jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Fuck rap.  It's all about hip-hop.

Fugees.  That's the only name that matters.

*EDIT*  I just realized many of you are probably too young to even remember who the Fugees were.  So, watch this educational video about the most flowin' M.C.s on the planet:

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By fr0br0
jakob187 said:
"Fuck rap.  It's all about hip-hop.
Fugees.  That's the only name that matters.

*EDIT*  I just realized many of you are probably too young to even remember who the Fugees were.  So, watch this educational video about the most flowin' M.C.s on the planet:
"
Rap IS hip-hop. Or more that hip hop is the culture in which rap resides in.

And I've got a lot of favorite artists and groups. But my all time favorite rapper is Nas and my favorite group is A Tribe Called Quest.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187
Fr0Br0 said:
"Rap IS hip-hop. Or more that hip hop is the culture in which rap resides in.

And I've got a lot of favorite artists and groups. But my all time favorite rapper is Nas and my favorite group is A Tribe Called Quest."
I'm sorry, but I greatly disagree.  Rap is nothing but the same beats over and over while someone wants to rhyme about how much money they have in the bank and how many people they've killed.  You can file 2Pac, Biggie, Dre, and Lil' Wayne under rap.

Hip-hop, on the other hand, would be more along the lines of Outkast, Tribe, Mobb Deep, and one of my personal favorites:  De La Soul.

Granted, I do understand what you mean, as rapping is the actual act of vocalizing rhymes and hip-hop is the culture of it all...but to me, personally, I always see two cultures.  You gotta thank the old West/East rivalries for that one.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fr0br0
jakob187 said:
"Fr0Br0 said:

And I've got a lot of favorite artists and groups. But my all time favorite rapper is Nas and my favorite group is A Tribe Called Quest."
I'm sorry, but I greatly disagree.  Rap is nothing but the same beats over and over while someone wants to rhyme about how much money they have in the bank and how many people they've killed.  You can file 2Pac, Biggie, Dre, and Lil' Wayne under rap.

Hip-hop, on the other hand, would be more along the lines of Outkast, Tribe, Mobb Deep, and one of my personal favorites:  De La Soul.

Granted, I do understand what you mean, as rapping is the actual act of vocalizing rhymes and hip-hop is the culture of it all...but to me, personally, I always see two cultures.  You gotta thank the old West/East rivalries for that one.
"
Well that actual word or genre you're thinking of is alternative rap. But I get what you're saying.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187
Fr0Br0 said:
"jakob187 said:
"Fr0Br0 said:

"
Well that actual word or genre you're thinking of is alternative rap. But I get what you're saying."
Bingo.  I just hate it when people start throwing out Mos Def and Talib Kweli without throwing in names like Dilated Peoples.
HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

I hear Atmosphere is good I like Lupe Fiasco, T.I.(only some not mainstream songs) ,Styles of Beyond personally

Derios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Derios

mf doom.

whackmypinata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By whackmypinata

Atmosphere is good, but Jurassic 5 will take my crown.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By bjorno

Three Six mafia, or maybe xzibit

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kmdrkul

Louis Logic, AZ, and The Streets

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By JonathanMoore

Favorite Artists: Andy Mckee, Kyle Justin, Anna Slovich, Angels and Airwaves, Fall Out Boy... At the risk of sounding generic...I don't care whatcha think...

Rapper: ...I don't know, I am a fan of Rap, I just couldn't name a favorite...

-- God Bless.

brent_kukost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By brent_kukost

No Nas, Rakim or KRS in this thread? y'all some fools, that's the trifecta of perfection right there... But for really real; MF DOOM or Q-Tip. Madvillainy and Low End Theory are the perfect duo to my hip hop listening.
I would also like to mention, while not rappers they are all up in the hip hop, DJ Q-bert and Madlib.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Absurd

I liked Benefit for awhile, but I still love the song Infinite by Eminem. I like Jedi Mind Tricks as well.
Infinite:

Adblock

Benefit:

