Your Film of the Year - 2008

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Lashe

I was gonna poll this but as  film tastes are very unique things so I'll just leave it poll-less.

As much as I loved The Dark Knight (d. Nolan, 2008), and it does rank pretty high in my top 10 of '08, I really think my 2008 FotY has to be the oft-overlooked In Bruges (d. McDonagh, 2008) - absolutely everything about this film stood out to me, and in my opinion, totally excelled: amazing characters, well-written script that sublimely blanced black comedy with some real hard-hitting moments, perfect pacing, great direction and use of the absolutely gorgeous Bruges setting, and a fantastic cast with absolutely no cracks - every actor played their role with distinction.

I simply cannot recommend the film enough. It was unfortunately burdened by the fact that it was released very early on in 2008, I think within a couple of weeks after the 2007-8 Oscars, and is overlooked as a result.

Interested to hear other people's take on FotY 2008 =]

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Captain_Fookup

RocknRolla, I'm a sucker for a Guy Ritchie film.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Wrestler

It was a pretty simple story, but the performance of Mickey Rourke was just so damn powerful and heart wrenching.
Also the cinematography was very real and plain. Gave it an almost documentary feel.
Plus the constant allusions to Randy walking through the curtains to meet a roaring crowd being juxtaposed to him going to a rather empty autograph signing, his trailer park home or his job was pretty clever. And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Marisa Tomei being a milf.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lashe

ahhh you've just reminded me how much I want to see that film now haha

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By samcotts

Wall-E. Loved that film.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By kush

Moved to OT ....and my favorite film of 2008 was In Bruges. A movie few people actually saw in theaters (or on DVD) and even less remember. I don't even think Colin Farrell's Golden Globe win did anything to make people watch the film.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Oriental_Jams
Kush said:
"Moved to OT ....and my favorite film of 2008 was In Bruges. A movie few people actually saw in theaters (or on DVD) and even less remember. I don't even think Colin Farrell's Golden Globe win did anything to make people watch the film.
"
This. Most interesting film of the year.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kush

In Bruges is truly an underappreciated film. I loved the fact that the trailers hid so much of what the actual film was about and it was beautifully shot. I guess doom is just inevitable when you don't get a big release/a lot of press and come out in late January/early February. I saw the film 4 times in the theater and loved it every single time. I don't think Farrell deserved and Oscar for his performance, but I do believe he should have been nominated at least...it deserved at least a nomination for best original screenplay as well.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lashe
Kush said:
"Moved to OT ....and my favorite film of 2008 was In Bruges. A movie few people actually saw in theaters (or on DVD) and even less remember. I don't even think Colin Farrell's Golden Globe win did anything to make people watch the film.
"
Cheers for moving. Had an "Awww shit" moment when I realised that it was in General
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Red

Wall-E. Just such a beautiful, artistic, and fun film.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Pie

The dark knight

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By RHCPfan24

1. The Dark Knight
2. Wall-E
3. Slumdog Millionaire

That is pretty much my list. Benjamin Button and Milk were also great, as was The Wrestler, Frost/Nixon, and Gran Torino.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Willy105

Wall0E is pretty much the best film I have seen this year, althougBatman and the other movies were great too. I also loved Indy 4.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By penguindust

I enjoyed the Dark Knight as much as the next person, but for me, the most enjoyable and best surprise was The Bank Job.  This was a dramatic take on a real life bank robbery in 1971 (see below).  It starred Jason Statham, and is a real departure from the action films he is known for.  I found it to be a tense, well acted thriller with many good twists, and a satisfying conclusion.  I really can't recommend it enough, especially since I assume most of the people on GB have already seen the mainstream blockbusters like Dark Knight and Wall-E.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200465
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/3671166/Revisiting-the-riddle-of-Baker-Street.html

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kush
Red said:
"Wall-E. Just such a beautiful, artistic, and fun film."
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I found Wall-E to fall apart halfway through the film. Once the human aspect was added to the movie it just didn't feel the same anymore. The first half was a beautiful, wonderful film, but the second half was just average with a few good moments here and there.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Black_Rose

