#1 Posted by Turambar (6895 posts) -
#2 Edited by Animasta (14723 posts) -

how many people argued that more people should carry guns so this type of shit wouldn't happen?

because this is the wrong opinion

also glad that nobody died, dying kinda sucks after all

#3 Posted by Turambar (6895 posts) -
@Animasta said:

how many people argued that more people should carry guns so this type of shit wouldn't happen?

because this is the wrong opinion

also glad that nobody died, dying kinda sucks after all

Actually, one did die.
#4 Posted by haffy (674 posts) -
Police Chief Tim McKenna said authorities "have a lot of homework to do yet"

Uhh, so distasteful.

Pretty horrible hearing about school shootings, hope the 4 wounded get better soon.

#5 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

I will never understand how someone can defend possession of guns in this day.

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I heard about it this morning. Yeah, it sucks.

#7 Edited by Questionable (619 posts) -

Gee America? what a suprise.

Must be all dem Halo's and fox news.

#8 Posted by eugenesaxe (199 posts) -

@MasturbatingestBear said:

"I have a right as guaranteed by the Constitution!"

Never mind the fact your "rights" are based on a 220+ year old document that's hopelessly out-of-touch with 21st century reality.

Never mind the fact the Constitution's been amended many times, like letting ladies vote, and starting/stopping Prohibition.

Here's the kicker: I love engaging gun nuts on this topic. I once posted: Give me one common-sense reason to not tighten gun laws, and you can't use the Constitution. I got exactly zero replies. Pretty much says it all.

#9 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

@haffy said:

Police Chief Tim McKenna said authorities "have a lot of homework to do yet"

Uhh, so distasteful.

Pretty horrible hearing about school shootings, hope the 4 wounded get better soon.

I was looking at that too. I hope that wasn't intentional.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (15152 posts) -

@Animasta: The argument isn't that it "wouldn't happen" but if there were personnel who had access to firearms the shooter could be gunned down and lives saved. If only the shooter has a gun more people are going to die before he is stopped. People are going to have guns regardless. The only way to defend yourself from guns is with guns. Fight fire with fire and all that jazz.

#11 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

No point in posting this here, you'll just get a bunch of asshole responses.

#12 Edited by MonetaryDread (2176 posts) -

@coakroach said:

I dont know why these discussions always revolve around gun control law.

I want to know why a teenager entered such a disturbed mental state that he decided that his best option was to go on a murder spree at his own high school.

This is the right question to ask at this point in time. Guns aren't capable of killing people without interference from a human being. Plus, how did that kid get a hold of the gun? Did his parents let him take it? Why wasn't there a lock over the trigger? How did he come across the ammo? How did he sneak a gun into the school to begin with?

Easy. I like to hunt instead of paying for grossly overpriced meat from the supermarket. At the local meat shop a 6 ounce steak of White Tailed Elk costs almost $10, I hunted one myself, took it to a butcher, and then I had something like 80 pounds of meat in my freezer.

Plus, eating meat that you hunted yourself just makes you feel more satisfied, it is like it triggers some primal response hidden in our monkey - hunter-gatherer DNA.

Then you have to look at the societal reasons as to why there are so many deaths. In the USA there were 10.27 firearm related deaths per 100,000 citizens and 4.4 of those were homicides. Yet in Canada ( a nation with a higher percentage of gun owners), there were 4.78 gun deaths per 100,000 citizens and .78 of those were homicides. Most other gun deaths in both nations were suicides, and those people were probably going to kill themselves anyways, guns were just the method they chose.

#13 Posted by DarthOrange (3895 posts) -
@Questionable said:

yea! and their footballs and their greasy hamburgers!
#14 Posted by MikeHawk (382 posts) -

Chardon high school is about an hour and a half from my hometown. It's a shame that kids still do stuff like this. Due to the inevitable vidya games connections that my local news stations will make, I would request that this board be moved to the general discussion forum >_>

#15 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -
@PeasantAbuse

I like you.
#16 Posted by supermonkey122 (874 posts) -

So how long until this is blamed on video games?

#17 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

People fucking suck

#18 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

I want to know why a teenager entered such a disturbed mental state that he decided that his best option was to go on a murder spree at his own high school.

#19 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

@MonetaryDread said:

Easy. I like to hunt instead of paying for grossly overpriced meat from the supermarket. At the local meat shop a 6 ounce steak of White Tailed Elk costs almost $10, I hunted one myself, took it to a butcher, and then I had something like 80 pounds of meat in my freezer.

Plus, meat that you hunted yourself just makes you feel more satisfied, it is like it triggers some primal response hidden in our monkey - hunter-gatherer DNA.

I don't get into gun ownership arguments, but owning a rifle for hunting is a lot different than a handgun (which is what I'm assuming was used.)

