Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Edited By Claude

No Caption Provided

I wanted to write something for you the Giant Bomb faithful and my fellow video game loving brethren. My wife passed away today after having a stroke early Monday. Why am I doing this you ask? Because Giant Bomb became my place to be when my wife's health took a turn for the worse. At the same time Jeff was fired from Gamespot, I had to quit my full time job to concentrate on my wife and become her caregiver. Jeff's blog and later Giant Bomb gave me that safe haven for fun and video games. I was 43 years old at the time and now I'm sitting at 47. I've played a lot of video games in my life starting with the great Pong. Well, Pong was kind of simple, but you know what I mean. 

My wife had a chronic disease called Lupus and with that many illnesses manifested themselves. She was diagnosed when she was 18 years old, and we started dating when she was 24. I was 23. Even with all the health issues, I saw her become a mental health therapist and she was still practicing part-time at the time of her death. June of this year would have marked twenty years of marriage. I loved her dearly and always will.

Being that Giant Bomb is just a click away on the internet, it's safe to say I've read all the well wishes and good thoughts coming my way. Being a member of Giant Bomb has meant a lot to me. I've been up and down emotionally and sometimes I can take out my frustrations here good and bad. Sometimes I feel great creativity in writing my strange and obtuse blogs. Other times I try to help and be a good guy. And then there's the forum fun, odd polls and maybe just a little bit of trollism hidden in there. I've met many people here that I consider friends and would enjoy sitting and chatting about life and video games.

As for the community, don't let anyone tell you you're just the internet. I'm a firm believer in speaking your mind and letting your opinion be heard. I believe in Giant Bomb and I believe in you. So let your freak flag fly Giant Bomb. I ain't going no where. Don't ban me, bro!

Thank you all for the good thoughts. And remember that the internet is not such a bad place, we're just going through growing pains because our world is getting smaller. 

Claude
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Claude

No Caption Provided

I wanted to write something for you the Giant Bomb faithful and my fellow video game loving brethren. My wife passed away today after having a stroke early Monday. Why am I doing this you ask? Because Giant Bomb became my place to be when my wife's health took a turn for the worse. At the same time Jeff was fired from Gamespot, I had to quit my full time job to concentrate on my wife and become her caregiver. Jeff's blog and later Giant Bomb gave me that safe haven for fun and video games. I was 43 years old at the time and now I'm sitting at 47. I've played a lot of video games in my life starting with the great Pong. Well, Pong was kind of simple, but you know what I mean. 

My wife had a chronic disease called Lupus and with that many illnesses manifested themselves. She was diagnosed when she was 18 years old, and we started dating when she was 24. I was 23. Even with all the health issues, I saw her become a mental health therapist and she was still practicing part-time at the time of her death. June of this year would have marked twenty years of marriage. I loved her dearly and always will.

Being that Giant Bomb is just a click away on the internet, it's safe to say I've read all the well wishes and good thoughts coming my way. Being a member of Giant Bomb has meant a lot to me. I've been up and down emotionally and sometimes I can take out my frustrations here good and bad. Sometimes I feel great creativity in writing my strange and obtuse blogs. Other times I try to help and be a good guy. And then there's the forum fun, odd polls and maybe just a little bit of trollism hidden in there. I've met many people here that I consider friends and would enjoy sitting and chatting about life and video games.

As for the community, don't let anyone tell you you're just the internet. I'm a firm believer in speaking your mind and letting your opinion be heard. I believe in Giant Bomb and I believe in you. So let your freak flag fly Giant Bomb. I ain't going no where. Don't ban me, bro!

Thank you all for the good thoughts. And remember that the internet is not such a bad place, we're just going through growing pains because our world is getting smaller. 

Claude
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Christ... what now? Actually, that end bit was slightly uplifting. You're gonna be OK, bud.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That second paragraph made me tear up a bit....  But even in a post like this, you managed to make me laugh.  Im really sorry this happened to you....  

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

As your original nephew here on Giantbomb, this is damn tough to read. There's really not much I can say, but I hope you can get through this. I watched my girlfriend's sister lose her husband and it tore her up, you could really see her decline, but she began seeking help and talking to others, and eventually she came to terms with the situation.

The difference is you had to watch your wife's health decline over time, she had lost her husand in a helicopter crash, but losing someone you love so dearly is all the same. Uncle Claude were all here for you buddy, I wish you and your family the best.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UnrealDP

I know you've already gotten a lot of these, but best of wishes, mate. Couldn't be sorrier about the death... It's a damn shame..

