• 58 results
Posted by DriveupLife (909 posts) 6 months, 27 days ago

Poll: You're at the gym, it's your first workout in a long time. After warm up, which exercise do you do first? (211 votes)

The bench press 17%
The pull up bar and T bar row 1%
The free weight rack 8%
The squat rack 10%
The weighted rope rack 0%
The leg machines 2%
The upper body machines 4%
The ab bench 3%
The smith machine 0%
The treadmill 14%
The eliptical trainer 7%
The bike 7%
The rowing machine 4%
The stair climber 0%
A machine not mentioned 3%
The front door (I don't workout) 19%
#1 Posted by afabs515 (1010 posts) -

Always start with the bench

#2 Edited by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Probably bench press because it's my favorite exercise, but I have at the longest only taken a week off from the gym in the last few years so I don't know.

#3 Posted by sf2733 (41 posts) -

I start every work out by moving 2 flat benches about 5 feet apart then doing the splits between them. You're welcome.

On a serious note I typically warm up with 4 sets of 250m row, 25 push up as fast as possible then 4 sets of 1 min crawling on a Jacob's Ladder as fast as possible followed by 50 air squats. Honestly if it were me and I hadn't worked out in a long time and wanted to play it safe, I would just kill myself with body weight exercises for the first 2 to 3 workouts.

#4 Posted by MonetaryDread (1991 posts) -

Deadlifts are my favourite exercise, so I guess I would travel to the squat rack first.

#5 Posted by Khann (2781 posts) -

Depends what day of the split it is..

#6 Posted by BlastProcessing (912 posts) -

All depends on what muscles you plan on working that specific day. But if it is the very first day of the week, I tend to bench press first.

#7 Posted by Optix12 (610 posts) -

seeing as the road is free to use and i have a rowing machine I would start off with most of those cable weight machines which I dont have access to, then step up a regimental mix between cardio and weight days. That is if I had a gym pass which im looking in to

#8 Posted by ShaggE (6329 posts) -

I find a person at random, look them directly in the eye, and start doing slow, deliberate squats. I then nod knowingly at them and leave.

Either that or the treadmill.

#9 Posted by MrT (162 posts) -

Heavy deadlift

#10 Posted by Skamikaze1983 (17 posts) -

No love for the stair climber?

No other GB firefighters?

#11 Edited by Ben_H (3309 posts) -

Elliptical. I always do that. It gets me back to where I was previously in a fast manner.

If I go treadmill I will overdo it typically because I usually will just try to do what I was previously doing before I stopped.

I really need to start working out again...

#12 Posted by Tireyo (6409 posts) -

I never go to a gym.

#13 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -

Depends on which one will give me the better view of a sexy lady working out while also allowing me to conceal my erection.

#14 Posted by Phr4nk0 (349 posts) -

Squats first, every workout. Gotta get me dem legs!

#15 Edited by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

Probably the elliptical because I need to work on my cardio and the leg muscles are some of the weakest muscles in my body right now so those are top priority. After that would be one of those all-in-one weight machines (I actually have one of those at my house) to work on my biceps/shoulder/back muscles.

Luckily for me I'm built pretty solid upper body wise, so weight lifting isn't really an issue as much as getting my fat ass out and running... Cardio is most important for me right now and thats the part I hate the most lol...

Losing this weight is gonna suck.......

#16 Posted by HatKing (5815 posts) -

I take it light when getting back to it for the first time in a while. Lower weight, lower reps, give it a few days and start to pick it up. If I'm at a gym I might check out some upper body machines at first. At home I'll do my typical free weight routine. Always lift before cardio.

#17 Posted by development (2066 posts) -

I usually won't start with cardio if it's been awhile. My asthma is bad enough that I feel like I'd die if I did that. Instead, I do "home" workouts (sit ups, push ups, pull ups) for a week or two and then start with running 3 days a week. So, for this poll: bench press (most similar to push ups, I guess).

#18 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

That bike, son.

#19 Posted by PimblyCharles (1315 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

Disagree, abs are most important especially if you drink a lot. It keeps down belly fat. Cmon

#20 Posted by ajamafalous (11846 posts) -

The bench press is the quintessential workout machine

#21 Posted by SgtSphynx (1266 posts) -

Voted treadmill mainly because I use that as a warmup after my actual warmup.

#22 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2310 posts) -

Warm...up?

#23 Edited by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

Heavy squats.

#24 Posted by Sammo21 (3211 posts) -

I always liked a nice bench press for 3-5 sets depending on my routine for the day. My favorite weighted routine is a preacher curl.

#25 Posted by afabs515 (1010 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

Disagree, abs are most important especially if you drink a lot. It keeps down belly fat. Cmon

Nah, son. Always be lifting.

#26 Edited by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

Just thinking about UFC 168 would warm me up. Wow what a GRUESOME finale.

#27 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

@pimblycharles said:

@afabs515 said:

It's clearly a very well executed subtle troll... I hope.

...really hope.

#28 Edited by Brundage (371 posts) -

Tredmill for a couple of minutes then stretch to get the body warm and loosen it up. Never want to get straight into a workout and pull something..

