really did an outstanding job with the story and the dialogue, which was at times hilariously entertaining, and at times intellectually stimulating. Okabe is one of the best characters ever conceived and Mamaru Miyano portrays him perfectly with all of his eccentricities. The rest of the cast deserves praise as well but Miyano just nailed Okabe’s dark, insecure, egomaniacal inner self so well with arguably one of the best performances of the year. I must also commend White Fox for doing such a great job of adapting such a complex visual novel. Adapting visual novels is not an easy prospect and the fact that White Fox did it so well puts them in the same league as KyoAni and SHAFT, not bad for a relatively rookie production studio. There were a lot of shows that I enjoyed watching this year, but in the end Steins; Gate was the one that I not only enjoyed the most, but also felt the most complete. That said, some people might be turned off by the somewhat slow start in the first few episodes, but if you keep with it, you’ll be rewarded with one of the smartest and funniest anime series in a long time.

Honorable Mentions (aka the other list of ten):

• Working'!! for showing us that despite the title, the employees of Wagnaria don't seem to do much work.
  • Shinryaku!? Ika Musume for bringing back our favorite squid girl
  • Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? for perhaps the most amazing/disturbing transformation sequence in the history of anime
  • Shakugan no Shana Finale for making Shana awesome again (but unfortunately was not eligible for the list)
  • STAR DRIVER for being so damn fabulous
  • To Aru Majutsu no Index II for rivaling Penguindrum in its ability to be utterly incomprehensible
  • Hanasaku Iroha for giving us one of my favorite female protagonists in recent memory
  • Level E for the amazing sarcasm and endless trolling
  • Freezing for demonstrating that gratuitous fan service and quality anime are not mutually exclusive terms
  • Deadman's Wonderland for its refreshing demented characters and crazy premise/setting.

The winter 2012 anime season has already begun so here's to another great year of anime! And with that, this blog post comes to an end. I'll leave you with this:

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By spazmaster666

So it's time again. That's right, it's time for yet another anime blog post. Usually I would post some sort of award list/blog but this year I didn't watch as much anime as I normally do. Not to mention, I really didn't want to do one. Instead, I'll post about my ten favorite anime of the year. Only anime that have finished airing in 2011 will qualify, (with one notable exception which I will mention during the top ten list). Note this is what I feel were the anime I enjoyed most this year, not necessarily the best or the highest quality series of the year. Also note that this isn't really a ranked list, with the exception of #1 which is my favorite anime of the year. Anyway, let's get on with it.

Nichijou (aka My Ordinary Life) is one of those love it or hate it shows, as is the case with many comedies. Its humor is a combination of puns, slapstick, satire, and at times, downright weirdness. However, I'm absolutely a fan of weird shows like this and Nichijou manages to deliver the goods pretty much every week. Whether it's Mai's constant trolling of Yuuko or the Professor's hilarious interactions with Nano, the show delivers humor that is both smart and endearing. I didn't laugh out loud as much as I would have expected but I enjoyed pretty much every episode. There's something that should be said for shows that aren't afraid to be as downright crazy or as ridiculous as Nichijou can be at times (and let me tell it can get pretty crazy) both when it comes to the situations depicted or the animation itself. Speaking of which, I have to give props to KyoAni for yet another excellent adaptation. I'm not sure another anime studio could have pulled this show off as well as KyoAni did, and for that I can almost forgive them for only having one show last year. ;)

There's nothing particular original or innovative about Infinite Stratos, but it's combination of intense mecha battles and high school romantic comedy is certainly effective. The show is, for the most part, a harem anime but while the various heroines follow typical anime tropes, each has a distinct personality and end up being quite likeable. Seeing them fight over the affections of denser than lead Ichika is more often hilarious than not and when combined with the action sequences, makes for some fun times. The strong voice cast, good (for the most part) animation and attractive character designs makes this a successful debut for 8-bit (at least as the primary production house). However, if you're looking purely for an action/mecha series, this is not for you as while the action itself is fine, there isn't really much plot development along those lines as the anime is, at heart, a romantic comedy and is character driven rather than story-driven (I do think however that there is plenty of good setup for possible sequels in the future)

Ao no Exorcist (aka Blue Exorcist) is another of those shows that doesn't try to be innovative or particularly original. It knows what it is (a shounen series) and it executes that very well. In many ways it's a throwback to the classic shounen of a bygone era. As a big fan of those shounen series, I really enjoyed my time with Ao no Exorcist and would really love to see a sequel in the future. The plot is pretty straightforward, the voice acting is solid, the action is well animated and the characters are quite likable. There really isn't much else that needs to be said. Though Ao no Exorcist certainly cannot stand up to a lot of the shows this year in terms of impact or creativity, it proves that traditional shounen series can still be entertaining in this day and age and that, ironically, is actually quite refreshing.

