• 92 results
Posted by MB (12933 posts) 7 months, 19 days ago

Poll: You're about to do 20 years in prison for a crime you didn't commit. What do you do? (POLL) (353 votes)

Surrender and go to prison, hoping an appeal will exonerate you at some point in the future. Chances of that don't look good. 19%
Flee the country with no intention of ever going back unless something changes in your case, but it probably won't. 71%
Other - Explain in comments. (Please read first post before replying!) 9%

The other night, I watched 25th Hour , first time I've seen that flick in years. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it before, especially if you're an Edward Norton fan. The theme of the flick is that Norton's character is about to go to prison for quite a long time. The film is about the time immediately leading up to when he's supposed to surrender himself at the prison to start doing his time. Of course in the movie, Ed Norton is guilty, but it still made me think. If I was about to go to prison for 20 years for a crime I didn't commit and there seemed to be no chance of the conviction being overturned, what would I do? It's hard to say really, but if there were little to no chance of ever getting my conviction overturned and I was about to do 20 years, I would probably try and make a run for it.

Here are some conditions for our hypothetical poll:

a) You spent most of your life savings on the best attorneys money can buy, and it wasn't enough. You were convicted at trial and sentenced, and a mistrial or some other loophole isn't happening. You are going to prison. You may get exonerated at a later time, but your attorneys say that the likelihood of that ever happening is slim. You're done. The prison you'll be doing time in isn't maximum security but it isn't a resort, either. Additionally you're doing Federal time (assume you are in the U.S. for the purpose of this exercise) so early release or parole is not a possibility. You're doing all 20 years, at least. Maybe more if you get into trouble while inside.

b) You still have access to around $25,000 in cash that you could use to run and start a new life with. (You sold your car and all your stuff after the conviction.) Assume this is enough to get you out of the country and to whatever destination you choose, and enough to live on for a little while while you get settled and figure things out, try to get a job, stuff like that. Let's further say that post-trial, the judge gave you a week to get your affairs in order and turn yourself in. So you have some time before anyone notices you're missing.

c) If you elect to run, only you can go. You can't take any of your family, friends, or spouse with you. No pets either! Nothing from your former life that can identify you can be taken along.

d) If you run, you won't be able to see or speak to anyone you know for at least a few years. Maybe later on you can find a way to get a message to your loved ones and they can risk visiting you somewhere, but not for awhile. No contact of any kind, otherwise the authorities could track you down or even worse, lay some charges on your family for aiding a fugitive. You are truly alone.

What would you do?

#51 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6309 posts) -

I started watching Oz recently. I'd run.

#52 Edited by Dixavd (1367 posts) -

II think I'd go out and commit a completely audacious crime (something that hurt no one, but would be extremely over-the-top, to the point of seeming ludicrous). Then I'd go to prison and see if I could help anyone on the inside.

#53 Posted by Random45 (1265 posts) -

Kill myself, probably.

Haha, this is morbid, but if there wasn't any way out, I think I'd be low enough to consider going through with suicide.

20 years in prison will ruin your life, your image, your credibility, your future opportunities... freaking EVERYTHING would be gone.

#54 Posted by Ruined_Fokkusu (18 posts) -

I'd follow the plot of Driver: Parallel Lines, serve my sentence then when I get out get revenge on those who set me up.

#55 Posted by jakob187 (21732 posts) -

I chose "Other." Here's the thing: I wouldn't run because fuck running from anything. I wouldn't kill myself because suicide is selfish pussy bullshit.

Therefore, if I'm going to prison for a crime I didn't commit, you best goddamn believe I'm going to commit some crime to warrant the prison time. If I'm going to do time already, I might as well have a damn reason.

#56 Posted by benspyda (2043 posts) -

Go out in a blaze of glory.

#57 Posted by Hunter5024 (5909 posts) -

I wouldn't flee the country, I would just change my identity in this one.

#58 Posted by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

Just realized having citizenship in the country you're fleeing to is almost a necessity (that's why it's worked for roman polanski all of these year).

#59 Edited by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I chose "Other." Here's the thing: I wouldn't run because fuck running from anything. I wouldn't kill myself because suicide is selfish pussy bullshit.

Therefore, if I'm going to prison for a crime I didn't commit, you best goddamn believe I'm going to commit some crime to warrant the prison time. If I'm going to do time already, I might as well have a damn reason.

I hope your post is sarcasm (I seem to have trouble gauging sarcasm when its text based), as there is no shame in running when it affects your survival/place in the world. There's no nobility in unjustily losing your freedom

#60 Edited by Broomhitches (173 posts) -

I don't have any friends; my girlfriend is cool, but it's safe to say that our relationship is going nowhere if I'm going to prison for that long. I think I would flee the country, but I would do a lot of research before I decide which country to go to.

1) I have to make sure that the exchange rate is in favor of the US dollar.

