Your All Time Favorite Horror Movie? (Some Spoilers)

• 50 results
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By lemon360

And I mean movies that actually scared you first time watching.

For me it was the original 1979 ALIEN. My favorite aspects of the movie were: The mystery surrounding the Alien. Man you had no fucking idea about its life cycle appearence or origin. Also i found it was super effective by showing a little bit of the Alien at a time. This kept the suspence up and made you wonder. And lastly Ash. Man what a surprise to find out what he was. He was twitchy from the beginning and you noticed he was hidding something. And not to mention the movie had a wonderful cast, great environment, and an original plot at the time. And i found it funny how they spent the whole movie fighting 1 alien where Aliens and Resurection they took on dozens of them.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HandsomeDead

In Aliens they do fight dozens but it's not anywhere near a fair fight. Pretty much half the team gets owned in the first fight and from then on, Hicks and Co. are just trying to get away. On topic though, The Thing is my favourite horror film as it's the only one that's actually made me scared.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By c1337us

I have never been scared by a movie. But The Thing and Alien are both great choices and would have been up the top of my list somewhere as well.

Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Daemon

The Haunting (1963) and The Crawling Hand (1963) both scared the bejeezus out of me when I was a little kid. I used to sleep with the covers pulled around my head for fear of being strangled in my sleep and The Haunting continues to put me on edge to this day due to its creepy environment.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By DanielJW

I don't know if it qualifies as a horror movie, perhaps more of a thriller, but I really thought Rear Window was creepy. Hitchcock is a hell of a director.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By gingertastic_10

I must say, I really enjoyed 1408. I'm not the biggest fan of horror films. But I found it maybe not scary, but it screws with your mind pretty well.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Keyser_Soze

The original Wicker Man is damn scary. What makes it scary is simply the believability of the setting, the occult and witchcraft.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JoelTGM

The Shining is great.  It starts to build this uncomfortable feeling, and the setting for it is great.

Oh, and one that really scared me was Psycho.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

Typical horror movies don't scare me - what really frightens me are psychological thrillers, flicks that mess with my mind. One that stands out is The Mothman Prophecies. I was so shaken up and disturbed by that film, I can't even describe it.

Chhhhhapppstick.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Damn this one is hard. Jaws is my favorite across genres, but I consider it more of a thriller than a horror movie. In terms of horror, I'd say the original Halloween. Yeah, it's a slasher movie, but it was a damn good slasher movie. The endless stream of sequels and failed re-make aside, the original is one of my favorite movies ever.

EDIT: I just read the whole qualification that it had to be one that "scared you". Halloween made me jump, sure, but any movie can do that. It sounds stupid, but I gotta say the original Child's Play film still gives me the creeps to this day. I've always had a phobia of creepy looking dolls, and that movie magnified it ten fold for me as a kid. Growing up I watched the film and it's lesser sequels and have grown to appreciate it. One of the most iconic horror scenes ever in my mind is when Katherine Hicks' character finds out Chucky's battery pack is empty, and the doll's head spins around spouting "HI I'M CHUCKY WANNA PLAY?!".

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11  Edited By Black_Rose

The Exorcist III. That could change soon though, I just bought The Maid and I've heard very good things about it.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gingertastic_10 said:
" I must say, I really enjoyed 1408. I'm not the biggest fan of horror films. But I found it maybe not scary, but it screws with your mind pretty well. "
I hated that movie, my friend said it was SO SCARY, but most parts that were supposed to be scary were kinda funny, such as the homeless woman with a hammer.  Also, favorite horror movie is probably 28 Days Later, great movie although it wasn't really scary.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kmdrkul

I'm going to go with The Shining and Jacob's Ladder.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lemon360
@HandsomeDead: i forgot about the Thing. That was an awesome movie and watching the blood test scene for the first time was awesome :)@HandsomeDead said:
" In Aliens they do fight dozens but it's not anywhere near a fair fight. Pretty much half the team gets owned in the first fight and from then on, Hicks and Co. are just trying to get away. On topic though, The Thing is my favourite horror film as it's the only one that's actually made me scared. "

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Ooohhh, good thread!  Man, so many good movies listed.  MB mentioning The Mothman Prophecies and all of its amazingness definitely raised my eyebrow a little.

