• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by tobygw (580 posts) -

I find religion and peoples' views on it interesting. Personally I am not very religious, or at least don't follow any specific religion. I consider myself agnostic, and I think that a large amount people growing up now do too. I only go off of what is known or proven. No one has proven that God exists nor doesn't exist so I really can't make a decision on which is true. I can want one to be more true than the other but that doesn't change anything. I find it ridiculous when people say stuff like " I don't really think that God is real, but I'm going to be a Christian just in case he is." I do however believe that if there is some sort of God or heaven, anyone who was a good human regardless of their beliefs should be rewarded.  I also HATE thinking about how the universe and the very first atom were created since it is just too mind blowing for me. 

Strangely though I believe in some religious based things such as Karma. I just feel that the majority of the time, you will get what you deserve.  

What are your beliefs? Do you share any of the same views as mine or are they completely different and if so why do you think that?

#2 Posted by Akeldama (4246 posts) -

This will not end well.

#3 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

This wouldn't go well for a site that is 75% athesist according to polls.

#4 Posted by beej (1674 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:  Polls that only took into account forum users who viewed whatever poll you're talking about. I know you love to cite that number but that's a very unscientific poll.
#5 Posted by chstupid (806 posts) -

I believe we should stop making threads about it.

#6 Posted by Cslaw (217 posts) -

sky cake is great, i think.

#7 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I don't think this site is ready to go into such a philosophical discussion about this friend.  You will only entice immature or uninformed responses by repeating similar questions made by other users in the past here.

Not that it isn't bad to ask about it mind you.  Good for you for wanting to understand how people think and believe.  However the track record for successful religious topics staying civilized aren't good enough yet for this.  See how this thread goes, but if it goes down another dark road, best request a lock by a mod ASAP.

#8 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

I believe in Triangles.

#9 Posted by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -

can we not have these fucking threads? like please?

#10 Posted by tobygw (580 posts) -
I also believe in magnets. How do they fuckin work? 
#11 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

#12 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Something something something religion. 

.......so anyway I was watching Paranormal Activity 2, and I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that the footage is supposed to be from CCTV. However I was under the impression that  is was illegal for an employer to capture sound as well as images on CCTV, and seeing as they have a housekeeper, doesn't that fall into this category?  

Something something something atheism.

#13 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

My religion doesn't let me talk about it or the government might find out  : / 

#14 Edited by Brians (1462 posts) -

I believe in cute Tigers, I am also a Platypus Denier. 

#15 Posted by tobygw (580 posts) -
@Briguile: Ah I see. So do you practice your religion by indulging in an afternoon full of kinectimals?
#16 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:
" I don't think this site is ready to go into such a philosophical discussion about this friend.  You will only entice immature or uninformed responses by repeating similar questions made by other users in the past here.  Not that it isn't bad to ask about it mind you.  Good for you for wanting to understand how people think and believe.  However the track record for successful religious topics staying civilized aren't good enough yet for this.  See how this thread goes, but if it goes down another dark road, best request a lock by a mod ASAP. "
I agree with this.
#17 Edited by Tebbit (4465 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:

" I believe in Triangles. "

Whatever man, your triangle is just a false square. 
IT'S MISSING THE POINT, AND SO ARE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU! 

@Briguile: The platypus happened man. Deal with it. It's got a goddamn beak.
#18 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

This is a compilation of clips from a creationist on youtube who is extremely popular and well respected amongst many religious people. That's all I have to say on the matter.

#19 Posted by smokinfishe (1 posts) -
@tobygw: 
"No one has proven that God exists nor doesn't exist so I really can't make a decision on which is true...
  I do however believe that if there is some sort of God or heaven..."

Just remember that its best NOT to believe in something until its proven or there is sufficient evidence. The default position is that he doesn't exist, no one needs to prove that. The people claiming he does exist have the burden of proof. Otherwise you would have to believe in everything everyone said that can't be disproved or you would be a hypocrite. (Worship ktulu or he will warp into our dimension and destroy the planet!)
#20 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

#21 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

I'm agnostic.  There may or may not be a sentient creator of the universe, I don't know.  Here's what I do know though: If there is a sentient creator, it's not omnipotent, omniscient, all good, etc and there is no afterlife.  The whole idea is completely ludicrous and I chock it up to wishful thinking...AGGRESSIVE wishful thinking. 