For me it was Doubt, filled with amazing performances and a great story.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheFreeMan

Gonna have to go with Wall-E. That movie was just too good.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By AuthenticM
In Bruges is one of the best films I have ever seen. One of the funniest, also.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By wefwefasdf

The Dark Knight or Wall-E would be mine. I need to see some others though.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kohe321
samcotts said:
"Wall-E. Loved that film."
Same!
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By teh_destroyer

That goes to Defiance,I am a sucker for Edward Zwick movies.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By BiggerBomb

I loved The Dark Knight because of Heath Ledger's performance; as a movie on its own merit, TDK is just a good movie. My favorite film of '08 might have been Iron Man. I didn't get around to seeing any of the highly acclaimed movies, yet I found Iron Man to be a fun movie. It had some witty humor, though never detracting from the drama, and great special effects. I really enjoyed it.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By RedSox8933

Frost/Nixon was awesome.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By suneku

Mine's The Dark Knight, I bet no one saw that coming.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Milkman

Benjamin Button.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Binman88
Kush said:
"In Bruges is truly an underappreciated film. I loved the fact that the trailers hid so much of what the actual film was about and it was beautifully shot. I guess doom is just inevitable when you don't get a big release/a lot of press and come out in late January/early February. I saw the film 4 times in the theater and loved it every single time. I don't think Farrell deserved and Oscar for his performance, but I do believe he should have been nominated at least...it deserved at least a nomination for best original screenplay as well.
"
I didn't see it in the cinema but bought the DVD last year and loved it. Definitely one of my favourites films of 08.
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lashe
JazzyJeff said:
"Kush said:
"Red said:
"Wall-E. Just such a beautiful, artistic, and fun film."
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I found Wall-E to fall apart halfway through the film. Once the human aspect was added to the movie it just didn't feel the same anymore. The first half was a beautiful, wonderful film, but the second half was just average with a few good moments here and there."
I can't agree that it falls apart. The first half certainly looks prettier with the lighting and camera effects, but at some point they had to introduce the "people element". Just being a throw back to old Sci-Fi films might be fine for us, and I do feel Wall-E and Eve were expressive enough witout dialogue, but Pixar obviously had bigger ideas in mind than just two robots that fall in love. If you think about it, most of the great love stories have a secondary struggle. It makes for a much more relieving (or tragic) ending."
Totally agree there.

Plus the whole laziness/obesity/complaisance was such a strong and major theme for Pixar that it really couldn't have been conveyed simply through Wall-E and Eve.

I mean.. without that whole element.. we wouldn't have the Pizza Plant!
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By ZombiePie
No Caption Provided
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HandsomeDead

In Bruges, definitely.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Mushir

Wall-E. Not Pixar's finest, but definitely a great film.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#31  Edited By chronicsmoke

The Wrestler,among the best of rourkes films IMO

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By RandomHero666

Haven't seen this In Bruges thing, so id have to go with The Dark Knight, then The Love Guru.. Mike Myers FTW

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kush
JazzyJeff said:
"I can't agree that it falls apart. The first half certainly looks prettier with the lighting and camera effects, but at some point they had to introduce the "people element". Just being a throw back to old Sci-Fi films might be fine for us, and I do feel Wall-E and Eve were expressive enough witout dialogue, but Pixar obviously had bigger ideas in mind than just two robots that fall in love. If you think about it, most of the great love stories have a secondary struggle. It makes for a much more relieving (or tragic) ending."
I understand that they had a grander idea for the movie, but I just personally wish they kept it A) simpler, or B) went about expressing that idea in a better way. My dislike for the second part of the film may also be due to the fact that I thought the art design for the humans was awful. I thought they were extremely ugly to look at and it was hard to get past the visuals. I must say that I do love that little cleaner robot though, which only appears in the second half.

Trying to think back to what other animated films came out last year just reminded me that I missed the Kung Fu Panda special on NBC this past week...I know this is a bit off topic, but did anyone see it? ...If yes, was it any good?
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I didn't see a lot of movies in '08, but I fucking loved Speed Racer.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wolverine

Frost/Nixon