You Toronto nerds have a lot to answer for.

Avatar image for phantomjockeydacrop
PhantomJockeyDaCrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm no stranger to the Internet. As much as I'd like to think it esoteric/a sign of excellent character, my taste in video games/television shows/memes can definitely stoop to the lowest common denominator.

(Except for lolcats. Never lolcats.)

I can assure you I'm just as big of a nerd as you are. I attend cons. I read scans of Weekly Jump fervently. Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader blew me away, as do most of the works of Neil Gaiman. Watchmen might seriously be one of the best things committed to print. I think Suda 51 is a genius. I would love to take apart your barely-better-than-a-flowchart Ken groove in SFIV, SCIV, or Blazblue. I can break these cuffs. But guys, I'm disappointed.

I walked into your comic book store today and the first thing I see is you and your friends, your neckbeard cluttering the cash register while your friends sat at a table and watched an old episode of Transformers. I came around to browse, mostly to find some volumes of Scott Pilgrim for my friend (who wanted to know what I was working as an extra for over the weekend).

The entire time, in various degrees of porky/nasal  you guys perpetuated the stereotype.

You managed to wear out references to Megatron, the SFII action figure commericals, AND ghost riding the whip in the three minutes I spent in the store. I think all these things are pretty hilarious. I like all of them. And yet, under no circumstances would I ever want to talk to you in person about them.

Why? Because you're repulsive! Discounting the aesthetic deficiencies, the aura of unwarranted self-importance radiates from your sweaty pores like stink from a pig. When you asked if anyone knew what "Ghost Riding The Whip" was, the guffaw your friend let out and the mucus-clogged "I think he has!" that followed made me cringe. Memespouting has a time and place, and it's not when you're running a public fucking comic book store. You'll embarass everyone who isn't part of your homoerotic hierarchy out of the premises, and lose out on several sales.

(LE collector's editions of the latest little-girl-witch-touching DS game don't come cheap, man.)

You mentioned this site. I mostly stick around hg101, gamespite, the major newsblogs including kotaku (despite its many deficiencies and a distaste for most of their writers, except obviously McWhertor) . I came here to tell you to feel bad about yourself. From learning, we become better people.

-PEACE-

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

Dude Torontos awesome, ive never been there but thats what ive heard so i can only assume the nerds are the best they can be

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ahriman22

YEAH! SCREW TORONTO! MONTREAL FTW BITCHES!

But really, what?

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7

Well Toronto is a horrible place with horrible people.

What do you expect?

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Quality post.

PhantomJockeyDaCrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Coltonio7 said:
" Well Toronto is a horrible place with horrible people.What do you expect? "

Well, I don't know. If you're not a massively unfashionable blister-handed shut-in, it's actually pretty decent.
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Sabata

Oh no!! The NERDS have invaded Giant Bomb dot com!!!!

But in all seriousness, there is no time and place for memespouting.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Xeiphyer

Wait so did you make an account and come here because you assumed we were all nerds or something? I agree with your post and it is for the most part quality and truth. However I am somewhat under the impression you have implied that those nerds represent the entire Giantbomb community, I can assure you that the vast majority of active members are not as you described.

Also, while I agree that those nerds you described should be a little more socially conscious, the fact remains that you were in a COMIC BOOK STORE, which traditionally are places where one would expect to find such people. I find it interesting that you refer to it as a "public fucking comic book store" Because it could be argued that the vast majority of the population will never step into a comic book store, nor ever consider doing so. In fact, a large portion of customers to these places are the very type of person you so offhandedly insulted. In reality a place selling comics and action figures of Transformers and Street Fighter games seems like the perfect safe haven for those who are socially inept to engage in "Memespouting" amongst themselves.

I would like to point out that while I am nowhere near the nerd you claim to be, having never been to a con or bought anything from a comic book store, and I did not enjoy Street Fighter 4 at all, I would still rather become one of those "self-importance" radiating, "memespouting" nerds than become what you are; A narcissistic asshole who decided that he is better than other human beings and can judge those he deems to be below him. You are the one whom self-importance oozes from. You are the one who creates a hierarchy and declares yourself better than another.

