• 197 results
#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14844 posts) -

So, if you had the chance to gain immortality would you take it? Granted, the benefits are pretty obvious aging would stop all disease wouldn't effect you and injuries would never be fatal. However, there IS a downside. Sure, you would stay alive forever being able to experience the entirety of human history getting to see all the advances society makes however being immortal you would also have to watch everyone and everything you love die over and over because you will always outlive them and eventually you will be the last living thing on earth period. Would the benefits outweigh the negatives for you?

#2 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

Yes, but it would be extremely painful at times. Kind of like life.

#3 Edited by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Yes. As long as some one I can love will also be immortal and live alongside me for the rest of eternity and beyond.

#4 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

If I could develop an elaborate method of changing identities while keeping large sums of money, I would accept. I don't want to be a broke bastard all my life.

#5 Posted by Aetheldod (3586 posts) -

YES

#6 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

It'd be nice to go off exploring without having to worry about food, money, and getting killed. I always wanted to be Superman.

#7 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

Just pick up a bunch of tips from watching the Highlander movies & tv series (maybe also Forever Knight & Angel) which might make it easier to deal with picking yes and dealing with living more than one lifetime.

#8 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

God yes, and if I get the share it with the person of choice, then even better.

#9 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

Yes, people will unfortunately die even if you aren't immortal, this would just save me from having to experience that myself

#10 Posted by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

No, I think that would suck. Also, what would happen if the life on Earth was destroyed by, say, an enormous meteor? At that point, it would extra suck being immortal

#11 Edited by Capum15 (4903 posts) -

Sure, if I had the money to keep myself comfortable. And if the whole "days will eventually pass in a blur due to time" thing was managed and the ability to get past the theoretical memory limit of the brain was available.

I better be able to do some other shit too (or hope we get some serious space flight capabilities), since one day the Earth will be consumed in the hellfire of the killball we call the Sun (that bastard...just sitting there...waiting...), and I'd rather not still be here when it does.

#12 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Yes but only if I got a cool nemesis as part of the package.

#13 Posted by KatyGaGa (296 posts) -

@Demoskinos: can you commit suicide at any time?

#14 Posted by PhilESkyline (778 posts) -

I just saw the movie In Time a few weeks ago too. But having to see close friends and family pass away might be too much to handle personally. I don't think I could do it. Plus what if I was accursed of being evil and thrown in prison for life with no parole...I'm screwed...no pun intended.

Reminds me of a Highlander episode where Duncan MacLeod looks over his life and all the woman he loved that aged and died. He had to run so they wouldn't find out who he really was...that's a tough life to live man. I'll pass.

#15 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Yep

#16 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Nope! No statement there that says you can't feel pain and you never age in there. We have no idea what happens when a brain ages past 130 years old, let alone 10000 years. My imagination is that you eventually become a braindead invalid or insane danger who cannot die. Neither are desirable to me.

#17 Posted by jking47 (1211 posts) -

Only if I have a way to kill myself.

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:

Nope! No statement there that says you can't feel pain and you never age in there. We have no idea what happens when a brain ages past 130 years old, let alone 10000 years. My imagination is that you eventually become a braindead invalid or insane danger who cannot die. Neither are desirable to me.

This, the idea sounds great till you think of exactly this.
#19 Posted by DerekDanahy (875 posts) -

No. I really am okay with dying - and am happy for being able to be on Earth, even for the briefest of moments.

#20 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

No shit.

#21 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

I´ve always found answering this question with a yes to be a bit narrow minded, can you imagine what it would be like to float about in space for eternity after every star in the universe has collapsed?

I would happily take the deal for a few thousand years, or maybe if it came with an optional renewal clause or something.

#22 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4525 posts) -

I played Lost Odyssey. No.

#23 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

Injuries would never be fatal, but would they heal? If they wouldn't, I wouldn't enjoy walking around with my intestines hanging out for... for ever.

#24 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Well, I'd need about a dozen questions answered before I answer, but I think I would pick it. Live long enough to see major technological advancements, the ability to gain infinite knowledge, or you can spend years on end meditating... and eventually live long enough to become the savior of humanity. Are you ready?

#25 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -

Yes. I would just go into a chemically induced coma for 5 or 10 years when I started to get bored as shit.

#26 Posted by EchoEcho (827 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Little_Socrates said:

It is probably fair to assume that in order for your body to become immortal, your cells would need to somehow be capable of infinite rejuvenation, so you literally couldn't become old. Hard to say if the brain would fair better than usual because of this or if you'd eventually get senile and crazy anyway. But if we're willing to set aside our disbelief for a moment and pretend we have the chance to become immortal, it isn't much of a leap to assume that an eternally healthy mind is a part of the package. Going insane for other reasons, of course, would still be on the table -- just not from deterioration due to age.

Personally I'd say, hell yeah, sign me up. I'd really like to see where humanity goes in a few thousand years. Besides, nobody ever said that you're immune to dying, just that you're immune to aging and disease. As long as I could jump off a cliff face first and splatter my brains to effectively kill myself if I ever become that sick of being alive, then I am all for it. I'm not really worried about the whole "everyone you love will always die" issue, because guess what -- people I love have already died. Over time you learn to move on. Either it becomes easier and easier to deal with after it's happened dozens or hundreds of times, or eventually you reach a breaking point and snap, but I'm fairly confident it would be the former in my case.

