• 83 results
#1 Edited by liquiddragon (229 posts) -

Superhero movies have become a summer blockbuster staple now and every year we get a hand full of them.

There are some great ones, some not so great ones, and everything in between.

So I'm wondering what your top 5 superhero movies are.

Mine would be:

1. The Dark Knight (2008) Everything you'd want in a live-action superhero movie. This super high budget picture's got a believable script and handles 2 villains with a certain grace. It's has loads of memorable scenes with major moments shot in IMAX format and the acting is great across the board. It's incredibly ambitious, it's technically dazzling, and it's socially relevant.

2. Spider-Man (2002) It really set the bar for superhero movies for me. This fun action-packed flick's got the cast, humor, drama, and romance. They did an awesome job detailing the origin story and simultaneously build conflict with the main antagonist for the inevitable showdown.

3. Batman Begins (2005) This realistic origin tale surprised me with many things including ninja goodness. No superhero movie is better paced and no origin story is better told.

4. X-Men (2000) I liked the way they handled the ensemble cast and I can still remember the opening scene with Magneto at the concentration camp. The action is great, the dialogue is snappy, and story is intriguing and moves.

5. Iron Man (2008) Robert Downey Jr. is great and really injects first-rate humor in surprising ways. He's cocky, smart, and perfect as Iron Man. Hands down the most bad-ass suit of any superhero.

Runner-Ups including: X-Men: First Class, Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, X2

#2 Edited by TheHT (11088 posts) -
  1. Watchmen
  2. Kick-Ass Unbreakable
  3. Spider-Man 2
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. The Avengers

Goddamn, how could i forget about Unbreakable. Sorry Kick-Ass, but you're no Man in the Raincoat.

#3 Posted by tunaburn (1890 posts) -

1. watchmen best superhero movie ever

2. super (fucking amazing close 2nd)

3. iron man

4. batman (newest one with joker)

and thats it... dont really like superhero movies

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3527 posts) -

1. The Crow

2. The Incredibles

3. Kick ass

4. Iron Man

5. The Mask

#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

1) The Dark Knight
2) X-Men Origins: Wolverine
3) The Avengers
4) Iron Man 1  
Don't even got a fifth.

#6 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -

1. The Dark Knight 
2. The Avengers 
3. Watchmen 
4. Iron Man 
5. Batman Begins

#7 Posted by Bribo (598 posts) -

1) Superman II

2) Superman

3) The Return of Captain Invincible

4) The Incredibles

5) Spiderman 2

#8 Edited by JordanaRama (176 posts) -

Super

The Incredibles

Dark Knight

Iron Man

The Avengers

Runnerups: Spiderman 2, Captain America

#9 Posted by meaninoflife42 (503 posts) -

#5: Spider-Man 2

#4: X-Men: First Class

#3: Iron Man

#2: The Avengers

#1: The Dark Knight

#10 Edited by Yummylee (21467 posts) -
  • Batman (1989)
  • The Watchmen
  • The Mask... that counts, right? If not then the first Blade film.
  • Batman: Under the Red Hood
  • Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker Unbreakable

There's an awful lot of other superhero films that I've enjoyed but haven't seen recently enough to decide whether I'd consider em as apart of my top 5, though, like The Incredibles and the first two X-Men films.

#11 Posted by Hunter5024 (5600 posts) -

Watchmen, The Dark Knight, X2, Spiderman 2, and Batman Begins. Kind of a boring list I know. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of what the Marvel film studios have been doing lately. Ironman was good, though it doesn't really hold up to repeat viewings, I enjoyed The Avengers when I first saw it but the further away from it I get the more I dislike it. Other than that I think they're making really shallow movies, Iron Man 2 and Thor just felt like giant advertisements. If this were comic vine I would be speaking blasphemy.

#12 Posted by Sweep (8837 posts) -
  • Unbreakable
  • The Avengers
  • Batman: The Dark Knight
  • Iron Man
  • Watchmen

Does unbreakable count? Spoilers: The answer is yes.

#13 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

@Sweep: Oh shit, I completely forgot about Unbreakable! That too has to be on my top 5 as it's easily one of Bruce Willis' best performances. I'll switch that in from Return of the Joker.

#14 Posted by crow13 (139 posts) -

1. The Crow

2. Batman (Tim Burton's)

3. The Dark Knight

4. Iron Man

5. The Amazing Spider-Man

#15 Edited by Molenator85 (220 posts) -
  1. The Incredibles
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. Unbreakable
  4. The Avengers
  5. Spiderman 2
#16 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

1) The Dark Knight 2) X-Men Origins: Wolverine 3) The Avengers 4) Iron Man 1 Don't even got a fifth.

Watchmen?

