• 60 results
#1 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -

Hi folks,

I just bought a Kindle and need some books to read. I was always reading a lot but since I own a Kindle I'm reading more than ever before. I generally like sci-fi and fantasy books but I'm open to everything. Just bought a gaming related book: Extra Lives by Tom Bissell. What are some of your favorite books?

#2 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Harry Potter! Series of ubforunate events!

#3 Posted by Kidavenger (3509 posts) -

Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger

#4 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

The Spook's Apprentice, Hunger Games, Metro 2033, Games of Thrones, The Chronicles of Victor Pelham ( i'm plugging my own series, julesvernes/steampunk-esque in french, will be translated within this year in english ).

#5 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

The Name Of The Wind + The Wise Mans Fear.

#6 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Most Charles Bukowskinovels.

Warhammer fantasy novels. I know they're kinda trashy but I love them so much. They're just such fun stories (especially the slayer novels).

Oh, and the Darren Shan vampire series. They're just so well written, even if they are aimed at kids.

#7 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -
Animal Farm, by George Orwell, and Young Hitler by Claus Hant. I haven't read many cultural classics but it pains me to think Hant's work might not be given the recognition it deserves. When I read it I never expected something astonishing. I'm hopefully wiser than that, now.

@Klei said:
  (i'm plugging my own series, julesvernes/steampunk-esque in french, will be translated within this year in english ).
Please, continue to plug! I'm always impressed when I see an author, so you can have my respect!
#8 Posted by Whitelock (19 posts) -

an unoriginal choice, but The Hobbit has always been one of my favourites.

#9 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4631 posts) -

The Dark Tower, Mistborn, Slaughterhouse Five, Retribution Falls, Foundation, pretty much anything by Philip K Dick, The Name Of The Wind, I Am Legend.

#10 Posted by liquidmatt (230 posts) -

I love The Great Gatsby, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (All five parts of the trilogy), Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Pastoralia and Catch-22. I also keep meaning to read Asimov's novels, which sound like they would appeal to someone looking for sci-fi stuff.

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7050 posts) -

Slaughterhouse Five and really anything else by Kurt Vonnegut

#12 Posted by fraser (478 posts) -

The Count of Monte Cristo is the best and most convoluted thing I have ever read. It would certainly get a few hours out of your Kindle.

#13 Posted by Aegon (5401 posts) -
@Sweep said:

The Name Of The Wind + The Wise Mans Fear.

I managed to grab Kvothe as my username for the verge. Don't know if I'll actually visit that site often, but if I ever find the need to, I'm ready.
#14 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami
The Stand - Stephen King
Song of Ice and Fire series
Battle Royale - Houshun Takami (sp?)
Anything by Vonnegut and Chuck Palahniuk

#15 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Blood Meridian.

#16 Posted by Deathmachine117 (377 posts) -

Off the top of my head if you like some sci/fi Jurassic Park and World War Z are pretty damn good.

And as someone said above cant go wrong with the Hobbit.

#17 Posted by believer258 (11633 posts) -

Let me be generic: The Hobbit. The Lord of the Rings as well, but I think I like reading The Hobbit a bit better.

#18 Posted by RockAction (376 posts) -

the USA trilogy by John Dos Passos is far and away my favourite novel, i hate to categorise anything but that is my absolute favourite

another would be Burning Daylight by Jack London, recently read and would recommend;

Once & Future King by T H White / Sherlock Holmes stories by A C Doyle / Dudley Smith Trilogy by Ellroy / Possibility of an Island by Michel Houellebecq

and if you get tired of narrative stuff, i've been reading emil cioran recently, he's pretty funny

if you enjoy science fiction things and a healthy dose of existential BS try possibility of an island

#19 Posted by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline

"John dies at the end" by David Wong

"Neuromancer" by William Gibson

"Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson

"Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World" by Haruki Murakami

"Masters of Doom" by David Kushner

"Power Up" by Chris Kohler

...just to mention a few choices regarding Sci-Fi and books about video games.

#20 Posted by Wakka (80 posts) -

The Tao of Pooh + The Te of Piglet.

#21 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Crime and Punishment. It had a profound effect on me, being that my senses for guilt and remorse...aren't what they used to be.

#22 Posted by DazbotAthertron (875 posts) -

Battle Royale!

#23 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

To get in something nobody else will recommend, "Mama Day" by Gloria Naylor is excellent. It is also completely out of your usual interests, but it is superb.

#24 Posted by kimchibomb (23 posts) -

"Geek Love" by Katherine Dunn - Don't let the title fool you!

"Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea" by Barbara Demick

#25 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

Watership Down
Dragons Egg (it's hard core sci-fi, not fantasy, and the only dragon is the constellation Draco)
Ringworld
We

#26 Posted by Jerr (531 posts) -

Tropic of Cancer or Capricorn by Henry Miller

#27 Posted by JBG4 (386 posts) -

Blindsight by Peter Watts

#28 Edited by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Eisenhorn Series by Dan Abnett

Gaunt's Ghosts Series by Dan Abnett

Ciaphas Cain Series by Sandy Mitchell

Thunder and Steel by Dan Abnett

A Song of Ice and Fire Series by George R. R. Martin

Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett

Black Company Series by Glen Cook

#29 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

The Night Lords Trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden (Soul Hunter, Blood Reaver, Void Stalker)

Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and now Brandon Sanderson).

And the upcoming Fading Light: An Anthology of the Monstrous, featuring my story Der Teufel Sie Wissen (The Devil You Know) /shameless plug

#30 Edited by MegaLombax (384 posts) -

Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull. Starts off a bit slow, but gets better I think. The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riodan. I like them better compared to the Harry Potter series, if youre into that kind of genre anyways. Mortlock and The Demon Collector by Jon Mayhew. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Also books by Christie Golden. Her take on the Warcraft lore is quite interesting, and also her Starcraft: The Dark Templar saga books. Again, you'd have to be a fan of Warcraft and Starcraft to appreciate these books I think.

#31 Posted by TobbRobb (4579 posts) -

If you like both Sci Fi and fantasy, then you might like Dune. It's written similarily to the Lord of the Rings, so if you're a fan of one, you probably like the other.

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is amazing, and everyone should read it.

I have a soft spot for books by David Eddings, even though they might not be the highest quality writing out there. Though I haven't read his newest stuff... Seems it just gets worse and worse. Older is better with him I think.

#32 Posted by pyromagnestir (4243 posts) -

Hyperion by Dan Simmons and The Terror by Dan Simmons are both favorites of mine that haven't been mentioned yet I think, also both Player of Games and Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks. Lies of Locke Lamora was a lot of fun. I've liked every Neal Stephenson book I've read so far, and one of the books I finished most recently was Blindsight by Peter Watts and it was cool.

#33 Posted by jadewiz (62 posts) -

I'm absolutely baffled nobody has said Farenheit 451 or A Clockwork Orange. I hate reading and enjoyed those books. I feel like that says something about them.

#34 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: I heard a lot of good things about Dan Simmons and bought the book Ilium. However, It never really clicked with me. His books seem to be too philosophical to me. But I might check your recommendations out.

#35 Posted by timlump (152 posts) -

Here are my recommendations -

• The Forever War
  • The Affirmation
  • Gateway
  • Mockingbird
  • Flowers for Algernon

These can all by found in the SF Masterworks collection (which I recommend you read),

it's just a collection of some of the best SF books ever written.

#36 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Quantum Thief, a very cool scifi story from a new Finnish writer.

#37 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

The Dune series by Frank Herbert. You can thank me later.

#38 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

Read Franz Kafka.

#39 Posted by Captain_Insano (1527 posts) -

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

1984 - George Orwell

Keep the Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell

The Belgariad series - David Eddings

#40 Posted by arjybarjy (92 posts) -

Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre

Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder

#41 Posted by Zelnox (383 posts) -

I’m near the end of The Information by James Gleick. It will be one of the most satisfying book I will have read ever, weaving multiple disciplines together, many parts kind of blowing my mind. The writing is very good, with sentences flowing. Some of the chapters may be focus a bit more on science or math, and some concepts may be bit harder to grasp, but the writing is never the problem.

Another non-fiction book I love is The World WIthout Us by Alan Weisman. Suppose there were no humans on Earth, what would happen? The author takes us on a journey across disciplines again, and the best part, show us real-world examples of nature adapting.

#42 Posted by norenewalfee (108 posts) -

Fatherland by Robert Harris

#43 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Currently, I'm reading The Scar and Wired for War, both of which are pretty long, but well outside my comfort zone.

As for my all-time favourite, that'd be The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. Sadly, it's not available on the Kindle Store.

#44 Posted by Dots (114 posts) -

- The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie

- 1984 by George Orwell

#45 Posted by pyromagnestir (4243 posts) -

@chan05: I think both Hyperion and especially The Terror are more straightforward than Ilium, but Hyperion's followup Fall of Hyperion is a more philosophical book, so a word of warning there as Hyperion is really not a self contained story, it's very much the first part of a longer story. But I think they are all better than Ilium, and very much worth giving a shot.

#46 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1352 posts) -

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre.

#47 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4631 posts) -

@HarlechQuinn said:

"John dies at the end" by David Wong

I keep seeing this recommended but I don't know why. Anyone care to elaborate on this book with spoilers? I'd go look it up on wiki but I don't want spoilers!

#48 Posted by dopplerganger (80 posts) -

gravity's rainbow

dune

#49 Posted by hermes (1370 posts) -

The Foundation. The original trilogy...

#50 Posted by Mijati (885 posts) -

Just to confirm that I'm not entirely crazy. I can't be the only one who read the title as favourite "boobs" right? I hope not...