• 52 results
#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Recently, with people such as Samantha Brick in the news talking about the struggles attractive women must go through, there is an uprising of people who agree with her and want to spread the message that attractive females deserve to be treated with as much respect as other people do. Part of this movement is a new musical female duo by the name off ''Double Take'' who have written and sang a song about the slanderous comments that are directed to people of their nature.

They also go to the trouble of reassuring the public that while they are attractive, they are still the same as everyone else. The have to deal with comments such as people calling them stuck up and spreading rumours about them even when they did not attend said party that the rumour is referring to.

I feel as this is a very serious issue that should be addressed by the government and should be treated as serious as racial outcasting.

They also have to deal with the expectations of them being perfect, which is unfair. Along with the magnificent lyrics that go in-depth of various social issues people of their stature must go through. they also use their magnificent vocal abilities to hit various notes and harmonies perfectly.

What do you think of the video and issue at hand?

#2 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

Life's rough for the rich and sexy.

#3 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4284 posts) -

That girl on the right seems like that kind of girl that just follows another one around....  

#4 Edited by believer258 (12184 posts) -
#5 Edited by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

The message just sounds so out of touch. It's such a privileged problem that isn't even really a problem. Now, to be fair, good looking people like anyone else who has physical characteristics are set back by them in some way by the characteristics that stand out. I don't doubt that a 'hot' person has different but likely as many problems pertaining to their 'hotness' as does an overweight person pertaining to their weight. BUT, the difference is that a 'hot' person usually has several advantages over people who have problems pertaining to other physical characteristics that stand out.

Like I said, I don't doubt that 'hot' people have problems due to their looks but complaining about them and looking for sympathy is emblematic of a naive mindset that assumes people with much larger problems, like unemployment and trying to pay rent if one is even lucky enough to live somewhere, care at all.

#6 Posted by Sackmanjones (4761 posts) -

Yeah its kinda obvious they just made it up for fun but my god its still fucking atrocious.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@JasonR86: well, attractive women are more likely to be raped. Would you say that rape is less important than unemployment? also consider that if an attractive women is getting hired because of her looks, she's probably working under some lecherous dude that just wants to stare at her/do much dirtier things all day. prolly a little creepy.

#8 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@believer258 @Sackmanjones I don't care if it's made up for a joke, it doesn't change the fact it's FUCKING TERRIBLE.
#9 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

-___- their complaining about there attactiveness and how their percieved.

all i can say is welcome to the world just got to deal with it . people stereotype everyone does it everyone is guilty of it just got to ignore it.

#10 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86: well, attractive women are more likely to be raped.

You're trolling him right?

#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86: well, attractive women are more likely to be raped. Would you say that rape is less important than unemployment? also consider that if an attractive women is getting hired because of her looks, she's probably working under some lecherous dude that just wants to stare at her/do much dirtier things all day. prolly a little creepy.

Do you have any links to that apparent correlation for the whole rape stat? Not that I don't trust you. But I don't. As for the creepy dude...sure, I guess? I work in a field where people are happy when they have enough money to feed their kids. People who dream of one day being off welfare. So I have no sympathy for the plight of the attractive person. Like I said, I'm sure their good looks have caused them some difficulty but I only have so much sympathy to give (maybe a failing of mine but it's just how it is for me) and I chose to give it to those who I feel are more deserving of it. An attractive woman who has a steady job but has to deal with a boss who objectifies her is a problem. Not feeding your children is a bigger problem.

#12 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@JasonR86: I am both poor and ugly but I would imagine that people who rape people would prefer people who are attractive? I don't have any stats but I am tired and that seemed like a logical leap to make in my head, if I was being dumb my apologies.

Also attractive people can be poor as well ya know, being attractive does not guarantee you success. I suppose that's not what that video was about I dunno i didn't watch it but just because someone's attractive does not make them immediately less sympathetic than someone who's not.

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9724 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86: I am both poor and ugly but I would imagine that people who rape people would prefer people who are attractive? I don't have any stats but I am tired and that seemed like a logical leap to make in my head, if I was being dumb my apologies.

Also attractive people can be poor as well ya know, being attractive does not guarantee you success. I suppose that's not what that video was about I dunno i didn't watch it but just because someone's attractive does not make them immediately less sympathetic than someone who's not.