Adblock
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fr0br0
brent_kukost said:
"No Nas, Rakim or KRS in this thread? y'all some fools, that's the trifecta of perfection right there... But for really real; MF DOOM or Q-Tip. Madvillainy and Low End Theory are the perfect duo to my hip hop listening.
I would also like to mention, while not rappers they are all up in the hip hop, DJ Q-bert and Madlib."
Check my post.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187

I love Nas and KRS, but I'm just a much bigger fan of stuff from Fugees and De La Soul than almost anything else.  Wyclef, Lauryn, and Pras are the trifecta of perfection, LOL.

brent_kukost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brent_kukost

did catch your edit flobro. You apparently ain't no fool ;)

And I really didn't like eminem's flow on Infinite, sounds like a tired Nas on helium. Marshall Mathers LP and onwards is pretty killer flow-wise though, even if the lyrical content more often than not is pretty dated at this point.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
brent_kukost said:
"did catch your edit flobro. You apparently ain't no fool ;)

And I really didn't like eminem's flow on Infinite, sounds like a tired Nas on helium. Marshall Mathers LP and onwards is pretty killer flow-wise though, even if the lyrical content more often than not is pretty dated at this point."
Eminem does have a good flow style to him, feels very natural most of the time...but I really only liked the first two albums.  Eminem Show and Encore felt very bland.  Marshall Mathers is still a classic LP though.
brent_kukost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brent_kukost
jakob187 said:
 Eminem does have a good flow style to him, feels very natural most of the time...but I really only liked the first two albums.  Eminem Show and Encore felt very bland.  Marshall Mathers is still a classic LP though."
I don't know. Going back now and listening to those, I feel the lyrics are mostly about insipid shit like homophobia and such. Much prefer his more introverted songs that just aren't about taking the piss out of somebody. So there are still some greats on those albums, but as a whole I wouldn't call them classics.  Ah, lose yourself just hit the tv. :)
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fr0br0
brent_kukost said:
"jakob187 said:
 Eminem does have a good flow style to him, feels very natural most of the time...but I really only liked the first two albums.  Eminem Show and Encore felt very bland.  Marshall Mathers is still a classic LP though."
I don't know. Going back now and listening to those, I feel the lyrics are mostly about insipid shit like homophobia and such. Much prefer his more introverted songs that just aren't about taking the piss out of somebody. So there are still some greats on those albums, but as a whole I wouldn't call them classics.  Ah, lose yourself just hit the tv. :)"
Those immature lyrics are the reason I loved his first two albums. It was something new and actually funny. Plus he had a great flow to add to it. I lost interest after he ditched Slim Shady. He still had some good songs after, but nothing that could beat MMLP.
Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of a rapper, I really like Luke Boyd (classified), he's from Halifax, Canada. Part of it might be just be that he's canadian, but I really like his outright style of rap.
As for a group, well all I need to say is "Dolla' Dolla' bill y'all"

brent_kukost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brent_kukost
Fr0Br0 said:
Those immature lyrics are the reason I loved his first two albums. It was something new and actually funny. Plus he had a great flow to add to it. I lost interest after he ditched Slim Shady. He still had some good songs after, but nothing that could beat MMLP."
Well, I agree that I thought it was funny and new at the time, some of the jokes are still great in my opinion (Kill You is a classic, even if it's filled with all kinds of  faux-hate). But it does get tiring listening to it today, I think. Great then, good now. not the timeless humor of something like 36 chambers.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Absurd

Eminem also has a song from the Infinite Album in which he raps fairly fast, Its kind of hard to hear him:

Adblock
kajankua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kajankua

the pharcyde, jedi mind tricks

Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deltron 3030, de la soul, heiroglyphics, del tha funkee homosapian.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Karmum

I'm not a big fan of rap or hip-hop, but I guess I would have to say Kanye West.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By samcotts

I'm a big fan of Eminem, but otherwise I dislike rap.

krazychris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By krazychris

Would Run-DMC count because thats really all the rap/hip-hop I really listen to

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DualReaver
Black_Rose avert your eyes

Not really into this kind of music, but I love DJ Danger Mouse's Grey Album where he mixes the Beatle's White album with Jay-Z's Black album.