Zombieland: Greatest Zombie flick ever?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ch3burashka

No, I don't believe it is, but I was very impressed at how it delivered a fun experience condensed into less than two hours; it kept up a rhythm of revelations and zombie-killings so as to not bore the audience, and they succeeded. 

Do you (yes, you!) have any thoughts on it, besides OMG IT WAS COOL? As for me, the actor cameo was hilarious. Too bad s/he got killed off so quickly.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

I dunno where this movie came from all of a sudden =S slipped me by and suddenly i see forums and blogs referin to it everywere. Maybe it isn't released in the UK theatres yet.
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ApertureSilence

Zombieland was a very diverting movie, but in no way is it even close to being the "Greatest Zombie flick ever". It's not even the greatest zombie comedy (or "zomedy", as I like to call them). That honor belongs to Shawn of the Dead.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sam_lfcfan

Zombieland just beats out Shaun of the Dead for me because it's a more fun movie. 

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By ImperiousRix

It's definitely a "fun" zombie movie, one that's probably more accessible to a mass audience. 
As for greatest?  No, not even close.  Shaun of the Dead I felt was funnier AND more true to the zombie sub-genre, and the George A. Romero movies are pretty much the standard for zombie movies. 
Still pretty good, though.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By hatking

I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.  It had a lot of that kind of awkward guy humor that Jesse Eisenberg is real good at... 
probably because he is an awkward guy.  Also it dodged the bullet of too many zombie movie cliches.  It is a different type of "zomedy" than Shaun of the Dead, as that was more of a parody of zombie movies, this was just a straight forward zombie movie that had funny moments.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iam3green

i really enjoyed the movie i thought it was like shaun od the dead. it was just really great movie. 

i made a thread i think it might be on the second page of me saying i saw zombieland.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

hmmm i liked it ti was good, but it wasn't the best, the story sort of fell a little towards the end, and as soon as the girls showed it was like retardation spread around even to the girls them selves.  I mean damn the guys kept getting screwed over by the girls then it spread to the girls...

And i thought it was going to be about....
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ch3burashka
@WilliamRLBaker: If they covered all the rules, I'm sure it'd get annoying as shit. They covered the most important and most relevant ones. That's that.

And the first spoiler, a complete WTF moment: agreed.
scubasteve2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By scubasteve2010

I really enjoyed Z-land. I felt like there very few if any needless or wasteful shots. I actually walked out of the theater wanting maybe another ten to twenty minutes, which I find rare. Also don't let the trailers fool you, this movie has some quite gory moments. However with the comedic approach they took with this zombie flick, the gore never feels excessive or brutal for the sake of brutal. Also...  

Overall I would say a strong 4 out of 5. 

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By rjayb89
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" @WilliamRLBaker: If they covered all the rules, I'm sure it'd get annoying as shit. They covered the most important and most relevant ones. That's that.  And the first spoiler, a complete WTF moment: agreed. "
I dont think id get annoying, I think it would set a great president it would have been an educational, comical zombie movie.

as for that the zombies in this flick just aren't my kind of zombies, I like undead flesh/brain eaters with no intelligence.
these seemed to be another trend of zombie the alive, rabid kind.
DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By DCFGS3

While fun, I think it's a shame the Zombie genre has become so campy, I guess it was inevitable though. Gimme some guns, soldiers and zombies any day.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By End_Boss
@CH3BURASHKA said:

" No, I don't believe it is, but I was very impressed at how it delivered a fun experience condensed into less than two hours; it kept up a rhythm of revelations and zombie-killings so as to not bore the audience, and they succeeded.   Do you (yes, you!) have any thoughts on it, besides OMG IT WAS COOL? As for me, the actor cameo was hilarious. Too bad s/he got killed off so quickly. "

No, I'm afraid greatest zombie flick ever goes to 28 Days Later.

Well, in my world anyways.

