You're stranded on an island. Velociraptors or spiders?

• 174 results
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'd rather stay with a million velociraptors.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By kermoosh

oh damn, i chose spiders until you said they were those brazilian things. raptors it is

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By izzygraze

Raptors. As far as I know they can't climb trees. I only have to survive a week so I could probably climb a tree and ration however much food was on it for a week. If it's a densely packed Island then I might even be able to get to other trees from mine. That or I'd do what I do in Minecraft. Dig a hole and live in it.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By hangedtoaster

Dude totally a million spiders, I can create a small piece of land on the beach surrounded by water. Ain't no spider alive that can survive swimming through water.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#105  Edited By Justin258

@Jay444111 said:

@believer258 said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Elazul said:

@Jay444111 said:

@believer258 said:

Velociraptors. See, they're extinct, and you didn't state that I had to be surrounded by live raptors. And it's too late to tell me they're alive, this is hypothetical and you should have had all the details in the first place.

@Jay444111 said:

Since you said Velociraptors... I will take them on. In reality, they are NOT the size of Jurassic Park version... in fact, they are more or less angry turkey's... as long as you sleep in a tree each night, I think I could take them on easily...

The spiders, fuck that. Fuck that noise HARD!

Nice job misquoting the movie. The raptors in Jurassic Park are fictional, certainly, but the actual ones definitely weren't docile creatures or even anything you could hope to wrestle yourself or kill with makeshift weapons.

Do you doubt the powers of slamming a animal the size of a medium dog into a jagged rock? Also the fact that they have somewhat long necks means that they are good for grappling and throwing down.

Also. They are more or less angry turkey's! I am not going by that movie but by how big they actually are, they only go up TO YOUR KNEES!!! Killing all of them would be childs play. Seriously. I could send in a five man team of 8 year olds on the island and they could survive against actual real world Velocirapters!

Have you ever disarmed a man of a knife? Tell you what, go do that and then tell me how much fun it would be to try and disarm ten, three-foot tall, lightning-fast, scaly men each armed with two knives that are grafted onto to thier feet, while they're all jumping at you at the same time.

Granted they are quite small, but if you really think you could actually survive an encounter with ten of them while unarmed, let alone easily take them all out yourself, then you're just not being realistic.

Here us the thing, a Raptor has never dealt with a human being before. Or a adaptive one at that. I myself know how to make fires with very little amounts of stuff involved. I doubt they can comprehend fire as well. Also these things are small. I mean, if you punched one in the face you could probably stun the little bastard pretty easily.

Depending on footware you could stomp them to death if you wanted! if you have thick clothing that only makes it more of a ace in the sleeve for you! Once you kill one I imagine that you could probably make a pretty damn good mace with raptor claws and stuff as well. As long as you have fabrice to tie them together you are fine!

I would rather go against ten raptors than a million spiders. At least the raptors one is possible!

All right, you know the part in Jurassic Park 2 where the guy gets eaten by the little dinosaurs when he wanders off alone? A similar thing would happen to you.

That guy had a gun and didn't use it... he deserved to die for that alone. Also the fact that he didn't even try to defend himself is another thing. It is like he literally wanted to commit suicide by dinosaur. A smart person would KILL any dinosaur they see. If I saw a little bastard like that, you can sure as hell be told that I am going to eat the bastard after I strangle it! If it's buddies show up, I either run or I kick their asses as well!

We are really going into this... aren't we?

No... no, not anymore.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By ripelivejam

i'm wondering how raptors would really react to people though. i mean it's POSSIBLE to go amongst tigers and lions in the wild and they might ignore you or coexist relatively happily. maybe their instincts wouldn't even be wired properly to see humans as a source of food, or they may be too skittish and continually hide from us. it's a good chance they'd eventually catch on to a single defenseless human being alone in the trees, but i think they'd be very reluctant to even approach for awhile. also if they'd had a meal maybe it's even less likely they'd take action against you.

or they may just slice you to ribbons within three seconds of setting foot on the island, idunno.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#107  Edited By Fearbeard

Since you chose the spider to be a highly venemous one then clearly the raptors are a better choice.

10 things that can kill you or 1 million things that can kill you

Heimdal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By Heimdal

I'd also go with the raptors.

Mostly because I absolutely detest spiders. But also mostly so I can say when they inevitably corner me for the kill, "Clever girl."

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#110  Edited By Slag

raptors definitely raptors . And I wouldn't try to kill them just hide somewhere with enough food and water to last for at least a couple days.