So before you go judging some nerd that you don't know in a comic book store, just remember; the only difference between him and you is that when you walk out that door, you act like a dick to hide your insecurities rather than just being yourself. So congratulations! You are a self-contradicting asshole. 

Oh and, "I came here to tell you to feel bad about yourself. From learning, we become better people."

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kouerson

Someone is a little mad and is probably one of those nerds.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rinkalicous

Two quality posts, 1 thread? Giant Bomb is awesome!

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Alex_Murphy

You came here and made an account just to say that? What was the name of the comic shop?

PhantomJockeyDaCrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xeiphyer said:
" Wait so did you make an account and come here because you assumed we were all nerds or something? I agree with your post and it is for the most part quality and truth. However I am somewhat under the impression you have implied that those nerds represent the entire Giantbomb community, I can assure you that the vast majority of active members are not as you described.Also, while I agree that those nerds you described should be a little more socially conscious, the fact remains that you were in a COMIC BOOK STORE, which traditionally are places where one would expect to find such people. I find it interesting that you refer to it as a "public fucking comic book store" Because it could be argued that the vast majority of the population will never step into a comic book store, nor ever consider doing so. In fact, a large portion of customers to these places are the very type of person you so offhandedly insulted. In reality a place selling comics and action figures of Transformers and Street Fighter games seems like the perfect safe haven for those who are socially inept to engage in "Memespouting" amongst themselves.I would like to point out that while I am nowhere near the nerd you claim to be, having never been to a con or bought anything from a comic book store, and I did not enjoy Street Fighter 4 at all, I would still rather become one of those "self-importance" radiating, "memespouting" nerds than become what you are; A narcissistic asshole who decided that he is better than other human beings and can judge those he deems to be below him. You are the one whom self-importance oozes from. You are the one who creates a hierarchy and declares yourself better than another. So before you go judging some nerd that you don't know in a comic book store, just remember; the only difference between him and you is that when you walk out that door, you act like a dick to hide your insecurities rather than just being yourself. So congratulations! You are a self-contradicting asshole.  Oh and, "I came here to tell you to feel bad about yourself. From learning, we become better people." "

OH~YOU~MAD~CUZ~I'M~STYLIN~ON~YOU

@Alex_Murphy said:
" You came here and made an account just to say that? What was the name of the comic shop? "
Pretty sure it's called Red Nails II.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By natetodamax

Canada is a myth

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

I don't think that the things you like propogate a stereotype, but rather the attitude you carry about yourself.  Many people will look at "comic nerds" and automatically believe that they are all fat 35 year olds that live in their mom's basements and never get laid.  Not true.  They've gotten much skinnier over the years, and some of them have actually gotten to feel a chick up down there.  Progress is being made.  = D

In all seriousness, the increasing popularity in mainstream media of things that were once considered to be too nerdy and such has helped take some of the bullying pressure off of the backs of "nerds" everywhere.  Now, virtually everyone is a nerd and they just don't know it.

WITH THAT SAID...carrying the attitude of a "nerd" will definitely cause people to see you as one.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bubahula

@Kouerson said:

"Someone is a little mad and is probably one of those nerds."

this

hmmm angry nerd in a comic book store got mad at people he percieved as BIGGER nerds, and made an account to take his frustartion out on....people who wasted 2 minutes of their lives reading this post

BRAVO

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

Canadians and their "Canadian Bacon". That shit is just sliced ham! Also, the only thing worse than a Canadian is a French Canadian.

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Win

Based on your opening post, you could be talking about anywhere in Canada or America (and maybe other places around the world).

Not specifically Toronto. 

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gizmo

I fear internet culture and identity is being lost to the mainstream.
What can we do to preserve it, I ask?

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Xeiphyer
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" Canadians and their "Canadian Bacon". That shit is just sliced ham! Also, the only thing worse than a Canadian is a French Canadian. "
How dare.

Also OP is a dick. still. lol. I don't get mad on the internets because everyone is tough and cool on the internet. =P I fear for my life.