2) I'm Black, so I want to choose a country that isn't extremely racist (I'm staying the fuck away from any country in Africa.

3) That country would have to be relatively safe, so most of South America is out of the question.

On second thought, I would kill myself. Life sucks as it is and running doesn't guarantee anything.

#61 Posted by Saga (181 posts) -

I would look for the real perpetrator, find him, and force him to confess.

#62 Posted by Intro (1211 posts) -

Go to jail like and read law books everyday like Rick Ross and hopefully find a way to prove my innocence or have at least some charges dropped.

#63 Posted by Getz (3140 posts) -

@shotgunlincoln: That's women's prison man, they don't have testosterone in there...

#64 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (634 posts) -

be so horrible in prison that they have to keep me in permanent solitary confinement and live those 20 years in peace.

#65 Posted by development (2573 posts) -

This isn't even a question. Flee the country. America sucks hot sweaty nuts anyway. There are plenty of other nice places.

#66 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2971 posts) -

I'd turn myself in. I'd shoot for a low security facility, probably get it, and just hob-nob with the white-collar criminals.

Just to make life interesting I would take on the manners of "Verbal" Kint (KevinSpacey), the conartist with cerebral palsy, from The Usual Suspects.

#67 Posted by s10129107 (1193 posts) -

How would the answers change if you "did do it"?

#68 Posted by Lunnington (214 posts) -

I would probably end up going to prison because I'm a pussy.

I'd totally be a cool prison guy though. Follow the rules, probably get a prison job. I'd also write a book or something. Not about prison life, because those have been done, but like a sci-fi novel or something. Mmm... now I want to go to prison.

#69 Posted by jakob187 (21732 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I hope your post is sarcasm (I seem to have trouble gauging sarcasm when its text based), as there is no shame in running when it affects your survival/place in the world. There's no nobility in unjustily losing your freedom

Wolves don't run from their enemies. They fight them head-on and go for the jugular. In turn, I will not run. It's a sign of weakness. I'll face my obstacles head-on, knife in hand, and stab with precision.

I was raised to believe that running from anything is bullshit. It's a pussy's way out. It's someone unwilling to face obstacles, instead trying to live life the easy way. The easy way through life builds no character, no grit, and no meddle.

It's just who I am. You see no nobility in it, but I personally see no nobility in running. There's no nobility in tucking tail. Face it head-on and fuck 'em up along the way.

#70 Posted by ToTheNines (788 posts) -

The people thinking of fleeing are delusional.

#71 Posted by Generic_username (634 posts) -

I have several full bottles of medication at my bedside. Piece together what I could do with that.

I think in the situation described, I'd honestly rather be dead. I could also leave a note further denying my involvement in the crime, and since (I assume) people tend to come clean in those types of notes, that might even make the idea that I did the crime a little harder to swallow. Wouldn't help me in any way, as I'd be dead, but might at least make the accusers feel a little shitty.

#72 Posted by ToTheNines (788 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@narujoe93 said:

@jakob187 said:

Wolves don't run from their enemies. They fight them head-on and go for the jugular. In turn, I will not run. It's a sign of weakness. I'll face my obstacles head-on, knife in hand, and stab with precision.

I was raised to believe that running from anything is bullshit. It's a pussy's way out. It's someone unwilling to face obstacles, instead trying to live life the easy way. The easy way through life builds no character, no grit, and no meddle.

It's just who I am. You see no nobility in it, but I personally see no nobility in running. There's no nobility in tucking tail. Face it head-on and fuck 'em up along the way.

rofl this is one of the funniest post I've ever read. well done.

#73 Edited by benpicko (2012 posts) -

commit seppuku

#74 Posted by Popogeejo (616 posts) -

"Eric Pope MADE me watch that video, your honour. I'm as much of a victim as anyone else!"

#75 Posted by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@narujoe93 said:

@jakob187 said:

Are you a wolf?

#76 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1497 posts) -

Wait, what? What did you do? What crime did you commit that you won't admit to?!

#77 Posted by Pr1mus (3959 posts) -

Easy.

Flee the country. I'm not really all that attached to anything or anyone here. Family and friends would miss me more than i would miss them and this isn't hypothetical because i already went for a couple stretches of a few months to a year at a time without seeing anyone and it wasn't hard at all and could have lasted a lot longer. I just don't miss people. It's nice when i see them but not a necessity in any way.

#78 Posted by jakob187 (21732 posts) -
#79 Edited by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@narujoe93: It's a euphemism.

Saying wolves do something, so you should do it to isn't a euphemism (you probably mean analogy). Also, wolves run away from shit all of the time.

#80 Posted by jakob187 (21732 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@narujoe93: It's a euphemism.

Saying wolves do something, so you should do it to isn't a euphemism (you probably mean analogy). Also, wolves run away from shit all of the time.