#22 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Tebbit said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:

IT'S MISSING THE POINT, AND SO ARE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU! "
Oh just go touch yourself in the dodecahedron you atheist.
#23 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

#24 Posted by big_jon (5725 posts) -
@tobygw:

This is a fucking game forum dude.
#25 Posted by tobygw (580 posts) -
@big_jon: Shit I thought this was in the off-topic forum, my bad...
#26 Posted by m2thek (42 posts) -

I think my religious views fall closest to Agnosticism. When people ask me what religion I am, I usually say that I'm not religious. My parents are Catholic, but they weren't practicing at the time of my birth. They didn't think it was fair to push Catholicism on me when they weren't doing it themselves really, so I was brought up withouth religion in my life. 

I went through a period of being really put off by religion, mostly by people who force their views on others, but since meeting my girlfriend, I've grown a lot in this respect. I've seen that religion is usually a wonderful thing that brings people together and unites them. Even though I'm not Catholic, I've attended many masses with my girlfriend and her family and felt very comfortable there. I also think it's great when people have really strong faith. I think everybody needs something like that, whether it's fueled by religion or something secular.

#27 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

Im a ex catholic agnostic I think.... but somehow I feel that we all are in deep shit and no matter how much we wish it , we are doomed. TBH agnostic is what defines me the best , but I havent seen any proof of God existing , yet the thought of what was before the big bang or whatever birth of universe theory is hot now ,  mesmerizes me  ; but I think mankinds future is to become cyborgs

#28 Posted by Famov (768 posts) -

I am an atheist who has no problem with either religious establishments or religious people. Pseudo-spiritual hippies get on my nerves, but that's understandable enough.

Also, congrats on having a successful religion thread as of the second page. It suggests that giantbomb is maturing as a community!
#29 Posted by blackbird415 (777 posts) -
@Cslaw said:
" sky cake is great, i think. "
TRUE THAT!!! it shows the answer to everything
#30 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said:
"   
"
I love that movie, and I love Bill Maher.
#31 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@beej said:

" @HitmanAgent47:  Polls that only took into account forum users who viewed whatever poll you're talking about. I know you love to cite that number but that's a very unscientific poll. "

You just defined a poll. Polls are not meant to be pure representations, but a ball park number. 

Also I am frankly insulted that this thread made it to page two while me posting a thread looking to see how many other gay/bi/lesbian members there are on the site was closed immediately for being "inappropriate". Go figure. 

Anyway, I feel that religion is sort of a silly thing. The idea that so many people really believe the same thing about an imaginary figure (seriously, if I told you I only experienced aliens out in a cave in a desert away from every one else and in my dreams, you'd call me a fucking lunatic. Unless you were a lunatic of the alien conspiracy kind. [clarification; I don't disbelieve in alien life, but some people are crazy], but that's a whole 'nother story) in the same way, it kind of makes me laugh. And sometimes, it makes me really sad. Like the way that a few homophobes decided gays are bad, and now because they decided it, in order to be a good +insert religion here+, you have to hate gays too. I think people would be better off if they were never exposed to religion until they were like 20, and before that, they had to come up with their own damn beliefs. I mean your not fooling anyone when you teach your kids to be Christian or Jewish or Muslim or Hindu, it's not their beliefs, it your teachings. Obviously people have a right to do as they wish in the raising of their children (within reason of course), but I would be interested in seeing a world were religion, or better yet, individual beliefs, stemmed from an individual gaining knowledge and wisdom through themselves, and not through the teaching of people who were taught by people who were told by people who were brain washed by people who were threatened by people who were beaten. It all seems a little silly, and frankly scary when you start listening to wack jobs like the idiots on the radio in America, talking about how the western angels of Christianity were defending their own land when they went to war with Islam, or how Islam is to blame for a few psycho's that distort the truth of their religion almost as much as Glenn Beck and all that.
#32 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:

" @sodiumCyclops said:

"   
"
I love that movie, and I love Bill Maher. "
This. Oh I'm Atheist, used to be catholic a while back. I don't have a problem with other people's beliefs, just don't force that stuff on me.
#33 Posted by Rockdalf (1278 posts) -
@JJWeatherman: Really, cause I think he's an asshat personally.
#34 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@Rockdalf said:
" @JJWeatherman: Really, cause I think he's an asshat personally. "
Really, cause obviously your right. I mean, he clearly couldn't be a guy with beliefs who attacks other beliefs just like Glenn Beck, those MSNBC Clowns, and that ABC lady with the plastic face. You thinking that clearly means he is one. It's not like you thinking that is inconsequential in the long run or anything. 