Canadian bacon is awesome. Although, Have I ever had american bacon I wonder. Wait. Whats in american bacon? ... ...  ... IF its not ham? then what is it? Mexicans?
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FrankCanada97
@MiamiRedHawks said:
" Canadians and their "Canadian Bacon". That shit is just sliced ham! Also, the only thing worse than a Canadian is a French Canadian. "
Sliced ham! I'll have you know that it's actually back bacon, and damn good bacon at that.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bigandtasty
@Gizmo said:
" I fear internet culture and identity is being lost to the mainstream.What can we do to preserve it, I ask? "
they can have it
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NickL
@Xeiphyer:Bacon

also, i refuse to type out a well thought response to the creator
TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheDoorman

Okay so wait your p'oed because you went to a comic book store and ran into nerds.

DUDE.

Its a comic book store what do you expect, sports fans?

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Xeiphyer
@NickL:  :( Damn wikipedia. I'm going to track down some of this american bacon and see how it tastes.

Also whats so bad about ham?! Ham is awesome.
NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NickL
@Xeiphyer: american bacon is the most amazing tasty heart stopping(<- literally) thing ever invented
AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AllanIceman

Mmmmm.... bacon...

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By pakx
@PhantomJockeyDaCrop: Wait wait wait, so, you came to a comic book store, and there were nerds, and that pissed you off? i'm super confused. i've been to Red Nails 2. many times, it's my regular comic book shop, and more often than not, there are a bunch of guys talking and laughing. sometimes about nerdy stuff! hell, sometimes i join in! and if you're so up your own ass, i dont think i'd want you joining in on our conversation.

i'm still really not sure what you're saying here other than "i cant believe these nerds were being nerds! and were so jovial about it! stop having fun, jerks! be ashamed so i can cross my arms over my chest and feel superior!"

a comic book shop seems like just the place to hang around and be a big geek, especially a dusty little basement like Red Nails.

as a footnote, Red Nails is one of my very favorite places in the city.  it's a comic book shop at the corner of jane and bloor, and yeah, there are a large group of regulars who come in and talk and laugh and have fun. they talk about nerdy things because they are nerds. and in that place? that's okay. you can get as offended as you want by the very idea that they dare speak of the dark internet things that lie in the bowers of social outcast, but those guys are the bread and butter of any comic book store, not arrogant shitstains who wear the term "nerd" like a badge of irony.
Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what do you expect IN CANADA??

i live in canada btw, i know what i'm talking about!
pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pakx

this is infuriating me so i'm gonna post again.

"You have alot to answer for?" what the fuck does anyone have to answer for? what does that even mean? the last time i went into Red Nails some random-ass guy handed me a pile of comic books. just handed them to me didn't ask for a dime or even a thanks! yeah, what a bunch of ass holes.

MrRburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrRburns

So I'm just gonna fess up here, I'm one of those guys that was in Red Nails the other day, and frankly, fuck you. Guess what? Earlier we were watching The Tick. After that we were playing the board game Pandemic. Wanna act like a jackass about those things as well? 

So yeah, we're nerds. Who the hell cares and what gives you the right to act like a snobby bitch about us enjoying ourselves? One of us is a comic book writer, and the other two are computer network technicians, so yeah we're dorks. I never thought that someone going to a comic book store would ever have the gall to look down their noses at us. You should get the stick out of your ass and realize that not everyone will be a whiny little bitch like yourself.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bubahula
@MrRburns said:
"So I'm just gonna fess up here, I'm one of those guys that was in Red Nails the other day, and frankly, fuck you. Guess what? Earlier we were watching The Tick. After that we were playing the board game Pandemic. Wanna act like a jackass about those things as well? 

So yeah, we're nerds. Who the hell cares and what gives you the right to act like a snobby bitch about us enjoying ourselves? One of us is a comic book writer, and the other two are computer network technicians, so yeah we're dorks. I never thought that someone going to a comic book store would ever have the gall to look down their noses at us. You should get the stick out of your ass and realize that not everyone will be a whiny little bitch like yourself.
"

YES i am so glad you stood up for yourself, it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling,     
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sprizmo

Toronto is an amazing city, and I love their comic book shops. (Accept they are really stuck up at Grey Region Comics, I asked for help finding something one time and this emo-nerd hybrid just stared at me as if thinking "Oh god, not another one of these douchebags who need help with something."