#17 Posted by DaJimmyRustla (7 posts) -

1.Watchmen

2.Batman Begins

3.X-men first class

4.Hellboy

5.Spawn

#18 Edited by Ghost_Cat (1421 posts) -

1. Black Dynamite

2. Watchmen

3. TDKR

4. Blade II

5. The Incredibles

#19 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1421 posts) -

@DaJimmyRustla said:

5.Spawn

Are you trying to piss me off?

#20 Edited by LackingSaint (1782 posts) -

1. Unbreakable

2. The Dark Knight

3. Super

4. Watchmen

5. The Avengers

#21 Posted by DaJimmyRustla (7 posts) -

@Ghost_Cat: Nope,I like spawn(Even if Macfarlane is a douchebag) and thats the olny movie they put out for him

#22 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@MikeGosot said:

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

1) The Dark Knight 2) X-Men Origins: Wolverine 3) The Avengers 4) Iron Man 1 Don't even got a fifth.

Watchmen?

Didn't like the movie, didn't do anything for me.
#23 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -
  1. Avengers
  2. Kick-Ass
  3. Watchmen
  4. The Incredibles
  5. The Amazing Spider-Man
#24 Edited by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

1. Dark Knight Rises

2. Dark Knight

3. Superman '78

4. The Avengers

5. Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero

If Constantine counts, it goes above Avengers. Honorable mention to The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension.

#25 Posted by DaJimmyRustla (7 posts) -

@LackingSaint: Was unbreakable any good?

#26 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: Huh, that's something i don't usually hear. I thought the movie was good, but way too fucking long.

#27 Posted by DaJimmyRustla (7 posts) -

@MikeGosot: Any shorter and they would've gotten bombarded by angry fans.

#28 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@MikeGosot said:

@TaliciaDragonsong: Huh, that's something i don't usually hear. I thought the movie was good, but way too fucking long.

Dunno, I just didn't feel much watching it. Rorschach was cool but beyond that, meh. Nothing.
#29 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

@DaJimmyRustla said:

@MikeGosot: Any shorter and they would've gotten bombarded by angry fans.

Fans suck. I mean, it's ok to adapt things for the big screen, you don't need a 3 hour movie to tell everything. I feel it kind of drags at some parts, it's kinda tiring.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@MikeGosot said:

Dunno, I just didn't feel much watching it. Rorschach was cool but beyond that, meh. Nothing.

I thought the villain was great too, and i enjoyed Dr. Manhattan a lot. But i think i understand your point.

#30 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Watchmen, The Incredibles, Unbreakable, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises

#31 Posted by benspyda (2032 posts) -
  1. The Dark Knight
  2. The Avengers
  3. X2
  4. Iron Man
  5. Batman Begins
#32 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1720 posts) -

I guess it's hard to me to say what would constitute as an actual superhero movie, but I guess I would say:

1. Blade 2
2. Hellboy 2
3. The Avengers
4. Spiderman (I enjoyed all of the Raimi movies somewhat equally)
5. The Dark Knight (or Batman Begins)

#33 Posted by liquiddragon (229 posts) -

So I created this topic after watching The Amazing Spider-Man and The Avengers recently but I'm not a huge superhero fan and know even less about comics. Some of you are mentioning movies that I really enjoyed (Kick-Ass) and some I thought were solid (Watchmen). Obviously, superheros started in comic books but not all comics are about superheros so where do you draw the line? If someone can clarify for me, I may need to change my list.

#34 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1026 posts) -

@Bribo said:

2) Superman

@Little_Socrates said:

3. Superman '78

Everyone in this thread aside from these two should be ashamed.

#35 Posted by LackingSaint (1782 posts) -

@DaJimmyRustla said:

@LackingSaint: Was unbreakable any good?

If you can take your movie pacing being very deliberate and slow-burning, it's a fantastic origin story. It's like 95% build, 5% payoff, but once you get that payoff mm mmm.

#36 Posted by Yummylee (21467 posts) -

Oh man, I also just remembered Chronicle... If I were to put some actual thought behind this, picking my definite top 5 favourite superhero films would be tough.

#37 Posted by DeF (4848 posts) -

@OneKillWonder_ said:

I guess it's hard to me to say what would constitute as an actual superhero movie, but I guess I would say: 1. Blade 2 2. Hellboy 2 3. The Avengers 4. Spiderman (I enjoyed all of the Raimi movies somewhat equally) 5. The Dark Knight (or Batman Begins)

See, I don't know how to make this list. I want to put Blade in there but is he considered a "super hero"?! It's a comic book adaptation but not all comic books are super hero comics. For the sake of getting my list to five at all, let's just throw Blade in the mix.

No particular order:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

The only movie which I can stand to watch dubbed in German--and I actually think it's the superior version!

Batman Begins

Every since I was little, I've always had a weak spot for Batman but it's always been in the silly way--60s TV Batman, the animated series, the crappy 90s movies... but Begins really grabbed me.