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By ReyGitano

It's amazing that you can write something so beautiful from something like this. Just goes to show what you mean to us around these parts.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Claude
@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
That second paragraph made me tear up a bit....  But even in a post like this, you managed to make me laugh.  Im really sorry this happened to you....  
Made you laugh.  Ha, it worked. My night is finally slowing down. I'm using this time to escape and collect my thoughts.
Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Zippedbinders

Its not nearly the same as losing your wife, but I just lost one of my good friends to a car accident on tuesday, so I can at least understand a fragment of what you're dealing with at the moment.

Well wishes and all of my condolences good sir.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By monetarydread

Wow. I'm sorry to hear that Claude. Best wishes to you man.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By erinfizz

Oh dear, I'm so sorry for your loss. Stay weird Claude. <3

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

Sorry to hear about your wife. Best of luck to you! 

Don't go anywhere Claude, we'll watch your back man!  

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jozzy

Inpirational as always, Claude. I hope Giantbomb and its community can help you get through these throubling times.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By landon

I'm so sorry for your loss, Claude. :(

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Dany

Stay strong.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Aetheldod

Oh dang it ....  Claude my condolences and best wishes

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Coafi

Claude, I'm so sadden to hear the terrible news. I wish for you and your family the best. I'm glad you at least have the strength to report back to us. Remember, the GiantBomb community will be here waiting for you!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By DarthOrange

You have got a giant heart Claude. All I can say is that I am grateful to know you even if it is only through these forums.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By grilledcheez

Sorry this happened to you Claude, stay strong and steady.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Sorry to hear about that, man. Let us know if you want some cheering up and, you know, want to play some games. I know I, and probably some other motherfuckers, would be happy to oblige.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

Damn. Keep your head up.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Claude, I am so extremely sorry to hear that. My condolences, and my thoughts are with you.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Fuck.

I am so, so sorry my friend.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By breadfan
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By musubi

Best Wishes duder. Thats rough stuff.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By matthew

Eat some really good food. Like some of that famous BBQ back east. Eat twice as much because you know thats what your wife would've wanted you to do.

Rock on good sir.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By BoG

All the best, Claude. Our hearts our with you.

Avatar image for nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor
nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope you're able to recover from this.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Daveyo520

:( Sorry Duder.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By vonFlampanker

Can't even begin to imagine what it's like. My best to you and yours in a trying time.

Lando81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Lando81

My prayers are with you and your family.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cathryn

I am so sorry to hear about this. My condolences and thoughts are you with you and yours tonight, Claude.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By buzz_clik

Shit, mate, I don't even know what I can say. I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ckeats

Chin up duder, stay strong.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By TJ311

I'm so sorry Claude. You have my condolences and I'm sorry for your loss...

cheddartyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cheddartyme

wow man I don't know you but that was really heartfelt. It strange how something as silly as this site can mean so much in certain circumstances.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By frankfartmouth

I'm sorry to hear about your loss brother. I've struggled with severe health issues for the past several years myself, not too dissimilar from lupus, and I know exactly what you're talking about when you describe the sanctuary that gaming can provide. You seem like a really cool guy, and I'm sure your wife was quite a lady. Best regards.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NathHaw

People who spend that long together probably had something special. Well wishes to you.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By Hailinel

My condolences, and I wish you the best, Claude.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rpgee

Life throws us shit ones, and some more than others, but the fact that you can keep strong in such times is inspirational, to say the least. You do your wife a great service in your strength, and in being proud of her. My sincerest condolences, and remember that GB always has Uncle Claude's back.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Commisar123

I'm really sorry to hear that. I don't know what to say so I'll just leave my condolences and hope that you are doing as well as you can.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By korwin

Dude...

I'm not sure I can articulate an appropriate response here, however you have my sympathies.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By X19

Nothing I can really say Claude... Shit... I'm really sorry.

Community is with you man.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm sorry to hear that this happened, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Lets keep giantbomb awesome guys. If not for ourselves, then for Claude.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#45  Edited By Little_Socrates

Fuckin' Christ, dude. I can hardly believe it. I know that we're probably a world away right now, but know that I'm here for you, and all of us are here for you. I'll be awake well into the night, so feel free to PM me if you just feel like talking one-on-one with a 19-year-old college kid trying to stay awake to study for finals.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JJOR64

Stay strong duder. Stay strong.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By KarlPilkington

<3

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Claude
@Little_Socrates: My wife loved college. She had two undergraduates and one graduate and she would say you need to get off the internet and study.
B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By B0nd07

My condolences. We're all here for you. If you ever need/want something 'shopped, just give me a shout.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By bacongames

What a man does in those circumstances at that age I could not even begin to imagine and hope that I never have to. I'm happy that you can come to this community and know we're all going to rally around and support you. For reminding me what this community is capable of I thank you and I am like everyone else saddened by your loss. Honestly it's moments like these, through thick and thin, that makes this community what it is.