The best of The Adam Carolla Show (January 2006) -- over 16 hours

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

Edited By zanzibarbreeze

We're back with a non-gaming recap! You may know us from our recaps of The HotSpot (2005), The HotSpot (2006), and 1UP Yours (2006).

This time we're covering the first month of the original Adam Carolla Show, which began in 2006 as a morning radio show. I guess most people associate morning radio with not entertaining commentators and idiotic stunts and not funny bits, but Adam Carolla's show was always a cut above the rest. It was entertaining and interesting and informative, and above all that it had Adam Carolla behind it, who remains one of the funnier people in the business of podcasting.

Our past three recaps have been limited to gaming shows, but I have plans to branch out into other genres. You guys, as well as NeoGAF users and other gaming boards, have been awesome in your support -- we've gotten thousands of downloads and hundreds of subscribers. I'd like to thank you all for your support and great feedback, both positive and constructive.

In 2005 Adam Carolla left his storied position at Loveline, a late-night teen relationship advice show, to take up an offer to do morning radio. The fruit subsequently borne was The Adam Carolla Show, a four-hour drive time talk show that was always funny and always entertaining and always informative. Built up by comedic mastermind Carolla, none of the messages and comedy imparted here are anything less than timeless.

The following podcast covers the month of January 2006, and has been split into four parts, with each part representing a successive week. Please download all four parts for the optimal listening experience.

So, this show is just over sixteen hours long. I guess it's great for the commute and airplane trips. Here's Part A, Part B, Part C, Part D. I've fixed the RSS feed issues we've had. The second part of the 2006 HotSpot show should be appearing in your RSS readers now, including iTunes, and all four parts will appear. If you want to keep up with our latest releases, you can follow us on Twitter, or strike on the RSS feed.

For all those wondering, I'm halfway through The HotSpot (2007). That'll be out later this month. I'm always keen to take suggestions on what we should do next; my next goal is to finish 1UP Yours (the 2007 and 2008 years). Many want GFW Radio. I'm all into what you guys want to hear, so that may very well be next. Also, I do want to cover the Giant Bombcast. What do you guys think? All feedback is welcome. (Also, I've been down with some nasty cross-mix of bird flu and swine flu for the last few weeks, so I do have to apologize for my seemingly moody tone during the voice overs in this show. I was going to avoid doing them, but some segments needed setting up. I've kept them to a minimum.)

Please enjoy! I realize Adam Carolla may not be in everyone's wheelhouse, but this perhaps serves as the best introduction to him available.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

We're back with a non-gaming recap! You may know us from our recaps of The HotSpot (2005), The HotSpot (2006), and 1UP Yours (2006).

This time we're covering the first month of the original Adam Carolla Show, which began in 2006 as a morning radio show. I guess most people associate morning radio with not entertaining commentators and idiotic stunts and not funny bits, but Adam Carolla's show was always a cut above the rest. It was entertaining and interesting and informative, and above all that it had Adam Carolla behind it, who remains one of the funnier people in the business of podcasting.

Our past three recaps have been limited to gaming shows, but I have plans to branch out into other genres. You guys, as well as NeoGAF users and other gaming boards, have been awesome in your support -- we've gotten thousands of downloads and hundreds of subscribers. I'd like to thank you all for your support and great feedback, both positive and constructive.

In 2005 Adam Carolla left his storied position at Loveline, a late-night teen relationship advice show, to take up an offer to do morning radio. The fruit subsequently borne was The Adam Carolla Show, a four-hour drive time talk show that was always funny and always entertaining and always informative. Built up by comedic mastermind Carolla, none of the messages and comedy imparted here are anything less than timeless.

The following podcast covers the month of January 2006, and has been split into four parts, with each part representing a successive week. Please download all four parts for the optimal listening experience.

So, this show is just over sixteen hours long. I guess it's great for the commute and airplane trips. Here's Part A, Part B, Part C, Part D. I've fixed the RSS feed issues we've had. The second part of the 2006 HotSpot show should be appearing in your RSS readers now, including iTunes, and all four parts will appear. If you want to keep up with our latest releases, you can follow us on Twitter, or strike on the RSS feed.

For all those wondering, I'm halfway through The HotSpot (2007). That'll be out later this month. I'm always keen to take suggestions on what we should do next; my next goal is to finish 1UP Yours (the 2007 and 2008 years). Many want GFW Radio. I'm all into what you guys want to hear, so that may very well be next. Also, I do want to cover the Giant Bombcast. What do you guys think? All feedback is welcome. (Also, I've been down with some nasty cross-mix of bird flu and swine flu for the last few weeks, so I do have to apologize for my seemingly moody tone during the voice overs in this show. I was going to avoid doing them, but some segments needed setting up. I've kept them to a minimum.)