Almost completely in contrast to the previous entry, Mawaru Penguindrum is the definition of innovation and originality. A thought-provoking, fascinating, and truly unique series, Mawaru Penguindrum demonstrates what anime, as a storytelling medium, can accomplish. While the complex storytelling is far from perfect and ultimately does not conclude in a satisfying way (and is often difficult to follow), it has definitely given me a greater appreciation of what multi-faceted storytelling can bring to this medium. It's also a deeply symbolic series, so for those who can appreciate and follow the symbolic undercurrents of the series, there are a lot of things to think about and ponder over. However, symbolism is usually tough to pull of and while Penguindrum does it better than a lot of other shows, it can still be difficult to grasp, which is a shame because I felt that it really allowed me to appreciate the show on a much deeper level. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this show as much as I would have expected, but as with all high-concept series, Penguindrum is more meant to be appreciated than necessarily enjoyed simply as a piece of entertainment. Now, I'm usually the type of guy who cares more about a show's entertainment value than necessarily its critical or artistic merits, but I must admit that Penguindrum is definitely an exception and should not be missed for anyone who wants to see more out of this medium than tired character tropes or recycled plot premises. I've gotta give props to Brain's Base for once again creating something that few production houses could (hope to) deliver.

I will admit that I was not immediately drawn to GOSICK. It has an atypical and interesting premise and an unusual setting (for an anime at least) but has sort of slow burn in the initial few episodes. The plot however, definitely picks up and goes in directions that I certainly didn't expect (especially from what I thought was just a mystery series), and ended up becoming the show I looked forward to the most each week. What really impressed me about GOSICK was how well BONES nailed the setting. The world of GOSICK is utterly convincing, despite it taking place in a fictional country with a somewhat alternative take on history. The relationship between Victorique and Kazuya is also one of the best I've seen in recent history (though I will admit that it doesn't develop as well as I hoped by the end). GOSICK is as much a series about Victorique and Kazuya's growing relationship as it is a mystery/thriller with occult themes and historical undercurrents. The setting and the mystery elements are certainly very interesting, but It's the story and Victorique and Kazuya's relationship that ultimately makes the show so engaging from week to week, leading up to a touching, and emotionally resonant (though somewhat rushed) ending. The animation, artwork, and character designs were superb as well (not surprising for BONES) and the music is also fantastic. I just wish BONES had more episodes to flesh out the story and some of the minor characters as GOSICK definitely felt cramped within its 24-episodes, and that is really my only major gripe with the series.

Usagi Drop is unlike a lot of the other anime airing these days in that it’s not crazy, fan-service laden, action-packed, or a haremesque romcom, but a touching slice-of-life drama about a 30-something guy and his newly adopted daughter. There’s something to be said for a show that relies entirely on the strength of its story and characters rather than on some overused gimmick. I won’t argue about how “realistic” the show is because at the end of the day, it’s still fiction, and fiction is rarely realistic. However, Usagi Drop is one of the few shows in recent memory that just puts a smile on my face every time I sit down to watch it. It is slowly paced and because of its one-season run, a lot of plot threads are left hanging, and a lot of the minor characters are left undeveloped, but it still manages to leave a very memorable impression. There’s a purity here that few shows have, and emotional resonance that few shows can elicit. This is a shining example of the power of subtlety in storytelling, something that a lot of anime these days lack.

There’s been a lot of praise thrown up for Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and to a certain extent it’s worthy of that praise. It’s a show that turns the “magical girl” genre upside down. It’s a refreshing departure from what has become one of the most prolific anime tropes. SHAFT is not known for original stories, but it has crafted one here that is compelling, unorthodox, and also highly entertaining. It’s a show that leaves you at the edge of your seat week by week, enthralling you with each twist and turn in the story. This is also not a happy show either. There is no true “happy ending” in the world of Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The darker tone works wonders here and adds a great contrast to the show’s lighter moments. Ultimately the show’s greatest strength is its focus on the humanity of its heroines, rather than their fantastical alter egos. It’s as much an exploration of human nature as it is a show about ordinary high school girls who transform into mahou shoujo. Puella Magi Madoka Magica does a great job of demonstrating the somewhat cruel fate the heroines are thrust into as well as the consequences that result from committing to a life of fighting evil in the name of “justice.” Its reinvention of a genre is something that is sorely lacking in a lot of the anime that are being made these days and other studios can certainly learn from what SHAFT has managed to accomplish here.

