Your opinion on the Mosque being built in NYC?

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jesus

Not sure if there is another thread, but anyways what do you guys think about the issue of building the Mosque near the 9/11 site. Last time I checked there was freedom of religion in the U.S and not all Muslims have bombs strapped to their chests. I just think that the issue is being overblown in the media because elections are coming up. Religion is getting a tad bit out of hand.....heh. What do you guys think? 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I completely understand why MOST people feel a bit weird about the symbolism behind the gesture, but I think it would be a tremendous show of faith towards the Muslim people from the US government. 

The people who think it would be used as a terrorist hub though are fucking damaged though.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By jorbear

I see why people are freaking out about it, but I don't agree with them. I agree with the points you came up with entirely.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

It's like 3 blocks away from the site, I loved the misleading reports about it being "on ground zero" haha.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Feanor

Freedom of religion. END OF STORY

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Afroman269
@LordXavierBritish said:
" I completely understand why MOST people feel a bit weird about the symbolism behind the gesture, but I think it would be a tremendous show of faith towards the Muslim people from the US government.  The people who think it would be used as a terrorist hub though are fucking damaged though. "
This. I don't see how people can shit on Islam constantly also. There was a drunk guy arrested for going into a Mosque and pissing on the rugs yelling obscenities and a muslim taxi driver was stabbed. Now the U.S. simply looks like a bunch of ignorant islamicphobic ignorant christian extremists.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Feanor said:
" Freedom of religion. END OF STORY "
This. Seriously, media is way over exaggerating this. 
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By DanielJW

I wouldn't care if they did build a mosque literally on ground zero. The taliban performed the attacks, not the average person of Muslim faith. A mosque is not a Taliban headquarters, it's a place of worship. Build it wherever the hell you want. 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By BraveToaster

I plan to build a pig slaughterhouse next to that mosque.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By FunExplosions
@Axxol said:
" I plan to build a pig slaughterhouse next to that mosque. "
What the fuck? 

Please, I dare you to try to justify that comment.
Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ravenousrattler

my opinion is this is an unwinnable issue

Ghil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ghil

Freedom of religion + not really near the site = overblown news.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster
@FunExplosions said:
" @Axxol said:
" I plan to build a pig slaughterhouse next to that mosque. "
What the fuck?  Please, I dare you to try to justify that comment. "
Muslims don't eat pigs and I've been drinking tonight.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder

Not only should they not build a mosque 2 blocks away from where a tangentially related event happened almost a decade ago, but they should keep mosques out of America for at least the next 25 years :o

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho

Retards being retards. Picture reference. 

Passion lacking reason is dangerous. That said, why push it? All it does it make it clear we haven't really changed much in hundreds of years. Some people like living under an illusion of progress and why shatter that by touching an issue like this? :-(

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yinstarrunner

I don't care.  I find it funny that they planned to build it there though.  As if they weren't aware it would stir up controversy.

It couldn't be anywhere else?  All of this stupidity could have been avoided, although I'm sure the people who run this mosque are absolutely thrilled at all the publicity coming out of the situation.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho
@yinstarrunner said:
" I don't care.  I find it funny that they planned to build it there though.  As if they weren't aware it would stir up controversy.  It couldn't be anywhere else?  All of this stupidity could have been avoided, although I'm sure the people who run this mosque are absolutely thrilled at all the publicity coming out of the situation. "
Didn't the black kid know it would stir shit up drinking from that fountain? He just wanted attention I guess.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By MarkWahlberg

It's New York. 'Awkward proximity' is their fucking motto.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By selbie

I'm sure certain "people" wouldn't complain if they put up a Catholic church there instead. If the people who own the property want to build a mosque then let them do it. It's not like Ground Zero has some fucking Muslim-free-zone around it. I've seen the building on TV, It's so inconspicuous I wouldn't even notice it if you drove a truck into it!