The Avengers

I don't care much for superhero movies. I didn't read any of the comic books, I don't care much for blockbuster spectacle. What I do care for is Joss Whedon. And boy did he make me care about the Avengers!

Blade

It's been ages since I've seen this so it's all rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

Iron Man

I had only seen this in preparation for The Avengers and didn't expect much. I was surprised to find RDJ being a brilliant Tony Stark and the chemistry with Gwyneth Paltrow's Pepper Potts was just too fascinating.

I had trouble scrambling five together. Never cared much for The Dark Knight, never cared much for the X-Men movies, haven't seen most of the other ones. I somewhat like Spider-Man and Daredevil when they came out but I have no desire to ever seen them again so I think that means they're out of the race. I have seen Power Rangers: The Movie as a kid, does that count? I love the crap out of that one. (I still own the VHS)

#38 Edited by PSNgamesun (406 posts) -

Spider Man 2

Superman

The Dark Knight

Blade 2

The Crow

#39 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Dark Knight

Spiderman 2

Hellboy 2

The Incredible Hulk

The Green Hornet - I really liked this, because like Batman his only "power" is money; however unlike Batman he has no fucking idea what he is doing.

#40 Posted by Danteveli (1173 posts) -

Watchmen, Tim Burton's Batman, Punisher with Dolph Lundgren(?), Iron Man, Hellboy

#41 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

Dark Knight

Avengers

Dark Knight Rises

Batman Begins

Iron Man

I really think they have gotten better as we've gone along. Sure they still make some shitty ones, but I think Nolan's Batman was amazing. Dark Knight is one of the best action/thriller movies ever made. The pacing is just perfect. Avengers though is the movie that really captured comic book fun to me. To juggle all those heroes and have it work is impressive. The dialogue and action was top notch stuff.

One big annoyance I have though is the first in a super hero movie taking so long to get going and having to trudge through the origin story. Us nerds get it and most of the public does too or doesn't even really care. The only times I thought that was well done was Batman Begins and Iron Man.

Final annoyance: movies like the stupid X-Men series taking one of the best parts of the super hero, the costume, and making everyone dress like a secret agent in a black body suit. Shits boring and loses all the fun. The fact that Wolverine wasn't in his costume in those movies was just the worst to me.

#42 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

X2

Batman Begins

Dark Knight

Spider Man 2

Iron Man

#43 Posted by TooWalrus (13153 posts) -

I'm actually not a huge fan of super movies. Thor, Captian America, Ironman III, are OK, I suppose. The Batman movies are great... I've actually got a soft spot for- you know what, I probably can make this list after all. It's probably be something like this:

1. Spider Man II

2. Iron Man

3. Batman Begins

4. The Incredible Hulk (that's the "soft spot," I actually really like this movie)

5. Thanks @Yummylee for reminding me that The Mask totally counts as a superhero movie. That's one of my favorite movies...

#44 Posted by FavoritoBandito (170 posts) -

1. The Dark Knight

2. The Incredibles

3. The Watchmen

4. Iron Man

5. The Avengers

Unfortunately, I still haven't seen Batman Begins or the Dark Knight Rises.

#45 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -
  1. X-Men First Class
  2. The Incredibles
  3. Batman Returns
  4. Spiderman 2
  5. The Avengers

I picked one movie from each series of movies.

#46 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

Three pages in and no one even mentioned Robocop. For shame.

#47 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3131 posts) -

Best one for me is probably Dark Knight Rises.

After that, in no particular order:

Ang Lee's Hulk

Watchmen

The Dark Knight

The Avengers

#48 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1720 posts) -
@DeF said:

@OneKillWonder_ said:

I guess it's hard to me to say what would constitute as an actual superhero movie, but I guess I would say: 1. Blade 2 2. Hellboy 2 3. The Avengers 4. Spiderman (I enjoyed all of the Raimi movies somewhat equally) 5. The Dark Knight (or Batman Begins)

See, I don't know how to make this list. I want to put Blade in there but is he considered a "super hero"?! It's a comic book adaptation but not all comic books are super hero comics. For the sake of getting my list to five at all, let's just throw Blade in the mix.

Precisely. I mean, Blade certainly is 'super', and he is a hero of some sort (more of an anti-hero), but yeah, not what you would traditionally call a superhero. Same with Hellboy. But I love those characters and movies so why the hell not.
#49 Posted by Onkel_Apan (56 posts) -

2 persons mentioning Super, 2 people as great taste. it is sad that Kickass and Super came out near each other and most people watched Kickass.

#50 Posted by Spaceyoghurt (161 posts) -

1. V for Vendetta

2. The Dark Knight

3. Unbreakable

4. Hellboy

5. Spiderman