• 60 results
rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By rawrnosaurous

H.P. Lovecraft, Isaac Asimov, George Orwell, Ayn Rand, Karen Traviss, Phillip K. Dick, J.R.R. Tolkien, Neal Stephenson, Neil Gaiman, Aldous Huxley, Robert A. Heinlein, H.G. Wells, Kevin Anderson, Timothy Zahn, Rick Riordan, David Gaider, and Drew Karpyshyn

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By hoossy

Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

I'm reading his 'Shadow of the Wind' right now, and am totally absorbed.

Also Michael Chabon.

'Yiddish Policemen's Union' is being made into a film by the Coen brothers!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#53  Edited By nintendoeats

@PeasantAbuse said:

@nintendoeats said:

*Pops head in* have you all read 1984 yet? No? Well then screwyouguys,I'mgoinghome *leaves*

That book is old!!!

You've just made me hate the human race a teensy bit more.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#54  Edited By TobbRobb

Douglas Adams, You all know why he deserves a mention.

Conn Iggulden, His historical novels are great, though not entirely accurate they really make for good stories of famous people. Not sure if I like The Ceasar or Genghis Khan books more.

David Eddings, I read a lot of his stuff when I was younger and loved them. Though rereading them now, he isn't that great. Still nostalgia for his older work gives him a spot.

I would say Robert Jordan though I actually only enjoyed the first 10? or so books, after that they become too DBZ.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I've recently become a Laurence Rees acolyte. I'll continue to be utterly obsequious for as long as his books continue to be a delight to read.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@nintendoeats said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

@nintendoeats said:

*Pops head in* have you all read 1984 yet? No? Well then screwyouguys,I'mgoinghome *leaves*

That book is old!!!

You've just made me hate the human race a teensy bit more.

Sorry, I was just joking.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#57  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Bret Easton Ellis

Thule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By Thule

@H2Oyea said:

@Thule: I've actually gone through some of "The Blade Itself". Also, do the Dresden files have any mystery or thriller type stuff going on? I don't think I've read any books in that genre other than a couple of Dan Brown books.

I wouldn't really lump in Jim Butcher's stuff in with the books that Dan Brown has written(mainly because I think Brown is terrible), however if that's something you like I'd definitely recommend checking out the Dresden Files.

The Dresden books are very thrillery and usually resolve around one or more mysteries, which range from mysterious murders or thefts that need solving or whatever terrible situation Harry Dresden needs to worm himself out of.

I suggest you read the first book in the series, Storm Front, so you can get a good idea about what the Dresden Files are about and what you can expect. It's a good book, not amazing, but it sets up the story, some core characters and the world pretty well. If you like it I recommend you move on with book 2 and 3(Fool Moon and Grave Peril), although these are considered the weakest in the series.(Though by no means bad) Book 3 is very important to read though, because some serious shit goes down in that book which defines the rest of the series storyline.

I personally couldn't put the series down once I started reading the fourth book in which Butcher really starts hitting his stride.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By beforet

@phrosnite said:

Dan Abnett... yeap that's it.

Kind of surprised seeing that mentioned. I've been reading Horus Rising and find it really interesting. Would you recommend any of his other series?

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By phrosnite

@Beforet said:

@phrosnite said:

Dan Abnett... yeap that's it.

Kind of surprised seeing that mentioned. I've been reading Horus Rising and find it really interesting. Would you recommend any of his other series?

Horus Heresy is written by many people. Dan had done Horus Rising, Legion and Prospero Burns. I highly recommend Eisenhorn Omnibus(756 pages). It's about an Inqusitor and it's pretty awesome. Ravenor Omnibus(900-something pages) is great too. It takes a character(another Inquisitor) from Eisenhorn and follows his adventures. Abnett's most popular books though are the Gaunt's Ghosts. It's a ongoing thing with like 12 books now and people say it's amazing. The books are in Omnibuses... The Founding - books 1-3, The Saint - books 4-7 and Lost - books 8-11. I have yet to read it though.