#20 Posted by Turambar (6895 posts) -
@Questionable said:

No such reactions currently, and thankfully.  The blame has been placed mostly on bullying.  It was kind of painfully ironic that the semester goal of my school was anti-bullying while the theme of the homeroom discussion was anger management.
#21 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

@PeasantAbuse

I like you.

Thanx

#22 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

I think such easy access to guns in America has to be the issue. The only shootings in Australia that I hear about are bikie gang/mafia related killings.

#23 Posted by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

Oy, I hate how these threads always devolve into gun hatred and then into crappy arguments from both sides. Shame about the shooting, though.

#24 Edited by MonetaryDread (2176 posts) -

@benjaebe said:

@MonetaryDread said:

Plus, meat that you hunted yourself just makes you feel more satisfied, it is like it triggers some primal response hidden in our monkey - hunter-gatherer DNA.

I don't get into gun ownership arguments, but owning a rifle for hunting is a lot different than a handgun (which is what I'm assuming was used.)

Yup, there is a difference. It is a lot harder to hit a target with a pistol. Though I admit that a handgun is easier to conceal, but then again, a sawed off .22 is pretty easy to conceal under a trench coat or bulky winter gear.

Edit; That previous post sounds kinda sounds dickish, but the reality about handguns is that I like to hike and spend time in the wilderness. With the amount of wildlife that can destroy you out there I feel more comfortable with a firearm and rifle can be heavy, cumbersome, and takes time to get ready. A handgun is light in comparison to a rifle, and is ready to shoot in half the time, so if I run into a mountain lion (the mountains where I live are lousy with em) I would like to be able to fire a warning shot to scare him away before I get jacked (mountain lions are sneaky, so by the time you have seen it the thing is already preparing to pounce on you).

#25 Posted by Aetheldod (3725 posts) -

What sad news .... I wont get into the gun control issue (my opinion wont matter anyway as Im not an US residents) , but there most be something very wrong in the school system (enviroment) of the US that prompts students into killing sprees so often.

#26 Posted by jking47 (1248 posts) -

@coakroach said:

This tbh, its the real issue at hand. Even if he could not get access to guns, its not hard to find/build something dangerous.

#27 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

What sad news .... I wont get into the gun control issue (my opinion wont matter anyway as Im not an US residents) , but there most be something very wrong in the school system (enviroment) of the US that prompts students into killing sprees so often.

So often? Looking at this listit's hardly that often. Sure it's unfortunate, but we don't have school shootings/suicides/killing sprees, even at a worldwide level, once a day. Reading a lot of these entries, guns weren't even involved, in some cases, excuse the poor word choice, they were more efficient with other means.

#28 Posted by Capum15 (4996 posts) -
@jking47 said:

@coakroach said:

This tbh, its the real issue at hand. Even if he could not get access to guns, its not hard to find/build something dangerous.

You don't even have to build anything, just grab a sturdy pen and start swinging.
#29 Posted by JeanLuc (3608 posts) -

Always sad to hear when something like this happens.

#30 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

pretty crazy.

one time somebody in my school brought a gun to school. one thing he was a dumbass who told people that he brought it there, he also was showing it off to people, and it ended up being fake. it was an airsoft hand gun with the orange part off. somebody ended up telling the principle and he caught the person with gun. he got expelled from the school, and he was black.

#31 Posted by Stonyman65 (2871 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@Animasta: The argument isn't that it "wouldn't happen" but if there were personnel who had access to firearms the shooter could be gunned down and lives saved. If only the shooter has a gun more people are going to die before he is stopped. People are going to have guns regardless. The only way to defend yourself from guns is with guns. Fight fire with fire and all that jazz.

And that is exactly why so many shootings and mass murders happen in Gun Free Zones or Weapon Free Zones - it's basically a sign that says "Come kill us, we can't do anything about it"

Try doing that shit in the middle of a Police station or a gun store where there are a shit load of armed people. Never happens. Why? Because the first person who tries something gets killed.

#32 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

This is why I won't live in a country where guns are so readily available, and this is actually a very minor incident compared to many in the past.

#33 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

I wonder what video game is to blame for this one.

#34 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3085 posts) -

I still like guns.

#35 Posted by Zacagawea (1613 posts) -

@iam3green said:

pretty crazy.

one time somebody in my school brought a gun to school. one thing he was a dumbass who told people that he brought it there, he also was showing it off to people, and it ended up being fake. it was an airsoft hand gun with the orange part off. somebody ended up telling the principle and he caught the person with gun. he got expelled from the school, and he was black.