1. the basic assumption seems to be that the raptors would hunt you instantly. I think they'd ignore you until they are hungry. That gives you time to fortify yourself somewhere in some fashion on the island.
  2. if need be you only need to kill 10
  3. With the spiders you'd never feel safe, if you did manage to kill ten raptors you would know they are dead.
  4. Spiders could get you in your sleep. The average person eats several spiders in their sleep every year.
  5. Raptors might be smart enough to avoid you if they saw you can kill them
  6. Conversely You might be able to befriend them and join their pack
  7. Since they are smart they'd likely choose to eat whatever is easiest to catch. Chances are they wouldn't think that's you if there are other animals present.
  8. The Spiders would be all over the whole island escape from encounters would be virtually impossible.
  9. If they are revived through modern science, raptor DNA is likely incomplete and they are probably all messed up.
  10. If Raptors are alive that means Dinosaurs live once more and that's awesome!
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I went raptor. Give me the quick death and get it over with.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By crithon

most spiders leave you alone, they have to scared into biting you. Even the Iraq Spiders that the marines showed off didn't attack them, when their freaking 2 feet long.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By intro

In case no one has, I'd like to also point out that spiders can probably reproduce and hide eggs everywhere, especially if there are 1mil starting out on the island. Basically the way I look at this is 10 raptors that I should work on trapping, killing, and be done with asap. Or I can choose an unlimited amount of spiders that will bother the fuck out of me forever.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#114  Edited By Sackmanjones

At least I get to see dinosaurs before I die.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By c_rakestraw

Raptors. I'd much rather die a quick grisly death than a painfully prolonged one. Doubt I'd last long before being bit by one of those nasty spiders if there's a million of them. Least I'd have a chance at avoiding the raptors since they're so few in number.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By NTM

As much as I hate spiders, and am completely disgusted by them, I'd say I'd rather go with the spiders, I think there's a better chance of survival. And no you can't say "Well, well, they'd be all around you!" I imagine the spiders would rather be doing their own thing than hunting me, while the dino's would most likely be looking for food, and I'd be a good source. Actually it really depends on what one million spiders looks like in an area of two football fields, then maybe I'd choose the dino's.

Also, there's a lot of things that factor into such a thing, like how predatory are they? Are they trying to hunt me down, or is this open to what we can come up with from our own knowledge of them? Also, some people may not know, but what you see in Jurassic Park and some of other media, is not what Velociraptors really looked like, those were modeled after a different species of dinosaur. This is what they really looked like:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Their height went about as high as a normal persons knee height. I change my mind, I might go with the raptors, but again, it all just depends.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By hangedtoaster
@NTM: The idea of being stalked by what is essentially a gigantic turkey is not nearly as terrifying as being stalked by the movie version of a velociraptor
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By NTM

@hangedtoaster: They weren't that big, as I had said, knee height.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

lol @ people thinking they can take on Raptors

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Xeiphyer

I'll be taking those raptors thanks, they're actually quite small. Not to mention they're scavengers so they would probably leave me alone or be scared off easily.

No Caption Provided
ADarkMatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ADarkMatter
@xaLieNxGrEyx: I know, taking on 10 dogs would be fucking hard, now 10 Raptors, there's no chance.
lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By lmenzol

@Jay444111: this, well played. plus the wandering spider is extremely aggressive and venomous

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#123  Edited By kraznor

Okay, I voted spiders but you had to be a dick and make them the most highly poisonous spiders out there, so obviously I'm changing my answer to raptors. Thing is, they're actually smaller than movies would have you believe and we can climb trees yo. Easy peasy.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#124  Edited By xymox

The space is too small to deal with the raptors. I think I have a better shot against the spiders. Also I've played enough minecraft to know they can't climb over 90 degree corners.

The biggest problem is surviving the week - if you manage to kill the 10 raptors, you're in the clear. Now, if you kill a bunch of spiders, it doesn't matter because there's so damn many of them. So when do you sleep?

Fuck. Maybe raptors are the way to go, and just make a quick climb for the highest palm tree and stay there for the week. Need to open coconuts somehow though...

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#125  Edited By Deleth

Since the Op has stated I'd be jurassic park raptors I'd go with the spiders. They only come out at night, their number would dwindle in no time (they'd eat each other) and could simply hide on the beach, creating a barrier out of burnings logs. Also spiders wouldn't go out of their way to hunt you.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By shirogane

That many spiders on an island that size, that island is made of spiders at that point. Not a real choice.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#127  Edited By wefwefasdf

I would probably die, so I would rather be eaten by raptors than killed by giant spiders. Spiders are pure evil.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#128  Edited By HH

it's possible to hide from raptors right? there would be certain places they couldn't reach or access because of their size.

spiders? those motherfucks can get everywhere. also this is why giant spiders (like man-size) are not scarey, because you can just close the door on them, it's the wee ones that swarm under and over and up and around that are the problem.

also, if it was spiders i would instantly shit / puke / piss myself and die from having nothing left in my body

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

@Mahonay said:

One million spiders. I can overpower them at least. I'll become their Spider King.

I can't disagree with Steve Guttenberg. He was in Police Academy 4.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Tyrrael

First, let me just say that I'm not trying to be mean or a jerk. That having been said, I would choose the velociraptors as the 1 million spiders would be pretty close to impossible or at least very implausible, which I guess was the point, but still.

