Zune vs. iPod

MisterShak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MisterShak

The question is simple: Which is better? The Zune or the iPod? I'm trying to decide between the 16gb iPod Touch, mostly for Safari,  and the 80/120gb Zune because it's interface is damn sexy. The problem with the Touch is that it doesn't have nearly enough storage for me, especially for the huge price tag.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Karmum

I'm probably bias, but I have used both the iPod and the Zune, and I enjoy the Zune vastly more than the iPod. I think the iPod Touch is great, though, and will get one eventually just to jailbreak it, and for internet access.

120GB Zune is a bit riduclous, but if it isn't much different from the 80GB Zune (which I have), I won't fret much.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Don't get the Zune, The UI is clunky and Microsoft does not know what they are doing in the music industry. They update twice a year,and the updates are useless. It's almost like they forgot they made the Zune, because they haven't done crap. Plus, no equalizer, no browser. Just pixely video and ho hum audio quality. I want a iTouch 2g, and I own a Zune 80 now.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Karmum
BestUsernameEver said:
"Don't get the Zune, The UI is clunky and Microsoft does not know what they are doing in the music industry. They update twice a year,and the updates are useless. It's almost like they forgot they made the Zune, because they haven't done crap. Plus, no equalizer, no browser. Just pixely video and ho hum audio quality. I want a iTouch 2g, and I own a Zune 80 now."
The only browser is on the iPod Touch, so that shouldn't be a huge complaint. And two updates a year is an extremely ridiculous claim. The interface is great, and I love how Apple managed to make the new iPods to look more similar in look to the Zunes, and the interface. They update every few months, and the marketplace is great as well. Actually, there are few updates, but point me to where the iPods are update regurarly, and I'm sure those updates all are meaningful.

The updates are not useless, since one of the few updates has games support, which is a step-up to the previous iPods. I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy it, but it certainly isn't useless.

Why did you get a Zune 80GB if you knew you would hate it? The Zune has several features that I think are better than the iPod. Look at the new iPods, and compare them to the Zunes, notice the new interface on the Nanos and look.
GameMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GameMaster

I would the iPod Touch. I bought one and I don't regret it one bit. At first, I jailbroke it. Very, very simple process. It's great to have it jailbroken, free apps and stuff like that. One day, I decided I wanted to upgrade to official 2.0.2. All I did was connect my iPod to the computer and then just press restore. It automatically restores the firmware, OS, and all files on it to factory defaults. What I am trying to say with this little "story" is that it is extremely easy to use the Touch and is very customizable. The Zune, not so much. Plus, with the advent of the App Store, you can get free (as well as paid apps) on to your iPod legally. Don't forget, many games are coming out in the App Store for iPod Touch/iPhone like Need for Speed: Undercover (the graphics are simply amazing), Spore, Crash Bandicoot Racing (also amazing graphics).

Bottom line: iPod Touch
MisterShak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MisterShak

From what I know the Zune's updates actually add features to the player. And the updates are free for all those who own older Zune's.

One thing I still can't get over is the storage problem. 16gb is absolutely nothing considering I already have 13gb of music and if I include movies and music I easily have over 50gb of media on my computer. That's a very conservative guess by the way.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By dj

I prefer the iPod. I love the interface cause its so easy to use.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Bulldog19892

I prefer the Zune, but then again I've never owned an iPod. I definatly love it though.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Shawn

I prefer Zune. I had a 30gb ipod and it broke and I had a warranty and I got a newer version 80gb Zune for the same price. I'm so glad I made that decision, Zune software is so much better than itunes, although marketplace doesn't have as much content as itunes. It's growing. Zune software is also really conveniently for streaming wirelessly to my 360.

So I'm going to go with Zune until Apple actually does something for ipods besides making them skinnier.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Demyx

Yeah, the marketplace doesn't have as much content, but at least music is DRM free.

MisterShak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MisterShak

Oh and the screen is sexy on the Zune. In comparison to the iPod classic at least...

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BestUsernameEver
Karmum said:
"BestUsernameEver said:
"Don't get the Zune, The UI is clunky and Microsoft does not know what they are doing in the music industry. They update twice a year,and the updates are useless. It's almost like they forgot they made the Zune, because they haven't done crap. Plus, no equalizer, no browser. Just pixely video and ho hum audio quality. I want a iTouch 2g, and I own a Zune 80 now."
The only browser is on the iPod Touch, so that shouldn't be a huge complaint. And two updates a year is an extremely ridiculous claim. The interface is great, and I love how Apple managed to make the new iPods to look more similar in look to the Zunes, and the interface. They update every few months, and the marketplace is great as well. Actually, there are few updates, but point me to where the iPods are update regurarly, and I'm sure those updates all are meaningful.

The updates are not useless, since one of the few updates has games support, which is a step-up to the previous iPods. I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy it, but it certainly isn't useless.

Why did you get a Zune 80GB if you knew you would hate it? The Zune has several features that I think are better than the iPod. Look at the new iPods, and compare them to the Zunes, notice the new interface on the Nanos and look."
Shawn said:
"I prefer Zune. I had a 30gb ipod and it broke and I had a warranty and I got a newer version 80gb Zune for the same price. I'm so glad I made that decision, Zune software is so much better than itunes, although marketplace doesn't have as much content as itunes. It's growing. Zune software is also really conveniently for streaming wirelessly to my 360.