Okay, technically speaking Fate/Zero has only aired half of its episodes, but since this series is being split into two seasons (similar to Code Geass or Gundam 00), I feel it’s justified include this in my 2011 top ten list. Anyway, with that caveat in mind, Fate/Zero managed to impress me week in and week out with fantastic animation, superb exposition, and compelling characters. What Ufotable has done with the animation, especially the exquisitely detailed action sequences, is commendable on its own and no doubt sets the bar very high for future anime TV series. But that’s not the real reason why Fate/Zero is such a compelling series. It’s the storytelling that really sets Fate/Zero apart from both its predecessor (Fate/Stay Night) as well other anime series. There is as much exposition in this series as there are action sequences and unlike say a show about a certain magical index, Fate/Zero manages to make its exposition interesting and informative. The show features many complex characters and an intricate plot that includes both political and historical intrigue all set in a world of mages and heroic spirits. It has an ensemble cast of characters that are interesting in their own ways. The relationships between the masters and their servants and between the servants themselves are handled exceptionally well. What I’m left with after its mid-season cliffhanger ending is a feeling of incredible anticipation: I can’t wait until April, when the series resumes once again.

AnoHana (aka We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day) is a show that is tough for me to criticize. On the one hand, it had an exceptional start with a premise that had incredible storytelling as well as psychological potential. Yet as the series progressed it ended up squandering a lot of that potential with some poor conceived plot devices, and story-telling kinks that turned what could have been a truly steller series into just a good series. This is not to say I didn’t enjoy it. I certainly did (hence its place on my top ten list), and it’s pretty clear that A-1 Pictures wasn’t trying to make that series. It was going for something simpler, and more straightforward. This is a show about friendship, about loss, about growing up and ultimately about life itself. By the end of the series, it’s pretty clear that that’s all the creators wanted the show to be. This is not meant to be a reimagining of the genre, nor a deep exploration of the human condition. Still, as much as I enjoyed this series, I can’t help but shake the feeling that this could have been much more than what it turned out to be. Is that a valid criticism? Perhaps so, perhaps not, but this had the potential to be the best series of the year and it’s a little unfortunate that A-1 didn’t seem to be ambitious enough to aim for such a high goal.

I really liked Steins;Gate. It’s again one of those shows that is not immediately compelling but grows on you week by week. It’s impressive both visually and intellectually and one of the best visual novel adaptations I’ve ever seen. Combining an outstanding visual presentation with some of the best writing I’ve seen in years, Steins;Gate is a great anime is pretty much every way. The writing staff in particular really did an outstanding job with the story and the dialogue, which was at times hilariously entertaining, and at times intellectually stimulating. Okabe is one of the best characters ever conceived and Mamaru Miyano portrays him perfectly with all of his eccentricities. The rest of the cast deserves praise as well but Miyano just nailed Okabe’s dark, insecure, egomaniacal inner self so well with arguably one of the best performances of the year. I must also commend White Fox for doing such a great job of adapting such a complex visual novel. Adapting visual novels is not an easy prospect and the fact that White Fox did it so well puts them in the same league as KyoAni and SHAFT, not bad for a relatively rookie production studio. There were a lot of shows that I enjoyed watching this year, but in the end Steins; Gate was the one that I not only enjoyed the most, but also felt the most complete. That said, some people might be turned off by the somewhat slow start in the first few episodes, but if you keep with it, you’ll be rewarded with one of the smartest and funniest anime series in a long time.

Honorable Mentions (aka the other list of ten):

• Working'!! for showing us that despite the title, the employees of Wagnaria don't seem to do much work.
  • Shinryaku!? Ika Musume for bringing back our favorite squid girl
  • Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? for perhaps the most amazing/disturbing transformation sequence in the history of anime
  • Shakugan no Shana Finale for making Shana awesome again (but unfortunately was not eligible for the list)
  • STAR DRIVER for being so damn fabulous
  • To Aru Majutsu no Index II for rivaling Penguindrum in its ability to be utterly incomprehensible
  • Hanasaku Iroha for giving us one of my favorite female protagonists in recent memory
  • Level E for the amazing sarcasm and endless trolling
  • Freezing for demonstrating that gratuitous fan service and quality anime are not mutually exclusive terms
  • Deadman's Wonderland for its refreshing demented characters and crazy premise/setting.