That's the one I meant. I have 34 8-year-olds in the store screaming and hollering. My sanity and ability to string together a sentence with words that actually make sense is....slowly....yeah, fuck it, it's gone.

Wolves will never initially run away. They only do so if they find they will lose the fight. It's the reason they have no fear of humans, despite being hunted like crazy for so long. Hell, they'll fight a goddamn grizzly if they feel like it. Then again, wolves usually roam in packs anyways (unless it's an ousted alpha or omega, and in that case, they'll run in order to live and find a new pack to join), so probably wasn't the best example to use.

The point of it all is that I wouldn't run. I would stand my ground.

#81 Edited by Mortuss_Zero (362 posts) -

Lose, Lose, Lose no matter what huh? I guess I'd be the one guy trying to sneak into Mexico instead of the other way around. Get a small menial job in a fishing village and shut my brain down.

#82 Edited by RonGalaxy (3263 posts) -

@jakob187:
Well, that's exactly it! they run when they know they'll lose a fight. If you were being wrongfully convicted of a crime and were facing many years of jail time without any possibility of getting out of it (except running), that's analogous to wolves knowing when shit is too much for them to handle, which is why they run.

Facing your problems head on is a great value to hold, but there is a line where it just isn't a wise course of action. Standing your ground to persecution and letting yourself be taken may seem like an act of strength at first, but once you're stripped of your rights and treated like an animal, you'd know it was anything but that.

I won't fault you for having the this opinion (it's mostly a good opinion to have, in my opinion). I just think running away from a situation where the outcome is 100% not in your favor isn't showing weakness. Id rather run and keep my strength (freedom) then stand my ground and be weakened by forces outside of my control (government, prison, slavery, etc)

#83 Posted by IcedWhale (53 posts) -

Suicide by drug dealers

#84 Posted by smcn (926 posts) -

>wipe the grease paint off my face say "j/k guys i'm white!"
>judge says "oh shit my bad go have a nice life and here's a lollipop"
>do a jig as i walk out the courthouse sucking the shit out of that lollipop

#85 Posted by jakob187 (21732 posts) -

@jakob187: Well, that's exactly it! they run when they know they'll lose a fight. If you were being wrongfully convicted of a crime and were facing many years of jail time without any possibility of getting out of it (except running), that's analogous to wolves knowing when shit is too much for them to handle, which is why they run.

Facing your problems head on is a great value to hold, but there is a line where it just isn't a wise course of action. Standing your ground to persecution and letting yourself be taken may seem like an act of strength at first, but once you're stripped of your rights and treated like an animal, you'd know it was anything but that.

I won't fault you for having the this opinion (it's mostly a good opinion to have, in my opinion). I just think running away from a situation where the outcome is 100% not in your favor isn't showing weakness. Id rather run and keep my strength (freedom) then stand my ground and be weakened by forces outside of my control (government, prison, slavery, etc)

Bronson. That's all I can say.

#86 Edited by Phouchg (61 posts) -

I answered the poll before reading the conditions... If it was in sweden I would take the punishment and get out on good behaviour after a couple of years.

But in the US? Man I have no idea what I'd do.. probably still take it and just try to survive in prison. Have a feeling it could be very interesting in prison for a scrawny little swedish guy in american prison.

#87 Edited by GS_Dan (1406 posts) -

Ctrl+F "A-Team".

Leaves thread.

#88 Posted by Stonyman65 (2823 posts) -

Do everything that was done in the movies The Fugitive and U.S. Marshalls.

#89 Posted by UltimAXE (411 posts) -

I work in a prison and, frankly, I don't think that i'd make it 20 years. The dumb shit that goes on in there that you have to involve yourself with because of some stupid code that inmates have among each would be too much for me to handle. Hell, I can barely stand working there. Living there must fucking suck.

I'd figure out a fun suicide.

#90 Posted by sub_o (912 posts) -

Follow the trails to solve the crime on my own while on the run from the police, in the name of my grandfather!

#91 Posted by Berserk007 (210 posts) -

20 year sentence = about 10years -minus for good behavior and prison population densities, you could be out in 4, then hire a private investigator to review all evidence for mistakes and for procedural errors, if you find something you are looking at a big money settlement. If the crime were of a sexual nature and depending on the area of incarceration, running would be best as the abuse you face in prison (if not sectioned with only other sexual offenders) will be brutal and possibly life ending.

#92 Posted by Jay_Ray (1118 posts) -

#93 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2971 posts) -

@phouchg said:

I answered the poll before reading the conditions... If it was in sweden I would take the punishment and get out on good behaviour after a couple of years.

But in the US? Man I have no idea what I'd do.. probably still take it and just try to survive in prison. Have a feeling it could be very interesting in prison for a scrawny little swedish guy in american prison.

In the US there are two or three types of prison. We have what is called minimum security prisons in the US for rich people. I nice Swedish person would go to a minimum security prison.