#29 Edited by PimblyCharles (1315 posts) -

@pillclinton said:

@afabs515 said:

@pimblycharles said:

@afabs515 said:

It's clearly a very well executed subtle troll... I hope.

...really hope.

It was meant as a half troll, considering how much alcohol I've watched all the duders drink over the years. Just figured a good majority of their fanbase drank as well. Nothing more has an effect on my torso than beer. I do situps before anything else after waking in the morning. It keeps my abs in shape and keeps down the belly I'd have if I didn't. I've actually lost a little over 20 lbs in just a week doing situps only. Granted I was younger then and didn't eat much that week.

I like to do upper body only one day and lower body only the next. Rinse and repeat.

#30 Edited by falserelic (5324 posts) -

I usually like to use the elliptical, but it broke so now I'm back to weight training. I'll list the things I like to do when I workout.

1. Wear my 20 lbs weight vest. (Can make the workout abit more intense, burn more calories, but will leave me with some snapback action in my shoulders after awhile)

2. I'll warm my body up by doing a series of stretches. Then do 100 jumping jacks, after that I'll jump up hit the floor do 12 push ups and repeat for 5 sets, then a series of 50 or 100 situps will follow. Doing all that while wearing the vest.

3. I'll do compound movements with the dumbells. It could range from working my triceps, shoulders, arms, legs. It really would depend on my mood, but usually I'll do 15 reps and 5 sets. Sometimes I might do more, but depends on how I feel, and yes while wearing the vest.

4. Using the weight machines can come in handy. I might do lat pulldowns, overhead presses, or shoulder presses depending on my mood.

5. As for Cardio it was the elliptical, but now I'm stuck with that heart exploding StairMaster. I can manage doing 40 minutes on it. Unless I develop my body to the point where I can stand it better. Unlike the elliptical I can stay on that machine for an hour or two. While having the resistance up to 15 or 20. Sometimes I can burn up to about 890 calories, and I can go beyond that if I choose to stay longer which I have plenty of times.

Anyway I hope to get the rest of this fat off me this coming year. Even though I've gotten hella lean. I still have the issue of the man boobs and small gut even though I'm 210. I can't tell if its excess skin or not. If it doesn't go away once I reach 185 or lower. I might have to go ahead and get that shit cut off. If I'm about to get some suga walls I don't want to look sloppy. I want to make sure my shit is nice and tight.

#31 Posted by Anund (876 posts) -

I always start with pull-ups. It's kind of a benchmark to see how well I will do that day.

#32 Posted by NorseDudeTR (421 posts) -

I start with either squats or deadlifts. Strict form, 3-4 warmup sets before doing 3 sets of 5 across.

#33 Posted by falserelic (5324 posts) -

Even though working out is beneficial, never take it this seriously.

Aleast this guy got his reps in. He obviously doesn't like to bullshit or take it slow when trying to make some gainz. He's taking the one way express to snap city.

#34 Posted by TIEfighter77 (80 posts) -

Got to be the bench for me.

#35 Posted by slyspider (1151 posts) -

I dont go to the gym, I do sit ups and push ups and various permutations on those to stay in relative shape

#36 Posted by Grillbar (1796 posts) -

my warm up is usually the threadmil, and then planking or what ever its called where you lay on your arms and toes and hold your back straight for as long as i can for 2 sets, then i start with the leg press, after that its just what ever is avaliable, the leg press is really often empty and i always focus on my legs and back, since i dont care about looking big, the strength is just useful in my job

#37 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2563 posts) -

Stretch, warm up, stretch....THEN workout.

#38 Posted by SenorMartinez (33 posts) -

All my workouts start with the squat rack, but if it's been awhile, I guess i should warm up at the threadmill.

#39 Posted by Empirepaintball (1391 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

I don't know man, on a normal day yeah, but if you haven't worked out in a while going strait to compound lifts can really mess you up.

#40 Posted by Iron_Tool (215 posts) -

What is this? Choose your own adventure? LOL....

#41 Edited by afabs515 (1010 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

I don't know man, on a normal day yeah, but if you haven't worked out in a while going strait to compound lifts can really mess you up.

Haha. Don't I know it. Old habits die hard though.

#42 Edited by laserguy (438 posts) -

I like to start with a run, out the door, across the street to burger king.

#43 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (695 posts) -

Free weights. I'd vote bench but you need a spotter and I hate talking to people.

#44 Edited by EuanDewar (4756 posts) -

i go absolutely mental with the rowing machine, i love that thing

#45 Posted by shivermetimbers (763 posts) -

I would do cardio before body building. So probably the treadmill or row machine or maybe a step up machine.

#46 Posted by myketuna (1652 posts) -

Free weights. I'd vote bench but you need a spotter and I hate talking to people.

I voted the same. Bicep curls are my go-to when I haven't worked out in a while.

#47 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

First workout in a long time? .. .. squats until all of my guts are on the outside.

#48 Posted by ajamafalous (11846 posts) -

Is this a veiled New Year's Resolution poll?

#49 Edited by alphablu (1 posts) -

Take a seat in the squat cage and start my kegel routine.

#50 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

Treadmill. If it's been too long, then I'm too afraid to try any actual weights.