Zune HD vs. Ipod Touch 3g

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By r0k1ll

My old ipod just recently broke. I was planning to get a new ipod touch, but i saw a lot of comparisons to the zune hd, so i decided to give that a look. Right now, the Zune has me more interested than the ipod touch. I mostly want good UI and a good browser. Most of the ipod apps don't interest me, and the Zune will have a few good apps similar to the ipod's. I like the nice screen on the zune. One thing, however is that I have not spent any money on the itunes store. I think Microsoft Points are more convenient, so that is a plus. What do you think?

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By FCKSNAP

Get and Android  based product.

This post brought to you by Google

Averhoeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Averhoeven

I've had a Zune since the originals and I've loved them. Haven't picked up an HD yet because I don't have the cash, but the Zune interface is slick and easy to use. The PC software is nice as well. 
One thing you CANNOT overlook, but many sites do when comparing the 2 is that the Zune has the Zune Pass. For $15 a month you can download AS MANY CDs as you want which stay valid for as long as you have a subscription and you can download 10 songs that are permanently yours every month. So, if you do that in Itunes pricing, you are buying 10 songs every month and getting unlimited access to their entire catalog for just $5 a month, that's a steal. 
Plus, the HD is just a sexier device... you know it. The HD looks like a man's player, the Ipods and Iphones both look like something my girlfriend would find cute in her purse.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By r0k1ll
@Averhoeven: Do you work at Microsoft?
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I hate all things touchscreen as its just pointless. Why give up the old click-wheel and bigger HD for a flashy UI and smaller HD? 

I personally prefer itunes for its quick sync ability, and hey, you can pirate music anyway ;)

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By DukesT3

I would go with the Zune HD. Its a new product, its different and looks super slick. I know I wish i could pick one up, but Im stuck with an iMac.. so that blows.. and also having the option to use a zune pass to pay 15 bucks a month to download all the music you want. Thats a pretty good deal right there. So my vote is for the zune hd. 

fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fynne

Depends on what you want.  The Touch is more like a handheld computer since it can be coded for.  The Zune HD excels at media (especially with that screen).  It's the screen that would be the clincher for me.....if I could buy it.  I just have to hope that it comes out in Canada someday.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By KamasamaK

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Zune HD's UI, but the browser isn't quite as good as the iPod Touch's. Other than that, here is a nice comparison in table form.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Novyx

Gizmodo said pretty much that for pure media playing, the Zune HD raises the bar on every level.

http://gizmodo.com/5360126/zune-hd-review-the-pmp-evolved

EDIT: Um, do links not work with Opera or something?

Redsand26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Redsand26

I'm a fan of the Zune software, especially the latest 4.0 update.  Zune pass isn't such a bad deal either.

Averhoeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Averhoeven
@r0k1ll said:
" @Averhoeven: Do you work at Microsoft? "

Nope, just a big fan of my toys (note I said I didn't have an HD yet). I tend to do my research and find what works best for me so when others ask similar questions I feel fairly informed enough to answer them.
Postromo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Postromo

I use a zune for the same reason The Duke was my favorite controller. It fits really well in my freakishly huge hands. My fingers are way too big for touch screens too. So yeah, zunes.

THANATOS899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By THANATOS899

Zune

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wolverine
@r0k1ll said:
" My old ipod just recently broke. I was planning to get a new ipod touch, but i saw a lot of comparisons to the zune hd, so i decided to give that a look. Right now, the Zune has me more interested than the ipod touch. I mostly want good UI and a good browser. Most of the ipod apps don't interest me, and the Zune will have a few good apps similar to the ipod's. I like the nice screen on the zune. One thing, however is that I have not spent any money on the itunes store. I think Microsoft Points are more convenient, so that is a plus. What do you think? "
  Unless your some sort of music junky that needs to have subscription music on their player get a touch. I have had a Zune 120, an iPod Touch, and I currently use a iPhone 3G S and if you can't get a iPhone get an iPod Touch. The iPod Touch has a variety of useful apps and a much better web browser than the one on the Zune HD. Also the Zune Marketplace sucks compared to iTunes because you have to use microsoft points to buy songs. Subscription music is cool at first but after a few months the $15 bill you get each month gets really irritating.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolverine
@Averhoeven said:
"

I've had a Zune since the originals and I've loved them. Haven't picked up an HD yet because I don't have the cash, but the Zune interface is slick and easy to use. The PC software is nice as well. 
One thing you CANNOT overlook, but many sites do when comparing the 2 is that the Zune has the Zune Pass. For $15 a month you can download AS MANY CDs as you want which stay valid for as long as you have a subscription and you can download 10 songs that are permanently yours every month. So, if you do that in Itunes pricing, you are buying 10 songs every month and getting unlimited access to their entire catalog for just $5 a month, that's a steal. 
Plus, the HD is just a sexier device... you know it. The HD looks like a man's player, the Ipods and Iphones both look like something my girlfriend would find cute in her purse.

"
I disagree with you on your claim that the iPhone and the iPod touch look feminine in any way, shape, or form. Physically both devices are superior. The iPod Touch is thinner than the Zune HD and has a 3.5 inch screen opposed to the 3.2 inch screen that the Zune HD has.
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

I bought the Zune 80GB, and it really is a great media device, but, honestly, it is too big.  

Went back to my old 1st generation 2GB Nano and I couldn't be happier. It's small, simple, and just a sexy looking piece of hardware overall.  

