Posted by Seppli (11233 posts) 11 months, 6 days ago

Poll: You run into a burning building. You find a boy and a girl and your dog. You can only save one. Who do you save? (562 votes)

The girl. 24%
The boy. 2%
My dog. 31%
I don't run into burning buildings. Results. 42%

Who do you save, and why?

#101 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2139 posts) -

I save the building, thus saving everyone.

#102 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1826 posts) -

The dog. I'm not a monster.

#103 Posted by Fobwashed (2497 posts) -

I would only run into a burning building if I knew my dog was in there in the first place. So once I get there, of course I'm going to save my dog.

#104 Edited by Milkman (17803 posts) -

I'd save my dog.

#105 Edited by Hunter5024 (6279 posts) -

I think I would save my dog. I value the lives of humans over animals, but as the owner of my dog, I agreed to be responsible for her health and safety when I took her in. The humans should be smart and resourceful enough to save themselves. To be fair, you said we could imagine them however we wanted, I pictured adults, and everyone else seems to be imagining helpless children.

Also this sounds like a David Cage game (but better).

#106 Posted by LordAndrew (14588 posts) -

Is harvesting the girl an option?

#107 Posted by Gamerguy3 (15 posts) -

I will get the girl coz from all i know i am not gay and that boy could be the one who set the building on fire.

And my dog he's a little six month old pug and i can pick both of them up.

Or if i couldn't pick my dog up,

I will untie my shoelaces and he will bite them (he's ocd about laces and jeans) and i will just drag him out.

#108 Posted by EVO (4026 posts) -

The girl. She's probably the least capable of saving herself.

#109 Posted by gba1989 (14 posts) -

I'd save myself.

#110 Posted by Sweep (9657 posts) -

Only 2% of people picked the boy. Which, ironically, means if most of the people in this thread were trapped in a burning building with a girl and a dog, they would die.

#111 Posted by Marcsman (3367 posts) -

My dog

#112 Posted by Ezekiel (670 posts) -

I can't answer that. I would never own an animal.

#113 Posted by notnert427 (642 posts) -

I like dogs better than people. Especially my dogs.

#114 Posted by Fattony12000 (7915 posts) -

I do a sick backflip and kick the teeth out of the nearest enemy before bursting through a plate glass window on the 48th floor with a totally rad motorbike.

#115 Posted by PimblyCharles (1711 posts) -

As in Dave Lang's Firefighter Simulator, I'd be the one putting out the firefighter on fire that's putting out the fire.

#116 Posted by Hitzel (127 posts) -

Alphabetical order.

Is my dog's name Aaron?

#117 Posted by Corvak (1196 posts) -

I can see all three thus I determine that it is in fact smokeless movie fire. I flee the scene because an angry director is chasing me off his set.

#118 Posted by von_wemberg (177 posts) -

No option to save myself instead? I just like running into burning buildings, I'm not a heroic type...

#119 Posted by SarcasticMudcrab (234 posts) -

2% the boy, 29% the dog....

HAHA omg the fuck is wrong with you people?

#120 Edited by ZolRoyce (986 posts) -

@zolroyce said:

@abendlaender said:

Can I keep the dog?

Edit: Oh, it's my dog? Fuck yeah I'm gonna save my dog. She saved my life once (not kidding here)

That sounds like a story worth hearing about!

It's not that special I think. I was five years old and fell into a river. And my dog came after me and helped me out. It's probably debatable how much she actually helped me since she was not the biggest dog in the world (although it helped to calm me downt and not panicking seems rather important in such a situation) but the fact alone that she came after me and tried to help me is enough for me. Fuck that boy, he is probably an asshole if he just sits around in a burning building, waiting for me to run in and rescue him. Did he jumo into an icecold river to save me? No? WELL BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME! Dogs on the other hand can't be assholes. They are loveable and cute.

In all seriousness though: Don't run into burning buildings people. Chances are you become just another person for the firemen to rescue.

I think it's a pretty cool story duder! It is pretty amazing that dogs can get so loyal and so brave even under danger, they really do form a loving pact bond with their family and can tell when their family needs help, dammit dogs are awesome.