You're bringing up issues that are not related to the controversy that this video is parodying. The whole 'plight of the attractive woman' was based around this idea that attractive women (but I added in men by saying 'people' because I'm just that culturally aware) have to deal with misconceptions about them based on assumptions drawn from their looks. So, for example, an attractive blonde woman might be unfairly characterized as being 'dumb' when she really isn't. I just...when the world is as shitty as it is and people suffer all across the world including apparently great nations like the US this 'plight' isn't a problem that I can even be bothered by. I guess I might sound cold by saying that but fuck it.

#14 Posted by pekoe212 (460 posts) -

I think this issue of how attractive women are treated because of their looks is part of a larger subject: the disproportionate importance placed on the physical appearance of women. We/society/whatever assess their character, value and how they are to be treated in so many subtle ways based on that one thing.

#15 Posted by Shrimpy (93 posts) -

It doesn't really matter how you look into it, the song is still pretty bad.

#16 Edited by Akyho (1698 posts) -

Yeah....this reminds of a group people I saw with protest signs walking through the city. The signs said "I am hot,if your not, you should die." and other stuff like "Dont hate us because we are beautiful. Hate yourself for being ugly." I would have laughed if it was funny. Because of such people I place this video in the same category.

#17 Edited by MrCaptain (367 posts) -

I wonder why only girls are the subject of issues like these. My guess is that men also have the same problems but they just don't give a shit.

#18 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Well, I can tell you, if I was going to rape somebody, I'd at least make sure they were attractive. I don't see the point in raping an ugly chick.

Also, the internet takes a shitty joke song way too seriously. Big fucking surprise.

#19 Posted by MrCaptain (367 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU: This kinda resembles the argument of "if you dress like a slut you get what coming to you" argument.

I don't think rapers hides in the bushes waiting for a nice girl to just walk by and then rapes them, it happens but the majority of all rape victims are raped by a person they already know, at parties or in their homes. People who rape more often then not don't rape because they want to have sex, they just do it to degrade another human being. So my conclusion here is that raper don't really choose their victime they just grab whoever is closest, therefore I think ugly people get equal the amount of rape then a pretty one, fair is fair!

#20 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

@MrCaptain said:

I wonder why only girls are the subject of issues like these. My guess is that men also have the same problems but they just don't give a shit.

lol there's a reason why most bars tend to be populated by men. guys dont talk about there problems, we bury them, or drown them in booze or (add your crutch here).

men do give a shit its just we never admit to such things

#21 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Hey guys, I don't think we were supposed to take this thread seriously.

#22 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

O U guyz

#23 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8606 posts) -

Issues like these you solve by doing, not talking/singing.

And also accepting that not everyone's gonna think the same, there's always gonna be some strange thinkers in the crowd.
I just love myself and who I am, rest of the world will just have to deal!

#24 Posted by habster3 (3600 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

I feel as this is a very serious issue that should be addressed by the government and should be treated as serious as racial outcasting.

They also have to deal with the expectations of them being perfect, which is unfair. Along with the magnificent lyrics that go in-depth of various social issues people of their stature must go through. they also use their magnificent vocal abilities to hit various notes and harmonies perfectly.

I've missed your sarcasm so much :')

Yeah, this song's pretty atrocious; glad it's just a joke

#25 Posted by sashimi_biscut (99 posts) -

@Animasta said:

This is completely true. If a woman is hired by someone because she is hot, chances are the employer is going to end up wanting sex from them. If the employer is the type to hire someone based on their looks, they are also probably the type to think the woman owes him/her sex.

I would also like to note that attractive women are not necessarily more likely to be raped. There are many different types of rape and a rapist is much more likely to choose a woman based on other thing than her attractiveness. Rape is about power, and sometimes rape is about hurting someone that reminds them of something. That is why some men rape older women, or some rapist choose a woman who has a certain color hair or eyes.

#26 Edited by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

That song was shit.

They aren't sexy.

You are in the public eye, people will make comments because you're showing yourself to millions of fucking people by your own choosing. You could give up your lifestyle at any time if you don't like the positive and negative comments and rumors.

#27 Posted by Little_Socrates (5711 posts) -

The actual MUSIC here (not their singing/talking) isn't actually that bad, though. It sounds like a Tik Tok rip-off, but it's not that bad. I'm calling it, still better than Friday.

Which means it's also better than Friday-equivalent "Imma Be."

Which means it's waaaaay better than The Black Eyed Peas' worst song, "The Time (Dirty Bit)."

Which means it's practically awesome in comparison to will.i.am.'s "T.H.E. (The Hardest Ever)"

Which, of course, means it's in no way even close to the worst song ever, Lil' Wayne's "Phone Home."