The racists are preaching about respect for the deceased, yet there were plenty of Muslims who died there as well.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By scarace360

Dont care. Let them do what they want.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By yinstarrunner
@ryanwho:   You got me.  I hate blacks and mexicans and especially muslims.  Good call.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By one_2nd

I'm against it. I don't see why they can't just build it somewhere else. They're obviously trying to prove a point because they plan to open it on the ten year anniversary of 9/11. To all of the people for it: if you lived in NY you'd understand. 

Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Korone

Islam has nothing at all to do with what happened on September 11th. 

Anyone who opposes this is either ignorant, or using 9/11 to justify their bigotry.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Jeust
@Feanor said:

" Freedom of religion. END OF STORY. "

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Afroman269
@ryanwho: Very true on how little progress we have made. Now stuff has shown up from Mississippi where in a school they were restricting what position a black middle school student can run for in student council. EX: 7th grade black can only run for the highest position of vice president, 6th grade is only Treasury.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude

Go for it, this is America, land of the free.

d_breeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By d_breeze

I personally think it's just intolerance of religion and politics. People are trying to play off of others'  fears and insecurities.

CRAzYKiLL3R93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CRAzYKiLL3R93

America has freedom of religion, I dont see what all the fuss is about

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho
@Afroman269 said:
" @ryanwho: Very true on how little progress we have made. Now stuff has shown up from Mississippi where in a school they were restricting what position a black middle school student can run for in student council. EX: 7th grade black can only run for the highest position of vice president, 6th grade is only Treasury. "
I saw the memo on that a couple days ago. The one thing I love about Obama being president (certainly not directly related, he's a poor president) is people are much more openly racist. In that way, we are progressing in that its like the 50s again where people weren't whispering and walking a little faster, they're just saying it.
Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jesus
@one_2nd said:
" I'm against it. I don't see why they can't just build it somewhere else. They're obviously trying to prove a point because they plan to open it on the ten year anniversary of 9/11. To all of the people for it: if you lived in NY you'd understand.  "
What about the other mosques around New York City? Should there be an imaginary radius where it is illegal for anything Islam to touch or be near the 9/11 site? The only reason the Mosque has become so popular in the media is because politicians are jumping into the spotlight to grab headlines and attention. The plan for this thing to be built was made up a long time ago and no one seemed to care at the time.
Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Korone

No one ran a damn plane into a building because they're Muslim. 

The fact that this is even an issue upsets me a great deal.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho
@yinstarrunner said:
" @ryanwho:   You got me.  I hate blacks and mexicans and especially muslims.  Good call. "
I didn't say that. I just said your idea that they knew America was full of hostile racists means they "took advantage" of that for media attention. Its fucking obtuse and offensively juvenile way to look at an issue. You're not racist. You're just stupid.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fjordson
@Feanor said:
" Freedom of religion. END OF STORY "
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ryanwho
@Korone said:

" No one ran a damn plane into a building because they're Muslim.   The fact that this is even an issue upsets me a great deal. "

Its tangentially related. Its the same reason you can't build a church or a Marine recruitment station in Oklahoma City after McVey bombed it. You know, sensitivity. And if anyone wanted to, they would be "doing it for attention" and people would go "well I'm not a bigot or ignorant but what's the point of building it there. I believe in freedom of choice and would like for you to choose to build elsewhere."
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Ygg said:
" It's like 3 blocks away from the site, I loved the misleading reports about it being "on ground zero" haha. "
3 blocks is still pretty damn close. The only thing I could say about it, is I don't understand what the point is...
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Jeust
@Claude said:

" Go for it, this is America, land of the free. "

^^
   ^^
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By yinstarrunner
@ryanwho:   Bad wording on my part.  I didn't necessarily mean that they put it there with the INTENTION of making national headlines, but you've gotta be crazy if you think they aren't very happy with their spot in the 24 hour news cycle.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By one_2nd
@Jesus: Listen, I'm fine with it. I never said it should be illegal to build them. I just think it's really obvious they're doing it to send a message, and if that's the case it shouldn't be built. It's just disrespectful to people affected by 9/11. 
Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Korone
@ryanwho said:
" @Korone said:
" No one ran a damn plane into a building because they're Muslim.   The fact that this is even an issue upsets me a great deal. "
Its tangentially related. Its the same reason you can't build a church or a Marine recruitment station in Oklahoma City after McVey bombed it. You know, sensitivity. "
I understand that Islam is tangentially related to the event, but this still shouldn't be an issue. The fact that it is shows how ignorant some American  people are of major events that happened in their own country in the last ten years. That or they're just bigots. 
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By audiosnag