The winter 2012 anime season has already begun so here's to another great year of anime! And with that, this blog post comes to an end. I'll leave you with this:

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I need somthing to watch. Can you give me an idea? I love mech battles and fast action. LOVED The gundam animes and Code Gease 

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By ESREVER

Yup, Gosick and Ano Hana. Tis a good list. Need to get around to Steins;Gate...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

How many of these are based on visual novels? I can spot at least two that give it away.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spazmaster666

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I need somthing to watch. Can you give me an idea? I love mech battles and fast action. LOVED The gundam animes and Code Gease

Do you want something that came out this year or just recently?

Some relatively recent titles to consider if you haven't already seen these:

Those are the ones that come to mind.

@Video_Game_King said:

How many of these are based on visual novels? I can spot at least two that give it away.

Just Steins;Gate. Fate/Zero, Infinite Stratos, GOSICK, are based on a light novels. Nichijou, Usagi Drop, and Ao no Exorcist are based on manga. Mawaru Penguindrum, Puella Magi Madoka Magicka, and Ano Hana are original series.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@spazmaster666 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

IT does not even ahve to be recent. As long as its subbed and I can read it ill be happy. I want action mechs and sci fi (I love ghost in the shell)  

And I saw Gurren Lagann. Kinda upset me. 
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

I find myself watching less and less anime every year. I love action/drama anime but I just don't want to sit through hours of poorly-written stories about cliche' characters. I was initially intrigued by anime because the fight scenes were way better than most western action cartoons (besides X-Men, of course). I guess I became cynical during my journey of sifting through garbage to find something of substance.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Steins;Gate at number one? This is a fantastic list. Seriously though, out of all the shows I watched last year, Steins;Gate is definitely my number one as well.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spazmaster666

@The_Laughing_Man said:

IT does not even ahve to be recent. As long as its subbed and I can read it ill be happy. I want action mechs and sci fi (I love ghost in the shell)

Well, sci-fi is gonna be a huge list. I would suggest going to Myanimelist.net and search under Sci-Fi and then sort by average score. Here's the link.

@BraveToaster said:

I find myself watching less and less anime every year. I love action/drama anime but I just don't want to sit through hours of poorly-written stories about cliche' characters. I was initially intrigued by anime because the fight scenes were way better than most western action cartoons (besides X-Men, of course). I guess I became cynical during my journey of sifting through garbage to find something of substance.

There are actually quite a few titles on my list that fit the kind of anime I think you would be interested in: AnoHana, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, GOSICK, Usagi Drop, and Hanasaku Iroha.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, really? Only one? I thought for sure that Fate/Zero and that long-ass sentence one were based on visual novels. Hell, I can't even name any other medium that revels in long-ass sentence titles.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikeGosot

After playing Kenka Bancho all day, i really want to see an anime about people in High School KICKING ASS! I don't like anime very much. I like weird art styles (Dead Leaves.) and action scenes (Redline, Afro Samurai.)... Also, Steins;Gate is really cool. 

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeforgotten
@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, really? Only one? I thought for sure that Fate/Zero and that long-ass sentence one were based on visual novels. Hell, I can't even name any other medium that revels in long-ass sentence titles.

Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Juice in the Hood 

But I guess that's really about it for movies... hmm
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MikeGosot:

Durarara is close enough, since it ends with a high school kid getting a tire iron to the face. (If you haven't realized it, yet, I've only watched two anime that weren't Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon or the like.)

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By spazmaster666

@Video_Game_King said:

Yeah, 2011 was actually a pretty good year for original anime. Also, to be fair, AnoHana has a pretty ridiculously long name even for an anime.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Animasta

Only anime I watched this year was, well, Persona 4 (because I love atlus) and Hourou Musuko (because, well, it was portrayed to me as a decent portrayal of trans issues and I will take anything I can get). I'd watch more but honestly I don't care about action, I hate harem anything, and I prefer manga to anime anyway, since i like reading more than watching things. maybe I should watch more though...

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's an entire sentence, and a long one. I can imagine Japanese viewers yelling, "その糞を切り除けなさい!" (Or something like that.)