Here's some of my favorites, in no particular order:
  • Dead Alive
  • Re-Animator
  • Near Dark
  • The Midnight Meat Train
  • Phantasm
  • John Carpenter's The Thing
  • Misery
  • Audition

The list could go on forever.  Nonetheless, the one I ALWAYS go back to is:

EVIL DEAD 2

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bruce
@MB:

I enjoy films that create heavy tension. Recently, well, fairly recently, Pan's Labyrinth was the only movie that really did that for me. Even though I was not a huge fan of it, that one scene with the girl at the fantasy food table...that was just...yeah, can you make me shake more?
soul101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By soul101

a french movie called "Martyrs" it's messed up!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
@Bruce said:
" @MB: I enjoy films that create heavy tension. Recently, well, fairly recently, Pan's Labyrinth was the only movie that really did that for me. Even though I was not a huge fan of it, that one scene with the girl at the fantasy food table...that was just...yeah, can you make me shake more? "
Really?  That movie was pretty timid to me, even the part you are mentioning.  The Orphanage, on the other hand, is a tension-filled (and excellent) movie.  I'd suggest watching that if you want to end up with an overall sense "oh yeah, shit just ain't right around here" mixed with an ending that will make you go "ooooh no.......".  SAD FUCKING ENDING!
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By teh_destroyer

There are movies out there like The Ring, The Grudge, and The Omen that kind of fuck with my head a little. But The Orphanage is a real gem,and easily the best horror movie in the past 15 years.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheFreeMan

The Thing fucked me up when I watched it, so that's one of the top ones. I also have respect for the original Halloween-I think it pulled off the "mysterious, disguised psycho killer" thing the best.

I saw the original Aliens waaaay after it was released but I still thought it was great, even if I knew the entire lifecycle of the creature and what it looked like. Finally, I think that 1408 is maybe the best major horror movie to come out in the last couple of years. Because of the plot, damn near anything can happen in that movie so I was kind of on edge just waiting to see what else was gonna torment that man.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
@teh_destroyer said:
" There are movies out there like The Ring, The Grudge, and The Omen that kind of fuck with my head a little. But The Orphanage is a real gem,and easily the best horror movie in the past 15 years."
I don't know if I could really consider it a horror movie.  I mean, it's got some elements of horror, but it borderlines pretty hard on thriller and suspense more than horror.  Then again, if you go back and look at The Devil's Backbone, that's a hard one to define as well.  It's a ghost story, but it still holds more in common with thrillers and suspense films.  However, since most people tend to consider The Orphanage a "horror" film, I guess the categorization is what it is.  =  /

With all that said, I forgot to mention Cronos.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By teh_destroyer
@jakob187 said:
" @teh_destroyer said:
" There are movies out there like The Ring, The Grudge, and The Omen that kind of fuck with my head a little. But The Orphanage is a real gem,and easily the best horror movie in the past 15 years."
I don't know if I could really consider it a horror movie.  I mean, it's got some elements of horror, but it borderlines pretty hard on thriller and suspense more than horror.  Then again, if you go back and look at The Devil's Backbone, that's a hard one to define as well.  It's a ghost story, but it still holds more in common with thrillers and suspense films.  However, since most people tend to consider The Orphanage a "horror" film, I guess the categorization is what it is.  =  /

With all that said, I forgot to mention Cronos.
"
I know what you meen, its just actually scary compared to the other crap out there that they try to feed us.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_A_Drain
@HandsomeDead said:
"In Aliens they do fight dozens but it's not anywhere near a fair fight. Pretty much half the team gets owned in the first fight and from then on, Hicks and Co. are just trying to get away. On topic though, The Thing is my favourite horror film as it's the only one that's actually made me scared."

This.

Aliens is an action film, not really horror. I really like the original Alien, but John Carpenters The Thing is my absolute favorite horror film. Mostly because although it didnt scare me as much as some japanese horror, I can actually watch the film without being scared to death and having to look away, or being bored to tears. It's the perfect balance for me. I also really love the setting.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jakob187
@teh_destroyer said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @teh_destroyer said:

With all that said, I forgot to mention Cronos."
I know what you meen, its just actually scary compared to the other crap out there that they try to feed us.
"
I wouldn't say that it's "scary", but it definitely exudes that "shit's not right" vibe.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Black_Rose
@jakob187 said:
"Audition "
I can't believe I forgot to mention Audition.

The brilliance of this movie was building up everything for those last freaky 15 minutes. Just amazing.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187
@Black_Rose said:
" @jakob187 said:
"Audition "
I can't believe I forgot to mention Audition. The brilliance of this movie was building up everything for those last freaky 15 minutes. Just amazing. "
Definitely one of the most fucked-up reveals in cinematic history...even though it still doesn't beat the ending to The Mist for "OH FUCK" moment!!!  lol  Nonetheless, Takashi Miike knows how to make some good horror/splatter flicks.  Imprint was good as well, if not under-produced and a bit on the short and surreal side.