These spiders have a legspan(diameter) of about 4-5 inches. If you use the spider's similar shape to a circle, you can calculate the approximate area it inhabits. I am going to use an average of 4 inches in this example. A spider with a legspan of 4 inches takes up about 12.5 sq inches or .087 sq ft. If you multiply .087 sq ft by 1 million, you get 87,000 sq ft. Two football fields is 115,200 sq ft. If the island was bare and perfectly shaped, the spiders could be placed side by side evenly spaced and take up about 75% of the entire island. Now since you said 'nature' in the description, I am going to assume that this is supposed to be a kind of jungle island. This doesn't really help you much, since this particular spider generally stays on the jungle floor and "wanders" at night, hence the name. If the spiders were relatively evenly spaced throughout the island, you would be almost totally screwed, even if you managed to build a treehouse and only set foot on the jungle floor to find food. To make matters worse, this was all assuming an average legspan of 4 inches. If I were to increase that by only 1 inch and use 5 inches instead, then the spiders would take up about 136,000 sq ft, which, if evenly spaced, is the entire island and them some. In this case, you ARE totally screwed.

If anybody finds that my math is wrong, please let me know, although I'm willing to bet that a lot of people didn't make it down this far. Again, not trying to be a jerk. It's just that a lot of people use 1 million, because it's the first big number they think of, often not realizing just how big that number can actually be.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I feel like I would have a chance to defend against 10 Raptors. They cant be everywhere at once and I'm sure there is a chance to build shelter. But there would be no chance to shield against that many spiders, only one needs to slip through and you are done.

So, Raptors.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

With cloning advancements, one day you children's children will be able to find out.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#133  Edited By mike

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Raptors.

I've played enough Turok.
No Caption Provided

That's how I envision my fight with the raptors...only the knife is so I can stab myself to death before being ripped apart and eaten by raptors.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Vexxan

Raptors. They're not that big and against that I might have a shot but one million spiders...no way.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

The raptors would probably be scared of humans. I would defend myself with fire, spears, and possibly fire spears.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By TruthTellah

Raptors. At least I might have a chance of outmaneuvering them and perhaps eventually capturing them. Maybe even make one your friend after a while. You can't do that with spiders. The spiders are like trying to push against a wave. They just come in through any little cracks and slowly engulf you. Raptors can be somewhat avoided. Spiders will simply get you eventually.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Capum15

Raptors. If I can't climb up a tree, at least my death will be way more awesome than a death by spiders.

Would be an awesome fucking headstone at least, if someone would engrave it with raptors.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As scared as I am of spiders, 10 million across an entire island doesn't seem like many.

I mean, you could probably avoid them for the most part.

Far rather stumbling upon one and squeeling, than being clawed to death by a 6-foot tall bird.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By TruthTellah

Oh gawd! Spiders!! Nwooooo!!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By CL60
@GetEveryone

As scared as I am of spiders, 10 million across an entire island doesn't seem like many.

Far rather stumbling upon one and squeeling, than being clawed to death by a 6-foot tall bird.

That's actually movie lies. Raptors were more like the size of a very large Chicken(long in terms of tail length and such.) but only like a foot tall, and weighed 30 pounds. They've also never actually been found in packs, so there is no evidence to suggest they hunted in packs, and they also aren't they fast.(due to their shortness and small legs.)
mowgers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By mowgers

Oh raptors easy. Actual velociraptors were way smaller than in Jurassic Park. Came up to a dude's knee. They massively exaggerated the scariness of them in JP. Climb a tree, make a good club out of a branch, smack t' fuck out of 'em when you're ready.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#142  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@benefitevil said:

Spiders, sure there are a million of them, but if you create a ring of Fire your golden. That should be easy enough to do, tribes in Africa and Native American's have been doing it for centuries!

Exactly. I played Uncharted 3. I know how that shit works.

Wait, the spiders aren't the ones from Uncharted 3 right? Cause fuck that!

ashcrack1087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By ashcrack1087

1 million of the most venomous spiders in the world on an island the size of 2 football pitches vs 10 raptors? Think i'll go with the raptors and just stay in the trees thanks. Did I mention the spiders venom has the same affect as viagra? Yeah you'll be in intense pain, suffocating and you'll have an erection(also painful) for however long it takes for the venom to eventually kill you.

Seastalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Seastalk

I'd take the spiders. Raptors are far too cunning.

Also spiders would provide protein for your daily castaway diet.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CL60 said:

@GetEveryone

That's actually movie lies. Raptors were more like the size of a very large Chicken(long in terms of tail length and such.) but only like a foot tall, and weighed 30 pounds. They've also never actually been found in packs, so there is no evidence to suggest they hunted in packs, and they also aren't they fast.(due to their shortness and small legs.)

That's actually really interesting. Links?

Dinosaurs get me legitimately hype.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

10 dinosaurs that weight up to 15 kg? Yeah, I think I could survive a week with that diet.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By NMC2008

Raptors.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By MeierTheRed

Guess i'm stomping on 1 million spiders.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Jrinswand

I chose spiders before reading the rest of the OP. I figured, "Hey, they could be grandaddy longlegs or something." I want to change my vote!

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By RuthLoose

1 million spiders because there are probably half that many in the tree outside my window. Cover yourself in shit and mud and those spiders won't bother you too much.