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spazmaster666

@Animasta said:

Only anime I watched this year was, well, Persona 4 (because I love atlus) and Hourou Musuko (because, well, it was portrayed to me as a decent portrayal of trans issues and I will take anything I can get). I'd watch more but honestly I don't care about action, I hate harem anything, and I prefer manga to anime anyway, since i like reading more than watching things. maybe I should watch more though...

I tried getting into the Persona 4 anime, but found it difficult. I would say that Aniplex is doing as good of a job adapting it as anyone probably could but I just don't find it to be a very compelling anime.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Animasta

@spazmaster666: fair, I'd probably not watch it if I didn't love persona 4 anyway, I'm using it to gain more information about the game world, if that makes sense.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten
@Animasta said:

@spazmaster666: fair, I'd probably not watch it if I didn't love persona 4 anyway, I'm using it to gain more information about the game world, if that makes sense.

I think I would still like it a lot even if I hadn't already played Persona 4 a bunch. 
But having played P4 many times the Anime is just better. I loved Ep 13!!!...

Nanako is the best!  

'Ahem'... sorry about that
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By spazmaster666

@ZeForgotten said:

I think I would still like it a lot even if I hadn't already played Persona 4 a bunch. But having played P4 many times the Anime is just better. I loved Ep 13!!!... Nanako is the best! 'Ahem'... sorry about that

I think my issue with the show are the fight sequences. The battles are fun in-game, but are difficult to translate into compelling animation (though they are better than they were in Trinity Soul). There are some pretty intense battles in the game, but that intensity doesn't seem to exist in the anime.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By PixelPrinny

Well-written blog and a fairly by-the-numbers list. That's not to say it's a bad list by any means, just that (imo) it was fairly slim pickings this year for top 10 material and Steins;Gate sorta blew everything else out of the water. Though I think my personal favorite would have been Iroha, but I'm a sucker for those kind of slice of life stories and I'm happy to admit the show didn't really do anything new (it did look pretty as hell, though). AnoHana was enjoyable overall but Menma really rubbed me the wrong way at times and I just couldn't develop the sort of attachment to her that the writers were trying to go for.

I do disagree with Madoka though, as that's one of those stories where the answer is staring the characters right in the face from the very beginning and I could not believe that they were so stupid as to not just think of the obvious answer from right away. "So why don't I just wish that you find another planet to get your power from?" or "Why don't I just wish your problem is solved in some other form?" or hell, "Why don't I just wish that none of this witch nonsense ever happened and never -will- happen?" Sure, they could have rationalized it all away, but they could have at least addressed the elephant in the room long before the finale. Hell the show ends up using pretty much a deus ex machina ending anyways which just ended up being like, "So this all could have been over in 5 minutes had the character had any amount of brains. Great." But to each there own.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zeforgotten
@spazmaster666 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

I think I would still like it a lot even if I hadn't already played Persona 4 a bunch. But having played P4 many times the Anime is just better. I loved Ep 13!!!... Nanako is the best! 'Ahem'... sorry about that

I think my issue with the show are the fight sequences. The battles are fun in-game, but are difficult to translate into compelling animation (though they are better than they were in Trinity Soul). There are some pretty intense battles in the game, but that intensity doesn't seem to exist in the anime.

That would be one of the things I kinda dislike about the anime too, the fights. I do understand that they can't make it like the games though but it wouldn't hurt a lot to make them at least longer in the anime.  
Not DBZ long where it lasts for a gazillion episodes but more than 45 seconds to 1 minute long at least. 
hermberger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By hermberger

You are all jerks. This is a proven fact.

;)

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CaptainCody

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@spazmaster666 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

IT does not even ahve to be recent. As long as its subbed and I can read it ill be happy. I want action mechs and sci fi (I love ghost in the shell) And I saw Gurren Lagann. Kinda upset me.

Gurren Lagann is the best anime in the universe, please elaborate.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@spazmaster666 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

IT does not even ahve to be recent. As long as its subbed and I can read it ill be happy. I want action mechs and sci fi (I love ghost in the shell) And I saw Gurren Lagann. Kinda upset me.

He worked so hard to save his wife. And all for not. 
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By spazmaster666

@PixelPrinny said:

Well-written blog and a fairly by-the-numbers list. That's not to say it's a bad list by any means, just that (imo) it was fairly slim pickings this year for top 10 material and Steins;Gate sorta blew everything else out of the water. Though I think my personal favorite would have been Iroha, but I'm a sucker for those kind of slice of life stories and I'm happy to admit the show didn't really do anything new (it did look pretty as hell, though). AnoHana was enjoyable overall but Menma really rubbed me the wrong way at times and I just couldn't develop the sort of attachment to her that the writers were trying to go for.