Please enjoy! I realize Adam Carolla may not be in everyone's wheelhouse, but this perhaps serves as the best introduction to him available.
iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By iWonder

Damn, 16 hours? The world is not ready for this much Carolla.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By DougQuaid

Ooohh boy!

returnofjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By returnofjake

GFW should be done, it was my favourite 1up show once it found it's feet :)

mrlogical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mrlogical

Thanks so much for these--I've really enjoyed what I've heard of the Hotspot stuff so far., 6 hours or so in.  The Hotspot was the first podcast I ever listened to, in late 2006 (I stumbled upon the concept of videogame podcasts when I was looking for info on the Wii launch), so it's fun taking a look back at the beginning and reliving the early days of when I jumped in.

I'm not sure if I'll pick up the Carolla stuff--I've listened to a ton of his podcast, and enjoyed it, but I've kind of burned out on him, especially because of the way he repeats the same rants over and over and over.  At this point, I could tell you each of the 17 different things he yells about the Mayor of LA every single time the man is mentioned, or detail all of his thoughts on the receptionist at E! who wouldn't let him in to be a guest on the Soup, or explain why he really shouldn't have had to get a building permit when he was doing some work on his house.  Then again, maybe a highlight reel style review of his show would reduce that problem.  I'll probably check it out at some point.

I'd love to see a best of GFW Radio, the Sports Anomaly, or maybe even SModcast, if you're venturing beyond videogame podcasts.

Thanks again for your work!  If you ever set up a donation page or something, I'd be glad to chip in a few bucks.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@mrlogical said:

" I'm not sure if I'll pick up the Carolla stuff--I've listened to a ton of his podcast, and enjoyed it, but I've kind of burned out on him, especially because of the way he repeats the same rants over and over and over.  At this point, I could tell you each of the 17 different things he yells about the Mayor of LA every single time the man is mentioned, or detail all of his thoughts on the receptionist at E! who wouldn't let him in to be a guest on the Soup, or explain why he really shouldn't have had to get a building permit when he was doing some work on his house.  Then again, maybe a highlight reel style review of his show would reduce that problem.  I'll probably check it out at some point.  I'd love to see a best of GFW Radio, the Sports Anomaly, or maybe even SModcast, if you're venturing beyond videogame podcasts. Thanks again for your work!  If you ever set up a donation page or something, I'd be glad to chip in a few bucks. "

Heh, I think all Carolla fans feel the same way. To be honest, I'm burned out on his recent podcast, but to this day I go back and listen to his radio show because I feel like it was funnier (and more fresh) due to the cast and different guests that would come in. It's very, very different to what he does today. The guests were understandably bigger and more famous than most of the people he gets on his current show. I haven't listened to an episode of his podcast since the start of January, but that might be because I've been busy listening to a lot of older stuff.

I've actually thought about doing Sports Anomaly. There's a lot of other stuff I want to cover first, but that's a definite thought for the future.

The offer to donate is a very kind gesture. When we get bigger (and maybe if I get other people helping out) I might offer such an option for those kind souls that want to. At this time I have no plans, because I don't want people to think I'm profiting off the work of others. Obviously 98% of these podcasts involves talking done by other people. Any donation option would serve only as a gift, not payment for the release of the show -- something that people can throw out there if they want to. But I've no plans to do that at this time.

Speaking generally now for all who are interested, it had crossed my mind to get some better technology set up so that we might expand how we do things. Like, I'd thought about asking original hosts to come on the show and talk about some of the behind the scenes stuff. Maybe 10/20 minute interviews about the show's history. But I need to get a better microphone on my end, and maybe some better software. If we start getting more recognition and our name out there to the point where people know us, I might be in a position to start doing those kind of things.

In other words, the future will be rad. I've got some crazy awesome ideas, and with each episode we get more subscribers and more interest. In two months we've gotten over 500 subscribers (and truckloads more individual downloaders), which is what I expected after a year, let alone two months. As I said, the Giant Bomb and NeoGAF communities have been awesome in their responses.
CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By CastroCasper

Ohhhhh Fuckkkkkk Yessssss

Scribbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scribbly

Wooo, more This Year, 16 hours is in-frickin-sane, looking forward to listening!