Tell me how you really feel

#36 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@Stonyman65 said:

@Demoskinos said:

And that is exactly why so many shootings and mass murders happen in Gun Free Zones or Weapon Free Zones - it's basically a sign that says "Come kill us, we can't do anything about it"

Try doing that shit in the middle of a Police station or a gun store where there are a shit load of armed people. Never happens. Why? Because the first person who tries something gets killed.

Who the fuck would try to shoot up a police station.

#37 Posted by Stonyman65 (2871 posts) -

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Guns aren't the problem. People are.

Having access to liquor doesn't make you an alcoholic, you do by drinking that booze.

I've been around guns my whole life and I own a few. I was bullied in school too. I've never shot anyone or even thought about it even though I had the means to do it. That kid had problems, and the bottom line is that he was going to do what he wanted to do no matter if it was with a gun, a knife or a pen.

#38 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

First let me start off by saying this is sad new indeed. Kids should feel safe going to school.

now for the joke:

So how long tell it comes out he played minecraft and it made him a killer?

#39 Posted by Stonyman65 (2871 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Stonyman65 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Exactly. No one would because they know they wouldn't get the chance before they where killed. In a school where it is mostly helpless people, the aggressor can do what they want without fear of retaliation.

People that do there sort of things are cowards. They wouldn't dare to do it if they knew they wouldn't be successful.

#40 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

@Stonyman65 said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Stonyman65 said:

@Demoskinos said:

Exactly. No one would because they know they wouldn't get the chance before they where killed. In a school where it is mostly helpless people, the aggressor can do what they want without fear of retaliation.

People that do there sort of things are cowards. They wouldn't dare to do it if they knew they wouldn't be successful.

You seriously don't think anyone has done this that has come to terms with them probably dieing by the end of it? Plenty of these people assume they wont make it out alive and just want to cause destruction. So that is where gun control comes in handy.

#41 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@Stonyman65 said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Stonyman65 said:

@Demoskinos said:

So, we shouldn't ban guns because then people would shoot up places where people already don't have guns because they still don't have guns.

#43 Posted by Beforet (2934 posts) -

PEOPLE DIED, SO LET ME USE THIS CHANCE TO PIMP MY POLITICS!

#44 Posted by Stonyman65 (2871 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Stonyman65 said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Stonyman65 said:

@Demoskinos said:

So, we shouldn't ban guns because then people would shoot up places where people already don't have guns because they still don't have guns.

There will always be guns. If you want them bad enough, you will find a way to get them. Banning something doesn't mean that there will be less, in fact, banning guns will only make them that more valuable to people who want them - you think illegal guns are bad now, wait and see what will happen when the government tries to ban them. The black market will soar.

Once again, it's not so much the object being used but the person committing the act. He could have just as easily taken a kitchen knife from home and used that. Same results in the end.

#45 Posted by redefaulted (2829 posts) -

@Stonyman65 said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Guns aren't the problem. People are.

Having access to liquor doesn't make you an alcoholic, you do by drinking that booze.

I've been around guns my whole life and I own a few. I was bullied in school too. I've never shot anyone or even thought about it even though I had the means to do it. That kid had problems, and the bottom line is that he was going to do what he wanted to do no matter if it was with a gun, a knife or a pen.

Thank you sir for saying this. I have this weird problem that when people are ignorant (much like people with opposite opinions of this) my rebutle to their claims becomes muddled and full of typos.

#46 Posted by Demoskinos (15152 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Stonyman65 said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Stonyman65 said:

@Demoskinos said:

I'm not saying lets turn society back into the Wild Fucking West. There should be background checks and regulations for gun usage. Secondly, do some research. After Aulstraila's 1996 gun ban went into effect armed robberies rose 51%. After the 1997 ban in the UK handgun crime rose 40%. Overzealous gun control laws do little to nothing to stem the tide. And while its eyeroll worthy and pretty much cliche at this point the saying "If you outlaw guns only the outlaws will have guns" is pretty much true despite how cliche the saying has become.

And if you want some "Sources"

Straight from the BBC itself...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1440764.stm

#47 Posted by Milkman (17320 posts) -

Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns.
#48 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns.

You got me on that one. You got me on that one.

#49 Posted by Stonyman65 (2871 posts) -

@Stonyman65 said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Stonyman65 said:

@Demoskinos said:

You seriously don't think anyone has done this that has come to terms with them probably dieing by the end of it? Plenty of these people assume they wont make it out alive and just want to cause destruction. So that is where gun control comes in handy.

That's my point though, gun control doesn't work. There is plenty of gun control in the country and it hasn't done shit, in fact there is a pretty good argument that it has made things worse.

#50 Posted by Three0neFive (2304 posts) -

@Beforet said:

PEOPLE DIED, SO LET ME USE THIS CHANCE TO PIMP MY POLITICS!

YO, FUCK YOUR POLITICS!

JOIN MY POLITICS!