So I'm going to go with Zune until Apple actually does something for ipods besides making them skinnier."
Lol, what has Microsoft done for Zune? added half assed xna games? Add loseless playback that iPod has had for years?Decreased resolution on a bigger screen? Yeah, iPod has done way more in the same lifetime of the Zune, whicg might be why iPod is still on top.
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver
Karmum said:
"BestUsernameEver said:

Why did you get a Zune 80GB if you knew you would hate it? The Zune has several features that I think are better than the iPod. Look at the new iPods, and compare them to the Zunes, notice the new interface on the Nanos and look."
I don't hate it, I just think iPod is more serious with the players. Plus, nano's did not copy off Zune at all. They combined all three previous Nano designs into one. The only reason the interface is almost the same on iPod is because there's no other way to set up the interface with that screen size. Please don't flame me if I didn't attack you.
Avatar image for monty_the_great
Monty_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Monty_The_Great

I still have my H3 edition Zune, and I have a 16gb iPod touch. In my eyes there is no real comparison here, the touch is light years ahead of my Zune. I was skeptical at first about only having 16gb to use because I have loads of movies and a ton of music. iTunes is far superior to Zune interface. Its easier to make playlist, to add and remove music of video's and not to mention that almost every accesory made for any mp3 player is made for the iPod. Also the touch has Safari and the new ones are $100 cheaper now so you can get the 32gb for the price I paid for my 16gb and it has a built in speaker. Plus the games that you can get on the touch as sweet.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karmum

I never flamed you, at all. And yes, the Apple has similar looking designs/interfaces with their new Nanos in comparison to the Zunes.

No offense, but if you cannot tell any similarities in style in these two videos, and the interfaces, you are crazy.

The music screens are definitely similar, the design, for the most part, is. Not the wheels (obviously), but the screens have a resemblance.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Absurd

If you need the extra space get the zune I guess?

Edit:That new iPod looks cool, I might get one if my current one breaks (I've had it for 3 years).

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By DARKIDO07

I am not a fan of Apple products at all, but I really don't like the Zune too much either. Creative Zen and Insignia FTW!

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BestUsernameEver
DARKIDO07 said:
"I am not a fan of Apple products at all, but I really don't like the Zune too much either. Creative Zen and Insignia FTW!"
Or Archos and Samsung... just a thought.
Silverain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Silverain

I think Apple's coming out with a nice new iPod that's similar to the Zune but with new features.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf

If you don't think that the touch has enough storage why don't you get the iPod classic which is really cheap and holds 120 GB?

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Zune is better the only problem is it came out later. Now your going to ask why is it better

• Durability
  • Dont come out with a new one every year
  • Price
  • The only thing that is possibly not better is Zune Marketplace vs Itunes but even then at zune.net you can see what your friends listen to which is cool
  • I have seen alot of broken ipods from charging glitches and other things
  • Send music all they need is to be able to send music and keep it if it is a album you bought or downloaded and can only send to one friend or something

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RetroIce4

Zune fo sho.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By SSbabel

soley becasue i've never owned a Zune im going with Ipod plus Ipod owns a whole lot more of the market than the Zune or any other MP3 player.

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Joker

I heavily prefer the Zune. I feel the interface very easy-to-handle and also its brilliant. Also its much cheaper for how much storage in there. To me, its a better product than the iPod, although that is my opinion.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By CharleyTony

I recently had to buy a 80GB Zune as a gift to my brother an I was the one that updated it and played with it to fill it with mp3's.
I was really pleasently surprised how good the Zune was. It really is a true equal with an iPod classic.

The interface looks great and sexy annd you can play games (not its in beta but apparently hexic and texas hold em will come out soon)

the 3.0 firmware update for the Zune will fix some things and might bring new features, possibly. If its a good set of features Im sure I will buy a 120 GB Zune in the near future.

A good thing to note is that every time that Zune has hadd firmware updates, even the "old" 30 GB Zune (the ugly one) has been able to work with it giving the user the same experience.

The only thing I dont know is I havent really used the Zune marketplace yet , but for me the only use I have for the iTunes store is getting podcasts....

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Demilich

iPods are cheaper. And haven't broken on me. Maybe if Zune's could offer some larger models for the same price I'd try one.

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Major
BestUsernameEver said:
"Microsoft does not know what they are doing in the music industry."
You're acting like they're a record label....
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Verdugo

I own a 4G I Pod Nano and love it. The 150 dollar price tag for 1000 songs worth of storage is a great deal to me.

MisterShak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MisterShak

They're the exact same price right now.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

whoa whoa whoa..there's a 120 GB Zune? But I think I'll stick with my 80 GB one, it's mad sexy ;)

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwoOneFive

zune is nice, but ipod is sexy and has the best interface imo. the new nanos are down right cool

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By AndrewGaspar

iPod, but mostly just because iTunes is the best music service.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Hardware: Zune > iPod

Software: Zune < iPod

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Manks

iPod because I enjoy the UI more and iTunes is great music software, IMO.

darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By darthzew

You know what? Get the Zune just so you don't get an iPod. I know that sounds like fanboy rubbish, but it's time we started levelling the playing field with the MP3 player industry. Seriously, the "i" monopoly needs to die. 

I have a 4GB Zune and I love it. My sister has an iTouch and it's cool but I'd take my Zune over it any time. But all of this boils down to opinion. 
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Wolverine

Get the 32 gb version, it is pretty awesome and it looks way cooler then the Zune but you get more with the Zune and it still looks awesome. Your choice.