I mean, I fully support you in the dislike. I love the guy, but I see why people could be bothered by him. But at least he makes a point, instead of just saying "dude's a jerkwad." Hell, he even tries to use a bit of logic on occasion.
#35 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Tebbit said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:

Oh just go touch yourself in the dodecahedron you atheist. "
The dodecahedron is a rich man's Icosahedron, you zealot.
#36 Posted by wrecks (2254 posts) -

Religion = Cool Story Bro!

#37 Posted by Rockdalf (1278 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" @Rockdalf said:
Really, cause obviously your right. I mean, he clearly couldn't be a guy with beliefs who attacks other beliefs just like Glenn Beck, those MSNBC Clowns, and that ABC lady with the plastic face. You thinking that clearly means he is one. It's not like you thinking that is inconsequential in the long run or anything.  I mean, I fully support you in the dislike. I love the guy, but I see why people could be bothered by him. But at least he makes a point, instead of just saying "dude's a jerkwad." Hell, he even tries to use a bit of logic on occasion. "
Let me repost that again with the wording underlined the undermines your sarcasm. 

"Really, cause I think he's an asshat personally." 

I'll also add to the fact that had you reasoned out what I typed and not hastily replied three minutes after I posted, you might not have made one out of yourself as well.
#38 Posted by WhiskeyMcGhee (30 posts) -

ITT: While I think religion is kinda dumb, people are entitled to believe whatever they please.

#39 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
" This will not end well. "
#40 Edited by beej (1674 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos: I'm not trying to argue that what he is citing isn't a poll but rather that any numbers it gives us aren't particularly relevant. As such my complaint is less that a poll for that exists but rather that he's trying to use it to justify his statement that mostly atheists will reply to this because 75 percent of the site is atheist. My complaint is basically the application, if that makes any sense.

Edit: While reflecting on this further it occurs to me that polls usually attempt to meet some level of scrutiny in order to be seen as valid ballpark estimates. I'm not saying that it's not a 'poll' (it asks some people questions in order to provide some numbers regarding that question) but it seems like it would fail the scrutiny that we expect when using the term poll, so in effect they are different as well.
#41 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos: No need to attack the guy's comment, it's just his opinion. His method of not caring for being nice and arguing with people by being a dick is why I like him. It's easy to see why he can be hated.
#42 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Rockdalf said:
What could you possibly find so "asshatty" about him? He's a cool dude. He's funny and makes really good points. He's similar to Jon Stewart in a way.

You should check out Real Time with Bill Maher.
#43 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

This thread turned out better than expected.

#44 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Rockdalf said:
What could you possibly find so "asshatty" about him? He's a cool dude. He's funny and makes really good points. He's similar to Jon Stewart in a way. You should check out Real Time with Bill Maher. "
The guy is way more of a dick though, which is why I like him. He doesn't care for blatantly calling America stupid (his explanation Friday about the Americans essentially being dogs was pretty funny). I can see why people dislike him. 
#45 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

I think the world would be a better place without religion.

#46 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" @MordeaniisChaos: No need to attack the guy's comment, it's just his opinion. His method of not caring for being nice and arguing with people by being a dick is why I like him. It's easy to see why he can be hated. "
Re-read what I said. I totally support his opinion, however it doesn't change the fact that his statement gave no contribution to the conversation at hand.
#47 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

I think it's funny... in a sad kinda way.

#48 Posted by Rockdalf (1278 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Rockdalf said:
What could you possibly find so "asshatty" about him? He's a cool dude. He's funny and makes really good points. He's similar to Jon Stewart in a way. You should check out Real Time with Bill Maher. "
As a child. I hated it when people from my church would cite supposed "atheist" beliefs and attack them out of their ignorance.

I think Bill Maher does the same thing from the opposite spectrum. 

I don't attack anyone for their beliefs, and I expect to not have my beliefs made fun of as well. 

That and his placing of child molestation on a lower tier than childhood bullying astounded me.
#49 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

This topic has been done a million times and is already wildly off-topic, but since the OP does seem to be curious I will say that I'm an open-minded Christian student of philosophy/theology.

#50 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Tebbit said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @Tebbit said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:

Oh just go touch yourself in the dodecahedron you atheist. "
The dodecahedron is a rich man's Icosahedron, you zealot. "
We're all polygons, can't we all just get along? :(