#28 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -
#29 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

TeraBrites parody is better 

#30 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: At least the girl in that video was attractive. And she could sing.

#31 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Still_I_Cry: Yup
#32 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I might kill myself over this. It's that fucking dumb.

#33 Posted by Harkat (1119 posts) -

It must be tough to have people be jealous of you because you are sexually attractive.

The song is awful BTW.

#34 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

"We produced the video as a favor."

I love how it says that below the video.

:P

#35 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

Omg that was awful and give me a fucking break, this topic is a joke.

#36 Posted by AlexW00d (6433 posts) -

Neku you're the best fucking person for posting this.

@spartanlolz92 said:

@MrCaptain said:

lol there's a reason why most bars tend to be populated by men. guys dont talk about there problems, we bury them, or drown them in booze or (add your crutch here).

men do give a shit its just we never admit to such things

I dunno what kind of bars you go to, but being mostly populated by dudes isn't something I have noticed.

#37 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Why God?! WHYYYYYYY?!

#38 Posted by AngelN7 (2973 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@JasonR86: well, attractive women are more likely to be raped

Apparently you think rapist are dudes who hide in bushes while wearing long coats waiting for a girl in a nice dress to pass by, rapist abound in 3rd world countries where it dosn't matter if the girl is attractive or not but how easy they can get away with raping her without getting caught so no that's not an issue for just attractive girls , for someone so avid in calling out "sexism" in games that comment was so out of touch with reality it's mind boggling.

#39 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Could we PLEASE take a break from the serious business debates and realize that Neku is being sarcastic? 

Hilarious thread bro xD

#40 Posted by spudtastic (542 posts) -

No one should be publicly disrespected, but looks are heavily used to the owner's advantage in modern society, to the point of socially disregarding the un-lovely.

#41 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

They have to endure some spite from random internet people, but have an easier time finding jobs, are paid more in general, have an easy time hooking up, and produce pretty children. I'd say it evens out.

#42 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I didn't watch the video because it will just annoy me, but my experience has largely been that a whole fucking lot of women absolutely hate women who are hotter and get more attention than them. Even right now my boss at work fired a hard working (and hot) girl because his fiance hates him working with women hotter than she is (she's a fat, mean cow). I've also known more than one girl who always makes friends with girls less attractive than they are.

Bitches man, bitches.

#43 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Didn't realise I stumbled into reddit. *clicks away*

#44 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

I sure wish I was good looking and rich, how easy life would be.

#45 Posted by Brendan (8131 posts) -

@S0ndor said:

They have to endure some spite from random internet people, but have an easier time finding jobs, are paid more in general, have an easy time hooking up, and produce pretty children. I'd say it evens out.

Recent research (sorry I can't remember where I found it, you don't have to take me seriously) that I read showed that attractive women find it very difficult to land jobs when interviewers are women, for what it's worth. Considering that HR departments are heavily staffed by women in many cases, and I think they have a legitimate complaint on their hands (in some cases).

I'll give you an example that isn't really that good but I'm going to say it anyway. At my gym (Goodlife Fitness) the new general manager was an overweight lady. Guess what characteristic was shared by 100% of female hires after that point? You guessed it! Being overweight! I think that it's not universal truth, but that female body issues definitely affect workplaces, from my limited experience.

#46 Posted by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

You're an attractive, rich, white woman. Three out of four ain't bad.

I'm two out of four.

#47 Edited by cexantus (131 posts) -

@McGhee:

Is it any surprising though? We're currently rearing a generation of women that are insecure, competitive, and overall shitty towards each other, who are constantly being told (whether subtly or overtly) that the key to a woman's happiness is her looks and her man. Is it really that much of a surprise that women tend to be suspicious over others that are deemed "too attractive?"

*taking time to actually watch the damn video:* The only really offensive thing about it is that it's not really funny--at all.

#48 Posted by EkajArmstro (397 posts) -

Is it sad I knew what the video was going to be before opening the topic?

#49 Posted by biospank (657 posts) -

No its not an issue that the goverment should even care about because we have bigger problems then some girls who feels like someone is spreading rumores of them. Which might or may not be true. But still we call that paranoia. And they only need to pay a visit to the doctor to get something for that.

#50 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

I don't find either of those girls attractive. Without a little "appearance" money, the one on the left just has a crazy rectangular head and a huge jaw, and the one on the right is just a chubby-faced boring-looking chick... for lack of better descriptors. I'd take a big-assed hoodrat over them anyday.