#27 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

Yeah I would probably take it, though I would want to be able to kill myself. I think at a certain point I would have had enough, I mean maybe it would be after every star died or maybe it would be just after humans died, or maybe I would just be tired.

#28 Edited by efman (212 posts) -

If I can kill myself at my own will, yes. If there's someone else alongside me who's immortal just to avoid being bored to figurative death, then yes. Also, there have been more than a dozen of responses in this thread already, favoring immortality, so sign me the eff up -- I'm sure we'd all get along. Immortaility has never been better. If none of the criteria apply outlined above, NOOOOO! Don't want to be floating around the galaxy in my impenetrable husk of a being when all form of life is atomized into matter. Agree? Anyone?

#29 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

Yes. As long as some one I can love will also be immortal and live alongside for the rest of eternity and beyond.

#30 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

Can I still be killed or kill myself ? If so yeah, sure.

#31 Posted by MentalDisruption (1637 posts) -

If I have to watch the significant other that I love die knowing that I'll live on forever then fuck immortality.

#32 Posted by JonSmith (171 posts) -

Most likely yes, though I'd ask a lot of questions first, then see if it would be at all possible to get a few other abilities tossed into the bargain as a bonus, such as the ability to change my appearance to match the changes in appearance of our species, such as growing taller as the average height changes. It would make concealing your identity as an immortal a lot easier if you weren't the shortest person alive in two hundred years. Also, hopefully either invulnerability or exceptional regeneration speed, so I'm not in unimaginable pain and unable to die or move. And a teleportation of some sort, so if someone found out my immortality and managed to lock me up somewhere, I could escape and not be trapped there for all eternity.

... I'd probably be a bit paranoid.

#33 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Only if you wounds could heal. It would suck to be decapitated or paralyzed for eternity

#34 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

Wanting to live forever is the ultimate death wish!
#35 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

Yes.

#36 Posted by PurpleOddity (37 posts) -

Yep, I am too weak willed to turn something like that down. I'm fully aware of all of the nasty consequences, but I'd do a lot of crazy things if it means I get to see the future.

#37 Posted by Demoskinos (14844 posts) -

Haha, see so many people are "Sure!" but then they add a caveat. Thats why I actually think this question is fascinating. Just about anyone would *think* they would want to live forever at first glance but when you break apart the minutiae of it there are tons of things you don't account for. Such as, your mental well being wouldn't be guaranteed alongside your physical well being not to mention the social implications. If word got out that you were immortal you would have great fame thrust upon you no matter if you wanted it or not. Then there is the implication of what actually happens to our brains after that long. I've heard many people theorize that we would end up pretty much going insane. Being in a consant state of insanity with no release doesn't sound like fun. But the upshot is also pretty good. I would love to be able to see where society is in 700 years the advancements in technology we have even today are amazing i can't imagine what is going to be around 700 years from now. Once you break it apart and start really breaking down the actual implications at stake its actually not such a cut and dry sort of question.

#38 Posted by PhilESkyline (778 posts) -

This just be the theme song for this thread...

#39 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I'd take it and rule the Earth for eternity

#40 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@Little_Socrates said:

Exactly what I was gonna ask. Can I age/be maimed? If so, then hell no. If not, then I don't know how I could turn that down.

#41 Posted by Cslaw (217 posts) -

I don't think i would want immortality, i fear death partly because there is a chance there might be an afterlife and there is no certainty it would be any better then this life, it could end up being much worse. Don't get me wrong life is great but at a certain point I'm sure everyone has enough and just wants out, not a second go or an extension.

#42 Posted by bighat_logan (182 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
@Little_Socrates said:

What part of " insane danger who cannot die" does not sound awesome?
#43 Posted by ajamafalous (12003 posts) -

Yes.

#44 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

God, no. Even people who live an ordinary human lifespan seem to become upset with their friends dying off, and feel alienated and excluded from modern culture. Seeing entire civilisations rise and fall would be bad enough, but if the human race destroyed itself and you ended up just wandering through a human-less universe forever, I can only imagine the affect that would have on your mind. I'm always amazed at how many people say yes to this question.

#45 Posted by UnrealDP (1223 posts) -

Sure, why not? It'd be fun and I happen to like fun.

#46 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I am immortal you fool!... Time and space only exist for as long as I am alive... Long live SmilingPig!

#47 Posted by betterboulder (190 posts) -

No. I see a lot of "I want to see the future" speculation but the thing about the future is it’s unpredictable. Yes the future could be awesome and full of aliens and space ships but it could also be a wasteland where war or a horrid disease wipes out the majority of mankind. I’d rather enjoy what I have now and let my descendants make their own future.

#48 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

If I could have my best friend or someone really close be immortal with me then maybe. If I had the choice to end my immortality at any point then definitely. If I was alone in my immortality and would stay immortal forever then fuck no.

#49 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Can't. It's illegal.

#50 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

No. Unless I feel like being like going Lost Odyssey style. But I probably wouldn't.