#1 Posted by Demoskinos (14881 posts) -

So tonight I was browsing spotify for music. I recently got hooked on listening to Girls Generation and while browsing their songs on Spotify found that they did a track with Snoop Dogg. I had to stop and stare for awhile. Snoop dog... on a J-Pop song? Really? Really?? Really??? And yet it was... and is. So what are your favorite mash ups of artists you never thought you would see working together? Below is the song in question and one of my other favorites a Remix of Lady Gaga's Lovegame featuring Marilyn Manson.

#2 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Marylin Manson creeps me out a bit...

#3 Posted by BonOrbitz (2204 posts) -

David Bowie and Trent Reznor

Frank Sinatra and Bono

#4 Edited by BoG (5191 posts) -

Jack White and ICP covering Mozart, duh.

#5 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

Well, people can mash up anything but as far as legit remixes go, I'd have to say The Roots & Joanna Newsom's "Right On":

#6 Posted by GunstarRed (5213 posts) -

David Bowie and Trent Reznor isn't very unlikely but David Bowie and Bing Crosby sitting around a piano singing christmas songs is pretty fucking weird.

#7 Posted by PeZ (112 posts) -
#8 Edited by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
@PeZ said:

That whole Spawn the Movie soundtrack was full of great stuff (terrible, terrible movie though) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_(film)#Soundtrack

Oh man, that takes me back. I loved that soundtrack (and movie) when I was 10.

Edit: Some of those tracks definitely still hold up well.

Edit again: One of the best collaboration albums ever, BLAKROC!

#9 Posted by PeZ (112 posts) -

Yeah they do. Most have a definite 90's vibe to them, but in a good way.

#10 Posted by uniform (1835 posts) -

#11 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Gorillaz, Andre 3000, James Murphy......oh wait.

#12 Posted by KaneRobot (1642 posts) -
#13 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

Marylin Manson creeps me out a bit...

A bit?

#14 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Fiddy and Queen FTW

#15 Posted by 71Ranchero (2776 posts) -

Daytona USA and Charles Barkley

#16 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6301 posts) -

@PeZ: I love that Filter track. @Demoskinos: Welp, I'd better go download that Manson remix....

#17 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Sepultra and Pavarotti

#18 Edited by PenguinDust (12533 posts) -

Some odd pairings I've enjoyed over the years:

1. Bing Crosby and David Bowie - "Little Drummer Boy" (1977)
  2. Run DMC and Aerosmtih - "Walk This Way" (1986)
  3. Public Enemy and Anthrax - "Bring the Noise" (1991)
  4. Duane Eddy and Art of Noise – “Peter Gunn” (1986)
  5. Tammy Wynette and KLF – “Justified and Ancient” (1991)
  6. Sonic Youth and Chuck D - "Kool Thing" (1990)
  7. Bone Thug-N-Harmony ft. Phil Collins - "Home" ["Take Me Home"] (2003)

And while maybe not so unlikely since Neil Young is considered an icon of alternative music, but when I first saw Young and Pearl Jam together, it was unexpected and amazing.

#19 Posted by forkboy (1154 posts) -

I was always kind of disappointed with that Sonic Youth/Chuck D collab. I mean Kool Thing is a great song, but all Chuck does basically is go "awww yeah". Which is a bit of a waste of his talents

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (14881 posts) -

@BoG: I think that may win the thread.

#21 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -
@Demoskinos said:

@BoG: I think that may win the thread.

Yeah, except the only problem is that the guitarist on that track isn't Jack White and the song itself isn't Mozart. So really, it's just an ICP song.
#22 Edited by Noct (306 posts) -

I agree that Trent and Bowie is hardly an unlikely match, but even if you were gonna list them here, I'd go with "I'm deranged". Much better song then I'm afraid of (imho):

Speaking of Trent, Immigrant song was an awesome surprise when it hit. Karen O (yeahx3) , Atticus Ross (12 Rounds, How to Destroy Angels), and Trent Reznor:

One of my top 5 songs of all time. Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane) and Linda Perry (4 Non-blondes):

This was mad surprising to me when I heard it, and it's awesome. Within Temptation and Keith Caputo (Life of Agony):

This might not be a huge stretch, but I remember being pretty surprised at the time. Sarah Mclachlan & Delerium:

Again, they're good friends, so this isn't really "unlikely", but when he walked out during this concert, I was surely surprised. Tori Amos and Maynard Keenan (Tool, APC, Puscifer):

Finally, while talking about collaborations with Christ, er, excuse me, Maynard.... You have to mention that almost every band he's in is really a super-group or collaboration, with the pinnacle being Tapeworm. (Maynard, Trent, Phil (Pantera), Atticus Ross, Marilyn Manson, Charlie Clouser, Danny Lohner, some other dudes...)

Tapeworm was easily the most anticipated album of my entire life, and it was prolly doomed from the start, but regardless, the fruit it bore is fan-fucking-tastic.

As far as I know, these two songs are the only things that ever materialized from the entire Tapeworm ordeal, and they are both on my top 10 songs ever list. Kills me that we'll never hear the rest of that work... So, this is as meta as you can get. It's dudes in a super-group covering another super-group that some of them were in...

Puscifer (Tapeworm song):

A Perfect Circle (Tapeworm song) :

#23 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Muse's Matthew Bellamy and Florence Welch from Florence and the Machine... I'd love to hear their voices together.

#24 Posted by JeanLuc (3586 posts) -

@uniform said:

This is both awesome and terrible.

#25 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -

reznor el-p