#121 Posted by Kidavenger (3854 posts) -

I'd pick my dog over a stranger without even thinking about it.

If it was my dog vs a family member of mine I'd go for the family member

probably

#122 Posted by Veektarius (5273 posts) -

One of the humans. I'd probably lean girl, but if these are children, I would rescue the one that looked less scared because that's the kind of people American needs. If they're not children, there's no way I'm rescuing a guy, because he'd weigh too much.

#123 Edited by AndrewB (7782 posts) -

Basically this?

(Pretend the boy and girl are definitely not adults)

#124 Edited by spraynardtatum (4038 posts) -

I save the girl because my dog will follow me out when I call it.

But seriously, I'm not letting my dog die...

#125 Edited by DoctorDonkey (689 posts) -

Human life or a fuckin' animal? Really? First off, I wouldn't run into a burning building, but let's say I was already in there when the fire broke out. If it's just kids we're talking about here, I'm pretty confident I could lift both, given the adrenaline and all. If it's not kids, and the girl isn't pregnant, I would save the youngest of them. Gender doesn't matter, only age.

Actually forget all that, I'm bad with smoke so I'd probably pass out and be the dude in that situation.

#126 Posted by ervonymous (1299 posts) -

I'd still feel responsible for the loss of human life, might as well pet my dog while contemplating.

#127 Posted by TruthTellah (9623 posts) -

*leaves behind the boy, girl, and dog and saves the Giant Bomb servers instead*

I missed you so much, you beautiful site you! ;_;

#128 Posted by LiquidPrince (16461 posts) -

All three, fuck those rules.

#129 Edited by Fobwashed (2497 posts) -

#130 Posted by TruthTellah (9623 posts) -

@fobwashed: heh. Reminds me of that young woman that recently got a lot of criticism for reserving a meal for her friends at one of the fanciest sushi places in America, only to then complain that the fish was raw and demand that the world-renowned chef cook the fish.

#131 Posted by noizy (781 posts) -

Kobayashi Maru? I don't believe in a no win scenario.

#132 Posted by Fobwashed (2497 posts) -

@fobwashed: heh. Reminds me of that young woman that recently got a lot of criticism for reserving a meal for her friends at one of the fanciest sushi places in America, only to then complain that the fish was raw and demand that the world-renowned chef cook the fish.

I wrote out a post about how weird it was that ppl were coming in here just to complain about their choices when the title of this thread immediately lays it bare. Couldn't come off not sounding like I was preaching so figured a quick and dirty comic would get the general idea across =P

#133 Posted by WesleyWyndam (168 posts) -

Whichever human is least likely to make it out on their own.

#134 Posted by HypnoToadBrwowrowrow (1338 posts) -

As a firefighter, the most viable of the boy and the girl.

#135 Edited by TruthTellah (9623 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

I wrote out a post about how weird it was that ppl were coming in here just to complain about their choices when the title of this thread immediately lays it bare. Couldn't come off not sounding like I was preaching so figured a quick and dirty comic would get the general idea across =P

Hey, I don't blame you. I think it's the only right answer.

#136 Posted by Jen1220 (4 posts) -

I would save the dog, because it would be the only living thing I would actually be able to carry. :P

Plus, that's what the guy is there for. Even injured, he could probably lift more than me. I'd delegate the task of saving the girl to him. Win win :D

#137 Posted by Slag (5432 posts) -

Hmmm

Is the dog a girl dog?

#138 Posted by freakin9 (1177 posts) -

My dog's dead, you mean I find the girl, the boy, and the corpse of my dead dog? Fuck those kids, whatever they did to end up with the corpse of my dead dog they deserve to burn in hell.

#139 Posted by ajamafalous (12344 posts) -

D, but also C.

I have no attachment to the boy or the girl. The dog is my dog.

#140 Edited by Fobwashed (2497 posts) -

@truthtellah: What? No duder. The only right answer is to save your dog!

#141 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6867 posts) -

A copy of Vagrant Story

#142 Edited by bilbomarks (71 posts) -

The girl, disaster rules, women and children first

I wonder where feminism sits on this "rule".