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By rinkalicous
@MrRburns said:
" So I'm just gonna fess up here, I'm one of those guys that was in Red Nails the other day, and frankly, fuck you. Guess what? Earlier we were watching The Tick. After that we were playing the board game Pandemic. Wanna act like a jackass about those things as well? 

"
You sir, are a legend. Good man yourself. I second what Bubahula said; you could have just walked away, but instead you showed him, and everyone, that you're not afraid of being proud of yourself. And that's awesome.
pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pakx
@Sprizmo: Grey Region is a fucking pit of lameness. the guy who runs it wanted to hire me because i was in his store talking comics with a buddy who wanted to get into them as we browsed the walls, and ended up selling about 400 dollars worth of product to everyone within earshot.

then hired someone else who ended up being incompitent, then hired me, then let me go because it took me more than 2 hours to reorganize his horribly kept backstock of old shitty comics, which apparently i did wrong by organizing specific titles by number and not whatever the fuck he had going on.
Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Happy

Haha, it's like you wandered into a bar and were surprised to see people acting drunk.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By Kazona

I'm not really one to stoop to these levels because I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to see someone talk about other people with such utter disrespect as the TC makes it impossible to keep quiet.

So Mr. PhantomJockeyDaCrop, to you I can say only this: You, sir, are a douchebag.

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pakx
@MrRburns said:
" So I'm just gonna fess up here, I'm one of those guys that was in Red Nails the other day, and frankly, fuck you. Guess what? Earlier we were watching The Tick. After that we were playing the board game Pandemic. Wanna act like a jackass about those things as well? 

"
@MrRburns: Jigs up, that was me in there too, you're a better man than i for coming out and saying it, i just didn't want to give this dick hole any leverage by fessing up that it was us.

(for those of you who are wondering i'm the comic book writer, and Burns is one of the Technicians.)

As for the Ghostriding thing,  both the clerk and i are big hip hop fans. i had mentioned it to him because he doesn't really stay up with the internet stuff, and internet or no, Ghost riding is something ridiculous and hilarious and hip hop. we weren't arbitrarily spouting off  Memes we were talking about the act of ghostriding in specific as something odd and lame that hip hop culture has produced recently, but you wouldn't know that because as you said yourself you only heard 3 minutes of  the conversation, and had your head stuffed up your ass, so I'm sure things seemed muffled.

i think the thing that infuriates me the most about the OP is that it basically says that nerdy people can't just be nerds, not even at a nerd mecca like Red Nails 2. we're supposed to shy away and be ashamed of the way we are and the things we like, or at least be pretentious enough to buffer everything we say and do with upright self awareness and irony.

i am fat. i wear nerdy t-shirts and my beard tends to grow back awkwardly. my comic book and DVD collections are excessive and amongst friends i tend to prattle on about obscure comic books and go into great detail about why i like a certain movie or video game.

i also have a girlfriend, i go out every friday night and hang out with people who's company i enjoy, i work a day job that demands a hefty level of social interaction and i'm a damn good salesman - something that requires some major social skills because i work at a place with a high diversity of people.

every other saturday i got to Red Nails 2, the same comic book shop i've been going too since i moved to this wonderful city, and i deal with the same friendly clerk named Sam, who gladly sets aside the things i ask him too and is extremely patient with the time it takes me to pick them all up. he's become a good friend over the years and i've repayed his kindness by bringing friends to the store to hang out, buy comics and generally make business for him. we sit, we talk, and we unwind, because a store like Red Nails is just the place to do it. if you have a problem with that, you're more than welcome to roll on over to The Silver Snail or The Beguiling, and bask in the stuck up trendiness. Red Nails will do just fine without your business.
FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FrankCanada97

Wow, what are the odds?