I do disagree with Madoka though, as that's one of those stories where the answer is staring the characters right in the face from the very beginning and I could not believe that they were so stupid as to not just think of the obvious answer from right away. "So why don't I just wish that you find another planet to get your power from?" or "Why don't I just wish your problem is solved in some other form?" or hell, "Why don't I just wish that none of this witch nonsense ever happened and never -will- happen?" Sure, they could have rationalized it all away, but they could have at least addressed the elephant in the room long before the finale. Hell the show ends up using pretty much a deus ex machina ending anyways which just ended up being like, "So this all could have been over in 5 minutes had the character had any amount of brains. Great." But to each there own.

I would agree that Madoka has a lot of flaws but in the end I enjoyed it because SHAFT kinda turns the genre upside down and then upside down again so that in the end you basically get your typical mahou shoujo message about "hopes and dreams." I wouldn't necessarily agree that there were slim pickings last year, just not a lot of shows that really stood out. I also think that 2011 was a particular good year for scripted live action TV (i.e. Games of Thrones, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Jade Palace Lock Hearts, JIN 2 etc.) which to me overshadowed a lot of the anime last year.

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Yeah, that wedding scene is pretty heartbreaking, but for Simon to revive Nia, he would basically be stooping down to the same level as the anti-spirals (hence why he didn't revive Kamina either).

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BraveToaster

@spazmaster666 said:

@BraveToaster said:

There are actually quite a few titles on my list that fit the kind of anime I think you would be interested in: AnoHana, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, GOSICK, Usagi Drop, and Hanasaku Iroha.

Thanks for the reply, I'll start with AnoHana. I might PM you every now and then for some more recommendations.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Bocam

@The_Laughing_Man: Watch the movie if you want them to have a happy end.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Bocam said:

@The_Laughing_Man: Watch the movie if you want them to have a happy end.

Was not even aware there was a movie 
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By spazmaster666

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Was not even aware there was a movie

It's just a couple of compilation films that have some new animation/additional scenes and a slightly alternate ending. However, what happens to Nia at the end is the same.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bocam

@spazmaster666: I thought the ending was different. My bad

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Devoid

I should probably watch Steins;Gate. Though it can wait until I stop drowning in a sea of Gundam series I still need to watch. Or can it? I need convincing.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CaptainCody

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@CaptainCody said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@spazmaster666 said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

I suppose I can see what you mean, in perspective it was something that made sense as a decision and created a better overarching story. It comes down to our desires for complete closure in a genre that is so riddle with half-endings.

On the other hand this thread interested me in going through a few more animes, I fell off a again after watching through the latter half of Yu Yu Hakusho which I had really only seen through most of the Toguro Saga, it was a nice spark but since has made me realise that finding a good anime that I know actually ends is difficult.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MikeGosot
@Video_Game_King said:

@MikeGosot:

Durarara is close enough, since it ends with a high school kid getting a tire iron to the face. (If you haven't realized it, yet, I've only watched two anime that weren't Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon or the like.)

Oh, i don't watch anime very much too. There many animes i can't stand. MANY, many animes. But back in the day, i used to love mangas, Beelzebub, Franken Fran, Mysterious Girlfriend X, etc.
Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cloudenvy

Disagree with some of the list, I personally found Steins;Gate incredibly underwhelming though that is mostly because of my hatred for most of the cast. : )

Don't really have a problem with any of the others though I would've placed Usagi Drop at number 1 and I would've put Hanasaku Iroha in there somewhere. : )

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By spazmaster666

@Cloudenvy said:

Disagree with some of the list, I personally found Steins;Gate incredibly underwhelming though that is mostly because of my hatred for most of the cast. : )

Don't really have a problem with any of the others though I would've placed Usagi Drop at number 1 and I would've put Hanasaku Iroha in there somewhere. : )

Iroha probably would have made it if it was a list of 11. Like I said in the blog, Ohana is one of my all time favorite female protagonists.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cloudenvy

@spazmaster666 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

Iroha probably would have made it if it was a list of 11. Like I said in the blog, Ohana is one of my all time favorite female protagonists.

