"I'mma make a video game!" Part 4

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Driam

Right. While I've made some progress in these past five days, I'm not as far along as I've hoped. I basically lost two days of work when a buddy drove down to celebrate my birthday, resulting in me spending friday and saturday playing MW2 and RE5 with him, instead of grinding in C#. I'm hoping to get some more work done tomorrow, when I'm set to show off what I've made to the other programmers. Hopefully their stuff won't be too far ahead of what I've done. 
Also, sorry for not answering some of the questions people wrote for the previous posts I've made. I'll try to get better at it.

So where you at, dawg?

Cleaned up some of the UI, since I don't want there to be a tonne of debug-information for when I'm demoing the game. 
Built five simple levels to show off, extended the editor-mode to allow me to create goal-areas and enemies. 
Fixed the timer so that it actually keeps track of the player's score, and added a pause-menu and a victory screen that's shown when the player reaches the goal. 
Looked into functionality for saving the player's time on their storage unit, but abandoned it in favor of other issues. Will have to come back to it later.
The version shown below is the one I've now submitted to my professors for them to evaluate whether I've passed this part of the course I'm taking right now.
The time is now 7:51 AM. I need to go home and try to get some sleep.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Driam

Right. While I've made some progress in these past five days, I'm not as far along as I've hoped. I basically lost two days of work when a buddy drove down to celebrate my birthday, resulting in me spending friday and saturday playing MW2 and RE5 with him, instead of grinding in C#. I'm hoping to get some more work done tomorrow, when I'm set to show off what I've made to the other programmers. Hopefully their stuff won't be too far ahead of what I've done. 
Also, sorry for not answering some of the questions people wrote for the previous posts I've made. I'll try to get better at it.

So where you at, dawg?

Cleaned up some of the UI, since I don't want there to be a tonne of debug-information for when I'm demoing the game. 
Built five simple levels to show off, extended the editor-mode to allow me to create goal-areas and enemies. 
Fixed the timer so that it actually keeps track of the player's score, and added a pause-menu and a victory screen that's shown when the player reaches the goal. 
Looked into functionality for saving the player's time on their storage unit, but abandoned it in favor of other issues. Will have to come back to it later.
The version shown below is the one I've now submitted to my professors for them to evaluate whether I've passed this part of the course I'm taking right now.
The time is now 7:51 AM. I need to go home and try to get some sleep.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Emilio
@Driam:  
Hey, that ain't too bad fella. Keep it up!
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shiftymagician

Man I didn't realise someone here was actually attempting to make a game here.  Yet here you are at part 4 of your endeavour no less!  Keep up the good work, and always modularise what can be modularise to minimise redundant instructions.  Oh yea and also, don't forget your semicolons hehehe.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Sorry, I haven't been following, but are you using Unity 3D? Looks good though.

Driam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Driam
@ShaunassNZ: Nope, XNA Game studio 4.0. Heard a little bit about Unity, but haven't bothered to read up on it.
Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Good stuff, Driam...it looks promising. Perhaps if this (when it is finished) gets picked up as a Indie game on STEAM or PSN, I would purchase it.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By keyhunter
@Driam:  Good sir, you've combined basketball, marbel madness, roll away, and Turok 2 into one package. You are a genius and I wish you great fortune.