Young adulthood, existentialism, and podcasts!

LuchaDeerFear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By LuchaDeerFear

Things have changed brothers. I'm a different person than I was a few years ago. College is over and I've been working a full time job as a paramedic for over 2 years. I know everybody says that college is the best time of your life but goddamn! Being a real adult is worse than I imagined. Sometimes I feel like I sold my soul for a steady paycheck. I've gone through periods where I've been like "fuck games" and I take them all out of my room, thinking they're just a waste of time. But I've always relapsed; usually with a bender of a gaming weekend.

Young adulthood sure is a hard transitional period. I feel like I'm stagnating, yet when I get free time on the weekends, instead of pushing myself forward I often delve into a make believe world of video games in favor of improving my reality. Of course this isn't helped by the fact that I've been consuming a fair amount of alcohol....

Do you guys ever get the urge to drop video games entirely, with the hope that in doing so your reality will improve? I find it odd that I probably spend more time listening to gaming podcasts than I do actually gaming. Gaming podcasts are valuable to me because they make me feel less lonely and they make my commute more bearable. But sometimes I feel like they may be doing more harm than good. Maybe it's bad to often have voices in your head yet not be able to participate in the conversation? Maybe podcasts are making me even more introverted? Maybe I should just sit in silence and contemplate more often?

I don't know guys. Is anybody picking up what I'm putting down? Anyway.... Stay frosty fellow young adults!

LuchaDeerFear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LuchaDeerFear

Things have changed brothers. I'm a different person than I was a few years ago. College is over and I've been working a full time job as a paramedic for over 2 years. I know everybody says that college is the best time of your life but goddamn! Being a real adult is worse than I imagined. Sometimes I feel like I sold my soul for a steady paycheck. I've gone through periods where I've been like "fuck games" and I take them all out of my room, thinking they're just a waste of time. But I've always relapsed; usually with a bender of a gaming weekend.

Young adulthood sure is a hard transitional period. I feel like I'm stagnating, yet when I get free time on the weekends, instead of pushing myself forward I often delve into a make believe world of video games in favor of improving my reality. Of course this isn't helped by the fact that I've been consuming a fair amount of alcohol....

Do you guys ever get the urge to drop video games entirely, with the hope that in doing so your reality will improve? I find it odd that I probably spend more time listening to gaming podcasts than I do actually gaming. Gaming podcasts are valuable to me because they make me feel less lonely and they make my commute more bearable. But sometimes I feel like they may be doing more harm than good. Maybe it's bad to often have voices in your head yet not be able to participate in the conversation? Maybe podcasts are making me even more introverted? Maybe I should just sit in silence and contemplate more often?

I don't know guys. Is anybody picking up what I'm putting down? Anyway.... Stay frosty fellow young adults!

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SexyToad

I'm still in high school, so I'm not on my own yet. I don't have to worry about bills.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SexyToad said:

I'm still in high school

Then how can you call yourself the sexiest all the damn time? You're not a Persona protagonist, so it just comes off as unnerving.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PillClinton

I'm indeed picking up what you're putting down, but I find having a hobby that's not consuming something made by others helps even everything out.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheHumanDove

Naw, I never got into the whole hodge podge 'I'm so mature' college phase. I just stay being myself and do what I enjoy

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mirado

@LuchaDeerFear: I understand completely. I find myself bouncing between periods of game...apathy, for lack of a better word, and then just heavy bursts of it. For instance, I just blew five hours on Animal Crossing Wii...and I don't even care for it all that much, but before that I had boxed practically everything up for a half a month because I wanted a clean space.

The key thing is to supplement anything you do by yourself with time spend with others. Even if it's just long phone calls with friends who aren't around you anymore, you need to have that social interaction, something to let your brain vent (even if it's subconsciously). It's a healthy cycle, in my opinion; blow a night with your friends, then spend the next on some time alone to recover.

I think you'll find that you'll enjoy both pursuits a lot more when you play them off of each other. Two great tastes that taste great together! :D

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Have you ever read Black Flies? It's about a paramedic in New York during the 90's and all the insanely fucked up stuff that happens.

And don't stress out too much. Weekends are basically designed for being wasted.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Mirado said:

@LuchaDeerFear: I understand completely. I find myself bouncing between periods of game...apathy, for lack of a better word, and then just heavy bursts of it. For instance, I just blew five hours on Animal Crossing Wii...and I don't even care for it all that much, but before that I had boxed practically everything up for a half a month because I wanted a clean space.

The key thing is to supplement anything you do by yourself with time spend with others. Even if it's just long phone calls with friends who aren't around you anymore, you need to have that social interaction, something to let your brain vent (even if it's subconsciously). It's a healthy cycle, in my opinion; blow a night with your friends, then spend the next on some time alone to recover.

I think you'll find that you'll enjoy both pursuits a lot more when you play them off of each other. Two great tastes that taste great together! :D

That reminded me that Animal crossing for the 3DS is a think. 
ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

@Video_Game_King said:

@SexyToad said:

I'm still in high school

Then how can you call yourself the sexiest all the damn time? You're not a Persona protagonist, so it just comes off as unnerving.

He can call himself "sexytoad the sexiest" because, well, he is the sexiest.....

Anyway, I'm also still in high school, so I don't exactly know what it's like to have to pay bills/be an adult/have responsibilities/etc. But, because of school (and all the AP classes that fill my day up with homework...that's ironic, because here I am on the internet, not doing homework) I do have periods where I don't play any games, but I try to fit in some on the weekends (binge gaming?).

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ManU_Fan10ne said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@SexyToad said:

I'm still in high school

He can call himself "sexytoad the sexiest" because, well, he is the sexiest.....

Tatsuya would like to disagree.
Tatsuya would like to disagree.
oneidwille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oneidwille

@TheHumanDove said:

Naw, I never got into the whole hodge podge 'I'm so mature' college phase. I just stay being myself and do what I enjoy

Preach!