So it's like the Giant Bomb GOTY stuff where everything that didn't make your list is number 11? ; )

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By spazmaster666

@Cloudenvy said:

So it's like the Giant Bomb GOTY stuff where everything that didn't make your list is number 11? ; )

No, more like I was debating between Hanasaku Iroha, Nichijou, and Deadman's Wonderland for the #10 spot, while the other 9 spots were pretty much locks. ;)

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cloudenvy

@spazmaster666 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

No, more like I was debating between Hanasaku Iroha, Nichijou, and Deadman's Wonderland for the #10 spot, while the other 9 spots were pretty much locks. ;)

: ( that's no fun!

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Daroki

@The_Laughing_Man said:

If you liked Code Geass, than Guilty Crown would love a few minutes of your time since it might give you a case of deja vu.

Still amazed at how good in retrospect that 2011 was for anime. When we did the top 5 for Anime Vice's voting, I was trying to find a way to put four or five anime in that fifth slot before settling on a show you didn't even have on your list or mentions (Chihayafuru) over Wandering Son, Fate/Zero, Hanasaku Iroha, and AnoHana.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I may not like anime, but I will say that's some great image design!

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By spazmaster666

@Daroki said:

If you liked Code Geass, than Guilty Crown would love a few minutes of your time since it might give you a case of deja vu.

Still amazed at how good in retrospect that 2011 was for anime. When we did the top 5 for Anime Vice's voting, I was trying to find a way to put four or five anime in that fifth slot before settling on a show you didn't even have on your list or mentions (Chihayafuru) over Wandering Son, Fate/Zero, Hanasaku Iroha, and AnoHana.

Guilty Crown is wildly uneven though. With Code Geass, at least it goes into the "awesome trainwreck" or "so bad it's good" territory pretty much consistently (especially R2). But Guilty Crown just has some really bad, nonsensical episodes and then some really good ones. Also Chihayafuru doesn't qualify because it won't finish airing until 2012, and it's not a split season (like Fate/Zero is). Even if it did I don't think it would have beaten Nichijou or Hanasaku Iroha for the #10 spot.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vexxan

Yep, despite its slow start Steins;Gate's pretty damn good.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bocam

@spazmaster666: With it's latest episode, Guilty Crown has surpassed Code Geass with how "bad" it is.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By spazmaster666

@Bocam said:

@spazmaster666: With it's latest episode, Guilty Crown has surpassed Code Geass with how "bad" it is.

I actually liked episode 12. I felt it was a pretty good conclusion to this arc (which has had some pretty uneven episodes so far). And much better than that freakin' recap episode last week.

As for Code Geass, I dunno, I don't think its possible for any anime to top the epic trainwreck called "R2". If it were to happen one day, you can bet that Sunrise is the studio behind it.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Congrats on making a list of 10. I seriously couldn't even find 10 series I enjoyed last year.

My favorite of 2011 was probably the second season of Kaiji. Ano Hana and Usagi Drop would probably be up there too.

Oh yeah, and of course I can't forget Persona 4.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By takashichea

Blue Exorcist was a good anime in the beginning, but it went downhill a bit at the ending. I did enjoy the 1st two episodes the best.

It's nice to see someone enjoying Gosick. I never knew that crime and mystery anime turned to such a romantic story. The first few episodes were hard for people to get into it.

Interestingly, Puella Magi Madoka Magica made the 1st place on Anime Vice's top anime of 2011.

You could also try RahXephon. It's has breathtaking visuals, great story and unexpected twist, and deep symbolic elements into it.

Edit:

Link to Anime Vice's News Top 2011 Anime

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Daroki said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Chihayafuru continues to be preeeetty damn good, rarely do you see a show about a traditional Japanese card game have a thousand times more tension than actual battle anime.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By Lemmycaution217

@Cloudenvy said:

@Daroki said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Chihayafuru continues to be preeeetty damn good, rarely do you see a show about a traditional Japanese card game have a thousand times more tension than actual battle anime.

Thanks for confirming that for me. I stopped watching the series after a while but now I think I will get back into it since the new anime season does not seem too spectacular.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Rudeboy217 said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@Daroki said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Thanks for confirming that for me. I stopped watching the series after a while but now I think I will get back into it since the new anime season does not seem too spectacular.

HOW DARE YOU!

(this season contains 2 sequels I've been dying to watch) : (

I wasn't a big fan of Chihayafuru's childhood arc, but I like pretty much everything that came after that.