YouTube is adding support for 48 and 60fps

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll YouTube is adding support for 48 and 60fps (159 votes)

This is cool 97%
This is uncool 3%

60 FPS: Motion-intense videos will look even better on @YouTube when we launch support for 48 and even 60 frames per second, coming soon.

— YouTube Creators (@YTCreators) June 27, 2014

The above playlist contains the first three videos on YouTube to use the new, higher frame rates. Make sure to watch in 720p or higher in order to see the effect.

I think this is really cool (and I know @jeff will be happy about it too), and to see this kind of upgrade combined with the closer integration between YouTube, Twitch and built-in console streaming is really sweet. I reckon it'll make for some super accessible, and super high quality, video game video content on the web. I wonder if and when we'll see an upgrade to the bitrate used by YouTube for serving up their videos to the public.

Also reported here:

• 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

das cool

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Why not 120???

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah! Maybe they'll eventually get movies to move on from 24fps as well.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Corevi

Previously you could upload 60fps videos and play them at double speed and they would work. so it's cool to see native support for it. I had an example but it seems to have been taken down...

After all these years of watching 24 or 30fps video 60 looks too smooth.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

sogood.gif

I wonder if this will be supported on non-browser versions (Android, consoles, TVs etc).

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

video games are going to look great..... animation might look weird.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That's neat, I guess.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring on the 60!

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hopefully the Chromecast can handle it, and then assuming GB uploads 60FPS to Youtube, I could get 60FPS quicklooks on the couch without having to download videos in advance.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oh man, Google is doing something right with Youtube, for once!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'ts about time. I'm tired of videos not moving at the speed of real life. Real life FPS is only limited by your very own eye power.

DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome news, unfortunately their bitrate is pretty low. I downloaded the Battlefield sample 60fps video, and the 720p60 version is only 2.8mbps, with 1080p60 at 4.8mbps. Existing 720p30 content on YT is 2.5mbps... Oh well, I'm sure it'll get sorted out if enough creators complain. A step in the right direction for sure.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

I must be going crazy - I mean, sure, the battlefield video looked good, but a side effect of this seems to be that it's extremely noticeable when the engine itself isn't pushing the same frame rate as the video is outputting... ?

I mean, just as an example, the car movement at ~24 seconds shows the in-game frame rate takes quite a hit - along with when the camera pans down towards the city street, etc etc... Like the smooth parts are smoother but ... I dunno.

Also it kind of makes the whole video look like a 3D Mark test...

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14 MooseyMcMan  Online

It's cool because it's going to make a lot of dumb YouTube videos look even dumber, which I approve of heartily.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Does this mean that Ubisoft will now start locking the PC versions of games at 24-30 FPS in addition to "equalizing" the graphics?

hacksword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Completely pointless. I can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, therefore no one else can either. Besides, 30 fps gives everything a more filmic look. Last I checked, YouTube videos were FILMS, not video games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

48fps needs to be standard on movies. Everyone says "well it looks weird!" Well no shit. Your eyes aren't used to it yet. If people actually stuck with it they would see in the end its the better choice.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@hacksword: Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't I can very clearly tell the difference between 60 and 30. Its night and day really. And the "filmic" look argument is utter bullshit. Its people grasping to find words to describe an intangible thing that they have no way of actually describing anyway else.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike
Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think thats cool

Curious if the console versions of youtube get the 60 fps, even on the older platforms.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MarkWahlberg

More numbers for people to fight about on the internet! Hooray!

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Hamst3r

It doesn't matter.

Because:

Youtube videos still look like shit the moment there's anything happening on screen.
Youtube videos still look like shit the moment there's anything happening on screen.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes please! People are so stubborn on this one though. It's only because we've had almost 100 years of 24 fps.

@dixavd said:

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes please! People are so stubborn on this one though. It's only because we've had almost 100 years of 24 fps.

@dixavd said:

After the Hobbit movies in 48fps, seeing films in 24fps looks so stuttery by comparison. I look forward to this catching on in the future.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fighting games, Yes!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely pointless. I can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, therefore no one else can either. Besides, 30 fps gives everything a more filmic look. Last I checked, YouTube videos were FILMS, not video games.