Shouldn't be an issue.
Stupid people are stupid.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Now they are just pissing on us, without the courtesy of calling it rain.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho
@Korone said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @Korone said:
Its tangentially related. Its the same reason you can't build a church or a Marine recruitment station in Oklahoma City after McVey bombed it. You know, sensitivity. "
I understand that Islam is tangentially related to the event, but this still shouldn't be an issue. The fact that it is shows how ignorant some American  people are of major events that happened in their own country in the last ten years. That or they're just bigots.  "
I was being satirical. Because nobody said anything remotely like "you can't build a new church or marine recruitment station near the ruins in Oklahoma City". It would have been absolutely absurd to even consider it. Its the difference between what people consider "American" and not. "Real America" is as homogeneous as China, the 'melting pot', as it were, is composed of elements we, "real America" could take or leave depending on the weather.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By Bruce
@Jesus:  

I think it's cool, just build a synagogue, a church, and a Buddhist temple right across the street from it.  

Honestly, I don't feel like ANY religion should be allowed to build a place of worship there. 
Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jesus
@one_2nd: When you say "they" do you mean the Mosque itself? The message I know it's sending is hey look if you're Muslim then you can come worship here. Like I said before, the thing has been labeled with many names by the media and politicians looking for attention before elections. That is all. This building was in the process of being built long before it became a "hot button" issue. Also IMO admitting that having Muslim places of worship close to the 9/11 site is disrespectful is simply grouping normal Muslims with extremists. /end rant.
OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By OmegaChosen

It's not even a mosque. It's an Islamic community center that is completely open to the public like a YMCA, that happens to have a small praying area for Muslims similar to the small chapels inside of most hospitals. The people who are building it are proud Americans who want to support better relations among people of all beliefs and the Islamic community due to their scapegoating as an acceptable target among America's fearmongers. To be against this is to be against what it is to be American.

One of the best articles I've seen explaining why the controversy over it is a load of bull was written by a Cracked.com writer(which I only mention because even the jokesters over there realize how foolish it is): 
http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-reasons-the-ground-zero-mosque-debate-makes-no-sense/

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jesus
@Bruce said:
" @Jesus:  

I think it's cool, just build a synagogue, a church, and a Buddhist temple right across the street from it.  

Honestly, I don't feel like ANY religion should be allowed to build a place of worship there.  "
Also this lol. Religion most of the time leads to stuff getting out of hand. *cough* Glen Beck injecting religion into government *cough* It would be cool if a hot dog stand was put in at that building site instead.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho
@Jesus said:
" @Bruce said:
" @Jesus:  

Honestly, I don't feel like ANY religion should be allowed to build a place of worship there.  "
Also this lol. Religion most of the time leads to stuff getting out of hand. *cough* Glen Beck injecting religion into government *cough* It would be cool if a hot dog stand was put in at that building site instead. "
I find people who scapegoat human nature onto religion (religion just fosters and expands, it doesn't create anything not there already) are being pretty intolerant themselves. How is the solution "forbid everyone from practicing religion"? You gonna replace the pictures of Jesus with pictures of Stalin next? 
I skated dangerously close to Godwin's law just now.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By one_2nd
@Jesus: When I say they, I mean the builders and whoever the hell gets the final say, don't make me sound prejudice. I don't understand, you make a thread asking my opinion, then tell me I'm wrong. Sorry, you're right.
voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By voodooterror

how is there not a mosque in one of the worlds most popular and known cities already?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ryanwho
@VoodooTerror said:
" how is there not a mosque in one of the worlds most popular and known cities already? "
I love when people are like "I did zero research, have my opinions".