#1 Edited by AcidBrandon18 (764 posts) -

It's weird because I seem to be getting eyestrain more then usual lately. I've mainly been playing Don't Starve on my PS4 so maybe it's that? I've done long marathon sessions of videogames in the past and never really had much eyestrain. I was wondering how often you guys get it and what you do about it.

#2 Edited by slyspider (1289 posts) -

If im away from the screen on my ps4 then yes. But I play League of Legends on PC 6-8 hours a day when prepping for tournaments with no issue. This is also why I dont play on my ps4 that much.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Only under specific circumstances I don't wish to talk about.

#4 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1172 posts) -

My eyes are always bleeding.

#5 Posted by handlas (2700 posts) -

Maybe you need glasses....NERD!

Or, if you already do, perhaps your prescription is wrong. I went into my eye doctor after a year of wearing contacts that were too strong apparently. I complained of headaches and having trouble seeing up close despite being nearsighted. He lowered my prescription and all is well now. Thank goodness.

#6 Edited by AcidBrandon18 (764 posts) -

@handlas said:

Maybe you need glasses....NERD!

Or, if you already do, perhaps your prescription is wrong. I went into my eye doctor after a year of wearing contacts that were too strong apparently. I complained of headaches and having trouble seeing up close despite being nearsighted. He lowered my prescription and all is well now. Thank goodness.

Nope. No glasses or contacts. My vision seems fine.

#7 Posted by Flappy (2302 posts) -

Not at all.

#8 Edited by weegieanawrench (1941 posts) -

I get eyestrain frequently. On my PC I use F.lux and make sure to always have a lamp as a source of light to reduce the strain. When I'm on my PS3 in the living room, I have a lamp or two on as well. Also, remember to blink and during loading screens, shut your eyes. Don't be like robot Drew.

#9 Posted by Sergio (2161 posts) -
#10 Edited by Steadying (1358 posts) -

No, but my hands sometimes feel funny while playing 3DS while laying down. Dunno what that's about.

#11 Posted by MonetaryDread (2078 posts) -

The only times I have ever felt eyestrain is when I used to play games with the lights off. The only times I play with the lights off now is when I am using my 3D Vision 2 kit

#12 Posted by wjb (1676 posts) -

Yes. I get it when I'm trying to concentrate for several minutes -- depends on the game.

Occasionally I get a mild hemorrhage on the corner. Nothing too serious.

I take frequent breaks and use eye drops lately.

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

@sergio said:

I think they're probably a scam, but they make glasses for gaming.

Yeah seems like bullshit to me. "Wide format lenses create a panoramic viewing field for high resolution viewing." Come on.

Anyway, my problem with long gaming sessions has been headaches, though I haven't been playing games in long marathons much lately anyway. I've also noticed that I've become slightly nearsighted. I'm going to need glasses eventually...

#14 Posted by SpydrMrphy (88 posts) -

@toowalrus: most of it does seem like bullshit, but anti-reflective lenses help with screen glare and eyestrain. My optometrist has been recommending that to me for years because I work with screens all day, even before this gaming glasses fad. So I could see them being useful because of that alone. As for the other clames, most likely not, Gunnars seem to be just nonprescription lenses with a yellow tint and anti-glare.

#15 Posted by Random45 (1235 posts) -

I've been getting this lately since I've been playing Risk of Rain with my friends. I think it's due to the really small character size, and I'm getting super intently focused on my characters and his immediate surroundings. The best way to counter it is to sit back, blink a few times, and focus on something in the room you're in to adjust your eyes before they go to shit.

#16 Posted by Christoffer (1868 posts) -

Yes, I get eyestrains from time to time. More often during the winters, it seems, when the air humidity is much lower because of the cold. I live in scandinavia, so the cold is an issue now.

#17 Posted by Aetheldod (3633 posts) -

Only when I play more than 15 hours and no good sleep , which thankfully I rarely do nowadays

#18 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5808 posts) -

I just make sure to take a break every once in a while so I won't.

#19 Edited by pyromagnestir (4327 posts) -

Yes. I guess?

I don't do much about it when it happens, I just push through it, provided it's eye strain and not a migraine.

I read way less than I used to, which already was way less than I would like to. Seems to have something to do with the lighting, sitting further away from the light and not having more than one source of light seems to help keep it from happening as often, unless I'm literally staring at a screen all day. Also sleeping like a normal person helps. I haven't been doing that lately, though.

Only under specific circumstances I don't wish to talk about.

NOW I NEED TO KNOW WHAT THESE CIRCUMSTANCES ARE AND WHY YOU DON'T WISH TO TALK ABOUT THEM. I NEED TO KNOW.

#20 Posted by Kovie (206 posts) -

This is advice from an old Bombcast, but typically I've found it helpful to take breaks and specifically stare at something far away for awhile when it seems like it might become a problem. Windows are pretty cool.

#21 Posted by Fattony12000 (7528 posts) -

Drop your res back down to 640x480, 1024x768 is way too high.

#22 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

The older I get, the more it becomes the status quo. Guess artificial tears (aka eyedrops) are a thing for people in their thirties and above. It's much more prevalent in Winter though, with the cold dry air and whatnot.

The excitement that comes with good videogames usually takes care of that though. Lubricates my eyeballs right up.

#23 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (764 posts) -

@seppli said:

The older I get, the more it becomes the status quo. Guess artificial tears (aka eyedrops) are a thing for people in their thirties and above. It's much more prevalent in Winter though, with the cold dry air and whatnot.

The excitement that comes with good videogames usually takes care of that though. Lubricates my eyeballs right up.

That is probably why it seems to be flaring up to me. All the dry winter air. If it is still happening to me in the Spring and onward I'll definitely get my eyes checked out.

#24 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

I have been getting these weird... things in my vision. Like a light, that goes across the outside (near peripheral) of my vision specifically when I go from a well lit are to a darker area. I take it that it has something to do with my iris contracting or dilating, but it happens every time and I can feel when it is about to happen.

I need to see an optometrist.

#25 Edited by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

I'm fine throughout the day but as soon as night hits and I'm looking at a screen I can feel the strain on my eyes.

#26 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

@sergio said:

I think they're probably a scam, but they make glasses for gaming.

My friends use those and I have no idea if they work. I wear glasses myself so I can imagine it as only being a pain in the ass.

#27 Edited by SomeJerk (3305 posts) -

I get eyestrain only when using Game Mode on a monitor or TV, nobody uses that eyebleedingly eye-ouchy stuff constantly though, right?

#28 Posted by falserelic (5470 posts) -

Only when my mind is filled with so much hatred and pain.

#29 Posted by StrainedEyes (1326 posts) -

I get it at work all the time.

#30 Posted by Veektarius (4922 posts) -

I have gotten it sometimes on a weekend where I do nothing but play games, under other circumstances, even though I work on a computer, not really.

#31 Posted by xyzygy (10032 posts) -

Yeah. For me though it happens only when I'm tired. Like when I stay up all night or something. When I'm playing games or whatever, I don't really get it, just bloodshot eyes during extended (like 10 hours - don't worry, with bathroom and eating breaks) playing sessions. Does that happen to anyone else?

After it, people ask me if i'm all right because usually one of my eyes just has a little red spot on the white part.

#32 Posted by AMyggen (3342 posts) -