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DougQuaid
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @mrlogical said:

" I'm not sure if I'll pick up the Carolla stuff--I've listened to a ton of his podcast, and enjoyed it, but I've kind of burned out on him, especially because of the way he repeats the same rants over and over and over.  At this point, I could tell you each of the 17 different things he yells about the Mayor of LA every single time the man is mentioned, or detail all of his thoughts on the receptionist at E! who wouldn't let him in to be a guest on the Soup, or explain why he really shouldn't have had to get a building permit when he was doing some work on his house.  Then again, maybe a highlight reel style review of his show would reduce that problem.  I'll probably check it out at some point.  I'd love to see a best of GFW Radio, the Sports Anomaly, or maybe even SModcast, if you're venturing beyond videogame podcasts. Thanks again for your work!  If you ever set up a donation page or something, I'd be glad to chip in a few bucks. "

Heh, I think all Carolla fans feel the same way. To be honest, I'm burned out on his recent podcast, but to this day I go back and listen to his radio show because I feel like it was funnier (and more fresh) due to the cast and different guests that would come in. It's very, very different to what he does today. The guests were understandably bigger and more famous than most of the people he gets on his current show. I haven't listened to an episode of his podcast since the start of January, but that might be because I've been busy listening to a lot of older stuff.  
Amen! 

I haven't bothered to catch up for this very reason and I don't think his current format has helped it either. The episodes where Adam is able to sit one on one with a guest and have a decent conversation with them (without constantly interrupting them) are magnitudes better than the faux-radio format he's taken to.
proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By proflate

My only request is don't get burned out bro. You've already got a ton of upcoming projects, you don't need all this input so early on what the 6th one down the line is.

Scribbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scribbly

Eeehhh, after listening to the first part of this one I think it's not for me. Carolla just strikes me as a pretty annoying asshole, and worst of all I don't find most of the jokes funny. I may listen to the rest if I'm bored, but I've heard better. I hope I'll enjoy the next episode of This Year more. Still great work on the editing and explanation sections, smooth jazz is definitely the best background music.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By yakov456

I listen to uncensored Carolla every day, not sure I want to go back in time and hear him have to bottle up his rants. It's funny though that most people who do not like him dislike him because he is brutally honest and not afraid of offending anybody.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CastroCasper

At the start of this, you mention I can subscribe on iTunes. What should I look for?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By JJWeatherman

Oh no, 16 hours? You're trying to kill us.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@kurtdyoung said:
" At the start of this, you mention I can subscribe on iTunes. What should I look for? "
You'll have to forgive me; I actually haven't submit the podcast to Apple yet (I have to download iTunes first). Right now the best way is to simply add your own feed to iTunes which is apparently easy to do, as 75% of my subscribers are doing it through iTunes.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By wrighteous86
@mrlogical said:
" Thanks so much for these--I've really enjoyed what I've heard of the Hotspot stuff so far., 6 hours or so in.  The Hotspot was the first podcast I ever listened to, in late 2006 (I stumbled upon the concept of videogame podcasts when I was looking for info on the Wii launch), so it's fun taking a look back at the beginning and reliving the early days of when I jumped in. I'm not sure if I'll pick up the Carolla stuff--I've listened to a ton of his podcast, and enjoyed it, but I've kind of burned out on him, especially because of the way he repeats the same rants over and over and over.  At this point, I could tell you each of the 17 different things he yells about the Mayor of LA every single time the man is mentioned, or detail all of his thoughts on the receptionist at E! who wouldn't let him in to be a guest on the Soup, or explain why he really shouldn't have had to get a building permit when he was doing some work on his house.  Then again, maybe a highlight reel style review of his show would reduce that problem.  I'll probably check it out at some point.  I'd love to see a best of GFW Radio, the Sports Anomaly, or maybe even SModcast, if you're venturing beyond videogame podcasts. Thanks again for your work!  If you ever set up a donation page or something, I'd be glad to chip in a few bucks. "
Same happened to me.  I was a big fan of the podcast for about 2 years, and then last fall just dropped it.  Guess what?  When he was on Dancing with the Stars, he wanted to ride a unicycle and have it be a big surprise, but this stupid bitch didn't understand comedy and didn't realize the surprise reveal was important to his dance.  She kept wanting to put it in the teaser for his dance!  BWAHAHAHAHA!  
returnofjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By returnofjake

I just started listening to this... as a UKer I had never heard any of this show... it's great. Please make more :)

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@returnofjake said:
" I just started listening to this... as a UKer I had never heard any of this show... it's great. Please make more :) "
I'm happy to say that you can expect the February 2006 episode this Wednesday! I'm editing it together now. (Although, since you're in the United Kingdom, I guess that would be early Thursday for you.)

It's longer and better. Adam gets angry about bad music, including American Woman, Witchy Woman, and Maneater. As we learn, all music about evil women is bad. The stint on bad music might very well be in the top three best radio moments; certainly top three Adam Carolla.