@DCFGS3 said:
" While fun, I think it's a shame the Zombie genre has become so campy, I guess it was inevitable though. Gimme some guns, soldiers and zombies any day. "

Just wait for the World War Z movie. The Yonkers scene is gonna' be bananas.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Branthog

Zombieland is a very enjoyable romp, but in no way the best zombie film ever. Note even remotely fucking close. Anyone who feels it's the greatest zombie flick ever either huffs jenkem, hasn't seen many zombie movies, or is one of those idiots who goes around calling every movie they've seen the "greatest movie ever!" . . . until the next movie they watch.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Branthog
@End_Boss said:
" @CH3BURASHKA said:

" No, I don't believe it is, but I was very impressed at how it delivered a fun experience condensed into less than two hours; it kept up a rhythm of revelations and zombie-killings so as to not bore the audience, and they succeeded.   Do you (yes, you!) have any thoughts on it, besides OMG IT WAS COOL? As for me, the actor cameo was hilarious. Too bad s/he got killed off so quickly. "

Not zombies -- infected! Actually, for that matter, there are no zombies in Zombieland, either as they too are merely infected.

And as Max Brooks himself said "there are two kinds of zombies -- the slow moving zombies based on the scientific principal of necrotic flesh and cold circulatory systems slowing their movement . . . and the stupid ones".
turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By turbo_toaster

I found that there was a pretty substantial lack of zombies. I thought it would be more about how they come up with unique ways to kill them (hence the trailers emphasizing the "Zombie Kill of the Week"). Woody and Bill Murray were the redeeming aspects of that movie.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Afroman269
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" hmmm i liked it ti was good, but it wasn't the best, the story sort of fell a little towards the end, and as soon as the girls showed it was like retardation spread around even to the girls them selves.  I mean damn the guys kept getting screwed over by the girls then it spread to the girls...
And i thought it was going to be about....
"
Ya I agree. They something interesting going with the rules but they stopped short. Reasons why I like this though is that people are not completely stupid around zombies and know what to do except for that one part at the *cough* theme park. My only other problem is that the movie needed a bit more zombies. The middle of the movie got kinda boring.
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I enjoyed it a bunch, though it could've been 45 minutes longer.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By GunstarRed

It was enjoyable, not even close to being as fun or clever as shaun of the dead. Woody Harrelson  makes it  a better movie, his character is kinda awesome. 

The "regrets" line is absolutely genius.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By torus

I too felt it was a bit short. I enjoyed it, even though it was by no means great cinema.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By guiseppe

Too short, but loved the cameo although I don't get why he would do what he did :P. I mean... Yeah.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ApertureSilence
@guiseppe: He was stoned.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By End_Boss
@Branthog said:
" @End_Boss said:
" @CH3BURASHKA said:

Not zombies -- infected! Actually, for that matter, there are no zombies in Zombieland, either as they too are merely infected.  And as Max Brooks himself said "there are two kinds of zombies -- the slow moving zombies based on the scientific principal of necrotic flesh and cold circulatory systems slowing their movement . . . and the stupid ones". "
Max Brooks is a great author, but in no way would I consider him the be-all end-all of zombie enthusiasts. Also, making such a silly distinction between the two kinds of zombies is just a little pretentious.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" I enjoyed it a bunch, though it could've been 45 minutes longer. "
At the end it hinted at there being a second one because he said "For now.."
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@iam3green: I really don't like seeing Zombieland being compared to Shaun of the Dead. I feel like they are very different movies. Shaun of the Dead is more of a parody of the zombie film genre. Zombieland on the other hand is a straight up comedic zombie movie. Most of the comedy in Zombieland doesn't come from making fun of Zombie movie conventions like Shaun of the Dead.

Having said that, I think Zombieland is an incredibly fun movie. Everyone should definitely see it.
StarFry64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By StarFry64

I agree that Zombieland is better than Shaun of the Dead (especially the pacing's better) but I wouldn't say it's the best zombie flick ever. Are you saying you're discounting [REC] or Dawn of the Dead?