This guy gets it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@hacksword said:

This guy gets it.

He's got to be joking right? Haha.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really can't understand how anyone can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. It's like people who can't tell if something's in SD or HD. I wish I was like that, I could've saved a lot of money on videocards, monitors and TVs.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcorb said:

I really can't understand how anyone can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. It's like people who can't tell if something's in SD or HD. I wish I was like that, I could've saved a lot of money on videocards, monitors and TVs.

You save some money sure but being blind has some drawbacks aswell.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The peasant eye can't see above 24 fps.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: That's the annoying part. I have terrible, terrible vision, and even without glasses or contacts the difference is obvious. 20/20 is wasted on some people.

Jertje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mikey87144

@hacksword said:

Tell that to PC gamers and you'll be laughed at. I can tell the difference immediately. It's why some of the early 4K monitors that were capped at 30fps was a no go for a lot of PC people. I can even see when it dips below 60 to the 50s.

Also, you were probably joking and referencing that BS quote from the devs of The Order

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GaspoweR

@hamst3r said:

It doesn't matter.

Because:

I was watching the video and since I'm not necessarily trained to spot it, I didn't really notice it much at all. 60 fps does make a really big difference overall though.

I remember when Twitch started implementing that and I was watching it at the highest possible quality and it was an UMVC3 match and it makes a huge difference. Glad that Youtube is starting to adopt it. Sure it could be better but its a start.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Niceanims

@crithon: only if you're making your animations at 60 fps.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#37 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Is it me, or did the beginning of the Titanfall video look like it was running at double speed? Once the dude got into the titan it looked fine, but before that it looked like the video was playing at double speed.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By crithon

@itwongo: true, but was watching some 2D work at 60 fps, looks like Flash tween animation

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wewantsthering said:

@dixavd said:

After the Hobbit movies in 48fps, seeing films in 24fps looks so stuttery by comparison. I look forward to this catching on in the future.

To be fair, unless you watch all films at the movies or on a 120hz TV at home, 24fps looks stuttery for more reasons than low framerate. Because most displays that aren't 3D TVs have a refresh rate of around 60fps, you don't get accurate frames from those displays when the source is at 24fps. Instead of a frame lasting two refreshes like with 30fps on a 60 hz screen, different frames last for a different number of refreshes.

Higher framerates will help, but unless you're either running a high refresh rate screen or viewing in an actual theatre environment, even 48 won't be optimal, not really anyway. Kinda wish we would move to a 30/60 standard because all displays handle those well.

Is it me, or did the beginning of the Titanfall video look like it was running at double speed? Once the dude got into the titan it looked fine, but before that it looked like the video was playing at double speed.

Common effect of watching 60fps footage when you aren't accustomed to it.

Playing on a 144hz screen for the first time was sort of the same for me, it was pretty weird when I was actually playing something and it felt fast. Also a weird side effect of very high framerates is there's almost a motion blur effect you get from the frames being much closer together and the way your brain interprets that data.

I'm pretty excited. It's sort of got me thinking about starting to do videos again. Especially with ShadowPlay getting more and more awesome as we go along, it's going to be pretty nice to have higher framerates. Even if it means much bigger files for editing.

bremaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea of adding in 60fps. I probably wont be able to see it for some time as my computer is an old junker, but I'll get there.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noice.

So can future purchasers of The Hobbit Blu-rays get their own passwords to watch Youtube versions? Because it's kind of frustrating that the Blu-ray standard is still locked at 24P. I'm not claiming that they're perfect movies, but I always want to re-watch them the way crazy ol' Peter Jackson intended. My eyes crave that hot 48FPS.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noice.

So can future purchasers of The Hobbit Blu-rays get their own passwords to watch Youtube versions? Because it's kind of frustrating that the Blu-ray standard is still locked at 24P. I'm not claiming that they're perfect movies, but I always want to re-watch them the way crazy ol' Peter Jackson intended. My eyes crave that hot 48FPS.

Watching The Hobbit on Youtube is totally what Peter intended all along :)