NOTE: I am not dissing the Zune, nor am I an iPod fan by any means. 

bagleyjw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bagleyjw

I have had a Zune since the original and there are some pros and cons to the device. I have a 30gig and have a friend with the 80 and both have all the same issues. Maybe they are fixed in the HD but I doubt it. 
1. Video from the Zune Software to the Zune is INSANELY slow. Even if the video you are moving over is in a Zune supported format it has to "convert" the video to the format it is already in. This process takes anywhere from 10 mins for a music video to 4 hours or more for movies. I seriously started a movie syncing a movie to my zune around 11pm one night, went to bed and woke up around 7am with it still converting. 
2.The $15 a month is a cool offer, but the downside is the zune software randomly not updating the license agreements on your downloaded songs. Nothing sucks worse than to leave to go somewhere and hop in the car expecting to play some music, and the only thing that happens is the Zune goes from song to song to song endlessly until it goes through the entire library and shuts off, never playing any of them. Me and my friend both have delete everything off the zune and re sync which will take hours. My friends 80gig took 14hours to re sync and re license every song. So yea, thats what $15 a month gets you. 
3.The Zune software is a resource hog, and very clunky. 
4.My Zune will randomly restart which automatically puts the volume down to 9, and if I am in the middle of a podcast, will not save my spot which forces me to try and find it myself. 

I really liked the Zune when it first came out and when I saw the Zune HD my initial thought was "Awesome, I want that" but then i quickly changed my mind. The main issue is why would I get a Zune HD????? It takes 4 hours to sync one sub standard definition movie I cant imagine how long an HD one would take. Oh and battery life on video is awful, maybe 2hrs.

Averhoeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Averhoeven
@bagleyjw:
1) and 2) Sounds to me like you have USB 1.0 and an old PC running into it. That's going to effect any USB device you transfer to, not just a Zune. I have never had any of those problems as far as speed. Multi-core processing, etc will always help with video encoding and USB 2.0 (or the newly released 3.0) will definitely cause your transfers to be faster. It's converting the video to a resolution that makes sense for your device, why waste the memory if you aren't going to use the higher resolution. That said, your problem may actually be alleviated by an HD since it has a purpose to maintaining resolutions higher than its screen displays (though memory size may become a new problem and is the reason I haven't updated yet).  
The resyncing issue is likely a problem with the Zune software/your computer maintaining a connection to the Zune database to reupdate your licenses. I've never had that issue. Do you have an always on connection (eg: not dial-up)?
3) I run Vista (another purported resource hog), my Zune software, Outlook, AIM, usually multiple browser windows/tabs, and a game over dual monitors (game on 1, remainder on the other). Without the game right now, but all those other things running I have 10% CPU usage on each core and 45% of my RAM and this is on a PC I built 3 years ago. The Zune software (which is playing) accounts for 4% of a single core of that CPU usage and 150mb of RAM. For a media application and one that pretties up while you are playing, I'm not really gonna complain about that. 
4) Sounds like it may be time to upgrade your 1st gen Zune. Podcasts were a feature added later in the life cycle of the Zune and they may not work as well on 1st gen devices. It saves my location on 2nd gen devices, never used a podcast on my 1st gen. 
5 sorta) Most sites are saying the Zune HD and Touch are fairly equal with battery life clocking in around 35hrs of music and 8hrs of video. But, you know, 2hrs is a close guess.... perhaps the constant charging and discharging your 1st gen Zune's battery over the past 3ish years has worn it out a bit as happens with any battery.  
Most comparisons have the Zune HD lasting longer and charging faster than the Touch... and that's what you always wanted in your boyfriend isn't it?
6) Zune HD is thicker than the Ipod Touch by 0.4mm. Do you REALLY think that difference is significant? It is smaller in its height and width though while its screen is only 0.2" smaller, but a much nicer, prettier OLED screen instead. Considering that the Zune is a native 16:9 screen and the Touch isn't, you likely lose some of that screen to letterboxing. Your choice. If you want to go by height and weight, take a look at 75g vs 115g (or 1/3 the weight difference). It would be like your 180lb girlfriend dropped to 120lb. Heffer to sexy most likely ;)

To me, most of your problems seem to stem from a combination of old PC and old (1st gen) Zune. 

TL;DR version..... It really matters what you want from your device. The Zune is a media device mostly for people who love music (and lots of it) and want some very nice video playback abilities as well. The Zune Pass alone makes the Zune better for the people who want a media device. The Ipod Touch is a poor man's Iphone. What it does better is the huge list of apps, etc that turn it into a little pocket computer. Whether the Zune Marketplace will ever be able to compete with that, I don't know even if the Nvidia Tegra chip in the Zune is more than capable. And frankly, I have a smart phone for that stuff. I bought my Zune to be a media player.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By turbomonkey138

if you get a zune everyone will think your cool

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@Wolverine said:

" @Averhoeven said:

"

"
I disagree with you on your claim that the iPhone and the iPod touch look feminine in any way, shape, or form. Physically both devices are superior. The iPod Touch is thinner than the Zune HD and has a 3.5 inch screen opposed to the 3.2 inch screen that the Zune HD has. "
except the zune hd has a 3.3 oled screen. *which is and has at last check a far better resolution then the 3.5 lcd screen.*
Edit: i was wrong the ipod touch has a higher resolution but I do believe the zune hd has a higher dpi.