#143 Posted by ShaggE (7062 posts) -

I'd step back out, consider my options, go home, sleep on it, get up the next day, procrastinate for a while, then come back. If anyone made it out, I'll say "You're who I decided to save!". Then we'll become best friends.

... Well, good acquaintances, anyway.

... I guess we'd just nod and part ways, honestly.

... Okay, I'd develop a deep loathing of the survivor and refuse to attend their art show. I'll lie and say I'm busy, but between you and me? I'm not actually busy at all. Their art just stinks. "Ooh, I painted a lighthouse!" Well whoopedy-doo, Jim! So did every other hacky artist with a booth at the local street fair next to the guy selling American flag beer glasses and cheap wooden signs saying "Bless This Mess" that droves of grandparents chuckle at before settling on yet another goddamn ceramic plate with a rooster on it! Fuck your lighthouse! And another thing: That hat you always wear? Don't bother. We've all seen the bald spot, Jim. You're fooling nobody.

#144 Posted by Zevvion (2841 posts) -

I honestly can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't be able to save all three, if you could save one. I can imagine not being able to save any of them because the smoke knocks you out faster than you can think. But if you can save one, you can save all three.

#145 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (3547 posts) -

A better non-ambiguous question is - you wake up in a room with burning fire in it. Before you are an unknown boy, an unknown girl, and an unknown dog. The ceiling above you creaks as if about to fall, yet an open window is to your back with a seven foot drop to the ground...what do you do in the next five seconds.

A) Jump out the window screaming "follow me!"
B) Grab the boy, leap out the window screaming follow me
C) Grab the girl, leap out the window screaming follow me
D) Grab the dog, leap out the window screaming follow me
E) Grab the boy and girl toss them out the window and die with the dog
F) Grab the girl and dog shove them out, or boy and dog to shove out....and die with the remaining
G) Just gather everyone in your arms and die together
H) Something else...

I would do C, just a choice. My assumption would be the dog would at least follow, and the boy might if he's quick. Saving the girl is probably sexist on my part, but I think my masculine paternal instinct would override to save the girl when a quick choice is needed.

#146 Posted by BanzaiBandito (78 posts) -

Sticking to the rules of the game: I would try to beat the fire out using the dog. After tossing the smoldering corpse of the animal aside, I'd save whichever child was closest, and hopefully have the courage to die trying to rescue the second.

I hope I'm conveying how little I care for the life of an animal compared to a child. And, I LOVE animals.

#147 Edited by forkboy (1307 posts) -

I'd save a human before an animal without any hesitation. As to whether I save boy or girl, I cannot really guess until I'm in that situation. Too many variables.

#148 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3867 posts) -

@seppli said:

@nasp said:

can you say why you can only save one?just was curious if you came up with a reason.

They all got broken legs, and your meek frame is incapable of carrying more than one. If you are a big guy, they're just all really fat.

You're forgetting I'm The Flash.

#149 Posted by Camelizer (140 posts) -

Shit I don't know. Do I know these kids? Like is this my friends child or just some random kid I've never met before? Too many variables when considering just who to save between the girl and boy. If they are both the same age I'd probably save the girl just mainly because I'm sexist like that. As someone said before disaster rules would be in effect for me.

However, I think I would save my dog. I haven't had the pleasure of having a dog in like a decade instead I'm stuck with five fucking cats. Dealing with them in a fire would be fairly easy, just chuck them out the nearest window and let their natural landing abilities take care of the rest. But yeah, I'd probably save my dog over the life of a human child. I mean yeah children are "innocent" but for how long? I've gone through high school and am in college, I know how those "innocent little darlings" turn out. However, dogs are innocent their entire lives in a way that humans can never hope to achieve. So in my eyes I'm saving one of the purest examples of life there is.

I've also accepted long ago that the value I place on the lives of people and animals is a hypocritical mess. For example, I hunt and thus have killed deer and don't feel bad about it. You kick my cat(s) and I'll break your leg and enjoy it. You hurt a child and I'll end you. Child and my dog in burning building, dog lives.

#150 Posted by RobotHamster (4236 posts) -

The dog is the only answer.