If you walked into the Awesome Factory, it would be lined with shelves upon shelves of the ending to The Mist.  That was a damn good horror flick also.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Jeust
Movies that scared me shitless:

Nightmare on Elmstreet

The Shining

Brainscan

The Exorcist

The Orphanage

Fragile

Rec

Blair Witch Project (The original)

The Reaping

The Mothman Profecies

Night of The Living Dead

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Black_Rose said:
" @jakob187 said:
"Audition "
I can't believe I forgot to mention Audition. The brilliance of this movie was building up everything for those last freaky 15 minutes. Just amazing. "
Kiririririri

The thing with Audition is that it was a pretty normal movie for most of it. There wasn't any overhanging sense of read and I thought the mood changed a bit quickly.

As for my fave, it's gonna need some deliberation. Though the aforementioned Jacob's Ladder made me afraid of mirrors.
And I consider stuff like Dead Alive (Or Braindead as I know it) and Evil Dead 2 more horror comedies than straight up horror.
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dbz1995

Dragonball: Evolution. It was so bad it was scary.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Black_Rose
@jakob187 said:
"Definitely one of the most fucked-up reveals in cinematic history...even though it still doesn't beat the ending to The Mist for "OH FUCK" moment!!!  lol  Nonetheless, Takashi Miike knows how to make some good horror/splatter flicks.  Imprint was good as well, if not under-produced and a bit on the short and surreal side.

If you walked into the Awesome Factory, it would be lined with shelves upon shelves of the ending to The Mist.  That was a damn good horror flick also.
"
I avoided The Mist for a long time because I thought it was the same movie as The Fog (they gave it the same Spanish name) and only just recently I've discovered it isn't >_>
Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By Sooperspy
@gingertastic_10:  My god..... that movie messes with your mind so much. There were so many times I thought the movie was over and then...... BAM!! Great movie

But my favorite horror film would have to be Dawn of the Dead (1978)
Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Sooperspy

Also, if you want to see the most messed up ending to a horror film, actually any film, go watch Sleepaway Camp.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Tordah

Some of my favourites:

• The Thing
  • Shutter (the original obviously)
  • One Missed Call
  • The Descent
  • H6: Diary of a Serial Killer
  • 28 Days Later
  • Calvaire
ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryno9881
@gingertastic_10: Yea 1408 was great
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By buzz_clik

Without a doubt, The Thing is my favourite. Evil Dead II and Jacob's Ladder are nipping at its heels, though.

Oh, and my sleeper favourite is Zombie Flesh Eaters (or Zombie, Zombi 2). Not a typical classic like the others, but there's still so much good stuff in it. The main tune is still one of my favourite movie themes, horror or otherwise. So-so story, but great effects. Zombie versus shark? Yes please.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jakob187
@Redbullet685: If you want a truly EXCELLENT ending, watch 13 Seconds.  While the movie itself is pretty bad all around, the ending is one of the most epic mindfucks ever!!!  Definitely made me sit back and go "EXCELLENT TWIST".

@buzz_clik said:
"Oh, and my sleeper favourite is Zombie Flesh Eaters (or Zombie, Zombi 2). Not a typical classic like the others..."
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING?!  NOT A CLASSIC?!  That movie is the DEFINITION of classic!!!  Hell, that's the best out of the series!!!  Fulci is a fucking GENIUS at zombie flicks!!!
Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Halloween, easily.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#39  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Even though it was a made-for-TV mini-series, The Stand scared the holy hell out of me, and I'd already read the book something like nine or ten times by that point.  I still get creeped out by every Stu Redman hospital scene.

Actual movie-wise, Night of the Living Dead isn't scare to me now, but the first time I ever watched it, it scarred me for life.  I couldn't have been older than eight or nine, and I still get goosebumps at any movie that utilizes that central idea of being stuck somewhere isolated while monsters of some sort are trying to get in.  For example, the original Assault on Precinct 13 wasn't really a horror movie, but the way those gang members just kept coming in... it spooked me a bit.

Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Civraz

Has to be The Shining for me.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

The Exorcist was the first one i got scared from,and IT was the second one i got scared of.

Friday The 13th isn't that scary for me,i just watch cause i think its excisting.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jakob187

I won't lie:  Jennifer's Body is looking like it'll be a camp classic!!!

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Does Eraserhead count? That is the most terrifying film I've ever seen. But I guess I didn't really like it. So the crown does to one of the first two Ailen movies or The Thing.

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

hostel part 1, lets just forget part 2 even existed. It was scary intense and well acted. gret story too. 

Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Steve_Ramirez
@jakob187: 

by any chance did you see drag me to hell? haven't seen of sam rami's previous work like Evil Dead etc. How does it stack up to his classics?
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Linkyshinks

The Evil Dead

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mordukai
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Silent Hill 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mordukai
@Linkyshinks: You are saved from my Shake of the Head/Wag of the Finger.
Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By auspiciousqueue
@Mordukai: Cannibal Holocaust was not scary, just very disturbing with all the killing of the animals on screen. It relied to heavily on "is it a snuff film" for my tastes.